The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• edited July 2012 Posts: 2,107
    Except it'll be as Batman

That's also spot on. The whole idea was for Blake (or Robin Blake) to take over the mantle of Batman.

Batman is a murderer.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Haha, that was great. I love 'Cracked.' Guaranteed laughs every time I log on to that site.
    Saw the movie, while it was spectacular in action it did not disguise the predictability of the whole movie. I was kind of put off by the whole grumpiness of each character. Alfred was wasted in a totaly out of character action, Bale did not add anything new from his previous 2 movies. Bane lost the scary aspects he had in the comics and turned out to be a total 2D character. The end surprise was none whatsoever and the end was a shambles.
    Nolan did far better with the previous installments who were at least original.

Pluspoint: Hathaway was impressive, Zimmers music was the best in the trilogy, and it was no 3D movie. The popcorn was good and the Dr. Pepper was nicely chilled.
  • SharkBait wrote:
    Except it'll be as Batman

That's also spot on. The whole idea was for Blake (or Robin Blake) to take over the mantle of Batman.

or will he?
    Hans Zimmer writes a song in dedication to the Aurora victims:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=93026
    ^ what a class act :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    SaintMark wrote:
    Saw the movie, while it was spectacular in action it did not disguise the predictability of the whole movie. I was kind of put off by the whole grumpiness of each character. Alfred was wasted in a totaly out of character action, Bale did not add anything new from his previous 2 movies. Bane lost the scary aspects he had in the comics and turned out to be a total 2D character. The end surprise was none whatsoever and the end was a shambles.
    Nolan did far better with the previous installments who were at least original.

Pluspoint: Hathaway was impressive, Zimmers music was the best in the trilogy, and it was no 3D movie. The popcorn was good and the Dr. Pepper was nicely chilled.

Now there is a surprise!
    obin_gam wrote:
    ^ what a class act :)

Indeed. The thoughts and work that I've seen Nolan, Zimmer, and Bale put forward thus far are quite generous.
    they could do a second trilogy that by the third movie Wayne is back as batman.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,782
    I was reading about the in your face tricks used by Kubrick in The Shining and how numbers and events in the film were there just to mess us with us and get us talking, Nolan has taken that onboard from another film master. I still think Robin is a tease and not to be taken anything than it's just his name and that the B man is no more.

Jack's body in the Shining is never found but he appears in a photograph that he should never have been in. Same with Bats, Alfred is the only one who sees him....Kubrick want us to think we should leave it to our imagination, an open ending, but he dies in plain sight, same as the Bat.

Nolan is messing with us. He did say it was the end for him and his Batman; the end of a legend, the truth is in plain sight.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,422
    Saw it a couple of day ago; very good. I’d put it behind TDK, in the Nolanverse.

Some observations -

LTK helicopter and plane, where Bond is winched down to Sanchez’s plane; eerily similar to the beginning on TDKR.

The Bat is chased around by heat seeking missile, a’la Octopussy.

I found Bane/ Talia to have parallels to Renard/Elektra – terrorist’s controlled by some uber-bitch.

Oh, and Bane sounds just like Sean Connery. :D
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,767
    The cost of being Batman and Iron Man:
    http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18474467.html
    The memory cloth cape is surprisingly cheap.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    royale65 wrote:
    Saw it a couple of day ago; very good. I’d put it behind TDK, in the Nolanverse.

Some observations -

LTK helicopter and plane, where Bond is winched down to Sanchez’s plane; eerily similar to the beginning on TDKR.

The Bat is chased around by heat seeking missile, a’la Octopussy.

I found Bane/ Talia to have parallels to Renard/Elektra – terrorist’s controlled by some uber-bitch.

Oh, and Bane sounds just like Sean Connery. :D

Yeah, i did notice that do. Kind of funny :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Watched the film yesterday.
    I . LOVED . IT!

I also feel like being a fan of the comics pays off.
    Even though I firmly believe that Blake becomes Batman while Bruce retires, I have to admit this is pretty damn cool:

gusnyc-nightwing.jpg
    That poster looks pretty cool, but unless I'm overlooking something - or I'm going off of Nolan's trilogy too heavily - shouldn't it be 'Knight'?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That poster looks pretty cool, but unless I'm overlooking something - or I'm going off of Nolan's trilogy too heavily - shouldn't it be 'Knight'?
    That depends on what the film is about ;-) .

Hey, I'm down. Pretty cool poster.
    Creasy47 wrote:

It may be a reference to Nightwing.

@boldfinger, touche ;)

@DarthDimi, true. I really need to catch up on my Batman and superhero history.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    obin_gam wrote:
    Dreaming of a future that will never come
    in87aitWDmzPS.png
    :)

Is Batman Beyond a comic?
    Even though I firmly believe that Blake becomes Batman while Bruce retires, I have to admit this is pretty damn cool:

gusnyc-nightwing.jpg

This is what I thought would happen after Bruce retired.
    Seeing the film for a third time tonight. I'm looking forward to it.
    Saw it for the second time tonight and have my ticket at home for the third viewing tomorrow. I love it! After my first viewing I left with a sour taste (still liked it but not as much as TDK and BB), but this second viewing it grew on me. Love the epicness Nolan has brought into Batman. TDKR is imo a great and worthy conclusion to The Dark Knight saga and though it might not reach the almost perfect TDK it is not far from it!

Rating: 9.5/10
    lulz You have to read it in Bane's voice

538994_898237597871_513896116_n.jpg
    I just saw TDKR yesterday and I think it was great. Full of memorable scenes and a magnificent ending. Hathaway surpassed all my expectatives on her. In relation with TDK, it has a more simple story and Bane didn't reach the Joker. Nevertheless I think it was a excellent third and last part of the saga and a good movie by the way.
    Saw it today, and loved every minute of it. Of course, being a comic book fan, I couldn't help but notice the sources of the script. Knightfall, of course, but also The Cult, a bit of No Man's Land added for good measure, Frank Miller's interpretation of Catwoman (complete with sidekick Holly). But also "La Torture par l'Espérance", by Villiers de l'Isle-Adam. French littérature as an inspiration for a super-hero movie ? Didn't expect it.

And yes, Anne Hathaway gave a really great performance, on a par with Michelle Pfeiffer's. I have great hopes for her as Fantine in Les Misérables. She has already make me cry like a baby with her interpreataion of "I Dreamed a Dream". What can I tell you, I'm a big softy.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,169
    SaintMark wrote:
    Zimmers music was the best in the trilogy
    I disagree. The soundtrack from BB is much better, with this being one of the highlights IMO:
    I feel compelled to overall praise Zimmer's (and Newton Howard's) scores for the Nolan trilogy. Seldom have I heard such a variety of themes for several pivotal characters (Batman, Ra's, The Joker, Bane, ...) with so few notes on average per theme. The Joker's theme for example is basically one long, stretched-out single note. Bane's theme is heavy male choirs repeating the same word. Yet it works! This is a fairly unique achievement, I think, breaking with superhero traditions (see Williams' Superman theme, Elfman's Batman theme, Ottman's FF theme, Silvestri's Avengers' theme, ...) and in fact breaking with most traditions. It is, however, incredibly effective!

I know some people are annoyed by the scores for the Nolan Batman films, probably feeling much more comfortable with easily hummable, old fashioned, fully orchestrated hero themes. Since The Dark Knight, however, I've come to realise that the very same cold, cerebral, mathematically precise filmmaking Nolan applies to this trilogy is reflected in the music. Why waste instruments or notes on musical extras just to meet general expectations, when you absolutely don't need them? Imagine a full score, then stripped note by note to its bare essentials. What remains is what is absolutely needed, clean and sterile, precise and adequate.

Nolan seems to favour such scores. Before he collaborated with Zimmer, his go-to artist was David Julyan, a man who also prefers gentle impressions over big bombast, and subtle strokes of music over heavily perfumed artistic arrogance.

Is this to become the new sound of filmmusic? I dare say no. When Nolan does what he does best, it appears that we need it. However, a film like Avengers glitters and shines with layer upon layer of grandeur and exposition. It thrives on thick build-ups of audiovisual elements. The package is part of the excitement. The strength of Nolan's Batman films, by contrast, lies more often in what is implied rather than shown. Reducing the level of superficial stimuli in service of the deeper meanings they carry, these films benefit from the less-is-more principle in most departments. I guess not everyone is into that kind of stuff. I myself, however, am. I praise the music for the Nolan Batman trilogy as nothing short of brilliance, despite its modesty.
    @DarthDimi, it's random, but since you pointed out that both Newton Howard and Zimmer worked on Nolan's trilogy, I realized today after re-watching Mann's 'Collateral' that Zimmer was originally going to do the music for the film, and then Newton Howard stepped in to do so. I don't know why, I just always enjoy piecing stuff like that together.