The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If Mendes has already told EON he's not interested in coming back, conversations with Nolan could already be well underway. If this is the case, it would fit for both EON and Nolan in their cycles and Bond 24 may be his.

Don't hold your breath. Nolan said: “It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things.” I believe he means he would want to make a Bond film with a new actor playing Bond. An actor that he would cast, not someone else before him.

I believe “It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things” means Nolan would want to direct when he knows he is free and able to, eg. no upcoming projects, and EON are actively looking for a director for the next film. That may be as soon as the next film.

Nolan hasn't mentioned anything about not wanting to work with Craig and I believe in the past has said he likes him playing the role of Bond. It could just be many are reading too far into it. Nolan knows he wouldn't get that much power with a Bond film anyway which brings me onto...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Having a script, from what we've heard, done, also helps.

Not in this case. It's more than likely Nolan would only direct a Bond film if it would be written by himself and his brother.

Nolan knows this too would not be happen. As the director he would be able to give sizeable input to the story, regardless.
    I truly believe Nolan will direct a Bond film in the future but it won't be Bond 24 that's for sure.

The timing seems too perfect. Too good an opportunity to pass up, if Mendes should not want to return.

We shall see what happens in due course.
    It's more than likely Nolan would only direct a Bond film if it would be written by himself and his brother.

In that case Nolan will never direct a Bond film because EON will never give the director that much power over the film.

You can never know. People believed EON would never let any director replace David Anrold and look what happened...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,690
    It's more than likely Nolan would only direct a Bond film if it would be written by himself and his brother.

In that case Nolan will never direct a Bond film because EON will never give the director that much power over the film.

You can never know. People believed EON would never let any director replace David Anrold and look what happened...

your point is... ? we're talking about letting a director write the script, not about replacing a composer which happened many times in the series before. If John Barry was replaced after 6 films, it's perfecly normal that Arnold could be replaced after 5 films.

your example is moot, as letting a director replace a composer is a million times less significant than letting the director write the script.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 4,619
    your point is... ? we're talking about letting a director write the script, not about replacing a composer which happened many times in the series before. If John Barry was replaced after 6 films, it's perfecly normal that Arnold could be replaced after 5 films.

My point is that you can not know that EON would not allow Nolan to write the script.
    And yes, replacing the composer has happened many times before but never because the director wanted to bring in a new composer.

EONs main objective is always to create a great Bond movie. Nolan is a great writer. Why on Earth would they not let him write (or at least co-write) the screenplay?

I believe if there will be a Bond film directed by Nolan, it will be co-written by Nolan and it will feature a new Bond. And it won't be Bond 24.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,480
    I think Craig and Nolan would be an excellent mash-up, and I really hope this happens in the future.

Here's Nolan talking about TDKR literary inspiration:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92305
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I don't want Nolan for Bond 24, because that will probably be a Craig film, and I'd actually rather wait until a new actor was cast for a Nolan Bond film. He's great at introducing characters and could create a new style for that era.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,043
    This film will be a game changer and I wouldn't bank on EON not giving Nolan an option to write as well as direct, they must know the opportunity to have him helm an entry would mean box office gold and when all said and done Bond has always been about making money, don't fool yourself it's anything else.

By making money it allows them to make more and if they have to adapt to move with the times they will, just because the past legacy of the the series has always travelled down this path don't think it always will, Bond films since CR have evolved I see them evolving more if they want to play with the big boys. Do you seriously think they wouldn't want Batman, Potter, Transformer's like grosses if they could get them?

On the subject of TDKR I seriously can't wait for my IMAX screening on the 20th July 3pm, Bond had tempered my anticipation for this for a while but now it's back at fever pitch and I'm a giddy as a school boy!
  • It's more than likely Nolan would only direct a Bond film if it would be written by himself and his brother.

Well what if Nolan wrote the thing with Pervis/Wade?
  • Anyone else seeing the midnight showing? I'm seeing it right after the final weekend run of my play starts up on the 19th. PSBTW, I play the Villain, so I'm psyched about Tom Hardy!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    I hate the thought of a Blofeld character returning, but if it had to be done, bring in Nolan.

But either way, Nolan soon is better than Nolan later imo. CraigBond seems his forte.
    Anyone else seeing the midnight showing? I'm seeing it right after the final weekend run of my play starts up on the 19th. PSBTW, I play the Villain, so I'm psyched about Tom Hardy!

Good luck with the play!

Didn´t they basically did just that with QoS?

@boldfinger, I believe he was helped throughout the film. Everyone speaks of Forster never directing a true action film - neither has Mendes, sans 'Road to Perdition' - but they have a unit that helps him along with it. Sure, he has a part in it, but it isn't entirely his fault, unless what I've been led to believe is incorrect, which it could be.

I'm sure if Nolan stepped in to direct, they would give him a good amount of control.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm seeing this thing twice opening week. My girl has to start working early so she prefers not to see the Wednesday première of 20:30 but the Friday evening screening instead. I respect that.

Which is why I'm seeing the Wednesday première all by myself and then return with her for the Friday screening. That's love. :\">
    I dont get too excited to watch movies these days but this I have booked Imax tickets for the opening day.
    I'm also watching a BB/TDK double bill on the 17th at the local Cineworld just to refresh (not that I need to).
    TDK was frankly the greatest cinema experience I've ever had (non Bond wise) after Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes Back on their original releases.
    I expect this one to be even greater than TDK :)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    So, two tickets is booked for the premiere night. Unfortanly that is the 24th of July here in Sweden. So it is the night to the 25th.
  • Looking beyond - batman played by Fassbender anyone?
    Looking beyond - batman played by Fassbender anyone?

:-&
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I will see this on opening day here (july 25th) :)
    @boldfinger, I believe he was helped throughout the film. Everyone speaks of Forster never directing a true action film - neither has Mendes, sans 'Road to Perdition' - but they have a unit that h
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm seeing this thing twice opening week. My girl has to start working early so she prefers not to see the Wednesday première of 20:30 but the Friday evening screening instead. I respect that.

Which is why I'm seeing the Wednesday première all by myself and then return with her for the Friday screening. That's love. :\">

That's just a sacrifice you'll have to take; a sacrifice I'm quite jealous of. My girl is out of town, so I'll have to see it with a few friends.

Incredibly pricy figurines, but they look very, very cool:
    http://www.shopdcentertainment.com/category/dc+collectibles/all+dc+collectibles.do?brand=The+Dark+Knight+Rises&sortby=bestSellersAscend&adid=EDCNEWSLETTER&ref=EDC120704
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,767
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92316
    comingsoon wrote:
    Chris Nolan Says 'No' to Justice League
    Source: The Associated Press July 9, 2012

It shouldn't be that big of a surprise to us, but it sure is a disappointment - Christopher Nolan will not be helping in any capacity with a Justice League film. When asked in an Associated Press interview whether he had plans for the movie, his reply was simple.

"No, none at all," Nolan said. "We're finished with all we're doing with Batman. This is the end of our take on this character."

Easy enough, but it seems he's cutting off any hopes we might have had of him doing any other DC property all together.

He also said he [does] not intend to get involved with any future solo Batman films when distributor Warner Bros., which owns DC Comics, decides the time is right to launch a new take on the masked vigilante.

"Batman will outlive us all, and our interpretation was ours. Obviously, we consider it definitive and kind of finished. The great thing about Batman is he lives on for future generations to reinterpret, and obviously, Warners will have to decide in the future what they're going to do with him," Nolan said. "We've had our say on the character. ...

"I've got no plans to do anything more, and certainly, no involvement with any 'Justice League' project."

There you have it, you may begin your period of mourning.

No reason to mourn IMHO. I mean, who wants to see a JL movie?

I reaaallllyyyy want to know where Nolan will go next.

But I altogether don't want a Justice League movie unless some really big names are added to the writing/directing staff..
    I just thinking the timing is incredibly grand for Nolan, such that he should do Bond 24. Maybe he relaxes for the next year, or does a smaller film, and by this time in 2013, he will be ready to gear up for Bond. I would love it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

But I altogether don't want a Justice League movie unless some really big names are added to the writing/directing staff..

I'm not looking for big names attached to the project, but people that are fans of the series of characters and can represent them well on screen with a great story.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I'm not looking for big names attached to the project, but people that are fans of the series of characters and can represent them well on screen with a great story.

I suppose Whedon wasn't a big name prior to Avengers.. but Mendes is a big name and he's been a fan of Bond since his childhood. That's what I intended by saying 'big names'. People who have proved themselves, but are fans of what they creating.
    @JWESTBROOK, I still love how Mendes said he refused to do it unless he was 100% sure that he could deliver the best possible film and give it his all, in terms of SF.

Here's a preview of Christopher Nolan's interview, airing tonight, on ABC's Nightline:
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/christopher-nolan-dark-knight-rises-nightline-interview-video/
  • RC7RC7
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I reaaallllyyyy want to know where Nolan will go next

Another original Nolan masterpiece. There's an interview with Michael Caine states something along the lines of 'Chris has got something lined up and I'm in it.'

JWESTBROOK wrote:

I'm sure you could ask Michael Caine, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, so on and so on.... lol jk
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    dchantry wrote:
    I dont get too excited to watch movies these days but this I have booked Imax tickets for the opening day.
    I'm also watching a BB/TDK double bill on the 17th at the local Cineworld just to refresh (not that I need to).

Do you have a cineworld card? I do. I've wrinsed the hell out of it plus 10% off all food, drink and snacks. When TDR comes out, I'm seeing it every day for a week and same goes for SF too.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,619
    According to cinematographer Wally Pfister, The Dark Knight Rises has less than 500 visual effect shots (CGI, miniatures, everything that was added in post-production)! And the movie is 165 minutes long! Just for comparison: QOS (a movie where they wanted to do as much as possible "for real"), which is 106 minutes long had 900+ visual effect shots!