How should Bond die, if at all?

Comments

Eventually, I think this film will be non-canon. And the death will be undone. NTTD is of course the “film” I am referring to. Shock value flash in the pan that it is.
    patb wrote: »

So NTTD did right then?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 4,599
    It's perhaps symbolic of our wider culture that writers now have a choice of someone saying their last words to their loved ones via radio than face to face. Clearly, in terms of emotion, it does not have the same impact. Imagine how SF would have ended if M and Bond were talking on the radio rather than looking into each other's eyes (or OHMSS). Plus, as mentioned in the video, the emotional stakes are in proportion to the relationship. So, again, with SF, M has been a huge character plus there was huge warmth with the actress. With OHMSS , you had the drama of the marriage to have the impact of how important this was to Bond. Plus, as mentioned re Spock, you get a body and, therefore, a proper sending off rather than vaporisation and a slugg of scotch. Ironically, re Spock, they use the glass barrier to add to the drama but with NTTD, they had the barrier of the nanobots. A death scene where Bond was with Mads but could not touch her would have had potential IMHO
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Eventually, I think this film will be non-canon. And the death will be undone. NTTD is of course the “film” I am referring to. Shock value flash in the pan that it is.

It’ll never be non-canon.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

If only because there isn't really such a thing as canon for Bond.

Well, I think there is, and it’s the Fleming estate and EON that are responsible for it. Whatever they put out goes.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond is dead. Long live OO7!

Bond is dead, long live Bond.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Better still. James Bond Will Return.
    Exactly.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Better still. James Bond Will Return.
    Exactly.

Yes, E's just resting

edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Not everyone is going to understand stories about a fictional character, and that's okay too.
    Craig's Bond is not resting, he's dead. But he's just one iteration. I like to think of it as a bunch of people sitting around a campfire telling Bond stories. One person's story has the Orient Express, one person's story has an ice palace, and one person's story has the character's death. Everyone reacts to the story and feels what they feel, and then they're excited for the next Bond story to be heard around the campfire.

To anyone who feels the need to try and tie every single Bond story as the same iteration of Bond, I honestly feel sorry for you. It's an impossible task, and it must cause a lot of stress. How could he have possibly gotten started in the early fifties as a 00, and is continuing on nearly seventy years later?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 357
    Not everyone is going to understand stories about a fictional character, and that's okay too.
    Craig's Bond is not resting, he's dead. But he's just one iteration. I like to think of it as a bunch of people sitting around a campfire telling Bond stories. One person's story has the Orient Express, one person's story has an ice palace, and one person's story has the character's death. Everyone reacts to the story and feels what they feel, and then they're excited for the next Bond story to be heard around the campfire.
    Nicely put

To anyone who feels the need to try and tie every single Bond story as the same iteration of Bond, I honestly feel sorry for you. It's an impossible task, and it must cause a lot of stress. How could he have possibly gotten started in the early fifties as a 00, and is continuing on nearly seventy years later?

No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 13,879
    The fans who have fun tying every incarnation together into one continuity purposely ignore the time period and change of faces, focusing on the events and references in dialogue. Some have come very close to successfully tying it all seamlessly, and it's all in the name of fun. Tying in the Craig era is really where things get complicated, what with the Vesper/Madeleine arc.

Stressing out over it though - stoopid! 8-}
    It’s true, and it’s how my theory that Connery Bond is Craig Bond’s dad came about. ;)
    edited November 2021 Posts: 357
    It’s true, and it’s how my theory that Connery Bond is Craig Bond’s dad came about. ;)

The way Harry Palmer turned out to be Austin Powers dad?

hornets-raincoat-2.jpg
    Seve wrote: »

The way Harry Palmer turned out to be Austin Powers dad?

url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhornetskensington.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F03%2F14%2Fhappy-birthday-sir-michael%2F&psig=AOvVaw0cAKPjZmbzUyuemJDYhDZr&ust=1636338379770000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAgQjRxqFwoTCMDX0dSZhfQCFQAAAAAdAAAAABA6

Let’s say, yes. :P

It certainly explains how Craig ended up with the car from Goldfinger!

Let’s say, yes. :P

It certainly explains how Craig ended up with the car from Goldfinger!

Interesting concept, perhaps we'll see the equivalent of Moore's son in a vintage Lotus next?

(Lazenby's son in the later model Aston might be too much to hope for?)

• TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    shot dead, post mission; no killer ever identified; possibly mi6 as Bond knew too much?
    Heart attack?
    Bathos plus pathos if at all.
    NO mawkish sentimental bollox monologue about the actor's tenure projected onto the character, though ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    possibly mi6 as Bond knew too much?

Spot on.
  • To anyone who feels the need to try and tie every single Bond story as the same iteration of Bond, I honestly feel sorry for you. It's an impossible task, and it must cause a lot of stress. How could he have possibly gotten started in the early fifties as a 00, and is continuing on nearly seventy years later?

It does take a suspension of disbelief to imagine it's all the same character, but it's no stress at all Nick. It's fun to see the little grave-visiting, shoe-sniffing scenes along the way. It was part of the pleasure of Bond movies for me, that little knowing wink to the audience that it's the same man all over the years. It made the Bond films unique in that way.
    They've properly cocked it up now, obviously, but it was fun while it lasted.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,009

Well, I think there is, and it’s the Fleming estate and EON that are responsible for it. Whatever they put out goes.

What I meant by that is there's numerous ways of interpreting the chronology to suit one's own view of Bond. Connery through Brosnan could be the exact same man. They could all be separate, rebooted versions of the characters who just happened to share the same experiences (explaining the differences in tone between eras but also the way they reference each other). The same goes for the Craig era, albeit now more bluntly. You can take it or leave it. There's no right answer for Bond.

The literary Bond is a different matter.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 721
    Whether Connery or Moore ... Dalton or Brosnan ... or Lazenby or Craig, it's always James Bond ... and not "James Bond" at the same time. That's just the paradox I accept ...

PS And yes, I have no idea what that means either ... haha.
    Feyador wrote: »
    PS And yes, I have no idea what that means either ... haha.

To paraphrase a famous line....

It means everything and nothing. ;)
  • possibly mi6 as Bond knew too much?

Spot on.

A little too similar to... what was done several decades ago:
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 721

Spot on.

Oh, very nice, but already done perfectly the first time ... but the potential parallels between the McGoohan & Craig characters feel tantalizing real. And Fiennes' M, in NTTD, already feels like a potential "No. 2" figure.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Imagine the brainpain trying to make it all fit if EON had pursued the idea of Connery playing Kincaid in SF...😲
    So true... I think even the most inventive chronology solutions have to remove Skyfall from the equation.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator

Spot on.

So who was #1?
    The Butler.