The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Comments

Roll on September!!! :-bd
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Final Trailer

Awful music choice.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, I didn't realize just how close we are to the premiere now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I have Prime indefinitely so will watch it, some of the dialogue in the trailer felt a bit clunky may work better within scene. Its the sheer scale of budget and how well they realise Middle Earth is my primary motive for watching. Some of the characters seem a bit off.

I have Prime indefinitely so will watch it, some of the dialogue in the trailer felt a bit clunky may work better within scene. Its the sheer scale of budget and how well they realise Middle Earth is my primary motive for watching. Some of the characters seem a bit off.

If the world-building and scale are terrific and it's not a bloated mess of CGI and green screen 24/7, I'm totally in. Some of the shots look fabulous and others look overly produced or way too clean.

If the world-building and scale are terrific and it's not a bloated mess of CGI and green screen 24/7, I'm totally in. Some of the shots look fabulous and others look overly produced or way too clean.

There is no substitute for real locations and I much prefer when CGI just enhances images. I do like the Hobbit films though there was way too much CGI. HOTD the first episode got that balance right.

There is no substitute for real locations and I much prefer when CGI just enhances images. I do like the Hobbit films though there was way too much CGI. HOTD the first episode got that balance right.

Absolutely. CGI is at its best when you don't even notice it, whether it's lingering in the background or extending the size and scope of a particular location.

I enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy less and less as it went on. The first one was actually pretty great, sans a few moments, I didn't really care for the second but I thought the conclusion to the trilogy was by far the worst, like a video game cutscene or something. It felt like literally everything was computer generated in that one.

What those films could've been like had Jackson gotten another year or two of pre-production prep is interesting to think about.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The music of the new trailer though, but I really like the score....I just finished listening to it.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yeah the actual score is really good.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,378
    The Rings of Power S1E1 This looks expensive as it should do with the amount of money thrown at this and some of the visuals are stunning. Early on in the premiere I was thinking this show is pointless and does not need to exist though as a fan of fantasy genre I will go with it for now.

The biggest issue I have with the first episode is it for the most part boring, some of the acting is a bit flat well most of the acting is, I am not impressed with the script. I felt like a passive viewer throughout, I did not connect with any of the characters. If I had left the room for 30 minutes I would not have missed anything.

The first episode of House of the Dragon made a far greater impression on me on first watch.

The Rings of Power will have to improve or I will likely give up on it due to boredom.

The score has a few good themes, I liked the piece of music playing through the end credits.

I will watch episode 2 in a few hours.
    The Rings of Power S1E1 This looks expensive as it should do with the amount of money thrown at this and some of the visuals are stunning. Early on in the premiere I was thinking this show is pointless and does not need to exist though as a fan of fantasy genre I will go with it for now.

The biggest issue I have with the first episode is it for the most part boring, some of the acting is a bit flat well most of the acting is, I am not impressed with the script. I felt like a passive viewer throughout, I did not connect with any of the characters. If I had left the room for 30 minutes I would not have missed anything.

The first episode of House of the Dragon made a far greater impression on me on first watch.

The Rings of Power will have to improve or I will likely give up on it due to boredom.

The score has a few good themes, I liked the piece of music playing through the end credits.

One of the biggest sins any film or series can have for me is boredom, so it's a shame hearing that the pilot (one of the most important episodes in a series' run) is dull. I didn't realize the show premiered at 9 pm last night, thought it was dropping today (not overly familiar with Amazon's release schedule) so I'll have to check the episodes out sometime this weekend.

One of the biggest sins any film or series can have for me is boredom, so it's a shame hearing that the pilot (one of the most important episodes in a series' run) is dull. I didn't realize the show premiered at 9 pm last night, thought it was dropping today (not overly familiar with Amazon's release schedule) so I'll have to check the episodes out sometime this weekend.

Totally agree the biggest sin of any media is if it is boring, I have seen 'Bored of the Rings' banded about, another reviewer who thought the first episode was boring did say the second was much better and felt more like Lord of the Rings.

I have not seen the second episode yet so hopefully it will improve. It needs to as after the second episode that will be 2 hours and 15 minutes of the story gone already.

Totally agree the biggest sin of any media is if it is boring, I have seen 'Bored of the Rings' banded about, another reviewer who thought the first episode was boring did say the second was much better and felt like Lord of the Rings.

I have not seen the second episode yet so hopefully it will improve. It needs to as after the second episode that will be 2hours and 15 minutes of the story gone already.

I've already seen a couple of reviews on Letterboxd this morning that echo your same thoughts: amazing visuals, terrible or boring storytelling. That's a shame to hear.

If it picks up steam, great, and it'll make the pilot look better in hindsight, but kicking off a brand new series with a dull introduction is never a good look.

Totally agree the biggest sin of any media is if it is boring, I have seen 'Bored of the Rings' banded about, another reviewer who thought the first episode was boring did say the second was much better and felt like Lord of the Rings.

I have not seen the second episode yet so hopefully it will improve. It needs to as after the second episode that will be 2hours and 15 minutes of the story gone already.

I've already seen a couple of reviews on Letterboxd this morning that echo your same thoughts: amazing visuals, terrible or boring storytelling. That's a shame to hear.

If it picks up steam, great, and it'll make the pilot look better in hindsight, but kicking off a brand new series with a dull introduction is never a good look.

Some audiences may be a bit confused as to what is going on without giving spoilers, I know the creators have there hands tide behind there backs as to what source material they can use though if they are going to make stuff up they still need to explain the significance of things happening.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 40,480
    I've unfortunately never read any of the source material so I'll go into it knowing only what they're telling and showing me. Let's hope it's not too confusing.
    I've unfortunately never read any of the source material so I'll go into it knowing only what they're telling and showing me. Let's hope it's not too confusing.

The writers are only allowed to reference material of the first or second age from the appendices of Lord of the Rings and nowhere else. If some thing from the appendices also is in The Silmarillion its ok for them to use it though not the other way round.

Confusing is probably the wrong word though a huge character is prominent during the prologue that they kind of brush over, admittedly they can't say too much about the character because of legal rights, the foundation on which this show is built on is weak to say the least.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 4,247
    I just finishing watching it. It's good. What I would say is, episode one is more of an expository episode, hence the abundance of dialogue scenes which can easily create boredom. But Wow! episode two is almost like an action thriller, it's very good. I must say Morfydd Clark really embodies Galadriel. Clark is set to become a huge star after this show.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I just finishing watching it. It's good. What I would say is, episode one is more of an expository episode, hence the abundance of dialogue scenes which can easily create boredom. But Wow! episode two is almost like an action thriller, it's very good. I must say Myofydd Clark really embodies Galadriel. Clark is set to become a huge star after this show.

Just about to watch episode 2 now, hoping it improves its pacing.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I just finishing watching it. It's good. What I would say is, episode one is more of an expository episode, hence the abundance of dialogue scenes which can easily create boredom. But Wow! episode two is almost like an action thriller, it's very good. I must say Myofydd Clark really embodies Galadriel. Clark is set to become a huge star after this show.

Just about to watch episode 2 now, hoping it improves its pacing.

Yeah, it really does.
    Quickly watching the prologue to the first episode again, its the best part of the episode.
    The image of Sauron looks awesome.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Quickly watching the prologue to the first episode again, its the best part of the episode.
    The image of Sauron looks awesome.

Yes. That shot has a very celestial look.
    The Rings of Power S1E2 it is still not without its issues though a vast improvement on episode 1, there are some genuinely great moments despite the narrative being disjointed though you could argue there is barely a story. They have established enough intrigue in this episode to draw me into the show. Ultimately it will be difficult to really judge the season until i have watched all the episodes, there are a lot of new characters that are made up, though one particular unknown character I can guess who that is.
    It’s phenomenal so far for me.
    The Rings of Power S1E2 it is still not without its issues though a vast improvement on episode 1, there are some genuinely great moments despite the narrative being disjointed though you could argue there is barely a story. They have established enough intrigue in this episode to draw me into the show. Ultimately it will be difficult to really judge the season until i have watched all the episodes, there are a lot of new characters that are made up, though one particular unknown character I can guess who that is.
    Yeah, I think as it progresses, it gets more lucid. Then when doing a rewatch of the show, everything is likely to come together.
    matt_u wrote: »
    It’s phenomenal so far for me.
    Yeah, me too. I like it.

The great thing is that this is just the beginning. Thru the seasons we are going to see the rise of Mordor, Celebrimbor forging the Rings of Power (with the help of Annatar aka Sauron in disguise), the fall of Numenor by the hands of the Valar, Durin's bane with the Balrog, the Last Alliance of Men and Elves against Sauron, briefly seen in the Fellowship prologue, and lots of other great stuff.

I already sense a lot of surprises coming, like the real identity of "meteor man" that is just obvious to me... open at your own risk:
    gandalf-smile.gif

Also, the soundtrack pretty much spoils the identity of another character...
    Halbrand is most likely Sauron.
    The Rings of Power S1E3 Visually stunning no question, unfortunately this show is dragged down by poor dialogue and bad acting. The pacing is a major issue the Half-foot scenes last as long as an age of middle earth, we are 3 hours 20 minutes into the show any progression that has been made so far could have been achieved in half the time.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I think I'm enjoying The Rings Of Power though. It might even be better than House Of The Dragon....I think.
    I think I'm enjoying The Rings Of Power though. It might even be better than House Of The Dragon....I think.

I will stick with The Rings of Power as there is a through line story with a certain character I am interested to see develop. House of Dragon for me is the better show at the moment, though I do like political intrigue.

You could argue that the shows are very different from each other underneath obvious fantasy similarities on the surface.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

I will stick with The Rings of Power as there is a through line story with a certain character I am interested to see develop. House of Dragon for me is the better show at the moment, though I do like political intrigue.

You could argue that the shows are very different from each other underneath obvious fantasy similarities on the surface.

Yeah, The Rings Of Power...it is.
    The Rings of Power S1E4 The first 2 minutes and last 2 minutes were good. There was a lot needless filler in this episode that went nowhere, the bad acting and poor characterization is dragging this show down for me.

I really need to switch my Tolkien brain off as I am finding this show very frustrating.