Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Turner scoring another part at Amazon Prime. They sure like him over there *wink* Could be interesting this one

https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/aidan-turner-tennis-fifteen-love-amazon-1235333175/

New trailer for The Suspect:

https://entertainment-focus.com/2022/08/08/the-suspect-watch-the-gripping-trailer-for-aidan-turners-new-itv-series/

Being the likeable guy he is:

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Might he have another high profile role lined up?

https://screenrant.com/henry-cavill-superman-warnerbros-contact-report/

“What have you heard about Henry lately, I've heard a story that they've asked him, and he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't want to come back.”
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It seems just a rumor currently but there could be plenty of other reasons he doesn't want to return (one of them being why put time and effort into a film that could get canned eventually?) I'd certainly love for his reasoning to be because he'll be the next James Bond instead, but I'm never that lucky.
    I do wonder if there will be some conflict behind the scenes between Amazon and MGW/BB regarding the next actor. I can certainly imagine Cavill and Turner being the most obvious 'moneymaking' (ie. generic) candidates while the producers might have other actors in mind who are not as obvious. In that scenario I can imagine (or at least hope) that the more left of field candidate will likely shine through during the audition process but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Latest rumour is they are looking for someone "under 40" and may begin shooting end of next year. This would rule out a lot of popular candidates. That said this is probably purely tabloid assumptions rather than based on actual facts. But it sounds plausible enough. I hope they go with an unknown if this is the case - there is no real heir-apparent in this age-range.
    https://uk.style.yahoo.com/james-bond-aged-under-40-090000168.html
    With Cavill's acting ability we'd know for sure Bond remains dead
    Satorious wrote: »
    Latest rumour is they are looking for someone "under 40" and may begin shooting end of next year. This would rule out a lot of popular candidates. That said this is probably purely tabloid assumptions rather than based on actual facts. But it sounds plausible enough. I hope they go with an unknown if this is the case - there is no real heir-apparent in this age-range.

This goes totally against what Babs has recently stated. One can hope, but obviously it has to be Turner :D
    Satorious wrote: »

My boy Cavill is 39 so there's hope yet. Under 40, though, you'd imagine they're looking for someone even younger, in case we get another era of delays, delays, delays.
    Creatively, having a Bond in his prime seems logical. As I've said in the past I don't think a Bond in his 20s especially works. Perhaps at a push an older looking actor in their late 20s could get the role, but I suspect the next Bond will be aged 30-34.

Again, I doubt it'll be Turner or Cavill, but I do suspect their names will be pushed by bigwigs at some point in this process, even as a back up.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

“What have you heard about Henry lately, I've heard a story that they've asked him, and he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't want to come back.”

Take with a grain of salt, but I heard that Marvel was supposedly looking to poach Cavill with offering him a huge role in one of their franchises.

Unfortunately, I don't know which character. I'm not really invested in Cavill's career and I really don't know too much about comics, so it was in one ear and out the other.

And he supposedly is attached to the Highlander re-boot.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,897
    Thing is, at this point when I see Cavill, I think 'yeah, but he looks like Superman' - and I've not even seen any of his Superman films! Although, say Cavill got Bond and did two or three films, Jamie Dornan would be a shoo-in to take over at that point and play the same iteration of the character - he looks way more like Cavill than Adrian Paul resembled Connery or Turner resembles Dalton!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 13,882
    Under 40? that rules out 2 of my 3 faves (Cavill and Turner), leaving just Hoult.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2022 Posts: 5,834
    Just got out of Bullet Train, a stupidly fun movie, with Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Brian Tyree Henry certainly the standouts. I definitely think Taylor-Johnson should be screen-tested, and especially after seeing Bullet Train, he could really go either way with his performance either comedic or serious cause from his filmography, he's very talented at both.

f899d543-0ad7-479f-9d23-acae5e47e81b-Bullet_twins.jpg
    Under 40? that rules out 2 of my 3 faves (Cavill and Turner), leaving just Hoult.

They're both in the mix. Factually. Also, it isn't a credible rumour.
    @Denbigh, I thought Taylor-Johnson was excellent in it too. There are way worse choices for Bond, that's for sure. I'd be intrigued by his casting.
    peter wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Take with a grain of salt, but I heard that Marvel was supposedly looking to poach Cavill with offering him a huge role in one of their franchises.

Unfortunately, I don't know which character. I'm not really invested in Cavill's career and I really don't know too much about comics, so it was in one ear and out the other.

And he supposedly is attached to the Highlander re-boot.

I was going to suggest that there may be another actor "attached to the Highlander re-boot"...Silly me...How could I forget ? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE !!!
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Just got out of Bullet Train, a stupidly fun movie, with Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Brian Tyree Henry certainly the standouts. I definitely think Taylor-Johnson should be screen-tested, and especially after seeing Bullet Train, he could really go either way with his performance either comedic or serious cause from his filmography, he's very talented at both.

Uh, bit of an off topic question; would that film be alright to go see with my girlfriend? I was thinking it seemed half decent from a trailer.

Uh, bit of an off topic question; would that film be alright to go see with my girlfriend? I was thinking it seemed half decent from a trailer.

I went and saw it with my girlfriend and she loved it more than I did. I thought it was far better as a comedy than an action film.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I went and saw it with my girlfriend and she loved it more than I did. I thought it was far better as a comedy than an action film.
    Huh, duly noted.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    We must have discussed Taylor-Johnson before and come up with some demerits, right? From the top line characteristics, he looks like a very serious contender, but I can't recall him being discussed in depth.
    English, 32 years old, 5'10", dark hair, good looking, solid acting and big film resume, I haven't checked his teeth, but the chin looks ok without a beard (sometimes I can't believe the things I'm typing here...). I thought he was out of the Marvel machine with his Avenger's character having died, but it seems like he is playing the lead in an upcoming Kraven the Hunter film. So that could turn out to be a problem. On the other hand, that's in the Sony Spider-Man Universe, so how likely is it that that works out?
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 12,837

I don’t think Cavill ever had a chance anyway but imo the smart money is definitely on the next Bond being under 40. There’s a certain level of physicality expected from action hero roles now, that Craig seemed to struggle with by the end. He said it took him three months to get in shape for CR, and nine months to get in shape for NTTD. He got injured a couple of times, and even scenes like the Primo fight in Matera were using stunt doubles, with some ridiculously well done CGI face overlays.

They need someone who can cope with the physical side and the gruelling blockbuster shooting schedule, for as many films as possible. They take a while to make the films now too, and I think we can assume from Barbara’s “we’re reinventing him” comment that they want it to feel very new, so all things considered I reckon they’ll want someone a bit fresher faced, particularly after a few films of Bond as a grizzled vet.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited August 2022 Posts: 686
    We must have discussed Taylor-Johnson before and come up with some demerits, right? From the top line characteristics, he looks like a very serious contender, but I can't recall him being discussed in depth.
    English, 32 years old, 5'10", dark hair, good looking, solid acting and big film resume, I haven't checked his teeth, but the chin looks ok without a beard (sometimes I can't believe the things I'm typing here...). I thought he was out of the Marvel machine with his Avenger's character having died, but it seems like he is playing the lead in an upcoming Kraven the Hunter film. So that could turn out to be a problem. On the other hand, that's in the Sony Spider-Man Universe, so how likely is it that that works out?

The main sticking point was his voice in interviews - it tends (or at least tended to be in the past) rather high and wimpy, surprisingly so, and it was argued that Eon wouldn't go for an actor who gave that impression when doing the publicity rounds (he really was bad when I first saw him interviewed many years ago). That and the fact that he has not shown star charisma was brought against him.

However, I've warmed to him in the last year or two. I think he'd be at least solid, and I think in the last interview I saw him do he had lowered his voice (as he does for his film roles) so it wasn't so jarring.
  • I've just reached level 40 but I'm feeling sharp as ever.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

The main sticking point was his voice in interviews - it tends (or at least tended to be in the past) rather high and wimpy, surprisingly so, and it was argued that Eon wouldn't go for an actor who gave that impression when doing the publicity rounds (he really was bad when I first saw him interviewed many years ago). That and the fact that he has not shown star charisma was brought against him.

However, I've warmed to him in the last year or two. I think he'd be at least solid, and I think in the last interview I saw him do he had lowered his voice (as he does for his film roles) so it wasn't so jarring.

He has no charisma and a thin , weak voice; I’ve never seen him as a potential Bond.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I'm still living in a world where I hoped Savages would be an actually good film. So I have a bit of a soft spot for him...
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I've just reached level 40 but I'm feeling sharp as ever.

Fellas. We have our new Bond. :D
  • 00Heaven wrote: »

Old bond 😂
    00Heaven wrote: »

Old bond 😂

Everything old is new again.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

My mistake, you are right. But at 39... they're very close.

My mistake, you are right. But at 39... they're very close.

Quite right @MajorDSmythe However, these men are built differently. They don't age as fast as other men of the same age. Both still have quite boyish looks and are in the prime of their lives, for quite a few years to come.

Exciting times ahead gents!
    40 is the new 25.
    If Tom Cruise can play Ethan Hunt into his 60's, and nobody whines about it, no doubt Cavill could play Bond at 40. Same for Aidan Turner.