Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited November 2023 Posts: 12,837
    Venutius wrote: »
    Sope's got more of that 'masculine alpha male energy that Bond needs' than the rest of these suggestions, combined. IMO, obvs.

Yeah he’s definitely got it in spades, he’s another one I like.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    My only real note so far about O'Connell for Bond is that he might be too close to the Craig look/mold, not that some of the actors haven't looked a bit alike in the past I suppose, so I could easily overlook that if he was excellent.

Yeah I do think that could work against him. From looking at him, you wouldn’t think he was worlds away from Craig. But I think they’re actually quite different as actors. O’Connell is so emotive and physical in all his roles, so that side of him could set him apart from Craig’s detached hiding his emotions behind the eyes kind of Bond. I think he’s more naturally cheeky and charismatic too, so I could see him playing up that side of the character more than Craig did and leaning into the hedonism a bit more. Craig was Mcqueen sort of cool, I think O’Connell could take us back to a Connery sort of cool, but with a more youthful spin on it.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I don't what people see in Mescal as a potential Bond, I don't mean to be harsh to the guy but he looks so ordinary, there's no star quality radiating from him.
    Although I believe he is a good actor
  • O'Connell is too short.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,970
    I do wonder if there's a height restriction for Bond in practice. I know the 5'11 and above number is always quoted, albeit not by the producers directly. I don't think Craig was even that height, and we know he actually had to wear 'lifts' in at least one Bond film.

I mean, for what it's worth I was always shocked that a young Marlon Brando was only 5'8. Could have sworn the guy was 6' having watched some of his earlier films. Big screen presence/physique and all that. Some actors are just like that. Movie magic and those 'lifts' help too.

I mean, I'm sure if EON liked an actor and thought he'd put in a good audition with a serious chance at the role they'd go for it regardless whether he's 5'8 or 6'2, no?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This has been discussed; it one thing to say that height doesn’t matter if the actor can play the role , but realistically there are height parameters, outside of white would be considered too short or too tall. In my view, 5’ 9” and 6’ 5 are the outliers with 5’ 11 to 6’ 4 being optional, 6’ 1 to 6’ 3 ideal.
    talos7 wrote: »
    This has been discussed; it one thing to say that height doesn’t matter if the actor can play the role , but realistically there are height parameters, outside of white would be considered too short or too tall. In my view, 5’ 9” and 6’ 5 are the outliers with 5’ 11 to 6’ 4 being optional, 6’ 1 to 6’ 3 ideal.

I'd be a bit weary of putting exact numbers on this. Like I said Craig isn't even 5'11 (is he 5'10 or something, if not smaller? It's really not something I've noticed in his films. Seriously, tell me his Bond is 6'1 and I'd believe it).

I think ultimately it depends on the candidate. EON would be stupid to pass on a good actor under 5'9, and I think they've shown with Craig they're willing to break convention in some form if the actor possesses the fundamental Bondian potential. There's an element of how the actor presents onscreen as well (like I said some actors just come off as taller even if they're under a certain height. It's also arguably a bonus having a slightly shorter but stockier frame - Craig kinda does and it helped let him build up his physique as Bond).
    007HallY wrote: »

I'd be a bit weary of putting exact numbers on this. Like I said Craig isn't even 5'11 (is he 5'10 or something, if not smaller? It's really not something I've noticed in his films. Seriously, tell me his Bond is 6'1 and I'd believe it).

I think ultimately it depends on the candidate. EON would be stupid to pass on a good actor under 5'9, and I think they've shown with Craig they're willing to break convention in some form if the actor possesses the fundamental Bondian potential. There's an element of how the actor presents onscreen as well (like I said some actors just come off as taller even if they're under a certain height. It's also arguably a bonus having a slightly shorter but stockier frame - Craig kinda does and it helped let him build up his physique as Bond).

Would you agree that 6’ 8” would be too tall and 5’ 4” too short?
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,970
    007HallY wrote: »

Would you agree that 6’ 8” would be too tall and 5’ 4” too short?

You'd probably have to be a specific candidate and have a touch of conscious movie magic implemented during the audition if EON believed in that Bond potential enough, but potentially yes, a candidate could be these heights. But it's extraordinarily unlikely and very much in the realm of being hypothetical. These are the extremes of heights and there are so many other factors when it comes to Bond. It just depends on the candidate like I said.
    You must be an accomplished dancer. Lol.
    You must be an accomplished dancer. Lol.

Unfortunately no, I'm no ATJ!
  • I don't want another Tom Cruise. Height matters.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The only time I ever got a sense on screen that Craig was a bit short was that section in SF, where Silva leads him outside to take the shot at Severine. Not sure why, but that whole section gives it away a bit. Can't remember any other parts of Dan's five films that give that impression so, yes, there's obviously ways of shooting around it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited November 2023 Posts: 7,988
    Ok, after all those pages of rather, how do I put that, woke-discussions, I'm sorry I didn't check them all to see if this guy's been mentioned. But I saw 'The Invitation' last night, and though it's a rather forgettable film, I did like Thomas Doherty in it. Still very young and up and coming actor. And he's a Scot, which perhaps works.
    TD%201.jpeg
    4d51b2c2959cd4fb57a111009fdcdb39b449bca7.gifv

The-Invitation-Cast-Netflix-Thomas-Doherty-De-Ville-2048x1063.jpg

Venutius wrote: »
    The only time I ever got a sense on screen that Craig was a bit short was that section in SF, where Silva leads him outside to take the shot at Severine. Not sure why, but that whole section gives it away a bit. Can't remember any other parts of Dan's five films that give that impression so, yes, there's obviously ways of shooting around it.

Watch the Body Worlds sequence in CR; there are a couple of shots where he looks small. He’s listed at 5’ 10” but I think that’s a stretch.

Either way I think that he just made the cut off.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Ok, after all those pages of rather, how do I put that, woke-discussions, I'm sorry I didn't check them all to see if this guy's been mentioned. But I saw 'The Invitation' last night, and though it's a rather forgettable film, I did like Thomas Doherty in it. Still very young and up and coming actor. And he's a Scot, which perhaps works.
    TD%201.jpeg

You’re a day late, we spent yesterday discussing him. Just go back one page.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    TD%201.jpeg

Oh well, that's what you get when there's been 400+ woke-discussion-posts since you last checked. I find the arguments rather shallow though. The guy is 29, hardly an age where you already are as charismatic as Craig. Lazenby would be the best to compare with, and I don't think he's that far off.
    TD%201.jpeg

Oh well, that's what you get when there's been 400+ woke-discussion-posts since you last checked. I find the arguments rather shallow though. The guy is 29, hardly an age where you already are as charismatic as Craig. Lazenby would be the best to compare with, and I don't think he's that far off.
    While I do have reservations, I can see potential in someone of his performances. I do think a bit of quality weight would help his look
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,085
    Many suggested, I defer to the judgement of the producers they're very good at this.

• LucknFate wrote: »
    Keeping in mind the popular thinking is they want a younger/30ish Bond (and assuming he's white):

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead

I looked up all the ones I'd never heard of (Frankell, Thompson, Batey, Glynn-Carney, and Woodhouse), and the only one that looks very intriguing based on pictures is Luke Thompson. Apparently he's on Bridgerton, but I've never watched that. Anyone have any opinions that have seen him?

luke-thompson2.jpeg

78696138623b29c3d301d8.00807190_.jpg

6ed2646f91b55c112b3993b777fccf3a.jpg

LUKE-THOMPSON-LOW-RES-1.jpg
    I did like him in Bridgerton and I can se him as Bond. He's not done a lot I've seen, though. I saw Transatlantic, but I don't remember him in it (I barely remember the show, though, so that's not a black mark against him or anything).
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,440
    Keeping in mind the popular thinking is they want a younger/30ish Bond (and assuming he's white):

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead

I looked up all the ones I'd never heard of (Frankell, Thompson, Batey, Glynn-Carney, and Woodhouse), and the only one that looks very intriguing based on pictures is Luke Thompson. Apparently he's on Bridgerton, but I've never watched that. Anyone have any opinions that have seen him?

luke-thompson2.jpeg

I did like him in Bridgerton and I can se him as Bond. He's not done a lot I've seen, though. I saw Transatlantic, but I don't remember him in it (I barely remember the show, though, so that's not a black mark against him or anything).

I really want to like Thompson, but there's just something slightly anonymous about him for me. He looks cold with a sternness that I think is a little too far from the needed camp of Bond. I guess he looks too ... intellectual? And not so much suave. That, and he falls a bit into the Dracula camp of actors for me. I know Christopher Lee was a popular choice for Bond, but I never saw it, and it's similar here. Though I agree he has some Fleming-character qualities to his look, and I appreciate that he is a thespian.

A-D-M_LUKETHOMPSON_TELEGRAPH_03-1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqv-ESW68jrBD9XO4U6NfZHcOrCg0zcBWAIOzf6tGJ0uU.jpg
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 6,677
    One note about Sope. I’ve just seen him in Slow Horses and I’m baffled. His voice is unremarkable and I couldn’t find a drop of that alpha male stuff you guys keep on talking about. I found him bland as hell. And my expectations were kind of high. Daniel Craig, in that very same role, would’ve erased all co stars from every frame. Actually, Jack Lowden and virtually every actor and actress from the cast overshadow him in every scene. Really, for me, as of now, Sope is one of the most overrated actors I can think of. Wish I was blown away, positively. Alas, I was not.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Univex wrote: »
    One note about Sope. I’ve just seen him in Slow Horses and I’m baffled. His voice is unremarkable and I couldn’t find a drop of that alpha male stuff you guys keep on talking about. I found him bland as hell. And my expectations were kind of high. Daniel Craig, in that very same role, would’ve erased him from every frame. Actually, Jack Lowden and virtually every actor and actress from the cast overshadow him in every scene. Really, for me, as of now, Sope is one of the most overrated actors I can think of. Wish I was blown away, positively. Alas, I was not.

I've not seen that series yet but have you watched him in Gangs of London?

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead

luke-thompson2.jpeg

I really want to like Thompson, but there's just something slightly anonymous about him for me. He looks cold with a sternness that I think is a little too far from the needed camp of Bond. I guess he looks too ... intellectual? And not so much suave. That, and he falls a bit into the Dracula camp of actors for me. I know Christopher Lee was a popular choice for Bond, but I never saw it, and it's similar here. Though I agree he has some Fleming-character qualities to his look, and I appreciate that he is a thespian.

A-D-M_LUKETHOMPSON_TELEGRAPH_03-1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqv-ESW68jrBD9XO4U6NfZHcOrCg0zcBWAIOzf6tGJ0uU.jpg

I thought of all the Bridgerton males, he was the one with a twinkle in his eye.
    keltg3y.jpg

Looking at your list I'l make a few comments:

Fabien Frankel I think I mentioned back when House of the Dragon started as a potential Bond candidate. His father had been mentioned as a possible Bond back when I was younger, but he tragically died in a bike accident. Fabien totally won me over in the interviews he did for HotD, he really comes across well and he seems to have great chemistry with his female co-stars, but he's just okay on-screen as Ser Criston Cole. I think his lack of experience probably means he wouldn't be in the running, though I like him enough to hope he at least gets an audition.

I like Johnny Flynn too, but I can't see him as Bond, plus he's just hit forty. I always find him very watchable, though.

Fionn Whitehead is a good actor, but at 5'9'' I think he is a little too short, and that makes him look rather young. I've not seen him in anything since Dunkirk, though, perhaps something newer will change my mind.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    One note about Sope. I’ve just seen him in Slow Horses and I’m baffled. His voice is unremarkable and I couldn’t find a drop of that alpha male stuff you guys keep on talking about. I found him bland as hell. And my expectations were kind of high. Daniel Craig, in that very same role, would’ve erased all co stars from every frame. Actually, Jack Lowden and virtually every actor and actress from the cast overshadow him in every scene. Really, for me, as of now, Sope is one of the most overrated actors I can think of. Wish I was blown away, positively. Alas, I was not.

This! Next...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Have seen numerous X posts this morning about actor Harris Dickinson, mostly from thirsting fans. I've never seen anything he's in yet, but he's staring in an upcoming A24 picture with Nicole Kidman, got his start young in theater, and wrote and directed a debut film when he was a teen. Has a few writing/directing credits along with his acting. Could be an interesting contender.

2020:
    yoshi-03.jpeg?p=projectImageFullJpg

from Kingsman movie (I didn't watch past the first one):
    Harris-Dickinson-Kings-Man-2.jpg?w=1920&h=1280&crop=1&strip=all?width=1024

https://x.com/bleuvalentines/status/1728838516145279321?s=20

He was asked about replacing Craig back in July: https://www.koimoi.com/hollywood-news/james-bond-the-kings-man-fame-harris-dickinson-reacts-to-replacing-daniel-craig-reports-says-youd-be-a-fool-to-not-entertain-that-role/

He's 27.

I posted about him a while back, after Triangle of Sadness.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,938
    Try this:

'How many were there? Six?'
    'Eight - but I had a dart, so...'
    Classic.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

I respect this! Credit to you for giving him a fair shake.

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead

luke-thompson2.jpeg

I thought of all the Bridgerton males, he was the one with a twinkle in his eye.
    keltg3y.jpg

Looking at your list I'l make a few comments:

Fabien Frankel I think I mentioned back when House of the Dragon started as a potential Bond candidate. His father had been mentioned as a possible Bond back when I was younger, but he tragically died in a bike accident. Fabien totally won me over in the interviews he did for HotD, he really comes across well and he seems to have great chemistry with his female co-stars, but he's just okay on-screen as Ser Criston Cole. I think his lack of experience probably means he wouldn't be in the running, though I like him enough to hope he at least gets an audition.

I like Johnny Flynn too, but I can't see him as Bond, plus he's just hit forty. I always find him very watchable, though.

Fionn Whitehead is a good actor, but at 5'9'' I think he is a little too short, and that makes him look rather young. I've not seen him in anything since Dunkirk, though, perhaps something newer will change my mind.

Cheers. The list is mostly for chatter.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring

Yes I was a little disappointed myself when I finally saw him. He is one of the better potential candidates I've seen, but that speaks more to how unimpressive I find the competition.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sope is still a firm favourite contender for me.
    Sadly the likes of Aidan Turner are going to be aged out by the time Bond 26 goes into production.