The Matrix (1999 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,271
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I’ve still not had a chance to see it but I’m looking forward to it sometime soon. The snippets of action I’ve seen, though, have me tampering expectations, as they don’t look to be even remotely on the same level of the original trilogy.

I have lowered my expectations, how I rate the film will be based on the concept and the social commentary its presenting.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I just left the theater. I enjoyed a good portion of it. It took awhile to really get going, but once it did, it felt like a serviceable sequel to the original story
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I’ve still not had a chance to see it but I’m looking forward to it sometime soon. The snippets of action I’ve seen, though, have me tampering expectations, as they don’t look to be even remotely on the same level of the original trilogy.

The fight scenes are actually really well done, but no one stands out as a memorable masterpiece as in the first film. The fight choreographer is professional & experienced, but no one is Yuen Woo-Ping except Yuen Woo-Ping. I enjoyed them anyway.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s definitely more of a romance film than a action film

I concur.
    I just ordered The Animatrix (I've never seen it). Then I'm gonna watch them all in order.
    Oh wow!

That’ll for sure change your perception of humanity and machines in the franchise
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Toneally, Resurrections is night and day to the original. It definitely didn't feel like a Matrix film in various areas.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Watching my 4K copy of The Matrix now, Masterpiece.

The Animatrix is great especially The Second Renaissance Part 1 and 2
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,844
    chrisisall wrote: »

I concur.
    I just ordered The Animatrix (I've never seen it). Then I'm gonna watch them all in order.

You are in for a fantastic time! As @MakeshiftPython mentioned, some of the shorts really add to the Matrix lore. Others are just cool concepts or extensions of ideas raised in the films, but the whole package is enjoyable on account of how varied the art styles all are.

On watching them in order, even though The Animatrix was released just after Reloaded, I would recommend watching it between the first and second films. "Final Flight of the Osiris" directly leads into Reloaded and one of the film's new characters is introduced in The Animatrix too. A couple of the shorts address things that happened before The Matrix (1999), but storytelling-wise they make more sense when watched after that film.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,687

I concur.

You are in for a fantastic time! As @MakeshiftPython mentioned, some of the shorts really add to the Matrix lore. Others are just cool concepts or extensions of ideas raised in the films, but the whole package is enjoyable on account of how varied the art styles all are.

On watching them in order, even though The Animatrix was released just after Reloaded, I would recommend watching it between the first and second films. "Final Flight of the Osiris" directly leads into Reloaded and one of the film's new characters is introduced in The Animatrix too. A couple of the shorts address things that happened before The Matrix (1999), but storytelling-wise they make more sense when watched after that film.

Thanks for that tip- I will do as you say.
    I've only seen Revolutions once- when it came out. It will seem like an almost new movie for me.
    Toneally, Resurrections is night and day to the original. It definitely didn't feel like a Matrix film in various areas.

I am hearing this alot, I just hope thats part of the point of the film when I finally see it.

I am hearing this alot, I just hope thats part of the point of the film when I finally see it.

The problem I had with the third film- it didn't feel like the first movie to me. I'm at a point in my life where I think I can accept that these movies are all different (Thanks in part to MakeshiftPython).
  • chrisisall wrote: »

I concur.

Thanks for that tip- I will do as you say.
    I've only seen Revolutions once- when it came out. It will seem like an almost new movie for me.

Wow! I've only seen it a couple times since its release myself. It will be pretty fresh for me too when I revisit it. I'm planning to do a Matrix marathon myself.

This is what I've heard across all reviews, good or bad.

The problem I had with the third film- it didn't feel like the first movie to me. I'm at a point in my life where I think I can accept that these movies are all different (Thanks in part to MakeshiftPython).

Watching the first film now and I thought as I have before you have to do something different with each film. If I want a film like Matrix 1 I may as well just watch the first film again.

Revolutions has concepts that are intellectually interesting and even though the film has issues it still makes you think. If Matrix 4 makes me think I will be happy.

P. S. I highly recommend the commentaries to the Matrix Trilogy.
    The first two sequels definitely work better as one film. REVOLUTIONS is basically the climax that RELOADED was missing.
    Watching The Matrix there is so much predeterminism, everything plays out as it was designed to.

I love this movie.

Thoroughly enjoyed this rewatch...

Great track...

The first two sequels definitely work better as one film. REVOLUTIONS is basically the climax that RELOADED was missing.

Yeah, I conjure they thought an Empire Strikes Back ending was acceptable because, Empire Strikes Back. I actually never minded it myself.
    I really want them to expand on this story but I fear that sequels won't be greenlit due to horrid box office returns. It shouldn't have been released at Christmas to compete with Spiderman.
    I really want them to expand on this story but I fear that sequels won't be greenlit due to horrid box office returns. It shouldn't have been released at Christmas to compete with Spiderman.

If this one is all we get I'm still infinitely happier than I was without it.
    Plus, who knows- maybe Warner will look to the long run....

If this one is all we get I'm still infinitely happier than I was without it.
    Plus, who knows- maybe Warner will look to the long run....

Me too. I can watch Revolutions knowing that it isn't Neo and Trinitys demise. I felt that it brought them back in a logical way.
    Even without Spider-Man I don’t think a Matrix film was gonna be a hit. Those films were of a different time and culture
    Even without Spider-Man I don’t think a Matrix film was gonna be a hit. Those films were of a different time and culture

Agreed. I just need more from this franchise whether that be films, a tv series or novelization such as stories told in the interval between Revolutions and Resurrections
    Agreed. It was a game changer, but nothing lasts forever......
    The true testament of a film will be 20, 30, 50 years down the line. The Matrix will outlast the vacuous crap we get these days. The Matrix is a genre defining classic.
    Streaming on HBO Max likely didn’t help.
    The true testament of a film will be 20, 30, 50 years down the line. The Matrix will outlast the vacuous crap we get these days. The Matrix is a genre defining classic.

Like Metropolis, King Kong, 2001...
    edited December 2021 Posts: 8,022
    It’s lightning in a bottle for sure. I didn’t even sense a level of hype for RESURRECTIONS the way I felt it in 2003 for the first two sequels.

The Wachowskis were right that the story was finished, but I’m glad Lana had her creative say for RESURRECTIONS rather than some studio appointed hack.

Like Metropolis, King Kong, 2001...

Exactly, Things To Come, Blade Runner, Alien.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Yeah, I conjure they thought an Empire Strikes Back ending was acceptable because, Empire Strikes Back. I actually never minded it myself.

I always thought Reloaded's cliffhanger ending worked very well. It is a bit odd these days as I never follow up a watch of Reloaded with Revolutions, but then Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is the same way for me. Even though I don't like the follow up, the ending still strikes the perfect note.

It’s lightning in a bottle for sure. I didn’t even sense a level of hype for RESURRECTIONS the way I felt it in 2003 for the first two sequels.

The hype for those two sequels was huge back in 2003. It seems to me it was also kind of a novel idea at the time to release the two installments so close to each other, 6 months apart. Though I'm sure there have been other instances of that happening. I think Back to the Future 2 & 3 were the same.

Any fan of Sci Fi should watch this edited segment of Things to Come 1936

It's genius, this film influenced most of the Sci Fi movies you have seen.

NTTD borrowed from this film, you will know when you see it.