The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    It's interesting the title doesn't reflect the reported Saruman-focused plot. The Madness of Saruman etc.

I'm not a LotR scholar, but according to the press releases around the title reveal the story is set during the "Second Age" and according to fan-wikis Saruman only came to Middle Earth during the "Third Age" as a direct consequence of the actions that end the "Second Age" and possibly the series.
    So it seems like they pivoted away from that idea.

And just to give an idea of what the breadth of the series could be:
    The Second Age lasted for 3,441 years, and ended with the defeat of Sauron and his army by the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, a century after the Downfall of Númenor.

This age was characterized by the rise (eventually with increased insolence) of Númenor, and Sauron in Middle-earth, the emergence of the Ringwraiths, and the early wars of the Rings between Sauron and the Elves. The One Ring came into existence during this period.
    And picking just a handful of timepoints from the wiki-timeline: Sauron returns in ca. the year 500. The One Ring is forged in about 1600 and then in 3441 the ring is cut of his finger and the Second Age ends as seen in the prologue of the films. And of course a whole mess of other things happens in between.
    I can't even begin to imagine how someone would break this story in such a way that it could work as a television show...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Personally I can't wait, the title is relevant to the era in which it is set. Lord of the Rings is likely there in the title initially for mass audience sake as its very recognisable.
    I really hope this is as good as the movies? Love the movies! :-bd
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The teaser trailer will drop alongside the Super Bowl this upcoming Sunday, February 13th:

https://deadline.com/2022/02/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-teaser-trailer-super-bowl-1234927712/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The teaser trailer will drop alongside the Super Bowl this upcoming Sunday, February 13th:

https://deadline.com/2022/02/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-teaser-trailer-super-bowl-1234927712/

Really not sure what to expect though with so much money spent I hope its epic!

I really hope to see the money on screen and hope even more that the CGI doesn't suffer at all as a result of post-production time/the budget/etc.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm cautiously excited.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I really hope to see the money on screen and hope even more that the CGI doesn't suffer at all as a result of post-production time/the budget/etc.

I heard WETA are doing the effects so it should be pretty damn good.
    It seems to be suffering the same fate as a lot of fantasy-related works these days, where everything is ultra clean and nice looking. Hopefully that's just for a photo shoot, though, and everything in the series looks much more lived-in and worn.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    It seems to be suffering the same fate as a lot of fantasy-related works these days, where everything is ultra clean and nice looking. Hopefully that's just for a photo shoot, though, and everything in the series looks much more lived-in and worn.

It almost feels like pandering to the con and cosplay crowds, which almost always seem to out-character current works.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,326
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I’m not really sure what to think. I really want to be excited for this but it’s not really giving me Middle-Earth vibes. This looks more like the second season of The Wheel of Time. I’ll still give it a watch but until I see another, and hopefully better trailer I’m currently unimpressed.
    It looks like just another fantasy series; nothing feels as if it really belongs or fits, like Jackson's original trilogy nailed, and the CGI gives me bad The Hobbit vibes.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,326
    I deleted my initial reaction as did not want to sound too negative.

As someone who has studied Tolkien I think I will pass on whatever that was.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I want it to do well. But ever since Peter Jackson released his trilogy, we've had lots of fantasy films/series and the sight of abnormal creatures doesn't really impress people instantly anymore. But I think two things it really needs to succeed, is relentless suspense and pace. We already know there's going to be lots of action and CGI fest. And Oh, Howard Shore's music would help it a lot.
    True, it takes a lot these days to create the wow factor.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah I agree regarding The Hobbit comparisons. Even that monster looks a lot like Azog, but there were a couple of really promising shots in there. I also really like Morfydd Clark who can be seen hanging on for the dear life.
    The shot of Galadriel climbing the icy cliff/mountain, they lifted that straight from The Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Its not a good first trailer, there was zero edge to it, nothing grabbed me at all.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    How can something so expensive come off looking so cheap and tacky???

It looks like a budget mish-mash of every other contemporary series.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    How can something so expensive come off looking so cheap and tacky???

It looks like a budget mish-mash of every other contemporary series.

I really hoped we would see the money on the screen. I know this is a mere tease of what's to come but I can't say this footage did anything but dissuade any optimism I had.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think we are seeing the money on screen. Remember this is a TV show, and it certainly looks more expensive to me, but in the way that CGI is just really expensive. You would think with the budget they had, they would make an effort to do things more practical, I understand the Tolkien universe is very grandiose but at the moment it feels like every single aspect of the landscape is CGI, besides that one panning hill shot.
    Indeed, I wish they would've made everything as practical as possible. Some of that CGI still looks way too bendy and cartoony, I don't know how to explain it. Again, gives me major flashbacks from The Hobbit, like that ice-jumping sequence in the third one, I believe. I think it's time for me to accept the LOTR trilogy was an extremely positive and rare outlier.
    I worry about the trailer because it tells me nothing. Not a good start for storytellers trying to convince me. That said, it's clear A LOT of care and craft is going into this project, no matter what the baseline story is, and I will say the trailer had a few shots that convinced me it will be a visual feast, no doubt.

I think this is going to be a series that gets a few big moments very right; I think the battles may be something special, they are clearly trying to push their boundaries of fantasy action. Whether the rest of the show is good, I don't think it will be but I just can't know yet.

At this point I'm going to watch it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Oh will definitely be watching. We don't know, the scripts could be the best thing about it.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Oh will definitely be watching. We don't know, the scripts could be the best thing about it.

I am worried about the main character. She is supposed to be thousands of years old, I don't want her acting like a bratty teenager.
    I worry about the trailer because it tells me nothing. Not a good start for storytellers trying to convince me. That said, it's clear A LOT of care and craft is going into this project, no matter what the baseline story is, and I will say the trailer had a few shots that convinced me it will be a visual feast, no doubt.

I think this is going to be a series that gets a few big moments very right; I think the battles may be something special, they are clearly trying to push their boundaries of fantasy action. Whether the rest of the show is good, I don't think it will be but I just can't know yet.

I get that it's a teaser but definitely worrisome when it tells you virtually nothing about what to expect.

Despite my pessimism and worries, I'm sure I'll line up to watch it once it releases, too, but will quickly duck out if it's not for me. I don't have the time to sit through shows I'm half-interested in anymore.

I get that it's a teaser but definitely worrisome when it tells you virtually nothing about what to expect.

Despite my pessimism and worries, I'm sure I'll line up to watch it once it releases, too, but will quickly duck out if it's not for me. I don't have the time to sit through shows I'm half-interested in anymore.

I see what you're saying before about the CGI. I think the issue is they are filming a lot of practical elements, fire, molten metal etc. When you film those, the exposure has to be really dark to pick up the flaring highlights from the heat because the objects are so bright.

When you composite those elements onto regularly-exposed scenes with characters and environments, the lightning of the set is different than the lighting of the effects they shot for real, and your brain knows the hot stuff should be blowing out the camera bc it's bright. Basically by doing it for real, they are literally showing you too much and our brains know our eyes don't work that way.

I look forward to this coming out, fingers crossed it is good?!!!!! :-bd
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 1,394
    That trailer is getting completely destroyed on social media.Maybe having a Vaniity Fair article attacking the fans wasn’t a good idea?

“ Evil cannot create anything new,it can only distort and destroy what was invented by the forces of good “.