The Matrix (1999 - present)

1234568»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just watched Matrix Reloaded for the first time in years. Lots to enjoy here. Not much of it makes sense though. So Matrix Resurrections doesn't make sense.... tell me more. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,267
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Just watched Matrix Reloaded for the first time in years. Lots to enjoy here. Not much of it makes sense though. So Matrix Resurrections doesn't make sense.... tell me more. ;)

:) the fact it does not make sense is good. I have wrote thesis on these films, they are relevant.

P. S. I understand all the films.

1,2 and 4 are brilliant.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

:) the fact it does not make sense is good. I have wrote thesis on these films, they are relevant.

1,2 and 4 are brilliant.

3 is brilliant too... that is, the many action scenes and Zion battles never fail to get myadrenaline pumping. But it certainly is the ROTJ of the Matrix series. ;)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

1,2 and 4 are brilliant.

3 is brilliant too... that is, the many action scenes and Zion battles never fail to get my adrenaline pumping. But it certainly is the ROTJ of the Matrix series. ;)
    I'll be watching Revolutions soon also as a prelude to getting Resurrections on blu ray. I only saw it once in the theatre when it was released. My memory of it is a LOOOOOOOONG underground battle followed by the two main characters dying. But this time I can enjoy it knowing that's not the end...
    edited February 2022 Posts: 17,687
    Okay, I just finished watching Revolutions.
    This time I liked it.
    "Will we ever see him again?"
    "I suspect so... someday"
    Now I'm ready for resurrections again. So ready. :)>-
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've warmed to Revolutions quite a lot over the years. Much like DAD, I just try to focus on my subjective highlights throughout and shut out the rest. Resurrections, however, will be tough for me to willingly revisit.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've warmed to Revolutions quite a lot over the years. Much like DAD, I just try to focus on my subjective highlights throughout and shut out the rest. Resurrections, however, will be tough for me to willingly revisit.

Ha ha, Resurrections was the missing piece for me. Now I can love it all & shut out nothing!
    edited February 2022 Posts: 40,454

Ha ha, Resurrections was the missing piece for me. Now I can love it all & shut out nothing!

I never thought Revolutions would be the definitive end I wanted for the series but after this new one, I suppose it is. At least you loved it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

None of the sequels make much sense but at least Reloaded has great action scenes, a great soundtrack and a great villain.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Just picked up Resurrections for a one night rental. It'll be interesting to see how this viewing will go with subtitles and a hopeful lack of distractions. My theater viewing was good, but the more I read negative reviews and concerns, the more I was starting to agree.
    I wish I was even OK with the film but I was pretty disappointed in it across the board. It handled the meta aspects well but in terms of being visionary or offering action and spectacle on the same levels of the trilogy, it failed for me.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    To be fair to REVOLUTIONS, it was never meant anymore thought provoking or have big revelations/twists because that was all done and done in RELOADED. That’s why I always look at the two as one big film, as REVOLUTIONS feels more like the climax that RELOADED sets up. It’s not like other third parts in trilogies that can still work as their own films like RETURN OF THE JEDI.
    To be fair to REVOLUTIONS, it was never meant anymore thought provoking or have big revelations/twists because that was all done and done in RELOADED. That’s why I always look at the two as one big film, as REVOLUTIONS feels more like the climax that RELOADED sets up. It’s not like other third parts in trilogies that can still work as their own films like RETURN OF THE JEDI.

It begs the question of why they'd opt to do a fourth, then, if there really wasn't anything to say. It all kinda feels unnecessary after all this time. Maybe it's just me though. I'm glad others loved it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

It begs the question of why they'd opt to do a fourth, then, if there really wasn't anything to say. It all kinda feels unnecessary after all this time. Maybe it's just me though. I'm glad others loved it.

To watch Revolutions and know that Neo and Trinity don't really end up dying
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    I've given the four movies as I recall 10, 8, 7, 9.

Reloaded... was like a collection of great action scenes strung together but so fast and relentlessly that it kind of got old fairly quickly. They work quite well on their own though, many of them.

Revolutions I felt was fairly weak but it did have a few good moments.

Resurrections... I loved. I know that's not a very popular opinion but I thought it was a fun, varied, interesting movie that was the first one I truly enjoyed since the original.

I guess we're all different :)

To watch Revolutions and know that Neo and Trinity don't really end up dying

Despite the fact they clearly died in Revolutions, heroically so, and this was an opportunity to shoehorn in their return for a sequel that didn't really bring anything to the table. It's just odd to me. We don't even get to enjoy that Neo/Trinity dynamic until the film's nearly over.

I'm only so harsh about this fourth one because of how insanely excited I was for it and how desperately I wanted it to succeed and wow me.
    hoppimike wrote: »
    I've given the four movies as I recall 10, 8, 7, 9.

Reloaded... was like a collection of great action scenes strung together but so fast and relentlessly that it kind of got old fairly quickly. They work quite well on their own though, many of them.

Revolutions I felt was fairly weak but it did have a few good moments.

Resurrections... I loved. I know that's not a very popular opinion but I thought it was a fun, varied, interesting movie that was the first one I truly enjoyed since the original.

I guess we're all different :)

Before this last one came out, my ratings of the first 3 were 10, 8, 4. Now that I've seen the 4th one twice, my ratings are 10, 8, 8, 9.5. Boy did I need this last movie. No more sequels are planned, and that's just fine with me. Resurrections brought it full circle. I love how it ended. The only reasons I don't give Resurrections a 10 is that Hugo Weaving couldn't be in it due to scheduling issues, and Yuen Woo Ping is basically retired (give him a break; he's 77 years old now!).
    It also blows me away That Sati in Resurrections is the little girl from Reloaded.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 4,402
    Second watch. I really enjoyed it more so than when I had seen it inthe theater. It's not particularly the story or direction that I would have headed, but I found it to be a serviceable and satisfying conclusion to the series that for 18 years had an ending that always ticked me off. I think thats why I liked it. However, the action was definitely lacking. There was no scene, apart from the opening chase that mirrored the first film that really blew me away.
    Second watch. I really enjoyed it more so than when I had seen it inthe theater. It's not particularly the story or direction that I would have headed, but I found it to be a serviceable and satisfying conclusion to the series that for 18 years had an ending that always ticked me off. I think thats why I liked it. However, the action was definitely lacking. There was no scene, apart from the opening chase that mirrored the first film that really blew me away.

Agreed- some of the FX were nice, but as an action film it pales beside the first one. But as a romance it's excellent!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 4 Posts: 23,267
    ‘Matrix 5’ in the Works With Drew Goddard as Director, Lana Wachowski as Executive Producer
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/matrix-5-lana-wachowski-executive-producing-1235959174/
    As a fan of Drew Goddard I think this may end up being good.

I do like a lot of Matrix 4 though it does have issues.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am always game for more Matrix. The series has a lot of potential left, depending on what story they are going to tell.