Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,318
    mtm wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    My oh my, I leave the nest for a couple of days and there is all kinds of speculation... As other members have already pointed out, Turner is playing it safe, a little coy, with the right amount of boisterousness, Craig style.

Turner feels well flattered, it is obvious, but he doesn't want to come over as desperate.

Or he's genuinely not interested, as he says.

This. It's funny seeing the obsessive Turner fans twist every new happening into their favor.

Except he never said he isn't interested. Rather his thoughts on what could happen and his reservations accordingly. There isn't any twisting going on.

We've moved onto another topic, but fine. He said he can't see himself wanting to do it pretty clearly. It's not a no, but it's certainly far from a yes; it's just what the actual text says. Rather than having to invent motivations that 'he doesn't want to come over as desperate' one should also entertain the possibility that he simply means what he says. He's always seemed a pretty straight-talking person.
    "At the moment I can still get on the Tube and go to pubs and there's never a problem. I don't think I'd want that to change" Maybe than some other delicate and arcane meaning, he actually just means 'I don't think I'd want that to change'.
    @mtm stirring the pot per usual

Do we have to have this sort of stuff, mods?

You are spreading misinformation, perhaps refrain of doing so. Asking the mods to come to your aid, when you are the one bending words, not the first time either. Stop gaslighting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yes but some have blinders on and can't seem to even entertain a situation that may not result in Turner being cast or a response that may be seen as less favorable to the higher ups and decision makers. There's nothing wrong with championing a favorite as the next Bond but when it leans into obsessive or defensive territory or to the point where other actors shouldn't even be brought up or discussed, it's not the best look.

If that's what it is at the end then I will have peace with it. Then I know what the producers will miss out on. That is my feeling and opinion. I never liked Craig for example, their decision not mine. Personally speaking, I have mentioned other candidates and supported other names from other members, so that's that.

We've moved onto another topic, but fine

You don't get to decide that. It's a forum for Pete's sake. How are you this arrogant?
    Ah, we're back onto Aidan Turner. Was worried we'd strayed a bit from this thread.

Anyone have anything interesting to say about jawlines?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,947
    parkert5 wrote: »
    If that quote is correct Turner exact words were "itd be a interesting conversation to have" if anything him being that reserved about it means its more likely something is up.

Well the exact quote is (as you say, if correct, and this is the Mail we're dealing with! :D ) "It would be an interesting phone call to get, but I feel blessed with the jobs I've had" so there is a 'but' in there. So, far from enthusiastic, and his comments about fame do suggest more of that point of view and not wanting to travel the world shooting, but, as I say, it's not a definite 'no', and his agent would kill him if it were! :D
    The full interview here if you don't mind giving the Mail a click: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11116481/Aidan-Turner-hes-staying-firmly-buttoned-play-shrink-secrets-new-thriller.html
  • QsCatQsCat London
    I don’t know if this has been posted elsewhere, but it’s somewhat relevant to this thread. I can’t stop watching it, so I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I have..

And a follow-up, even more appropriate here!

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While he does rank high on my list of candidates, I don’t consider myself a Turner fanboy and completely understand some becoming tired of seeing his name. Interested in the role or not, his responses to being asked about Bond are the right way to play it. That goes for any actor. It definitely looks better than being too eager.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,947
    QsCat wrote: »
    I don’t know if this has been posted elsewhere, but it’s somewhat relevant to this thread. I can’t stop watching it, so I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I have..

Ha! That's a lot of fun.

Some pretty extraordinary tech in there too: I haven't heard synth voices of famous people like that before (made at home unofficially that is). The Craig voice is especially spot-on.
    And some sort of AI lip-syncing software in there too- it's all a bit terrifying! Think how good this stuff will be in a year or so.
  • QsCatQsCat London

[/quote]

Ha! That's a lot of fun.

Some pretty extraordinary tech in there too: I haven't heard synth voices of famous people like that before (made at home unofficially that is). The Craig voice is especially spot-on.
    And some sort of AI lip-syncing software in there too- it's all a bit terrifying! Think how good this stuff will be in a year or so.[/quote]

I had no idea there was a way to recreate voices with AI! At first I thought the uploaded was just great at doing impressions!

007HallY wrote: »
    Ah, we're back onto Aidan Turner. Was worried we'd strayed a bit from this thread.

Anyone have anything interesting to say about jawlines?

Afraid not. Apologies. But - how ABOUT those chompers on N Hoult !??! I mean, they're close to the jaw, y'know ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ha! That's a lot of fun.

And some sort of AI lip-syncing software in there too- it's all a bit terrifying! Think how good this stuff will be in a year or so.

I had no idea there was a way to recreate voices with AI! At first I thought the uploaded was just great at doing impressions!

I'm fairly sure that's what's going on. A lot of the talking is very monotonous so it seems like it's being said by a computer rather than changing a real person's voice (as seen in the recent Star Wars TV shows), but the surprising thing is that they've been able to capture the voices of all of the actors. I thought the makers of this software didn't allow users to do that without the express permission of the person whose voice it is.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,318
    talos7 wrote: »
    While he does rank high on my list of candidates, I don’t consider myself a Turner fanboy and completely understand some becoming tired of seeing his name. Interested in the role or not, his responses to being asked about Bond are the right way to play it. That goes for any actor. It definitely looks better than being too eager.

You're one of the most rational and reasonable members on here. Hurray for truth.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 687
    I should most definitely do this job. Change the world, and save Jeremy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That was funny. Well done.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Every report on Bond 26 or the next Bond seem to all share in a 2024 release date. I wonder if there's any truth in that?

I remember earlier this year when Barbara said they were at least 2 years away from filming the next Bond film, so is that just the press holding her to her comments?

Could the casting of Bond #7 be closer than we think?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Every report on Bond 26 or the next Bond seem to all share in a 2024 release date. I wonder if there's any truth in that?

I remember earlier this year when Barbara said they were at least 2 years away from filming the next Bond film, so is that just the press holding her to her comments?

Maybe something concerning Bond 26 might surface on James Bond day....just maybe. There could be a possibility.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    There is no script. The script is the key to casting (even in its earliest drafts, the script will have the tone they’re going for…)….
    Nah, we won't get a name for a while yet. I can imagine perhaps scriptwriters/directors or something being revealed later this year (maybe), but not the next Bond.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Yeah, something relating to Bond 26 is likely to be revealed or at least strongly rumoured....not necessarily announcing Bond 7.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    peter wrote: »
    There is no script. The script is the key to casting (even in its earliest drafts, the script will have the tone they’re going for…)….

Thanks for insight mate. Hopefully they get cracking on the script early this time around
    peter wrote: »

@peter What is the general process for developing a script? Will EON seek out writers? Are they receptive to submission by established individuals?

In a nutshell, where do you think they are now?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think the best we could maybe hope for on James Bond day is the announcement of a director.
    With no script or director in place for Bond 26, the casting of James Bond is still a long way off at this stage.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Bond Day is a very arbitrary thing to them; great for promotion when you have a film to sell, but I don't see them aiming to get anything done by/for it for the next film.
    Bond Day this year will be all about the anniversary and looking back anyway.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 ... I have no idea whether EoN is searching for new writers.

As far as being receptive to submissions by established writers is a little more tricky: an established writer, and his/her reps, would never submit on spec. Payment first, then the writer or writers will likely have a three step deal to develop the script.

Which means MGM/Amazon would have put the Development financing in place. Which, as of now, I don't think has been done.

Where do I think they are? Shot in the dark: still working with the partners on tone/direction/potential stories from source material that could be updated/re-reading unproduced scripts in their vault.

I don't feel they're further along than this, unfortunately...

Perhaps further development will pick up in the Fall months, is my best guess at the moment.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 13,894
    I think we are more likely to have some news on Project 007, than Bond #26, on James Bond day.
    @peter Thanks… 🤙🏼
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I think it's journalists being too literal and/or ommitting details to make something seem closer than it actually is. The quote by Barbara Broccoli was reportedly "I'd say filming is at least two years away." and she said that this June. So that's filming in '24 at the earliest. I think journalists just play a game of telephone and at the end of it, the info that sticks is "The next Bond film is two years away".

To situate this in the Bond actor discussion, the full quote is:
    “Nobody’s in the running. We’re working out where to go with him, we’re talking that through. There isn’t a script and we can’t come up with one until we decide how we’re going to approach the next film because, really, it’s a reinvention of Bond. We’re reinventing who he is and that takes time. I’d say that filming is at least two years away.”
    To me that reads as: Eon is going to figure out where to go with the film (possibly with a director, possibly on their own) -> they commission a script -> they seriously look for an actor. The last two could be simultaneously and I would guess the first part would involve some type of treatment, so a script could develop quickly out of that.

The part that I am still hung up on is that, as far as I know, there is still no shell company for the next film. That means they cannot really pay anyone for specific work on the film. I would guess they can cover treatments and workshops about the future of the series with their general budget, but you'd probably want a shell set-up to pay casting directors and stages and crews for screentests and stuff like that.

That's why I still think the big anniversary announcement is going to be MGW's retirement and then they'll create a company without him as a director and get down to work from there.
  • mtm wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Agreed. And, yes, I'm really glad Barbara Broccoli's in charge and will be for the foreseeable. I think she genuinely does want the films to be good, not just profitable, and does care about the legacy. If anyone can stop Amazon milking it for short-term returns, it's BB.

Yep, absolutely agree.

Me too. There aren’t many others in the industry making handmade blockbusters of Bond’s scale and quality anymore. Tom Cruise/Chris Mcquarrie, Chris Nolan and George Miller with Mad Max are the only ones I can think of who’ve competed with Bond in spectacle in recent years, and I reckon Nolan’s lost his touch. There are still good genre films, but Wick, Kingsman and co are all smaller/cheaper. Just compare Spectre, which gets talked about as a bottom of the barrel Bond film, to The Gray Man, Netflix’s attempt at creating their own Bond/MI. It’s so ridiculously well made in comparison. And if stuff like Jack Ryan is any indication, I think a solely Amazon produced Bond film could be just as bland. EON don’t have a perfect track record and not every risk they made has paid off, but if they ever did lose Bond then I think we’d probably end up missing them pretty quickly.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Well written @thelivingroyale …. Very measured….
    One of the reasons I like Callum Turner for Bond is he has,or is at least capable of, a good deep voice.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Agreed. And, yes, I'm really glad Barbara Broccoli's in charge and will be for the foreseeable. I think she genuinely does want the films to be good, not just profitable, and does care about the legacy. If anyone can stop Amazon milking it for short-term returns, it's BB.

Yep, absolutely agree.

Me too. There aren’t many others in the industry making handmade blockbusters of Bond’s scale and quality anymore. Tom Cruise/Chris Mcquarrie, Chris Nolan and George Miller with Mad Max are the only ones I can think of who’ve competed with Bond in spectacle in recent years, and I reckon Nolan’s lost his touch. There are still good genre films, but Wick, Kingsman and co are all smaller/cheaper. Just compare Spectre, which gets talked about as a bottom of the barrel Bond film, to The Gray Man, Netflix’s attempt at creating their own Bond/MI. It’s so ridiculously well made in comparison. And if stuff like Jack Ryan is any indication, I think a solely Amazon produced Bond film could be just as bland. EON don’t have a perfect track record and not every risk they made has paid off, but if they ever did lose Bond then I think we’d probably end up missing them pretty quickly.

Did you just compliment recent Bond films? Is that allowed?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    New James Bond Will Be A Person Of Color

Every time a James Bond actor retires from the role, it is an event. There are whole gambling sites devoted to tracking the odds of who will be the next 007 in real-time, with the odds of Henry Cavill, Rege-Jean Page, and Tom Hardy constantly shifting. However, it seems a whole lot of actors who have been considered frontrunners can be dismissed out of hand. For one thing, we recently received word that there were specific age and height requirements that knocked a whole lot of the popular choices out.

Now, we have word that producer Barbara Broccoli has decided that James Bond will finally make the leap and cast a person of color rather than the traditional portrayal of the actor as white, and also that they want a relative unknown to play the role.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/james-bond-person-of-color-exclusive.html
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    New James Bond Will Be A Person Of Color

Every time a James Bond actor retires from the role, it is an event. There are whole gambling sites devoted to tracking the odds of who will be the next 007 in real-time, with the odds of Henry Cavill, Rege-Jean Page, and Tom Hardy constantly shifting. However, it seems a whole lot of actors who have been considered frontrunners can be dismissed out of hand. For one thing, we recently received word that there were specific age and height requirements that knocked a whole lot of the popular choices out.

Now, we have word that producer Barbara Broccoli has decided that James Bond will finally make the leap and cast a person of color rather than the traditional portrayal of the actor as white, and also that they want a relative unknown to play the role.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/james-bond-person-of-color-exclusive.html

Generally speaking, I have doubts about the reliability of that website. I suspect it's like We Got This Covered.