The Crazy Cat Person Thread

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Here's one of my cats. Dressed in his Bela Lugosi costume.

Glowing eyes and a proper Dracula widow's peak! What a gorgeous lad.

Thanks, @Agent_99. He's my little buddy.
    Here's one of my cats. Dressed in his Bela Lugosi costume.
    He has a better chance of being cast as Bond than I do as he's originally from the U.K.

245155575_4538265262899623_453136245991116066_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=GP74RKBtVGcAX-A-7z9&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=ae4aa02fb19155dcec427eb090cd43a9&oe=6195A0E1

He could be the next Bond villain, Count Fluffula. ;)

Haha!

Or maybe even Count Konrad von Glöda with those brilliant glowing eyes of his! :)

Even better!

That one didn't come to me until later. Sometimes there's a delayed reaction in my mind! :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I have a brother who is allergic to cats, but every twentieth cat or so is also allergic to humans.
    If Boysie Oakes were a cat:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just went into the kitchen where one of our two cats, Zoe, was resting on a sheepskin. I asked, "Everything ok?"...and I swear she looked at me as if she were saying, "Everything but the interruption." :-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I just went into the kitchen where one of our two cats, Zoe, was resting on a sheepskin. I asked, "Everything ok?"...and I swear she looked at me as if she were saying, "Everything but the interruption." :-)

She's been watching too many Bond-films...

We got ourselves a kitten two weeks ago. She's like Puss in Boots, not only in the way she looks (yes, reddish-brown, big eyes, except the hat and the sabre).

Does your cat look anything like this, @j_w_pepper? If so, I'd be worried.

51kwg1whysL._SY445_SX342_.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

She's been watching too many Bond-films...

We got ourselves a kitten two weeks ago. She's like Puss in Boots, not only in the way she looks (yes, reddish-brown, big eyes, except the hat and the sabre).

Hey, lovely, @CommanderRoss! While I hope that my cats have a long life, the downside of that is that you can adopt a kitten so seldom...since I think there is a limit to how many cats one should have. Even our two females (no sisters, but from the same shelter and about the same age and now five years old) do not seem to be the best friends. I think either of them would have been happy as a single cat with us as well.

And here she is on that sheepskin tonight. I'd love to see yours as well, I love kittens!
    zoe2310317vdqq.jpg

@Dragonpol, see my photo above. No, she doesn't look like Blofeld's cat. Neither does the other one, she looks more like the tiger in OP...though the stripes are red-in-red and she's quite delicate, also compared to Zoe (as pictured).

@Dragonpol, see my photo above. No, she doesn't look like Blofeld's cat. Neither does the other one, she looks more like the tiger in OP...though the stripes are red-in-red and she's quite delicate, also compared to Zoe (as pictured).

Oh, she's lovely. A tabby like one of my old cats, Kitty. You can see her and another old cat of mine, Lucy, in the YouTube video I posted in the OP of this thread.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,657
    Just looking again at your OP (no, not Octopussy), I was obviously the first one to pick up on it and post a photo of our two sweeties at the time then (2018). Had forgotten about it.

I can't tell from your video, but was (or still is, I'd hope so) Kitty three-coloured (black, red and white) or just two-coloured (black - though in different shades - and white)? Zoe is definitely three-coloured (with not a lot of red, but quite noticeable) which should betray her to anyone in the know as a female. I trust you know this, but many won't, that the colour information (except the distribution of white areas) of a cat is transferred on an X chromosome, and a female has two of those with one causing "red" and the other "black" spots, but there is no tomcat (barring genetical problems) that has three colors since males obviously do not have two X chromosomes. I find that totally fascinating, especially having had only totally black, black (including grey)-and-a-bit-of-white, or white-and-black cats before the present two.

Our second one definitely has the red gene on both of her X chromosomes, see her picture on my first posting on page 1 of this thread.

PS: I just found we had almost exactly the same conversation on page four of this thread. Progressive amnesia?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Just looking again at your OP (no, not Octopussy), I was obviously the first one to pick up on it and post a photo of our two sweeties at the time then (2018). Had forgotten about it.

I can't tell from your video, but was (or still is, I'd hope so) Kitty three-coloured (black, red and white) or just two-coloured (black - though in different shades - and white)? Zoe is definitely three-coloured (with not a lot of red, but quite noticeable) which should betray her to anyone in the know as a female. I trust you know this, but many won't, that the colour information (except the distribution of white areas) of a cat is transferred on an X chromosome, and a female has two of those with one causing "red" and the other "black" spots, but there is no tomcat (barring genetical problems) that has three colors since males obviously do not have two X chromosomes. I find that totally fascinating, especially having had only totally black, black (including grey)-and-a-bit-of-white, or white-and-black cats before the present two.

Our second one definitely has the red gene on both of her X chromosomes, see her picture on my first posting on page 1 of this thread.

PS: I just found we had almost exactly the same conversation on page four of this thread. Progressive amnesia?

Call it progressive amnesia, call it lasting love for the subject. It's not like we haven't come back to the same discussions on Bond before...

I'm not sure how to incorporate instagram pictures here, but a link to our little lady will work hopefully:

Hey, @CommanderRoss, she's really cute! (And now I notice that we also share a certain affinity for model railroads as well.) I would have put a like on it but I made it a point not to be registered on Instagram and the other "social" networks except LinkedIn from my working days.
    Hey, @CommanderRoss, she's really cute! (And now I notice that we also share a certain affinity for model railroads as well.) I would have put a like on it but I made it a point not to be registered on Instagram and the other "social" networks except LinkedIn from my working days.

Thanks! She's cute, and a handfull, but so much fun!

Cool! Another model realroader. I actually didn't realise I put anything on insta concearning that. I've decided to go Austrian, as I hope to build a landscape someday and the Dutch ones are, well, flat. And I have fond memories of early nineties bright orange locomotives.
    I even run a website about model trains, allthough I really don't get much time doing anything with it as the companies take too much time. But you can check it out if you want, modeltreinhobby.nl, and I've got a youtube channel as well, where I post films of model trains etc. whenever I get the chance to make one.

I'm really one of those standard planes, trains and automobiles nerds I'm afraid ;-)
    edited November 2023 Posts: 17,728

Yes, Kitty had three colours too. Yellowy orange, black and white though no red shade. She was a tabby and had the same kind of markings as your cat with the tell-tale inverted M on her head that all tabby cats have. Sadly Kitty is no longer with us and I just have my black and white cat Millie now. Millie is definitely the biggest character of a cat I've ever had and one of the most adventurous too. I must say that I didn't know that about cats and chromosomes though I've never been great at science. I guess it's OK to have amnesia about an online conversation from 5 years ago. I sometimes forget what happened 5 minutes ago. 8-}
    Hey, @CommanderRoss, check your inbox.

Yes, Kitty had three colours too. Yellowy orange, black and white though no red shade. She was a tabby and had the same kind of markings as your cat with the tell-tale inverted M on her head that all tabby cats have. Sadly Kitty is no longer with us and I just have my black and white cat Millie now. Millie is definitely the biggest character of a cat I've ever had and one of the most adventurous too. I must say that I didn't know that about cats and chromosomes though I've never been great at science. I guess it's OK to have amnesia about an online conversation from 5 years ago. I sometimes forget what happened 5 minutes ago. 8-}

Thanks, @Dragonpol, I'm sorry that Kitty is no longer around. Our two girls (see the first posting after your OP, and page four) are now six years-plus old and have been with us for five and a half. Except that the little red one gets totally panicky when we want to take her to the vet (and we haven't managed to do so for over three years because of that), everything is fine. I hope we'll have them for at least another ten years, equivalent to the last two. And then we'd probably go to the shelter and get the next one(s) immediately. The brackets on "one(s)" owing to our impression that some cats may actually be happier without the companion that the shelters are pressuring you to accept. Our two girls aren't the greatest friends, though without major casualties.

Thanks! She's cute, and a handfull, but so much fun!

Cool! Another model realroader. I actually didn't realise I put anything on insta concearning that. I've decided to go Austrian, as I hope to build a landscape someday and the Dutch ones are, well, flat. And I have fond memories of early nineties bright orange locomotives.
    I even run a website about model trains, allthough I really don't get much time doing anything with it as the companies take too much time. But you can check it out if you want, modeltreinhobby.nl, and I've got a youtube channel as well, where I post films of model trains etc. whenever I get the chance to make one.

I'm really one of those standard planes, trains and automobiles nerds I'm afraid ;-)

Off topic, but I love trains. Real ones, model ones, etc. We have LGBs in my family. My father bought it in the early 80s, now my son and his cousins make for three generations enjoying it. Maybe we should start a thread about trains.

Back on topic, I bought a book about cats' communication for my wife's birthday. We've been owning Domino for eight years now and we still don't know what he wants or why he behaves like he does sometimes.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Back on topic, I bought a book about cats' communication for my wife's birthday. We've been owning Domino for eight years now and we still don't know what he wants or why he behaves like he does sometimes.
    Once you do find out, you'll probably have to realize he's really a dog.

edited November 2023 Posts: 17,728
    "Maybe she should have called the cat Pussy Galore." / "Whatever, whatever."

edited December 2023 Posts: 17,728
    No, it's not a bottle of Lucozade.

whj2l939go2a1.jpg
    Our cat Henna (the orange one) has recently had an incontinence problem. The vet says it may be due to a bladder infection...but then, it is virtually impossible to administer any medication to her (she is very cuddly, but gets absolutely panicked when you try to constrain her, and the vet had to sedate her before he could start the examination).

So every few days, she pees on the tiles in the parlour (fortunately not on carpets). For the time being, we now call her either Pissy Galore or Pissy Suzuki.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 17,728
    Those are some good Bond inspired names. :))

That reminds me that my sister-in-law recently told me that her cat Lucy (see first cat in the video in the OP) used to pee in clients' computers all the time and so she threw her out. She then came over to live with us for years instead (as we had a cat here already) until her death from old age on 10 March 2017.
    What every cat lover really wants for Christmas:

Oh that reminds me, I was in Cuba years ago, at this place called Maria La Gorda. They have a hotel there for diving and snorkling, in the middle of this nature's reserve. Next to having fresh fish every day, the place was crowded by cats. If you had breakfast, lunch or dinner, you'd be surrounded by cats. There was a German lady (tourist) who told everyone to not feed them, they'd be begging all the time. After half a day, who was the first to feed them? Yes. The same lady.
    Just saw this and it reminds me of my old cat Kitty who did exactly the same thing when she first saw the snow. It must be a "cat" thing then!

Just saw this and it reminds me of my old cat Kitty who did exactly the same thing when she first saw the snow. It must be a "cat" thing then!

Our kitten behaved just like that having just gotten a bigger litter box. It means they love it. Don't understand why the video is called 'stupid orange cat'. The cat clearly has a better understanding of what fun is than the owner.

(btw the litterbox happyness wasn't too well received by me, as it meant the litter was flying all over the place. Nut I'm happy she's happy with it).