Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Since62 wrote: »
    I think I shall intentionally throw a wrench into the gears right now. Yes, I noted that Nicholas Hoult's teeth are just distracting, whereas, overall, he's a handsome guy. Having noted that - and I might have proposed this before - what about Benedict Cumberbatch for Bond ? He could even blend in that snob-Bond from the books. I am not suggesting he should be racist, colonial or a smoker, and I never found the know-it-all stuff (started when, GF ? Got pretty extreme with R Moore) amusing. So Bond need not vocally declare his love of fine things, just quietly enjoy them. Bond is a mix, after all. He had some of that posh-boy background, but also his parents died and he also got kicked out of school and later joined the military. He's capable of the strength and brutality of a much cruder person without that high-end in his background. Fassbender could play this well, too, methinks...and is more handsome.
    Way, way too famous for one.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    007HallY wrote: »
    First they came for the jawlines. And then the teeth...

More interesting than what could rule someone out is what criteria makes someone preferable, besides being Aidan Turner of course.

True, and I don't think we'll ever have a firm grasp on that in this threads. Personally, I'd prioritise character actors who have, in one form or another, a sort of 'X factor' about them onscreen that could translate into a portrayal of Bond. That's pretty vague/general though, and subject to interpretation...

Can you have an X factor in different aspects or is it a holistic quality? Some look more appropriate than others, some act better than others, some are more masculine etc.

Is X factor someone who fits all the checks on the list or is uniquely attractive/charismatic?

Teeth and hairlines are easily fixable nowadays. So I wouldn’t rule people out on these points.

I think you know what it is when you see it... if you do even see it, that is. I don't think there's a standard criteria you can go with. I'm sure there are many great actors out there who do have that certain 'something', a unique charisma and presence, but perhaps their interpretation of Bond simply won't be right for the film's tone, or perhaps what the producers are looking for at that time etc. Perhaps one actor's portrayal is more brooding, low key, another more tongue in cheek and ironic, another a mixture of both... That's why it's so hard in this case - we don't even know what Bond 26 is going to be like yet, let alone know who the actor could be.

Yes, I agree about teeth and hairlines. I think sometimes these aspects of an actor's appearance can be a red herring.

I can see many actors do the role justice, and I can see many different directions work. How do you choose? Do you do audience research? Do you pick a notable director and fit the actor to their vision.

I have my own preferences, so I suspect the producers have theirs. I don’t buy that the tone of the film goes before the actor, as it depends too much on the latter.

I wouldn’t rule out aged actors as they seem to possess more of that X factor.

Look forward to seeing Turner in The Suspect.

EMBARGOED-THE-SUSPECT-01-124ce5e.jpg?quality=45&resize=620,413

So far most of his work have been period pieces.

Same here, next month I believe it airs, The Suspect.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,318
    The new and improved gunbarrel

He has the moves down :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sorry JB.
    Nope
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I can certainly understand the Turner fatigue that some are experiencing, but he does deserve a look.
    Benny wrote: »
    Sorry JB.
    Nope

Ha, as if I was serious. Come on man. Turner was a ballroom dancer in a previous life and very talented from what I've read.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »
    I can certainly understand the Turner fatigue that some are experiencing, but he does deserve a look.

Yep I agree on that. Turner is probably my favourite to be Bond #7 right now but I can understand the fatigue around it.
    I think by the time they come to recast, he might be too old for the direction EON are looking to go in
  • Young Cillian would have been perfect.

Batman+Begins+UK+premiere+H0Wbukx27grx.jpg
    Young Cillian would have been perfect.

For you, apparently. I've seen him throughout his career in a variety of films and shows...never saw it. He "applied" to portray Batman, btw, when C Bale got the role. But Nolan and others liked him and placed him as a villain.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 784

For you, apparently. I've seen him throughout his career in a variety of films and shows...never saw it. He "applied" to portray Batman, btw, when C Bale got the role. But Nolan and others liked him and placed him as a villain.

Peaky Blinders has me convinced.

Way too soft looking, feminine even. Big nope.
    He's a fantastic actor and women love him, but I don't think he's right for James Bond at all.
    But, I wouldn't have said he'd have made a good Birmingham gangster either. And he was superb in Peaky, (on of the few TV shows I've watched in recent years).
    He's also about 170cm tall so again, nope.
    He's also about 170cm tall so again, nope.

I have to agree. Some of the suggested candidates are terrific actors. However their height should be a factor in the casting process.
    They film Peaky at a place I work at, and one of the workers there (a barmaid), said when she first saw Cillian Murphy in real life she thought he was a child at first. She said "they put him on a box when he has to kiss the women".
    She did say she'd still 'do him' though.
    Classy gal.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    She thought he was a child at first, but also she would still 'do him'!!!

Chris-Hansen-Take-A-Seat-Meme.jpg
    The way she told me, he was running in the yard and she said "careful where you're going sonny", and when he looked at her she went, 'oh, it's Tommy Shelby!'.
    I'm only reporting what she said.
    The actor that charmed the women the most was the guy that played Aberama Gold. I don't know his name, but the staff there thought he was lovely. He must have a Moore-like personality, if you know what I mean.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    The way she told me, he was running in the yard and she said "careful where you're going sonny", and when he looked at her she went, 'oh, it's Tommy Shelby!'.
    The actor that charmed the women the most was the guy that played Aberama Gold. I don't know his name, but the staff there thought he was lovely. He must have a Moore-like personality, if you know what I mean.
    Just to save everyone looking him up, it's Irish actor Aiden Gillen.
  • QsCatQsCat London

Haha thats brilliant.

As is this
    Just finished watching The Gray Man, I really don't want Rege Jean Page as Bond. He's not intimidating at all

Aiden Gillen - indeed - portrayed a character on GOT who ultimately was a VERY bad guy, and very charming at it. He was in one of those newly-done Robin Hood movies, too.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'd be less surprised if Idr
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Just finished watching The Gray Man, I really don't want Rege Jean Page as Bond. He's not intimidating at all

There is zero idea who the next Bond will be at the moment, but my own personal belief is that Mr. Page will be a very long shot.

I think the creatives are really trying to figure out who James Bond is in the present day. This is a lot more difficult than saying “go back to Fleming”…. They have to define his relevancy. Then design a script based upon this concept that’s also commercial and exciting, that will bring in new fans, keep the older fans content, and usher in a new 007.

A lot of spinning plates, but once they sort out a reason for James Bond to exist in the mid 2020s, and have a script in place that supports his relevancy, the true potential actors will surface…
  • Jordo007 wrote: »

I've just watched this too. No way is he suitable for Bond. My wife has just said that Chris Evans would make a better Bond than him.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited July 2022 Posts: 251
    peter wrote: »
    I think the creatives are really trying to figure out who James Bond is in the present day. This is a lot more difficult than saying “go back to Fleming”…. They have to define his relevancy. Then design a script based upon this concept that’s also commercial and exciting, that will bring in new fans, keep the older fans content, and usher in a new 007.

One thing I really do NOT want is endless justification of how Bond is relevant, in the very film he is IN. Every film from Skyfall onwards suffered from this. From individual lines to whole plot points, where Bond's relevance in-film was mirrored by the desperation to prove to audiences why Bond is still relevant today. I just want Bond to be in his prime and for them to bloody well get on with it. Make a great film and that will be enough to prove Bond films are still worth making, without talking about it in the script.

QsCat wrote: »

One thing I really do NOT want is endless justification of how Bond is relevant, in the very film he is IN. Every film from Skyfall onwards suffered from this. From individual lines to whole plot points, where Bond's relevance in-film was mirrored by the desperation to prove to audiences why Bond is still relevant today. I just want Bond to be in his prime and for them to bloody well get on with it. Make a great film and that will be enough to prove Bond films are still worth making, without talking about it in the script.

Agreed - if you make a fun secret agent movie with several superb set-pieces, plenty of fans still will beat a path to your door. The MI films are fine examples, as well as the fact that D Craig's Bond films made TONS of dinero...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited July 2022 Posts: 6,733

I couldn't agree more.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I couldn't agree more.

Also, THIS. Eff the whole relevancy bs. Sick of it. Period Bond please, stat.

There is zero idea who the next Bond will be at the moment, but my own personal belief is that Mr. Page will be a very long shot.

A lot of spinning plates, but once they sort out a reason for James Bond to exist in the mid 2020s, and have a script in place that supports his relevancy, the true potential actors will surface…

Cheers for your insight mate, you always manage to put it in perspective. It's hard not to get wrapped up in it all sometimes, such a big decision this time round.

@Scaramanga1974 that's it mate, I watched it with my Mrs as well. He's alright but not Bond in my book. He's got very little presence and he's not intimidating, which is what half of Bond is. When he got angry I was laughing if anything, perhaps that was the intention? Either way I'd be extremely disappointed if he were cast
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

Aiden Gillen - indeed - portrayed a character on GOT who ultimately was a VERY bad guy, and very charming at it. He was in one of those newly-done Robin Hood movies, too.
    He was brilliant as Carcetti in The Wire.