Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »
    New James Bond Will Be A Person Of Color

Every time a James Bond actor retires from the role, it is an event. There are whole gambling sites devoted to tracking the odds of who will be the next 007 in real-time, with the odds of Henry Cavill, Rege-Jean Page, and Tom Hardy constantly shifting. However, it seems a whole lot of actors who have been considered frontrunners can be dismissed out of hand. For one thing, we recently received word that there were specific age and height requirements that knocked a whole lot of the popular choices out.

Now, we have word that producer Barbara Broccoli has decided that James Bond will finally make the leap and cast a person of color rather than the traditional portrayal of the actor as white, and also that they want a relative unknown to play the role.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/james-bond-person-of-color-exclusive.html

Generally speaking, I have doubts about the reliability of that website. I suspect it's like We Got This Covered.

I learned that it is uncertain wether they will reboot the series or not. They may cast a colored person to play Bond as a corpse. Or the missile strike somehow made him black, and gave him superpowers, perhaps?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

Every time a James Bond actor retires from the role, it is an event. There are whole gambling sites devoted to tracking the odds of who will be the next 007 in real-time, with the odds of Henry Cavill, Rege-Jean Page, and Tom Hardy constantly shifting. However, it seems a whole lot of actors who have been considered frontrunners can be dismissed out of hand. For one thing, we recently received word that there were specific age and height requirements that knocked a whole lot of the popular choices out.

Now, we have word that producer Barbara Broccoli has decided that James Bond will finally make the leap and cast a person of color rather than the traditional portrayal of the actor as white, and also that they want a relative unknown to play the role.

Generally speaking, I have doubts about the reliability of that website. I suspect it's like We Got This Covered.

I learned that it is uncertain wether they will reboot the series or not. They may cast a colored person to play Bond as a corpse. Or the missile strike somehow made him black, and gave him superpowers, perhaps?

Hysterical 😂
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 15,818
    I somehow doubt Barbara would actually announce they're specifically looking for a person of color to play Bond....unless Bond's ethnicity change has something to do with the plot. Codename theory perhaps, or gene therapy a'la DIE ANOTHER DAY?

Considering the last film was a direct follow up to a lesser popular Bond outing (SPECTRE), perhaps Purvis and Wade are taking their cue from that and devising a direct sequel to DIE ANOTHER DAY 20 years later?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Or maybe it is a reboot after all, and Bond #7 is a black op.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Or maybe it is a reboot after all, and Bond #7 is a black op.

In both senses of the word.
    I have a tendancy to believe Eon will wait to see whatever Marvel or DC does with their castings before recasting Bond. For instance if, say Idris were to be cast as Tony Starke or Bruce Wayne then Eon might go in that direction, only if those films were to be successful.
    My hunch is Bond #7 may be along the lines some a Robert Pattitson type considering he was a massive success as Batman.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ethnicity aside, when it comes to Marvel and DC, they are both talent vacuums, and I don’t mean that in a negative way; they have so many properties that they are continuously look for lead actors. Both also have long range strategies so no doubt they have a number of actors on their radar who could also be a potential Bond .
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,513
    I've been watching a series called The Game recently and I think out of the younger "lesser known" options, Tom Hughes would be a decent choice

He's got a deep voice, he's intense and more believable as tough resourceful agent that some of the suggestions on here
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I've been watching a series called The Game recently and I think out of the younger "lesser known" options, Tom Hughes would be a decent choice

He's got a deep voice, he's intense and more believable as tough resourceful agent that some of the suggestions on here

He’s absolutely worth a look.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He did a period spy show on BBC 2 a few years back. Was it called The Game?
    Almost an audition…

But I definitely read totallygeekynews.net that they had already cast Tom Hardy.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I nominated Tom Hughes a while ago as a potential James Bond.
    Glad to see more people are getting on board.
    Both he and Nicholas Hoult have a lot of potential. Tom Hughes is a very underrated actor.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »

He’s absolutely worth a look.

He's got the look, although he seems a bit soft. But not sure at all about his voice.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Almost an audition…

Yeah I wasn't really sold at the time.
    Maturing and a better haircut will up his stock.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,897
    Tom Hughes has been on my list of potential Bond choices for a while now. The Game really stands out because Hughes plays a relatively Bondian character, or at least in a Fleming-esque sense. He plays a man who essentially does the 'dirty work' of MI5, and certainly brought those enigmatic, cynical, confident and even seductive qualities to the role. There were moments in that show where I was reminded of Dalton's Bond, or indeed could imagine him playing a version of Fleming's Bond in a similar way.

Now, it's worth saying that I don't think Hughes would simply reprise his performance in The Game if he ever auditioned for Bond. Neither do I think he'd play the part in a way similar to Craig. This might actually be a good thing. I think the next Bond will really have to set themselves apart from Craig and make the part their own. As much as I'm a fan of the likes of Jack O'Connell, Sope Diriscu or Jack Bannon for this role, I can't help but feel that we may simply get a more youthful reprise of Craig's Bond in CR or even SP with them. I dunno, something about Hughes - the way he talks about his roles in interviews, from what I've seen of him as an actor - gives me the impression he could do something interesting with the part given the right script.

He's a bit of a pretty boy, and his hair is funny. We don't know how he'd deal with things like fight scenes and the more physical side of the character. He'll need to do an accent for the role. That's fine, one could have said the same things about Robert Pattinson and look at what he did with The Batman. It's worth noting that those clips of The Game were also from when he wasn't even 30. I noticed in Shepard, a film starring him which came out recently, he was looking a bit more on the earthy side with a haircut, the right environment and some facial hair (not to mention his performance).

2019_shepherd_stills_b0001764.jpg

Anyway, as usual I have no idea how he'd be in practice. Still, worth considering I'd say.
    Absolutely. As I said above, maturity and a better haircut would benefit him; that appears to be true
    Indeed. At risk of internet stalking an actor whom I admire, simply for the purposes of judging his appearance, there are other pictures of him which might support that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB7B3SqVIpeX8lvSm6gostdDO1kdh8p0e_VQ&usqp=CAU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8CKBFyf04A1HbSBCEhXNxp0ZCFurGqKL6J0_vVUf610IBY-XWy4hFPyeUlkVft4DDG8s&usqp=CAU

5cd146c92b89e.jpeg

Anyway, like I said, I think the series will need a different kind of Bond than Craig going forward, all while maintaining the quality of acting we saw throughout his era. Hughes is a talented character actor with a unique screen presence, not dissimilar to where Craig was career-wise at the same age, but is certainly different.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Tom Hughes comes over as yet another brooding type - I'd argue not so different to Craig - but I do love The Game and he is certainly a better choice than some of the names I've seen posted recently on here. That said he strikes me as more of a TV actor and I find the voice way too monotone (he never convincingly shakes the Liverpudlian accent either). We could do worse, we could do better...
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    As much as I'm a fan of the likes of Jack O'Connell, Sope Diriscu or Jack Bannon for this role, I can't help but feel that we may simply get a more youthful reprise of Craig's Bond in CR or even SP with them.

Yeah I’m the same. I love the idea of O’Connell doing it in particular, but no matter what he decided to do with it to set himself apart, I’d imagine he would definitely be a harder edged Craig type Bond. Part of me thinks that might be the way to go, Craig was really popular so why not stick with what works, and O’Connell is good enough to find ways to differentiate himself, even if he’s a similar sort of Bond. But then another part of me thinks that general direction is feeling quite played out now, might be time to go a bit lighter again. I don’t envy the producers.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,897
    I'm not sure if the distinction between being a 'tv' actor or a film one is as big as it used to be, at least not with the type of roles/work Hughes does. Brosnan and Moore both came from TV and I'd argue brought much of their experience and acting instincts to their portrayals of Bond. Generally when people say 'x is more a TV actor' I get the sense it's simply a way of saying the actor either isn't very good or that one can't imagine them in a specific leading role (usually because they haven't had the opportunity to showcase their suitability for it fully). Hughes is definitely more of a character actor, usually starring in more low key dramas. The real question is whether him or a similar actor can carry a Bond film with their performance. We simply don't know one way or the other at the moment.
    007HallY wrote: »
    As much as I'm a fan of the likes of Jack O'Connell, Sope Diriscu or Jack Bannon for this role, I can't help but feel that we may simply get a more youthful reprise of Craig's Bond in CR or even SP with them.

Yeah I’m the same. I love the idea of O’Connell doing it in particular, but no matter what he decided to do with it to set himself apart, I’d imagine he would definitely be a harder edged Craig type Bond. Part of me thinks that might be the way to go, Craig was really popular so why not stick with what works, and O’Connell is good enough to find ways to differentiate himself, even if he’s a similar sort of Bond. But then another part of me thinks that general direction is feeling quite played out now, might be time to go a bit lighter again. I don’t envy the producers.

I think the script will have an impact. There might be things that they'll have to consciously downplay or subvert with Bond that were more prominent during Craig's portrayals. But it depends...

For instance, if they wanted the next Bond to retain DC Bond's roguishness, the overt physicality etc. then it'd make sense prioritising someone like O'Connell. I can definitely see him bulking up for the role and coming out of the water like Craig's Bond does in CR. I can even see him doing a lot of the fight scenes Craig did in that film, being playfully arrogant towards Vesper etc.

That might not be right for someone like Hughes. Again, going from The Game, he's great at portraying a youthful, but rather cynical character, one who knowingly works in a questionable system and is prone to getting involved with things like danger and women. I get the sense he'd be better at playing Bond as that 'mysterious stranger' from the novels and early films, not brooding as such, but certainly a quieter, more intense and enigmatic version of the character. This might be better if the next film is more willing to view Bond as a flawed protagonist and roll with it. Again, more akin to something like Robert Pattinson's performance in The Batman. So yeah, I do think going with someone like Hughes is an option.
    Taron Egerton has been mentioned from time to time but I didn’t see real potential until recently. As with Nicholas Hoult, he’s growing as an an actor as well as into his looks. I’ve said that EON is going to be competing with Marvel and DC for talent; Egerton has been rumored to be up for the role of Wolverine.

xp6iFwB.jpg
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,513
    I quite like Egerton but maybe he's still too connected to Kingsman? Although it would be nice to have another Bond from the Wirral
    I like Taron Egerton, but I think his involvement in the Kingsman films might make him an unlikely choice as far as EON are concerned. He's also a little bit too housing estate for Bond if you'll forgive me. I'm sure he wouldn't be a bad choice. But I feel we can do better.
    At that point I’m not a strong advocate of Egerton but he has potential. As far as his association with Kingsman, Harrison Ford has shown that an actor can portray several iconic characters in separate franchises.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited September 2022 Posts: 726
    Fabian Frankel (son of the late Mark Frankel) is playing Ser Criston Cole in House of the Dragon, and will almost certainly be picked up by the press as a potential Bond candidate, imo.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8844328/?ref_=nm_mv_close

Not done a great deal yet, though.
    At that point I’m not a strong advocate of Egerton but he has potential. As far as his association with Kingsman, Harrison Ford has shown that an actor can portray several iconic characters in separate franchises.

Granted, however he didn't play a spy in multiple franchises. Also, to be fair, Taron Egerton isn't Harrison Ford. I think we can agree on that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,956

True, but then Ford did turn down playing Alan Grant in Jurassic Park because it was too close to Indy.
    Benny wrote: »
    I like Taron Egerton, but I think his involvement in the Kingsman films might make him an unlikely choice as far as EON are concerned. He's also a little bit too housing estate for Bond if you'll forgive me.

I don't think so, I wonder if you're just thinking of his Kingsman role?
    mtm wrote: »

True, but then Ford did turn down playing Alan Grant in Jurassic Park because it was too close to Indy.
    Benny wrote: »
    I like Taron Egerton, but I think his involvement in the Kingsman films might make him an unlikely choice as far as EON are concerned. He's also a little bit too housing estate for Bond if you'll forgive me.

I don't think so, I wonder if you're just thinking of his Kingsman role?

He doesn't have some of the qualities an actor needs to play Bond. Asking a fan community to cast a Bond actor is never going to work. We'll always have massively differing opinions. As I said, I think he's a great actor. But I don't think he has the right characteristics to play James Bond. And I don't see EON going with an actor, who is well know for another spy franchise. But that's just me.