How should Bond die, if at all?

Comments

With these words on his lips, like "Rosebud" on the lips of Citizen Kane as he passes: "Trench. Sylvia Trench."
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357
    shamanimal wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If I was ever to find out that Bond is killed off in a film (and I will ask my friends across the pond before the next film's US release if this is the case) I will not patronize it. Ambiguous, or false deaths (ala the novel YOLT or SF) I'm fine with.

I agree.
    If they kill him then bring him back to life in a 'reboot' then they'll just make a mockery of the whole franchise. They'll ruin it.

I disagree personally. It's not like they've ever cared about continuity. Giving him a definitive ending like him dying then starting again with the next actor would be fine imo.

I think it's more likely now than ever. Craig's Bond had a clear beginning and they've made sure to point out how everything since has been part of the same story. Makes sense to give that story an end. And how else do you end it at this point? He can't just retire again and I can't see them ending it with him back at MI6 full time, especially since that'd mean him replacing (in universe, obviously she's not going to take over as the hero of the films) the new black female 007. Imagine the outrage if they introduced her only to kill her off or have her quit to make way for Bond coming back.

Not sure if they'll actually have the bottle to kill him off though. I'm thinking big explosion, funeral scene, then a shot of him watching from a distance (or a little hint that he's alive). It is technically a very similar ending to SP, him going into retirement, but everyone thinking he's dead means that he can actually stay there this time. Then reboot with the next actor. I think the Craig era is going to be its own seperate, closed off thing.

Now we know how it really turned out...

The Daniel Craig era has come to an end and we can reflect on how James Bond actually died on screen.

After resigning in his first outing as Bond, Daniel Craig's incarnation subsequently went rogue, nearly died after becoming the victim of friendly fire, went AWOL, then retired, before finally being killed off at the climax of his fifth outing in the role. However as we now know, such was the popularity of NTTD and the emotional outcry over Craig-Bond's death, that the Producers and Actor eventually had to bow to public pressure and bring him back. So began a sequence of films, in each of which James Bond died at the end, which created a wave of popularity for the franchise not seen since Bond's heyday in the 1960's. Daniel Craig became known as "The Phoenix Bond" and viewers around the globe were on the edge of their seats waiting to see how he would be despatched next. In the end he appeared in more Bond movies than Connery and Moore combined, setting a mark that will surely never be surpassed.

Bond 26 - Powderball (aka Bond's Eagle)

Not only James Bond, 007, but also 006, Alec Trevelyan is brought back from beyond the grave for this one. While on a mission in Spain, Bond discovers that 006 is a double agent and tries to shoot him from behind, but when 008, Patrick Harper, who is unaware of 006s treachery, sees what Bond is up to, he shoots him instead, before Bond can finish the job.

mqdefault.jpg

Live & Let Layer Cake

After penetrating and destroying a complex, many levelled, criminal organisation, called SPECTRE, headed by Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Vin Diesel, in an Oscar winning performance), Bond and his MI6 office colleagues assemble for a celebratory lunch at the Stoke Park Country Club. However, Bond declines their offer to become the next "M" and follows through on his initial plan to retire. With Tracey on his arm, he exits the club, but is shot by the jilted yet apologetic Vesper. Bond collapses, bleeding out on the steps.

uQn6sRK.jpg

Queen Kira

Bond tracks Queen Kira (Keira Knightley), who plans to restore absolute monarchy, to her secluded island lair of Albion. Disguised as John Ballard, a monk, he penetrates her secret base, located in a disused Monastery, but her henchmen discover his true identity and Bond is executed by hanging, drawing and quartering. The manner of his death was so bloody and horrific that it deeply shocked the censors, resulting in the first ever R18 rating for a Bond movie.

7c6023d60cdf8283726dfa8c71f77d75.jpg

Quantum of Perdition

Late one night, cloaked by darkness and rain, Francisco Scaramanga (Benicio Del Toro) ambushes and kills M's bodyguards with a Ceska Zbrojovka Scorpion EV03 submachine gun, before walking up to M, who accepts his fate and states, "I'm glad it's you," as Scaramanga shoots him at point-blank range. With no further reason to protect Bond, Bill Tanner reveals his location, after making Scaramanga promise to end the feud. Scaramanga goes to the hotel where Bond is hiding and kills him in the bathtub, thus avenging "Red" Grant and Rosa Klebb's deaths.

75329139743c297fdc9deea27e2fc69e.jpg

The Power Of 007

James Bond leads a violent raid on SPECTRE's latest secret lair, in an old African diamond mine, which results in the death of Colonel Breyten (#2) (Arnold Vosloo) at the hands of an enraged villager. Bond threatens to shoot Elias Mlungisi (#3) (Delroy Lindo), the local director of operations, only to be confronted by Brofeld himself (Christoph Waltz returning for his third appearance). They fight, and Brofeld easily beats his childhood enemy. A vindictive Bond is still bent on killing him with a hidden pistol, but an arriving henchman, Gideon Duma (Idris Elba), dispatches the secret agent with a cricket bat before he can fire.

tumblr_inline_p67p4fBGXO1qdawwj_540.png

A Fate Worse Than Death (aka James Bond Tomb Raider)

Returning to the tomb, Lara Croft (Angelina Jolie) manipulates time to save James Bond and stab Manfred Powell, leader of the Illuminati.

lara-croft-tomb-raider-2001-angelina-jolie-17.jpg

Archfiend

James Bond is in Moscow posing as an academic for a conference on Joseph Stalin. Bond and Zinaida Rapava (Yekaterina Rednikova) begin their journey but fall foul of a road trap which stops the car. As they review their predicament, a man watches them from a nearby hill. Bond is convinced the man is Josef, Stalin's son. Bond begins to expose the corruption of the people who want Josef to rule over Russia with the same brutality as his father. Vladimir Mamantov's henchmen interrupt him, kicking and beating him to the ground. From above the crowd, Zinaida draws her father's Makarov and kills Bond.

hu9ydrs2bhq1ef0irfyi.jpg

Kiss & Kill

Undercover secret agent James Bond poses as a lonely heart to entice a confession from a woman (Rosie Rowell) that MI6 believe murdered the President of Maldavia. Bond finds himself becoming attracted to his quarry and ultimately doubting whether she could have killed the President. His own relationship with one of his supervising officers clouds his judgment and it is only a matter of time before the truth comes out and she poisons him.

s-l400.jpg

Sword of Honour 2.0

James Bond seeks purpose in the British Secret Service following his shattering divorce from Vesper Lynd (Megan Dodds). However, the ups and downs of counter-intelligence life at the height of the second Cold War prove too much for James, especially when he renews his acquaintance with his ex-wife. Ultimately he begins to find his sense of duty tested to the limit by the strength of his renewed relationship with Vesper and commits suicide.

51W5Vm9abAL.jpg

Wrath Of Bond (aka Vengeance)

Daniel Craig - “Bond is a character, who, on face value, seems to be very strong and very in control of his destiny. Like all the guys in the 00 section, he believes in this job because he believes in Britain. He believes some action has to be taken. Bond is someone who has always dealt with life like a bull in a china shop. He just dives in headfirst and deals with the consequences later. Bond is very gung ho, but as the movie goes on, he suffers because of the terrible acts that he commits. That’s what interested me so much about doing the film. Bond is a flawed character, and he doesn’t expect to feel the emotional turmoil he starts feeling.”

000831_967x544_796372_118.jpg

In the sack, and not sleeping.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited October 2021 Posts: 686
    A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!
    Frank Drebin - The Naked Gun
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    How should Bond die? Gloriously, of course.
    He makes the ultimate sacrifice and pays the ultimate price. To save the world one last time. To serve his country, to rescue his friends, and to save the life of a beautiful woman who loves him very much.
    Dedicated and determined to the very end, he does what no one else will do—what no one else can do—and he does it without hesitation. He grits his teeth, adjusts his cufflinks, and mutters “The things I do for England…!” And then he disappears: into the Inferno, into the Abyss.
    “James! No!”
    There will not be a dry eye in the house.
    Most Important Bond Film. Ever.

This from August 2017. @DrunkIrishPoet , you are a visionary!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,518
    zebrafish wrote: »
    How should Bond die? Gloriously, of course.
    He makes the ultimate sacrifice and pays the ultimate price. To save the world one last time. To serve his country, to rescue his friends, and to save the life of a beautiful woman who loves him very much.
    Dedicated and determined to the very end, he does what no one else will do—what no one else can do—and he does it without hesitation. He grits his teeth, adjusts his cufflinks, and mutters “The things I do for England…!” And then he disappears: into the Inferno, into the Abyss.
    “James! No!”
    There will not be a dry eye in the house.
    Most Important Bond Film. Ever.

This from August 2017. @DrunkIrishPoet , you are a visionary!

Visionaries... the asylums are full of them!

Deleted; but I'm keeping my hilarious Bond joke. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just reminding people that this thread isn t spoiler tagged, and I am not going to add it as that would be a spoiler in itself.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Just reminding people that this thread isn t spoiler tagged, and I am not going to add it as that would be a spoiler in itself.

It seems you were right all along then, @Thunderfinger. I remember being rather dismissive of the idea as I never thought that the producers would countenance it. It just goes to show how wrong I could be!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It seems you were right all along then, @Thunderfinger. I remember being rather dismissive of the idea as I never thought that the producers would countenance it. It just goes to show how wrong I could be!

The greatest travesty in the history of film. The death of James Bond. Nothing is sacred in cinema anymore.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Bond should not die. Can't say it any more clearly than that.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Venutius wrote: »
    Bond should not die. Can't say it any more clearly than that.

I wouldn’t think you’d need to. I certainly understand this sentiment, but the idea doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers others.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

The greatest travesty in the history of film. The death of James Bond. Nothing is sacred in cinema anymore.

It’s a movie, not a bloody religion.

Try telling that to some people, though.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,000
    I say they deserve watching the ending of NTTD.
    I say they deserve watching the ending of NTTD.

It may be a new thing in the world of Bond but I feel it has some indirect precedent in the works of Ian Fleming and even in simulated form in some of the Bond films too.

And even if it were, don't those things hinge on the death of an important character? ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

And even if it were, don't those things hinge on the death of an important character? ;)

And resurrection.

• DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Thank you @zebrafish ! It is good to be remembered and appreciated.
    Currently I am in hospital in Gdansk Poland recovering from three different kinds of cancer.
    But two days before my brain exploded I got to see no time to die and I loved it
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,730
    Currently I am in hospital in Gdansk Poland recovering from three different kinds of cancer.
    But two days before my brain exploded I got to see no time to die and I loved it

Sorry to hear that, @DrunkIrishPoet. I wish you a speedy and full recovery. Good to see you back with us again. :)

And this puts things into real perspective. I wish you well my friend.
    Get well, @DrunkIrishPoet! Great to hear you liked the new film, and I love your username.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Get well, @DrunkIrishPoet! Great to hear you liked the new film, and I love your username.

It has to be one of the very best on here. So much character is evoked by that username.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I will just echo this statement from another drunk.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

I will just echo this statement from another drunk.

I'll *burp* join in on that.

All the best to @DrunkIrishPoet
    Is that a Jason Masters Bond profile pic @00Heaven? Excellent choice.
    @DrunkIrishPoet , I am sorry to hear about your situation. I am glad that you got to see NTTD and enjoyed it! I hope that you will be able to live a fulfilled life as long as possible.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Thanks @zebrafish ! My prognosis is “very good“ (would have preferred “excellent”).
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,311
    I'm happy to hear this, all the best for you!
    Broccoli and Wilson say "ok we've come to the end of the road, we don't want to make anymore Bond movies, the next one will be the final EON Bond film. James Bond will not return". Then Bond can go out in a blaze of glory making the ultimate sacrifice for Queen and Country and saving the world one final time. That's the only time Bond's demise should ever be considered.