Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

True, but I'm not sure how much that was to do with 80s nostalgia than it was 'for the fans' in the sense they'd know which previous film that Aston Martin came from.

Again, it's difficult using/referencing the 80s Bond movies to get younger viewers on board because Bond was not a youthful product in the 80s anyway. I like a lot of the Bond films from that time, but they didn't exactly capture the zeitgeist of the decade in the same way Kate Bush's music did, or the original Top Gun. Many of Moore's later Bond films look and feel a bit dated to casual movie goers. Same with LTK quite frankly.

I'm sure something more lighthearted, fantastical and escapist in on the table for Bond 26, but I hope they don't try and evoke the campiness, aesthetics or plot elements from the later Moore era.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,351
    Oh and just to throw some oil on the "He has to be under 40 and over 5'10""-thing: I just found an answer to a Fredoom of Information request the MoD gave about the ages of Royal Navy officers in 2019 (i know how much you love this discussion about ranks, @mtm ;)) ). According to the answer, the average age of promotion to the rank Commander is 42 years and a Commander has on average spent 8 years and 8 months as a Lt. Commander before being promoted.

Our man is of course everything but average, so he would have gotten it earlier and Fleming's Bond got a majority of his promotions while already working in Navy Intelligence (i.e. he never actually commanded a whole lot). So as a kind of hybrid of the ideas of "Bond in the Navy" we've had floating about here and the backstory given to Bond in Carte Blanche, he's loaned out to MI6 from Defence Intelligence for some reason or other and at the end of the film he gets a final promotion to Commander, but also leaves the Navy to join MI6 and become 007, full time so that he is from then on Commander James Bond, 007.

It's probably a bit too much origin and rehashing CR and too technical for anyone but me to care, but I still kind of like it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Actually I do think that's quite interesting- thanks! :)
    So it does certainly seem that an early 30s Bond who's a commander would be a surprisingly high rank, but as you say, special intelligence-related reasons could probably be given somehow.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Here's the trailer for The Invitation. And Thomas Doherty looks, well, like young James Bond... He first appears at 43 seconds into the trailer.

I know he's been mentioned before. He definitely has that Connery look, I'd have to see him in more but he's a good suggestion

Ooooo ! vampire with a foot fetish ? About *^& time ! At any rate, to get back on point: this actor might be cursed off of portraying Bond BECAUSE he looks too much like Connery ! Looks like his spooky character would have had a better time at the ghoulish wedding had he tried the Monster Mash, or even the Transylvania Twist, for a wedding dance...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As has been said, we are “ reinventing Bond” ; who knows, we may get a younger Bond. who is recruited from the Mi-6 secretarial pool. 😉
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I do think the commander aspect of the character has diminished over time, espicially in the Craig era. I think they only mentioned him as commander Bond was to give him a rank over Nomi and to give him more authority to order M to launch the missile strike.
    Other than that him being a commander of the Navy never came into it really

Perhaps in the next era of the character he won't be a Commander? If they're aiming young perhaps it won't be as believable as @ImpertinentGoon research suggests
    The book Bond, like many real world military folks, achieved elevation(s) in rank more quickly than otherwise, because it happened during WWII.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Here's the trailer for The Invitation. And Thomas Doherty looks, well, like young James Bond... He first appears at 43 seconds into the trailer.

I think Thomas Doherty would be good as James Bond. I've always thought so.

I had never heard of him before. But...yeah. I can see it. (At first, watching the trailer, I thought it was the other actor...and I was thinking this had to be a joke.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TripAces wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I think Thomas Doherty would be good as James Bond. I've always thought so.

I had never heard of him before. But...yeah. I can see it. (At first, watching the trailer, I thought it was the other actor...and I was thinking this had to be a joke.)

Same here , cause you never know here what people think Bond is.
  • The trouble with casting young is that it's not easy to find many candidates who are good actors with solid film experience. One good young actor who I'm surprised doesn't warrant more of a mention around here is Billy Howle, 32 years old and 6ft. He's impressed me with his range although I've yet to see him tackle anything physical. That's about to change as he's playing a boxer in his next film. Maybe that will tell us more about his suitability.

img.jpg

Here he is being interrogated by Tanner Rory Kinnear.

• QsCatQsCat London
    The trouble with casting young is that it's not easy to find many candidates who are good actors with solid film experience. One good young actor who I'm surprised doesn't warrant more of a mention around here is Billy Howle, 32 years old and 6ft. He's impressed me with his range although I've yet to see him tackle anything physical. That's about to change as he's playing a boxer in his next film. Maybe that will tell us more about his suitability.

img.jpg

Hmm I think the silence over the last few days says it all..
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I was only silent, because I wish this was the Rory Kinnear we saw in the Bond series.
    I feel short changed.

What is the name of the film this is from?
    I knew those Bond auditions were intense but please!
  • Benny wrote: »
    I was only silent, because I wish this was the Rory Kinnear we saw in the Bond series.
    I feel short changed.

I only watched a little of it, but you have a good point. In the Bond films, Kinnear portrayed Tanner as surprisingly clueless. Some of that was down to the scripts, but it was part of his performance as well.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 108
    @Benny It's a short film called The Interview which I've posted in its entirety.

No love for Billy Howle then. Oh well.

While I believe the stronger candidates are over 32, I still think Howle has a shot if Eon go young. That's because firstly he's a very good actor, a chameleon who's made some very clever choices in quality productions. He's in a different league to some of the other young actors mentioned in this thread like say, the Gossip Girl guy.

Secondly he's one of the few young actors who can look vaguely Bondian. It was his role in episode 1 of the BBC's MotherFatherSon that made me think that. (He's not very Bond-like in subsequent episodes due to reasons I won't spoil). Howle was just 29 at the time and holds his own alongside the likes of Richard Gere and Helen McCrory in a very challenging role. The episode is up on DailyMotion for anyone who can be bothered.

z25971821Q,Billy-Howle-jako-Caden-w-serialu--MotherFatherSon-.jpg

1535390374-mfs2.jpg?crop=0.670xw:1.00xh;0.227xw,0&resize=980:*
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I think he has a good look about him but I suspect we'll be told he lacks a chin, has funny hair, doesn't look like a man and has a feminine voice soon enough.

I feel like I've just drawn a summoning circle.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Oh yes, I remember him in MotherFatherSon; I do remember at the time thinking that he's surely going places. Not a bad shout at all.

But yes @00Heaven , we'll be told how weak his chin is soon enough and this thread will be off the rails yet again :)) I guess we just have to put up with it for some reason.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    He's one of the best suggestions we've had in a while, espicially in that last picture. His expression reminds me of Craig in QOS when he goes back to the interrogation room after Mr White escapes.
    Good shout mate
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    He's one of the best suggestions we've had in a while, espicially in that last picture. His expression reminds me of Craig in QOS when he goes back to the interrogation room after Mr White escapes.
    Good shout mate

You know, I was trying to place that look he has on his face... Maybe you are right. But good shouts all around to be honest.
    Benny wrote: »
    I feel short changed.

Yes, it would have been nice if Kinnear had played his Tanner a bit more like that and a bit less like his character from the first episode of Black Mirror.

Anyway, I only have The Interview to go from for Howle, but I can see him being a candidate to be invited for an audition, certainly.
    The trouble with casting young is that it's not easy to find many candidates who are good actors with solid film experience. One good young actor who I'm surprised doesn't warrant more of a mention around here is Billy Howle, 32 years old and 6ft. He's impressed me with his range although I've yet to see him tackle anything physical. That's about to change as he's playing a boxer in his next film. Maybe that will tell us more about his suitability.

img.jpg

He's got the look. Seems capable enough. Not sure about his voice.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    I think he has a good look about him but I suspect we'll be told he lacks a chin, has funny hair, doesn't look like a man and has a feminine voice soon enough.

I feel like I've just drawn a summoning circle.

Don't forget the teeth. In all the pictures posted here, he has his mouth closed. What is he hiding??!??!
  • QsCatQsCat London
    He looks promising from the picture, but he doesn't seem suitable from the film, regardless of how good he might be in it.
    He has bad teeth too..
    We have a Bingo!
    He's also got some stubble in all these pictures too. Compensating for a lack of chin I suspect. I also see the beginning of a monobrow forming...

I take back all I said before. This man is clearly unsuitable and must not even be considered.
  • I must admit to being a little disappointed when nobody replied at first to my Howle post, so thank you to everyone who's bothered.

I wish I could find a decent clip of Howle acting in MotherFatherSon but this brief silent clip will have to do, especially as the eyebrow raise made me laugh as it was so Roger.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    He has a good face, but there is nothing Bondian about him, nor the slightest bit of dangerousness.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    But what about his chin?
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,752
    mtm wrote: »
    But what about his chin?

I'm sure nowadays an appropriate chin can be added onto the actor's face in post-production using visual effects. No need to worry. Either that or the prop department can construct a prosthetic one in a similar vein to Connery's hairpiece.

Anyway, at risk of derailing the thread, I'll reiterate there's something to Howle. He does strike me looking at more clips as more suited to a breezier, more lighthearted portrayal of Bond rather than necessarily one with that bit of darkness, but I'm not sure if I have enough to go on. Again, worth an audition.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,318
    mtm wrote: »
    But what about his chin?

It resembles my buttocks. Hair included. Good enough?