Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    There must be a better way of spending $200 plus, eh @Creasy47 ?… I hope Ana and her reps get her out of any future films. They made a dynamic actor into a frumpy, bored-looking, monotone in delivery, character…

It's the same issue I had with SP: where's the money? I can occasionally see it on the screen, in flashes, but it's marred by a tacky over-usage of drone shots and poor CGI that ruins any action sequences or setpieces - the fireworks and bad lighting in the opening, the odd looking explosions, the smoky flare and overall airplane sequence, and more.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I always felt Page had a smarm about him and that was about it. He's pretty cute but based on Bridgerton I just didn't see it.
    Yeah I didn't see any major charisma from him in the film as has been alluded to by the Russos and others. I know everyone raves about that Netflix series he's in so maybe he showcases it better in that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Page had no charisma in The Gray Man. He was stilted and the execution of his performance was as deep as a puddle. Shockingly superficial.
    Page looks good in the new Dungeons & Dragons trailer, especially the hair twists.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't see any major charisma from him in the film as has been alluded to by the Russos and others. I know everyone raves about that Netflix series he's in so maybe he showcases it better in that.

It was a real Henry Czerny-in-the-90s type performance. Without any of the gravitas required to make such a part work, of course.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Can we stop talking about Page. He was never interesting and never will be, for Bond. Not a good actor by any means, perhaps musicals or light entertainment such as Bridgerton.
    Can we stop talking about Page. He was never interesting and never will be, for Bond. Not a good actor by any means, perhaps musicals or light entertainment such as Bridgerton.

It's a thread involving possible Bond actors and he's in the news lately, propped up by the Russo brothers as their pick for the next Bond. I'm not in favor of him being cast whatsoever but it beats discussing Aidan Turner for another 150 pages.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2022 Posts: 8,034

What would you like to talk about? He says, knowing.

It's a thread involving possible Bond actors and he's in the news lately, propped up by the Russo brothers as their pick for the next Bond. I'm not in favor of him being cast whatsoever but it beats discussing Aidan Turner for another 150 pages.

Aidan Turner ? Saayyyyy....what about him, eh ? Just kidding JUST KIDDING ! BTW the photos of him in full beard for new show or movie just do NOT look like him
    There must be a better way of spending $200 plus, eh @Creasy47 ?… I hope Ana and her reps get her out of any future films. They made a dynamic actor into a frumpy, bored-looking, monotone in delivery, character…

It's the same issue I had with SP: where's the money? I can occasionally see it on the screen, in flashes, but it's marred by a tacky over-usage of drone shots and poor CGI that ruins any action sequences or setpieces - the fireworks and bad lighting in the opening, the odd looking explosions, the smoky flare and overall airplane sequence, and more.

Do you dislike the film ? If so, perhaps your dislike carries you a long way, so to speak. The action sequence with the plane sure looked good (and expensive) to many folks. And the explosion in the desert actually set a record. Not the first time. A boat jump in LALD set a record, too.
    Since62 wrote: »

Do you dislike the film ? If so, perhaps your dislike carries you a long way, so to speak. The action sequence with the plane sure looked good (and expensive) to many folks. And the explosion in the desert actually set a record. Not the first time. A boat jump in LALD set a record, too.

Oh no, I was discussing The Gray Man there, but yes, I'd say SP is the only installment of the series, official or not, that I wholeheartedly loathe.

That explosion in SP just looks like a big waste of money onscreen to me in order to get a record. It's even more bad that they do that practically, only to then give us some bad CGI explosions in the "actual" finale a bit later. It's like DAD opening with a really sweet and practical surfing sequence, only to devolve into the CGI madness in Iceland later on.

The plane sequence is at least fairly inventive on the surface but not at all a sequence or setpiece I particularly care for or get much excitement out of.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I so wish they'd gone with the intended ski and snowmobile chase in SP instead of replacing it with the wingless plane malarkey.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I so wish they'd gone with the intended ski and snowmobile chase in SP instead of replacing it with the wingless plane malarkey.

Agreed. Nice and simple. It's a shame we didn't get anything like that in the Craig era or much of a focus on snow, skiing, etc. in general.

Agreed. Nice and simple. It's a shame we didn't get anything like that in the Craig era or much of a focus on snow, skiing, etc. in general.

After the vague and strange one in TWINE I appreciated the break, and that when they returned to snowy environs it was handled differently.
    For clarity's sake - I liked the quickly-opening "snowball", but prior to that part, the villain's minions using those snowmobiles with para-glider setups moved oddly and slowly in the air. It ruined the pace. I appreciate they tried for something new, since "normal" snowmobiles already had been thoroughly used in R Moore films.
    Apparently, Mendes personally wanted a snow chase in SP and it was written in various versions of Lodge's script, but Dan shot it down with something like 'Well, I don't ski' and that was that!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think the biggest problem for film makers with ski chases and sequences is stunt doubles. OHMSS managed this brilliantly. Even FYEO,but mostly we have to rely on long shots and quick edits to hide the stunt team.
    A snow action scene is always a welcome addition. But maybe not along the lines of TWINE perhaps .
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I quite like the sequence in SP but I don't think it was shot as thrillingly as it should have been.
    I think in the hands of a better action director that would have been the highlight of the film
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I quite like the sequence in SP but I don't think it was shot as thrillingly as it should have been.
    I think in the hands of a better action director that would have been the highlight of the film

Yeah, the sequence wasn't bad, but it could have been better. Yeah, an action director would have shot it in a more thrilling way. Although, I think Mendes' heart wasn't really in SP, because this is the same director that directed SF.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,928
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think Mendes' heart wasn't really in SP
    Yeah, I think that's the crux of it with SP. Parts of it have a sense of getting it over the line, rather than romping home to victory. Given the struggles revealed in the leaked emails, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the key players were exhausted by the whole thing well before SP wrapped.
    Yeah, I think that's the crux of it with SP. Parts of it have a sense of getting it over the line, rather than romping home to victory. Given the struggles revealed in the leaked emails, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the key players were exhausted by the whole thing well before SP wrapped.

Yes. There's a possibility that that was the case. Whenever I watch 1917, I always think that's the quality of filmmaking that would have accompanied SP, if they took their time to work on it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Yes. There's a possibility that that was the case. Whenever I watch 1917, I always think that's the quality of filmmaking that would have accompanied SP, if they took their time to work on it.

They had the time. They squandered it.

I rewatched this one a few days ago and it's like a completely different director in charge. His non-Bond films always seem to excite or impress me, this one included.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 784
    Just skimmed through Rogue Agent on Netflix. I think James Norton lacks intensity and gravitas even if he gave a grounded and somewhat charismatic performance.

It might be the voice. Looks the part though.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Whoever they cast please put him in a 3 week bootcamp with this guy and then do the card game scene from Moonraker:
    Mallory wrote: »

Yeah. Somewhat. But a little bit of extra time would have helped the film greatly though.

I rewatched this one a few days ago and it's like a completely different director in charge. His non-Bond films always seem to excite or impress me, this one included.

Yeah. Mendes really knows how to create atmosphere in his films. It worked well for him in SF.

• edited August 2022 Posts: 784
    Mallory wrote: »

Yeah. Somewhat. But a little bit of extra time would have helped the film greatly though.

Yeah. Mendes really knows how to create atmosphere in his films. It worked well for him in SF.

It worked in Spectre too. My only real qualms with his films are the plot and dialogue.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Apropos of nothing in particular: The character of Bond in film has a bunch of traits. Each actor is better at playing some of them, less at playing others. For example, Craig's Bond is very alpha-male, whereas I find that Dalton, while definitely still fitting into that mold, is less alpha-male. The result is that despite vulnerable moments and his ultimate outcome, I associate Craig's Bond more with strength, confidence, arrogance, whereas Dalton makes me worry and feel more for him, as a tough, resourceful man who nevertheless might not live to see the next day. I find something to enjoy in both takes on the role. While I definitely gravitate more toward Dalton, who was awesome in the role, one actor's take has what the other comparatively lacks. What's the point? I don't know, perhaps that I don't feel there is a definitive portrayal of Bond. That doesn't mean any hypothetical portrayal would be automatically good either, but I enjoy the room for variation.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    This may be a bit overwrought, but to me the entire Bond series is by now a bit like different stagings of the same play. Eventhough they are steadfast in saying they never do remakes, we always have more or less the same structure; very similar character archetypes; there are even bits of dialogue that repeat. And the freedom that weirdly gives you - like stage productions - is that you can play with the characterisations and emphasizing different elements of the plot and the characters to make it fit to the times. don't go to see Romeo & Juliet because I want to be suprised by the plot. I see it to see what the performances are like, to see what the director wanted to focus on by cutting or adding, to see new takes on costumes, stage settings, and so on and how that influences the way the same material comes across.
    That's why "Is Bond still relevant?" is always the wrong question. The baseline assumption is that the character of James Bond exists and then it is up to the creatives to find out what the character is in this specific moment and what they want to express through the basic Bond formula at this point.
    That is one of the main reasons, why I want a young actor next. Not just to have them around for 15 years, but also because that would be a massive shift from Craig's Old Man Bond, we've now seen for at least 10 years. Time for Bond as a young(er) man off this time.
    I have posted something similar in the past but now the DC era is officially over here is my view on the next Bond...

These are the criteria that I look for in the MAN who could be a Bond actor in order of importance (Bond is not a woman obviously!!!):

1. Charisma / "it" factor / presence (call it what you will)
    2. Physically attractive to the opposite sex (could be included in 1)
    3. Believable that they cold do the physical side of the job (height / stature etc)
    4. acting ability
    5. Nationality

I put nationality down rather than race specifically. The role should go to whoever scores best in those areas.

If in two years you offered me a choice between a group of millennial effete types who look like they would curl up into a ball and cry if confronted with something in Bonds line of work that all happened to be white, or a younger (hopefully slightly better acting ability) version of Idris Elba I know which one I would rather choose!

Obviously race would also potentially come into play if both options were totally equal in all other areas.

In short, we should never be looking for a "Black Bond" rather it should go to whoever best fits the requirements and if that person is of a different ethnicity, so be it!