Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• The next guy should at least look happy.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The next guy should at least look happy.

Lol, yes, Howle has a good , but not great , look ; but in virtual every clip that I’ve seen, the ones here and others, he always looks worried. There’s not a hint of alpha male in him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    But what about his chin?

I'm sure nowadays an appropriate chin can be added onto the actor's face in post-production using visual effects. No need to worry. Either that or the prop department can construct a prosthetic one in a similar vein to Connery's hairpiece.

Good point: we must construct the perfect Bond :D
    Anyway, at risk of derailing the thread, I'll reiterate there's something to Howle. He does strike me looking at more clips as more suited to a breezier, more lighthearted portrayal of Bond rather than necessarily one with that bit of darkness, but I'm not sure if I have enough to go on. Again, worth an audition.

Interesting thought; I've only seen him in one thing that I know of and didn't get that impression, but I think I wouldn't mind it if it were the case.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,752
    But what about his chin?

I'm sure nowadays an appropriate chin can be added onto the actor's face in post-production using visual effects. No need to worry. Either that or the prop department can construct a prosthetic one in a similar vein to Connery's hairpiece.

Anyway, at risk of derailing the thread, I'll reiterate there's something to Howle. He does strike me looking at more clips as more suited to a breezier, more lighthearted portrayal of Bond rather than necessarily one with that bit of darkness, but I'm not sure if I have enough to go on. Again, worth an audition.

Interesting thought; I've only seen him in one thing that I know of and didn't get that impression, but I think I wouldn't mind it if it were the case.

I bet even if EON constructed the 'perfect' Bond using entirely CGI for the next film people on this forum would still complain that his chin or voice weren't strong enough, haha.

Yeah, I really don't have enough to go on for this actor. Ah well, it's great to have some fresh faces. One never knows who it'll be until the time comes anyway.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent

I bet even if EON constructed the 'perfect' Bond using entirely CGI for the next film people on this forum would still complain that his chin or voice weren't strong enough, haha.

Just wait until IO show their original CGI James Bond model, I'm sure we'll be able to find fault in it... that's if they ever get around to making it
    But what about his chin?

Yeah, I really don't have enough to go on for this actor. Ah well, it's great to have some fresh faces. One never knows who it'll be until the time comes anyway.

It probably pales in comparison to the evaluations that EON is conducting. I find it humorous that some try to appear above assessing an actor, in part, based on their physical traits. Yes, many qualities must be taken into consideration but trust me physical appearance is one. Barbara Broccoli is going to have to look at an actor and think to herself,’ that’s Bond’
    Of course looks alone will not land him the job.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    But what about his chin?

It probably pales in comparison to the evaluations that EON is conducting. I find it humorous that some try to appear above assessing an actor, in part, based on their physical traits. Yes, many qualities must be taken into consideration but trust me physical appearance is one. Barbara Broccoli is going to have to look at an actor and think to herself,’ that’s Bond’

It's not humorous though: as long as the guy is attractive and has some alpha male qualities, that's pretty much all you need. Do you think Howle would be rejected on his looks alone? I certainly don't, and I very much suspect he could easily act dangerous if he cared to.
    What is humorous is that some will reject any actor solely on the basis of looks, apart of course from one particular actor. That's what we've been joking about in fact and what was predicted as soon as the latest guy was suggested ;)
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,890
    But what about his chin?

It's not humorous though: as long as the guy is attractive and has some alpha male qualities, that's pretty much all you need. Do you think Howle would be rejected on his looks alone? I certainly don't, and I very much suspect he could easily act dangerous if he cared to.
    What is humorous is that some will reject any actor solely on the basis of looks, apart of course from one particular actor. That's what we've been joking about in fact and what was predicted as soon as the latest guy was suggested ;)

Well I guess there’s a lot of humor to go around. As far as Howle, I did preface my post by saying that he has a good look . At this point my opinion is based on his acting and presentation.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    But what about his chin?

Well that's all you feel you need, but obviously that doesn't go for everyone. Some people are very visually fixated and would like a certain amount of continuity, some people don't care so much. When I was 5 or 6, my hero, the Six Million Dollar Man, grew a moustache... I was so upset I may actually have cried. Honestly, I'm not a lot better now. Visually I can be pretty pedantic about characters. I would have like the Bond producers to have given Connery the facial scar, it would have been a good visual trademark for the character, imo.

Plus, who people find attractive... it's kind of subjective. Same goes for "some alpha male qualities". You yourself were very down on Tom Hiddleston, using terms such as "soft jawed", "foppish" etc. Some people felt The Night Manager proved he could play Bond, others such as yourself felt the opposite. People are going to have different opinions, we're not all going to agree but we should all be able to give our views here without being mocked. I'm sure we've all fallen foul of not always giving other's candidates a certain amount of respect, but I feel we should at least try a bit harder. Again, just my opinion.
    One of the reasons I like Callum Turner for Bond is he has,or is at least capable of, a good deep voice.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    But what about his chin?

I don’t think anyone would disagree that looks don’t matter, we just all have different ideas of what Bond could look like while still being recognisably Bond.

Same goes for Barbara Broccoli too, her criteria for physical appearance might not be the same as all of ours (myself included, I think Jack O’Connell is a great choice and could be the sort of actor who she‘d like for it, but for all I know she might have already written him off for being too short). She cast a blonde guy, which pissed some fans off so much that they started a website over it. She’s also said that Bond can be any colour, which a lot of people here disagree with. We all see it differently and care more about certain aspects than others.
    People are going to have different opinions, we're not all going to agree but we should all be able to give our views here without being mocked. I'm sure we've all fallen foul of not always giving other's candidates a certain amount of respect, but I feel we should at least try a bit harder. Again, just my opinion.

True, but to be fair, the only person I’ve seen being mocked is the one who routinely replies to every single suggestion on this thread with some kind of snarky put down.
    Whether blonde or dark-haired, or in-between (R Moore), an actor portraying Bond - and this applies to plenty of roles - should have "it." Variables can differ, but the person should be physically attractive. The producers, I have read, didn't necessarily "get" Connery, but they noticed his energy and forcefulness in meeting, saw him outside afterward through a window and saw that he moved well, and the wife of one of them pretty much purred over Connery, giving them the benefit of another perspective. R Moore admitted himself that he looked odd when he ran, like he had a stick up his alimentary canal, and this includes in his early years as Bond. But they worked around that and he was so darn handsome. Just gotta be darned attractive.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,861
    But what about his chin?

Well that's all you feel you need, but obviously that doesn't go for everyone. Some people are very visually fixated and would like a certain amount of continuity, some people don't care so much. When I was 5 or 6, my hero, the Six Million Dollar Man, grew a moustache... I was so upset I may actually have cried. Honestly, I'm not a lot better now. Visually I can be pretty pedantic about characters. I would have like the Bond producers to have given Connery the facial scar, it would have been a good visual trademark for the character, imo.

Plus, who people find attractive... it's kind of subjective. Same goes for "some alpha male qualities". You yourself were very down on Tom Hiddleston, using terms such as "soft jawed", "foppish" etc. Some people felt The Night Manager proved he could play Bond, others such as yourself felt the opposite. People are going to have different opinions, we're not all going to agree but we should all be able to give our views here without being mocked. I'm sure we've all fallen foul of not always giving other's candidates a certain amount of respect, but I feel we should at least try a bit harder. Again, just my opinion.

You're trying to catch me out, but I don't think I'm judging Hiddleston on solely his looks which was talos' point, but his actual qualities as an actor. Being 'foppish' isn't a physical trait.
    As for not giving each others' candidates respect; I think you've entirely misunderstood what I was saying :)
    True, but to be fair, the only person I’ve seen being mocked is the one who routinely replies to every single suggestion on this thread with some kind of snarky put down.

Exactly :)
    If anyone actually enjoys those interjections, then fair enough.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,752
    But what about his chin?

I doubt the producers are conducting evaluations in quite the same way some people are here. They actually have to watch these actor's previous performances and see what traits, if any, are there that could lead to a good performance as Bond. From there they have to audition them and see how they actually play the part. Considering the candidate's physical traits is a part of the process, I don't deny this, but as others have said it's not clear what Broccoli's criteria are in this regard, or even if she'd be willing to break with it should an actor really impress her. Stuff like height, eye colour etc. are examples of this. I mean, if a potential candidate strikes her as 'Bond' but has, say, crooked underteeth, is 5'9 or whatever, then she's going to go with him based on his sex appeal, his command of the role, his screen presence, his talent etc. I'm sure there will also be plenty of candidates who look the part but will be far too wooden onscreen, lack the sex appeal etc. to make any sort of impression.

I've said this many times, but I doubt Connery or Craig would have been given an audition based solely on their photographs - their physical appearances one could say - and thank God they weren't considered on this alone. Both had the right charisma, the right screen presence and moreover the acting ability for the role. Both were handsome, but clearly not to everyone ("a balding Scottish lorry driver" "he looks like a blonde craggy faced farmer" etc).

Anyway, my point is casting this role isn't straightforward.
    I honestly don’t know about the future a third Dalton film would be nice and a trend that Amazon could jump on … though no offense to everyone involved I doubt EON would have the balls for that kind of stuff

But it would be the best option as I find myself in a weird situation

The actors that I want are fast becoming too old (Fassbender Hardy etc)

And the young actors I would be ok with do seem a bit too young to be bond (Jack Bannon Nicholas hoult etc)

Besides much like the game we are likely 3 years away from a film

It’s a strange time to be alive
  • I always thought Bond should look fairly mature too, but I’ve come to terms with the next Bond probably being a bit more baby faced than we’re used to. It’ll make me feel very old, Bond looking younger than me for the first time in my life. But realistically I think they’ll want someone young-ish, and people just age a lot better than they used to, which I suppose is a good thing really. The next actor can make up for the lack of lines on his face by being healthy enough to pull off stunts that Connery’s smokers lungs could only dream of.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit, even despite their quite lined faces, Connery and Lazenby are starting to look quite young in their first Bond films now! :)

I'm quite up for a fresh-faced Bond, I think it would be good.
  • Hi! Personally I would prefer to go again for a fairly unknown or not too famous actor that we can grow into. Someone that can invest in the character and can become it. I understand some actors don’t want to be typecast but whoever takes it on should take it seriously. Out of all the candidates so far, Cavill is probably my favourite but he’s definitely not my ideal choice. Superman becoming Bond? Nooo…
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited August 2022 Posts: 554
    I must admit, even despite their quite lined faces, Connery and Lazenby are starting to look quite young in their first Bond films now! :)

I'm quite up for a fresh-faced Bond, I think it would be good.
    Having just rewatched Goldeneye I'd add Brosnan to that list.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's about 42 in that, isn't he?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    41/42, yeah.

So Brosnan for the next Bond? I'm in.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    He's about 42 in that, isn't he?
    He is, but he really didn't seem it.
    Interview with Aiden Turner in the new Daily Mail TV magazine where he states that he's not had any interaction with the Bond producer's and he's not even that interested in the role because he values some anonymity. Also he says that he's not even much of a Bond fan. To that I say thank god. He would be a terrible choice
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 784
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    He would be a terrible choice

He wouldn’t be a terrible choice.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Could be a cackhanded attempt at reverse psychology. After all, when an actor says publicly that they are interested in playing Bond, that seems to be enough for EON to rule them out altogether. I'm looking at you, Hiddleston!
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 322
    Stuff like height, eye colour etc. are examples of this. I mean, if a potential candidate strikes her as 'Bond' but has, say, crooked underteeth, is 5'9 or whatever, then she's going to go with him based on his sex appeal, his command of the role, his screen presence, his talent etc.

so Tom Cruise would not be ruled out
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Interview with Aiden Turner in the new Daily Mail TV magazine where he states that he's not had any interaction with the Bond producer's and he's not even that interested in the role because he values some anonymity. Also he says that he's not even much of a Bond fan. To that I say thank god. He would be a terrible choice

Interesting, I’ve not heard him asked before. If he’s not interested that sounds like that’s that.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    The idea of becoming any more famous frightens him a little though, and while he's been touted as the next Bond, he says he's not sure he'd want it.

'It's weird how my name keeps coming up as I've never had a meeting with them,' he reveals.

'I'm really happy with how my career's going and something like that would change your life. It would be impossible to maintain any anonymity.

'At the moment I can still get on the Tube and go to pubs and there's never a problem. I don't think I'd want that to change. I wouldn't want it to become a nightmare for my family. It would be an interesting phone call to get, but I feel blessed with the jobs I've had. Plus, if you took on Bond you'd have to be a big fan of the movies, and I don't know if I am!'

There's Aidan Turner's quote on Bond, for anyone who can't find them.

It could go either way I guess, I remember hearing Sam Smith say he was sure Ellie Goulding was doing the song for Spectre, during the speculation for who was doing the next song. In reality by that point, he'd already read the script, written and recorded the song for the film

I'd like Aidan Turner to do it but I think he's probably on the verge of being too old now unfortunately. I wouldn't rule him out just yet though
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    One of the reasons I like Callum Turner for Bond is he has,or is at least capable of, a good deep voice.

He’s definitely worth a look.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    The idea of becoming any more famous frightens him a little though, and while he's been touted as the next Bond, he says he's not sure he'd want it.

'It's weird how my name keeps coming up as I've never had a meeting with them,' he reveals.

'I'm really happy with how my career's going and something like that would change your life. It would be impossible to maintain any anonymity.

'At the moment I can still get on the Tube and go to pubs and there's never a problem. I don't think I'd want that to change. I wouldn't want it to become a nightmare for my family. It would be an interesting phone call to get, but I feel blessed with the jobs I've had. Plus, if you took on Bond you'd have to be a big fan of the movies, and I don't know if I am!'

There's Aidan Turner's quote on Bond, for anyone who can't find them.

I can imagine Craig giving a similar response prior to accepting the role.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah that's not a total 'no' I think, although not hugely positive. His agent would probably kill him if he did come out and say no in straight terms!
    Craig may have asked those questions but I don't think he'd have actually said 'I don't think I'd want that to change' as clearly it's a question he considered long and hard before deciding that he accepted it. I think it's perfectly reasonable for an actor to think about whether they want that or not: it's a lifechanger.