Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    40 is the new 25.
    If Tom Cruise can play Ethan Hunt into his 60's, and nobody whines about it, no doubt Cavill could play Bond at 40. Same for Aidan Turner.

Praise the gdamn lawd!
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    40 is the new 25.
    If Tom Cruise can play Ethan Hunt into his 60's, and nobody whines about it, no doubt Cavill could play Bond at 40. Same for Aidan Turner.

Not everyone is Tom Cruise though, and they’ll want a long term investment who they can keep for as many films as possible. When you take into account how those films are spread out now, every three to four years, I think it seems fairly likely that the next Bond will be someone in his 30s. I could see them going for someone a bit older if he was at Cavill’s level of fitness, but I don’t think it’s going to be Cavill himself, or Turner.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    40 is the new 25.

Not everyone is Tom Cruise though, and they’ll want a long term investment who they can keep for as many films as possible. When you take into account how those films are spread out now, every three to four years, I think it seems fairly likely that the next Bond will be someone in his 30s. I could see them going for someone a bit older if he was at Cavill’s level of fitness, but I don’t think it’s going to be Cavill himself, or Turner.

Agreed @thelivingroyale … I also think the true contenders will bubble to the surface once a script is in place— Eon will have made some type of decision of a “type” and they will find the one who did the best at reaching what they seek for this new era.
    40 is the new 25.

I guess it would come down to acting ability then. So no chance.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    40 is the new 25.

I guess it would come down to acting ability then. So no chance.

One can just hear the big cat licking the blood off its claws...the singing sound of the extreme burn...and the wheels turning while a wicked response is prepared...I hope the scriptwriters for the next film do as good a job as goes on display here sometimes !
  • Damson Idris
    MV5BNzM5OTJiM2QtZjM0Zi00YjQxLThmNDktNTg5ODFmNWE3NDNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkyMzI3MjU@._V1_.jpg
    the-2022-met-gala-celebrating-in-america-an-anthology-of-fashion-red-carpet-3
    GJ_DamonIdris_REh_04-2502x1200-c-center.jpg
    4a03423d9030d8952aa1b123cf24d769.jpg
    MV5BNThlMDQ3ZjAtOGM2Yi00M2IzLTlmZGUtODliNDMwZmFhNTI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkyMzI3MjU@._V1_.jpg
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Damson Idris

The bait has been set! Wait I got a better proposition. Guaranteed to be Bond!

0*eFffBDsbAVsuQ7y9.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    40 is the new 25.

Starting at 40 isn't the problem, it's the gaps between films.

I will say for Cruise though, I noticed in Fallout he was looking a little older. But him looking mature suited the tone of the film, and he carried it well.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    40 is the new 25.

I will say for Cruise though, I noticed in Fallout he was looking a little older. But him looking mature suited the tone of the film, and he carried it well.

I thought he looked fine in Fallout, but I think he does start to show his age a bit in the Dead Reckoning P1 trailer.
    40 is the new 25.

Exactly this.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 784
    Damson Idris

@JeremyBondon people like you get more offended than any woke mob I have ever seen. You don’t like Tom Doherty given he resembles Sean Connery the way Aidan does Dalton?

I can see Amazon insist on a nostalgic candidate that aesthetically reminds of previous actors or a big name because they paid big bucks for the franchise, and hope to convert the next film into paying subscribers.

But producers exert too much creative control in the industry already, and in-house producers and editors at streamers have a track record of ruining IP completely. It isn’t about ethnic diversity as much as it is censorship, bad casting decisions, hollow and repetitive writing and generic direction. If I was Amazon I would sit back, there is more to it than movie posters.

Aaron Taylor Johnson has good eyes.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    These are my options to play James Bond:
    • Aidan Turner
    • Richard Madden
    • Aaron Taylor-Johnson

;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, he’s 60 and starting to look 40, scandalous.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Regarding Taylor-Johnson, to get away from the obvious conversation again, the beauty of an actor whose only drawback for some people is his voice is that he's an actor and can easily change and shape it around the type of person he wants to play.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Regarding Taylor-Johnson, to get away from the obvious conversation again, the beauty of an actor whose only drawback for some people is his voice is that he's an actor and can easily change and shape it around the type of person he wants to play.

More than his voice is his complete lack of charisma; yes I know that’s subjective.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    If that's the case then I'd have to question his ability to convincingly portray different characters regardless of his intent, as his voice hasn't changed all that much in any of the many things I've seen him in. I've yet to see Bullet Train but the accent I've seen in clips is.....irritating.

He was good in Kick Ass and Nocturnal Animals, and that's about as contrasty as it gets in terms of his range.

I'd still give him a screen test though. Hell, I'd never deprive any actor of that in case we find a diamond in the rough. You never know.
    Damson Idris

@JeremyBondon people like you get more offended than any woke mob I have ever seen. You don’t like Tom Doherty given he resembles Sean Connery the way Aidan does Dalton?

I can see Amazon insist on a nostalgic candidate that aesthetically reminds of previous actors or a big name because they paid the big bucks for the franchise, and hope to convert the next film into paying subscribers.

But producers exert too much creative control in the industry already, and in-house producers and editors at streamers on top of it have a track record for ruining IP completely. It isn’t about ethnic diversity as much as it is censorship, bad casting decisions, hollow and repetitive writing and generic direction. If I was Amazon I would sit back, there is more to it than movie posters.

Aaron Taylor Johnson has good eyes.

Offended? Not the least bit. I truly stand by my woke feminist trans lesbian proposition. It's the last shackle in Bond casting evolution anyway so why not do it right after Craig instead.

I do like Tom Doherty his look, what is your point?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Since the dust has settled on NTTD, I'm really beginning to understand what Barbara meant when she said "I can't imagine Bond after Daniel"
  • Damson Idris
    MV5BNzM5OTJiM2QtZjM0Zi00YjQxLThmNDktNTg5ODFmNWE3NDNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkyMzI3MjU@._V1_.jpg
    the-2022-met-gala-celebrating-in-america-an-anthology-of-fashion-red-carpet-3
    GJ_DamonIdris_REh_04-2502x1200-c-center.jpg
    4a03423d9030d8952aa1b123cf24d769.jpg
    MV5BNThlMDQ3ZjAtOGM2Yi00M2IzLTlmZGUtODliNDMwZmFhNTI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkyMzI3MjU@._V1_.jpg

I think he’d have the look with a little bit more bulk. Something about his voice though… a little weak or high pitched for me.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Since the dust has settled on NTTD, I'm really beginning to understand what Barbara meant when she said "I can't imagine Bond after Daniel"
    Me too, Jordo. This is the trickiest point in Bond since the end of the Connery era - and even if I imagine a more TradBond like Ai*an T*rner, I don't think there'll be anything like a wholesale reversion to type, so I can't yet picture what the next few films are going to be like.
    I think if an actor is big enough to get publicity for other blockbuster roles they probably won't be cast as Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have often thought the Bond should be in his 30s or 40s as that is how Fleming wrote him.
    Then again, for DN Fleming himself wanted Niven who was in his 50s at the time.
    So if we use The Man as a parameter, a goy in his 50s isn t out of the question.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My issue has less to do with their age at the start of a new era and more to do with the gaps in between films. If they can get them back to 2-3 years in between releases, it's more feasible to cast someone that's a bit older to begin, but if we're waiting 4-5 years in between each installment, you'll be lucky to even get 2-3 installments out of a guy in his 30s.
    That's a good point, actually - if the recent rate continues, every new Bond's going to be pushing the end of his 00 career by his third film. They did interesting stuff with it in the Craig era, but it's not something I'd like to see become a trope.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 784
    Unfortunately less frequent films translate into bigger audiences and lesser risk. That incentive might change with Amazon premiering steady VoD revenues over box office.

Cinema still remains a credible marketing window akin to pre screenings, but other than that we see shrinking showing periods.

This is where the main conflict between EON and MGM/Amazon lies long term. Mediocrity might be in the interest of someone looking to purchase a controlling interest down the line or wanting to instill brand loyalty with children (which video games are better at anyway).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If that's the case then I'd have to question his ability to convincingly portray different characters regardless of his intent, as his voice hasn't changed all that much in any of the many things I've seen him in. I've yet to see Bullet Train but the accent I've seen in clips is.....irritating.

He was good in Kick Ass and Nocturnal Animals, and that's about as contrasty as it gets in terms of his range.

I'd still give him a screen test though. Hell, I'd never deprive any actor of that in case we find a diamond in the rough. You never know.

Taylor-Johnson was good in Nocturnal Animals yes indeed, but I was watching the Godzilla movie on a plane the other day and there's a point at which he becomes the lead character of the film, and he just isn't up to it. The film suddenly becomes lead-less - he's shockingly poor in terms of being a movie star.
    I realise that film is a few years old now, but I wouldn't be looking at him.
    mtm wrote: »

Taylor-Johnson was good in Nocturnal Animals yes indeed, but I was watching the Godzilla movie on a plane the other day and there's a point at which he becomes the lead character of the film, and he just isn't up to it. The film suddenly becomes lead-less - he's shockingly poor in terms of being a movie star.
    I realise that film is a few years old now, but I wouldn't be looking at him.

Absolutely . The quality of “Godzilla “ plummeted once Cranston’s character was gone. The human aspect of the story should have been focused on him and Ken Watanabe. Taylor-Johnson did nothing to show that he could carry a film of this scale.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I remember Cranston got top billing in that film, and then in the first act they show a closeup of them zipping up the bodybag he was in as if to show the audience they knew they had just played a joke on us.
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson sucks and would be an extremely disappointing choice for Bond.
    This is where the main conflict between EON and MGM/Amazon lies long term. Mediocrity might be in the interest of someone looking for a controlling interest.
    Yes, that's another good point. In reference to the gap between films, EON recently said 'we're not a factory' - but Amazon might well be satisfied with mediocrity if it meant that they got more regular returns, so they could well butt heads with EON by pushing for shorter gaps. I'm damn sure they didn't buy into Bond for the artistic fulfilment, after all.