How should Bond die, if at all?

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    The Butler.

That was the inference, wasn’t it?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Better still. James Bond Will Return.

until they go wrong.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    possibly mi6 as Bond knew too much?

Spot on.

A little too similar to... what was done several decades ago:

So who was #1?

"YOU ARE...Number 6."
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 3,564
    Watch the final episode.
    McGoohan's character pulls the ape mask (much like the one used by Roger Moore in OP?) off a character he believes to be Number 1 -- and is confronted (VERY briefly!) by his own face. The inference is that we are all (or should be, at any rate) our own Number 1. [/spoiler}
    I always thought the Butler did it. I mean, he's the only Village character we see in almost every episode.
  • Gerard wrote: »
    I always thought the Butler did it. I mean, he's the only Village character we see in almost every episode.

You're being too logical. ;)
  • GustavGravesGustavGraves Ukraine
    edited January 2022 Posts: 15
    He should never really die.
    At least he should always return.
    Bond - is an archetype fantasy that transcends mere limitations of time or doom.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    Bond - is an archetype fantasy that transcends mere limitations of time or doom.

Agreed, he should never die
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Well then, you'll be very pleased when the next film comes out.
    How about a series of films with the new Bond taken from the very beginning ? From birth, through childhood, losing his parents, helped by his Auntie C...work through the Young Bond books, into WWII, and then into the 1950s. Insert the continuation novels which were written to fit into Fleming's timeline, get in Colonel Sun, then all the Gardners and Bensons and the other, modern-era continuation novels. Selecting an actor to portray Bond always is tricky but this would be something calling for casting Infant Bond, Child Bond, Young Bond, Wartime Bond, new agent Bond, Bond-in-his-Prime, Mature Bond. Makes for 7 actors, though Bond-in-his-Prime could segue into Mature Bond, in a natural, real, passage of time way. Of course, with Amazon Prime in the ownership and well-funded, we could have a new film - or streaming show for Infant, Child, Young and Wartime Bonds - every, what, 6 months or so ? Good heavens that would be exhausting. It's exhausting just trying to type this joking post up...
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Let's see...no.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Since62 wrote: »
    How about a series of films with the new Bond taken from the very beginning ? From birth, through childhood, losing his parents, helped by his Auntie C...work through the Young Bond books, into WWII, and then into the 1950s. Insert the continuation novels which were written to fit into Fleming's timeline, get in Colonel Sun, then all the Gardners and Bensons and the other, modern-era continuation novels. Selecting an actor to portray Bond always is tricky but this would be something calling for casting Infant Bond, Child Bond, Young Bond, Wartime Bond, new agent Bond, Bond-in-his-Prime, Mature Bond. Makes for 7 actors, though Bond-in-his-Prime could segue into Mature Bond, in a natural, real, passage of time way. Of course, with Amazon Prime in the ownership and well-funded, we could have a new film - or streaming show for Infant, Child, Young and Wartime Bonds - every, what, 6 months or so ? Good heavens that would be exhausting. It's exhausting just trying to type this joking post up...

The Seven Ages of Bond. It would be nice to get Bond as a foetus fitted in as well. Might as well go the full hog. It all reminds me of this:

Ha ! The To-Do List is especially funny to me ! And, thanks for understanding that what I wrote is a joke...which I explicitly stated in the post, but still...
    Ha ! The To-Do List is especially funny to me ! And, thanks for understanding that what I wrote is a joke...which I explicitly stated in the post, but still...

Yes, Robin Cooper (played by Robert Popper) is a very funny character and there are plenty more silly phonecalls like that one by him on YouTube. :)
    Fetus-Bond would be all action, kicking and punching...followed by some deep DAD-keep-yourself-sane-and-help-you-escape-Meditation
    How's this for how Bond could move on, so to speak: Succeeds in the mission, only to have his own folks accidentally send him off. I see it as, Bond succeeds in killing a mad scientist, and heads away from the mad scientist's lair in a boat. The Navy flies a plane over and captures the large balloon sent up by Bond. But, once airborne, the vest on Bond rips and he falls into the sea, right on top of a giant squid, which gets so annoyed it flings Bond onto a burning Russian boat with General Gogol - or his lookalike. Bond jumps ship and swims to shore, where a Japanese pearl diver saves him. Her husband is annoyed and wants to give Bond a pearl necklace but his wife stops him. She books passage for Bond on a large cruise ship but after dinner in his quarters the waiters try to kill him with a surprise cake - not on fire, but loaded with sugar and cholesterol. Bond refers them to his doctor, who is none too pleased with them, none too pleased at all and demands they report to Shrublands for retraining. The ship sends a lady to smooth things over and she kicks Bond in the shin accidentally, but so hard he passes out, and he hits his head on a coffee table while falling. He awakens and a lady doctor is there, whose name is Prissy Gabor but Bond hears it differently - still dazed and amazed is he - that he proclaims, "I must be dreaming.,,again." She gets him onto a helicopter to get to shore for treatment with another passenger, a bald man in a wheelchair with a white fluffy cat. This bald guy is exceedingly pissed at Bond because Bond is in no mood to chat, and he pushes Bond out. Bond catches the landing bar, and rides the rest of the way holding on. Bond gets to the hospital, gets treated, but cannot pay the charges, and the hospital tosses him out. A local tennis player with a 3-wheeled motorcycle "cab" gives Bond a lift to the British Embassy, where he has to prove his identity by saying his name, last name first. They are satisfied and let him in. They offer him a meal but it is awful - red wine with fish - and Bond shoots at a gasline, causing an explosion, so he can leave quickly. He takes off for parts unknown, saying, "That's it ! I am leaving and I shall NOT return !"
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire

I knew it was a joke, Since, but I didn't want to waste the one word response - which was also a joke. Sorry, mate.
    As Homer would say: Doh ! Many apologies for missing it.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 17,804
    mtm wrote: »

I guess they mean the death of the James Bond film series as well as the character given his date of birth is listed as 1962?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    They’ll get over it.
    They’ll get over it.

It'll take a long while, but yes, hopefully.
    I liked NTTD and I’ve been over his death for months. It’s weird others still dwell on the “injustice” of his death. There’s even Twitter accounts dedicated to slamming the film for killing Bond.

Almost makes me think they deserved to see Bond get killed on film.
    I liked NTTD and I’ve been over his death for months. It’s weird others still dwell on the “injustice” of his death. There’s even Twitter accounts dedicated to slamming the film for killing Bond.

Well said...

I'm not in mourning and I don't do Twitter, but I'm still of the opinion that killing off James Bond, then saying he'll be back later in the same film was ridiculous.

I'm not in mourning and I don't do Twitter, but I'm still of the opinion that killing off James Bond, then saying he'll be back later in the same film was ridiculous.

Well it’s not like they’re lying,
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

James Bond will return in GOD WILL PAY
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 12,837
    It’s weird others still dwell on the “injustice” of his death. There’s even Twitter accounts dedicated to slamming the film for killing Bond.

I have a theory about this. I reckon with any fanbase, of anything, you get some emotionally stunted types who attach their entire worldview and mental state to their love of that thing. Fans of film franchises, singers, bands, football teams, all the same. You get them everywhere. So then when it doesn’t go their way, when there’s a film they don’t like, or their favourite singer tweets something that ruins the image they had of them, or their team loses, or their favourite fictional character to project themselves into is played by a 5ft 11 blonde guy who dies at the end, they don’t have the emotional capacity to cope with it. So, they end up getting very very angry. And I don’t just mean “fuming that my team has lost” or “really disappointed in the new Bond film” angry. I mean, “dedicate an entire twitter account to crying about it” angry. Best to just ignore them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It’s weird others still dwell on the “injustice” of his death. There’s even Twitter accounts dedicated to slamming the film for killing Bond.

I have a theory about this. I reckon with any fanbase, of anything, you get some emotionally stunted types who attach their entire worldview and mental state to their love of that thing. Fans of film franchises, singers, bands, football teams, all the same. You get them everywhere. So then when it doesn’t go their way, when there’s a film they don’t like, or their favourite singer tweets something that ruins the image they had of them, or their team loses, or their favourite fictional character to project themselves into is played by a 5ft 11 blonde guy who dies at the end, they don’t have the emotional capacity to cope with it. So, they end up getting very very angry. And I don’t just mean “fuming that my team has lost” or “really disappointed in the new Bond film” angry. I mean, “dedicate an entire twitter account to crying about it” angry. Best to just ignore them.

Thank you @thelivingroyale ...
    edited March 2022 Posts: 8,025
    It’s even worse with Star Wars fandom.