The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    At least it looks like a real blockbuster and not as an expensive tv show. I get Hobbit vibes from the teaser, from an aesthetic point of view.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 440
    I think that's probably the biggest problem for me. We're two decades removed from it and we're still aping Jackson's aesthetic.

There were many different visual adaptions of LOTR before those movies and they each had a pretty distinct look and style to them but now everything has to look like a lesser clone of those.

The other big problem with the visuals doesn't come down to CGI or practical effects, but rather that everything looks so weirdly clean and polished.

Even the things which are definitely practical costumes, sets, and locations mostly look pristine. Which is an aesthetic that could completely work for this story, but not when you're trying to copy Jackson's style.

What defines his version of Middle Earth is that nearly every structure and person looked grimy, dirty, or rundown to some degree.

• In other words Jackson's adaptations looked real.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Empire’s The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power World-Exclusive Covers Revealed
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-world-exclusive-covers-revealed/
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Still can't get my head around the fact that they've spent $1 billion on this series, for it to look like a scene from a mid range fantasy game.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,328
    Money is no substitue for talent and creativity.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I think one aspect of the problem I have with the Empire shoot is nobody does good straight-forward behind-the-scenes photos anymore, where you get a sense of characterization and life from the actors on set, etc. When you stage them like in this shoot and have them all break the fourth wall, it's lifeless and looks cheap.
    The Earth Needs More Elf Fans - Prime Video - See Where It Takes You
    The Rings of Power Teaser 2

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I really don't know about this one but I'll give it a chance. Full trailer is coming soon.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I really don't know about this one but I'll give it a chance. Full trailer is coming soon.

Yeah I can't say I am impressed though the key to this show will be the strength of the story and how Middle Earth Lore is handled for me.
    Lord of the Rings: Ringadingding
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,328
    THE LORD OF THE RINGS: The Rings of Power Trailer 2 (2022)

That looked good.
    These trailers just aren't grabbing me how I'd like. I want it to be great, I want it to crush expectations, and I'll still check it out once it releases (much like House of the Dragon), but I haven't seen anything yet that's really blown me away.
    I liked a lot of the visual's though after watching the trailer a few times the dialogue felt a bit clunky.

Why do shows and films keep having to say, 'forget the past', 'new beginnings'... etc etc...

I am a long time Amazon Prime subscriber and Tolkien fan (I studied Norse Mythology and Tolkien at University) so I was always going to watch it. I am not going to jump on the purist band wagon, I am a fan of fantasy films so I will just go with it until if and when the show loses me.
    I liked a lot of the visual's though after watching the trailer a few times the dialogue felt a bit clunky.

Why do shows and films keep having to say, 'forget the past', 'new beginnings'... etc etc...

I am a long time Amazon Prime subscriber and Tolkien fan (I studied Norse Mythology and Tolkien at University) so I was always going to watch it. I am not going to jump on the purist band wagon, I am a fan of fantasy films so I will just go with it until if and when the show loses me.

Yeah I'm pretty tired of those buzzwords and terms that are overused. I swear, for a while there in the 2010s, it felt like EVERY film with a bit of mystery or foreboding doom used the line "there's a storm coming" in some variation. It grew old really fast.

As for us, we have Prime through a friend's account, kindly enough, so I'll have no reason not to check this out. I'll probably avoid my millionth LOTR trilogy rewatch so the new series doesn't compare even more poorly to the perfection that is those three films together. I really hope I love this first season. Pretty crazy that we're getting so many big fantasy shows/spinoffs/sequels such as this in such a small period of time.

Yeah I'm pretty tired of those buzzwords and terms that are overused. I swear, for a while there in the 2010s, it felt like EVERY film with a bit of mystery or foreboding doom used the line "there's a storm coming" in some variation. It grew old really fast.

As for us, we have Prime through a friend's account, kindly enough, so I'll have no reason not to check this out. I'll probably avoid my millionth LOTR trilogy rewatch so the new series doesn't compare even more poorly to the perfection that is those three films together. I really hope I love this first season. Pretty crazy that we're getting so many big fantasy shows/spinoffs/sequels such as this in such a small period of time.

I struggle to keep up with the output of shows, I have a watch list that is getting out of control. Its got to the point I narrow shows down to a few Subscription services at a time then switch to another service and catch up on the shows I missed there, often several months after release dates. Avoiding spoilers is not always easy.

The fact that many involved with LOTR trilogy are working on this new show gives me a little bit of hope.

I struggle to keep up with the output of shows, I have a watch list that is getting out of control. Its got to the point I narrow shows down to a few Subscription services at a time then switch to another service and catch up on the shows I missed there, often several months after release dates. Avoiding spoilers is not always easy.

The fact that many involved with LOTR trilogy are working on this new show gives me a little bit of hope.

That's the best way to do it. I have a huge, huge backlog of shows to get to but I've been solely prioritizing films this year so I haven't bothered with any, past Euphoria, Barry and Westworld.
    Just like the other trailer.This new new LOTR trailer has been MASSIVELY downvoted on YouTube.Yes,YouTube has removed the ability to view dislikes but not to those using a chrome extension.

I’m not even a fan of the franchise,but it’s clear that this show is going a woke trashfire.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Will Sandra Bullock, Colin Firth and Jason Isaacs pop up in it later for older versions :))
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I feel more than anything, this show really needs Howard Shore's music, even if it's only music. But then again, it's Howard Shore's music.
    THE LORD OF THE RINGS: The Rings of Power Comic-Con Trailer (2022)

I am in.
    A ComicCon trailer has me a bit more hopeful that we get our first look at John Wick 4 later today.
    A ComicCon trailer has me a bit more hopeful that we get our first look at John Wick 4 later today.

There are certain details in this new trailer that make me excited that they may develop a good story.

John Wick 4 I can't wait, I am still holding off on a 4K boxset until I know the series is over. i have digital copies.
    Yeah the trailers have gotten better and better for this series, I feel like. I hope it delivers.
    Yeah the trailers have gotten better and better for this series, I feel like. I hope it delivers.

They really should not have bothered with the first two trailers they were poor in comparison. I bet a lot of post production was still ongoing and they just wanted to get it out there.

They really should not have bothered with the first two trailers they were poor in comparison. I bet a lot of post production was still ongoing and they just wanted to get it out there.

Agreed. I understand where they're coming from but best to wait to show it off when it's properly ready.

Agreed. I understand where they're coming from but best to wait to show it off when it's properly ready.

Exactly if I am presenting a project you want to show it close to its highest level or you just end up putting doubt in the audiences mind.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

I love what I'm hearing from McCreary so far!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I'm starting to feel the hype. The visuals are amazing.