The Matrix (1999 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Spot on, @DarthDimi. It really does hammer home that "remember when?" aspect so much that I constantly found myself saying "yes, I do remember when. Let's get back to it." If you're going to go that meta, why are all the aspects that evoke the originals and the inherent technical elements so damn inferior and awful looking? Even Neo's prowess (or legendary lack thereof now) is wasted - he gets one repetitious sparring scene that's nothing like the original, a tussle with Smith (that's laughably bad) and then spends the rest of the time blocking bullets, explosions and car crashes with his hand, with occasional interjections by the Analyst to kill any sort of good pacing.

If they end up doing a sequel to this and it's in the exact same style as this one, count me out.

I am guessing there is nothing comparable to The Chateau scene...

Not even close. There were maybe one or two snippets of fisticuffs between Neo and Morpheus that were enjoyable enough, before the excessive cutting and generic moves took hold and stood out in a negative way. Yuen Woo-ping's work was sorely missed here, you can see just how much influence his choreography and work with the actors had in the originals. Here, it doesn't feel like much of anyone had to go through any training at all for what they brought to the screen.

For a film as revolutionary and jaw-dropping as the original is, returning after all this time with virtually nothing to say and nothing as groundbreaking on display is really upsetting.

I am seriously thinking of ignoring this film completely, not good.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Spot on, @DarthDimi. It really does hammer home that "remember when?" aspect so much that I constantly found myself saying "yes, I do remember when. Let's get back to it." If you're going to go that meta, why are all the aspects that evoke the originals and the inherent technical elements so damn inferior and awful looking? Even Neo's prowess (or legendary lack thereof now) is wasted - he gets one repetitious sparring scene that's nothing like the original, a tussle with Smith (that's laughably bad) and then spends the rest of the time blocking bullets, explosions and car crashes with his hand, with occasional interjections by the Analyst to kill any sort of good pacing.

If they end up doing a sequel to this and it's in the exact same style as this one, count me out.

Not even close. There were maybe one or two snippets of fisticuffs between Neo and Morpheus that were enjoyable enough, before the excessive cutting and generic moves took hold and stood out in a negative way. Yuen Woo-ping's work was sorely missed here, you can see just how much influence his choreography and work with the actors had in the originals. Here, it doesn't feel like much of anyone had to go through any training at all for what they brought to the screen.

For a film as revolutionary and jaw-dropping as the original is, returning after all this time with virtually nothing to say and nothing as groundbreaking on display is really upsetting.

I saw another comment state something akin to "the only way to understand how bad The Matrix Resurrections is is to watch it for yourself." It's impressive, how poorly constructed this one is; all the meta elements, the blunt commentary, the endless exposition that takes up a good 60% of the film's middle section, the poorly replaced actors, the bad action (some of these scenes feel like holdover sequences from Jupiter Ascending), and don't get me started on what they did to the Agents this time around. It's now Neo and co. vs. World War Z or something. I couldn't believe it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,388

I saw another comment state something akin to "the only way to understand how bad The Matrix Resurrections is is to watch it for yourself." It's impressive, how poorly constructed this one is; all the meta elements, the blunt commentary, the endless exposition that takes up a good 60% of the film's middle section, the poorly replaced actors, the bad action (some of these scenes feel like holdover sequences from Jupiter Ascending), and don't get me started on what they did to the Agents this time around. It's now Neo and co. vs. World War Z or something. I couldn't believe it.

Even with the third film the philosophical and religious references and commentary kept me locked in, going to watch Revolutions after sport finishes.

By the sounds of it the only way the fourth film will be good for me is the reason for the film being bad is intentional to make commentary of the superficial world we live in.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Even with the third film the philosophical and religious references and commentary kept me locked in, going to watch Revolutions after sport finishes.

By the sounds of it the only way the fourth film will be good for me is the reason for the film being bad is intentional to make commentary of the superficial world we live in.

Looking forward to reading your comments, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

They do a fairly good job of that, I suppose, even if you're hit over the head with it one too many times. There are fleeting instances of great ideas on display that go nowhere (like a Machine War that's introduced and tossed aside in a matter of seconds). I just don't see any amount of setup here that would justify a new trilogy or even another sequel.

Regardless, I feel the same about your opinions in regards to TV/film so I'll be heavily looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. Keep me posted.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,388
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I am seriously thinking of not watching Matrix 4 time will tell, decided to wait for VOD so it will be a few months for me.

They do a fairly good job of that, I suppose, even if you're hit over the head with it one too many times. There are fleeting instances of great ideas on display that go nowhere (like a Machine War that's introduced and tossed aside in a matter of seconds). I just don't see any amount of setup here that would justify a new trilogy or even another sequel.

Regardless, I feel the same about your opinions in regards to TV/film so I'll be heavily looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. Keep me posted.

Any chance the film is dense enough to improve with multiple views, I know me being me I will try to find ways to like the film lol
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,034
    The biggest issue for me was simply how dull it was. Revolutions is not very good, at all, but it's never dull.

I am seriously thinking of not watching Matrix 4 time will tell, decided to wait for VOD so it will be a few months for me.

Any chance the film is dense enough to improve with multiple views, I know me being me I will try to find ways to like the film lol

I admire the optimism! Like I said, there are some very intriguing ideas on display, ones that, had they been much more fleshed out and properly realized, could've been very entertaining and paved the way to a new trilogy.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Look, if you wanna think about it too hard, the first Matrix movie is a complete mess of a story filled with plot holes, inconsistencies & downright impossibilities (Human BTU's combined with a form of fusion????). But it looked & sounded great & had cool fight scenes. Anyone saying Resurrections didn't make sense has no high ground here.
    Did Resurrections top or even equal the first in music or fight scenes? No. But that wasn't the purpose of the film. The purposes of the film were:
    A) To let people like ME (who were unhappy with the last film leaving Neo & Trinity dead) go back & enjoy 2 & 3 without reservation.
    B) Tell a love story.
    C) Make sure this is where Matrix movies end.
    Succeeded in all three. I'm happy.
    I'll just sit here bein' happy. B-)
    My Son & I just watched the first Matrix tonight. My God that is such a perfect definition of 'Lightning In A Bottle'.
    2, 3 & 4 are all nowhere NEAR that level of awesome.....
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,343
    chrisisall wrote: »
    SPOILER....

Oops. >:)
    It seems to me that people are either skipping this or watching at home. That's the problem with a simultaneous release at home and theaters is that people won't pay to see something in theaters that they are already paying for at home.

That's why Bond and Spider-Man were successful and Matrix is not. Would Spider-Man have made as much with a simultaneous release on Disney Plus or Bond on Prime Video?

Yeah, that’s why companies are pretty much dropping that method at the end of the year. The deal made sense in 2020 when theaters were forced to shut down and there was no vaccine available. Their highest grossing film so far is KONG VS GODZILLA. That might have made even more if it was theaters only, but there it is.

GvK was merely saved by China ($188M out of $467M) where the studio ends up keeping only a 25% revenue.
    Anyway regarding this $190M suicidal budgeted film, it would’ve been a big bomb even without Max. The film was not only poorly received by critics and audiences... it’s a new chapter no one ever really cared about especially after almost 20 years with two sequels universally seen as two big downers compared to the original.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I finally got around to watching Resurrections last night. I was nervous to watch it because the original trilogy had a big impact on me back in the day and I still love them to this day. I have to say that I’m not too surprised to see some negative reviews in this thread but I actually enjoyed myself. I knew I was watching something that was different from the originals. I read some comments on here that said this was a “remember this” film which I can kind of agree with but it does it in a way that adds to the story and isn’t in there to just be nostalgic, like newer Star Wars content does. Resurrections is an epilogue to the trilogy that we don’t really need but I’m glad we got. We get to see the aftermath of what happens after Neo’s victory in Revolutions and
    Neo and Trinity get the happy ending they deserve and both become The One, or rather The Two. This movie is very much a love story and an official wrap up to The Matrix for us fans. However if they decide to make it the beginning of a new trilogy I wouldn’t complain.
    Resurrections isn’t without it faults though. The action isn’t anywhere near the level of the original trilogy and the music is mostly forgettable. The only new characters that are actually memorable and likable are Bugs, the Analyst and
    the new Morphis.
    Anybody else that was new was more background noise to me.

The Matrix
    Reloaded
    Resurrections
    Revolutions
    I finally got around to watching Resurrections last night. I was nervous to watch it because the original trilogy had a big impact on me back in the day and I still love them to this day. I have to say that I’m not too surprised to see some negative reviews in this thread but I actually enjoyed myself. I knew I was watching something that was different from the originals. I read some comments on here that said this was a “remember this” film which I can kind of agree with but it does it in a way that adds to the story and isn’t in there to just be nostalgic, like newer Star Wars content does. Resurrections is an epilogue to the trilogy that we don’t really need but I’m glad we got. We get to see the aftermath of what happens after Neo’s victory in Revolutions and
    Neo and Trinity get the happy ending they deserve and both become The One, or rather The Two. This movie is very much a love story and an official wrap up to The Matrix for us fans. However if they decide to make it the beginning of a new trilogy I wouldn’t complain.
    Resurrections isn’t without it faults though. The action isn’t anywhere near the level of the original trilogy and the music is mostly forgettable. The only new characters that are actually memorable and likable are Bugs, the Analyst and
    the new Morphis.

The Matrix
    Reloaded
    Resurrections
    Revolutions

Absolutely perfect review IMHO.
    The best part is that this was intended as a final installment & love letter to the hardcore fans & it succeeded. Box office flop. The very definition of subversive.
    I cannot WAIT for the Bluray. The very definition of consumer....
    DVD & Blu Ray March 8th.
    Streaming it looked great, but BD always seems to look better...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    the new Morphis.

The Matrix
    Reloaded
    Resurrections
    Revolutions

The best part is that this was intended as a final installment & love letter to the hardcore fans & it succeeded. Box office flop. The very definition of subversive.

We're nothing if not rapacious, aren't we? ;-) A film we love should be enough of a gift; a film we hate should leave us wanting nothing more of it--yet we want the Bluray fast and preferably loaded with bonus material. I remember seeing Wonder Woman 1984, thinking it was the least interesting DC film in the Snyderverse, only to proceed by pre-ordering the Bluray disc. As you say, @chrisisall, we're consumers of products as well as lovers of art. And sometimes, those two don't agree with each other.
    the new Morphis.

The Matrix
    Reloaded
    Resurrections
    Revolutions

We're nothing if not rapacious, aren't we? ;-) A film we love should be enough of a gift; a film we hate should leave us wanting nothing more of it--yet we want the Bluray fast and preferably loaded with bonus material. I remember seeing Wonder Woman 1984, thinking it was the least interesting DC film in the Snyderverse, only to proceed by pre-ordering the Bluray disc. As you say, @chrisisall, we're consumers of products as well as lovers of art. And sometimes, those two don't agree with each other.

Funny, we saw WW1984, and I enjoyed it for what it was, but I never bought the Blu Ray.... I really never need to see it again.
    Just bought Dune (2021) for my Son today & we watched it... dayum was that good. I still like the Lynch version a LOT... It's like Batman '89 & Batman Begins....
    NTTD was a one watch for me. 'Nuff said.

But Matrix: Resurrections was like a religious experience for me.
    The 1999 movie freaked me. The next movie intrigued me to no end. The third movie killed me.
    Resurrections resurrected me.
    Okay, yeah, it's all about me.
    ;)

edited February 2022 Posts: 23,388
    I finally watched Matrix Ressurections I thought it was very clever, watched it a second time and it was even better. Its different to the Trilogy though let's be honest Resolutions ran out of steam and was not very thought provoking compared to the other films. Ressurections has some great ideas and concepts, admittedly the action was not as good as previous films though it was entertaining enough. The Matrix really did a number on Neo, I was genuinely concerned for Thomas Anderson during a particular scene.

Edited: Just purchased the score to Matrix Ressurections I I really like it, the Neo and Trinity theme is great. Watched the film three times now, the 4K rental expires tomorrow so will try to get one more viewing in.

I plan to buy a 4K collectors edition if possible when Matrix Ressurections is available for purchase.

• I finally watched Matrix Ressurections I thought it was very clever, watched it a second time and it was even better. Its different to the Trilogy though let's be honest Resolutions ran out of steam and was not very thought provoking compared to the other films. Ressurections has some great ideas and concepts, admittedly the action was not as good as previous films though it was entertaining enough. The Matrix really did a number on Neo, I was genuinely concerned for Thomas Anderson during a particular scene.

Edited: Just purchased the score to Matrix Ressurections I I really like it, the Neo and Trinity theme is great. Watched the film three times now, the 4K rental expires tomorrow so will try to get one more viewing in.

I'm looking forward to any resolution that's better than Revolutions—will have to check this new one out soon!
    I finally watched Matrix Ressurections I thought it was very clever, watched it a second time and it was even better. Its different to the Trilogy though let's be honest Resolutions ran out of steam and was not very thought provoking compared to the other films. Ressurections has some great ideas and concepts, admittedly the action was not as good as previous films though it was entertaining enough. The Matrix really did a number on Neo, I was genuinely concerned for Thomas Anderson during a particular scene.

I'm looking forward to any resolution that's better than Revolutions—will have to check this new one out soon!

Because of a lot of mixed reviews I lowered my expectations, though I was pleasantly surprised and locked into the film immediately because of the seriousness of some of the subject matter.

*I mean Revolutions on my post above, predictive text that's my excuse.
  • I finally watched Matrix Ressurections I thought it was very clever, watched it a second time and it was even better. Its different to the Trilogy though let's be honest Resolutions ran out of steam and was not very thought provoking compared to the other films. Ressurections has some great ideas and concepts, admittedly the action was not as good as previous films though it was entertaining enough. The Matrix really did a number on Neo, I was genuinely concerned for Thomas Anderson during a particular scene.

Because of a lot of mixed reviews I lowered my expectations, though I was pleasantly surprised and locked into the film immediately because of the seriousness of some of the subject matter.

My expectations are definitely tempered as well. Still, I'm hopeful.

My expectations are definitely tempered as well. Still, I'm hopeful.

@Some_Kind_Of_Hero honestly, the fights aren't as innovative, the music generally isn't as excellent, and the reveals are nothing astonishing. Still, you should check it out.
    Did I do a good job of selling you on it here?
    Blu Ray on March 8th & I am so there.
  • Haha, @chrisisall, I can't wait! I am going in expecting something more low-key. Something not altogether spectacular and perhaps even wildly different in tone from the trilogy. I'm okay with all that. I just want a satisfying conclusion.

I really like this track.

Yeah, it's good. Driven & forceful.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

They really should have brought Davis back. Although I suppose the new soundtrack fits with the film's "same, but just done a little bit lazier as a knock against current blockbuster filmmaking" ethos.
    Rented Ressurections again, I am wondering if Neo never left the source and everything in the film is just designed to subdue and control him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There are some interesting ideas in the beginning, and a couple of beautiful sequences towards the end, but all in all a slight disappointment. It doesn t touch the original, but is for sure better than Revolutions.
    Resurrections to me is about trauma and mental health, brilliant film. I think in time it will be better appreciated.
    Resurrections to me is about trauma and mental health, brilliant film. I think in time it will be better appreciated.

Agreed.

Great track, listening to the score now.