Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2021 Posts: 6,760
    I’ve started counting today, with any luck the bottom choice will be revealed tomorrow ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I’ve started counting today, with any luck the bottom choice will be revealed tomorrow ;)

I'm always looking forward to seeing some bottoms--I mean, YES! I can't wait. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I'm always looking forward to seeing some bottoms--I mean, YES! I can't wait. ;-)

With a nickname such as my own I’m almost obliged to reply:

“Bottoms up!”
    All right folks, here we go!
    Our bottom finish, almost as per usual it seems:

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
    From Never Say Never Again
    Performed by LANI HALL.

R-1473228-1222327422.jpeg.jpg

Unsurprisingly this one received the most amount of last places: 5.

NSNA also came in penultimate on four occasions and it came in 25th on seven occasions.

Only two members rated it higher than the bottom 5: one 19th spot and one 21st spot.

NSNA’s title song collected 34 points in total.
    I still like the song though.
    As a song, I guess it's "okay". I was never into '80s pop ballads, but I am a child of the '80s and the nostalgia factor hits hard. Lani Hall's song is the best thing of the entire NSNA soundtrack, anyway, since Michel Legrand had just woken up from a 25-year coma when writing his outdated, painfully "un-Bondian" score. Much like '80s fashion, there is, in hindsight, something "ugly" yet satisfying about the song.

As a Bond song, 'Never Say Never Again' feels wrong in so many ways. It's the kind of song you would slap on the opening credits of an '80s afternoon soap series about rich women sleeping with younger men who are after their money.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I had the theme song for NSNA at number 23. As a bond theme it is fairly weak, but as @DarthDimi stated it IS the best thing on the soundtrack. And of course, my childhood crush on Lani Hall influenced my vote. :x

Lani_Hall_1972.jpg
    THIRTY-FOUR POINTS! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Not surprised at all, but with Legrand's Chanson d'amour on the B-side, it's not the worst Bond single.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pretty awful song for the most part but managed to escape my last place and come in at 25th.
    It managed to be penultimate on my list as well, by virtue of it at least technically being music. :))
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 207
    I had NSNA at #25 on my list.

The second part of @DarthDimi's comment had me laughing because I completely agree with it and it's what I picture every single time it comes on.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,449
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    I had NSNA at #25 on my list.

The second part of @DarthDimi's comment had me laughing because I completely agree with it and it's what I picture every single time it comes on.

Great minds, and all that, @Zarozzor. ;-)
    It managed to be penultimate on my list as well, by virtue of it at least technically being music. :))

I am reading a reference to some thing about Sigmund Freud, @StirredNotShaken. ;-)
    NSNA at 25 for me too!
    Awful song! Wasnt Bonnie Tyler considered for the theme? And James Horner was meant to score!
    Lani Hall was so bland, apparently only getting the gig because she was married to Herb Alpert, who plays on the soundtrack!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    NSNA is at 26 in my list. Only one song from the Moore era is behind it...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No real shocks here methinks. The score and title song really do bring NSNA down.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,002
    I put it at #21. I don’t dislike the song and Hall is an excellent singer.
    I am actually shocked neither Die Another Day or Another Way To Die finished last.
    The latter especially is abysmal imo… the one Bond song I truly hate.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    I put it at #21. I don’t dislike the song and Hall is an excellent singer.
    I am actually shocked neither Die Another Day or Another Way To Die finished last.
    The latter especially is abysmal imo… the one Bond song I truly hate.

I assume anything non-EON-related is going to go first.

AWTD is so damn good, but I accept I'm maybe one of four people who feels that way.
    I may have singlehandedly saved the CR67 theme from elimination at #25 with my mid-ranking placement :))
    Next up, at the penultimate position, we already have our first EON entry:

WRITING’S ON THE WALL
    From Spectre
    Performed by SAM SMITH.

sam-smith-bond-gq-8sep15-pr_b.jpg

Despite its Oscar win SP’s title track is not a fan favourite over here, collecting four bottom finishes, four penultimate places and five more bottom 5’s.

WOTW’s best rating was one 15th place. Four more members placed it in their top 20.

WOTW obtained 44 points in total.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,378
    What? Writing's on the wall is weaker than DAD, AWTD and boring songs like All time high? I disagree. How much more appreciated would the song be without the "high voice" part? I also understand that the song isn't fitting for a film called SPECTRE.
    #27 on my list. I'm tempted to mute it each time.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,311
    I had it at #19, it really is quite a good song and I can see why it won an Oscar. It's the falsetto voice that does not really fit a Bond movie. And I agree: As a stand-alone song it beats the hell out of AWTD and NSNA.
    I love this composition and its orchestral arrangement. On the other hand, I don't care for the vocals, especially the falsetto, and I don't like how the lyrics are pronounced, especially the 's' sound.

Who's the composer? Sam Smith.
    Who's the singer? Sam Smith.

So you see the contradiction I experience with this song.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So far I’m 2 for 2. I wonder if the hat trick is on?
    Funny thing, to see an Oscar winning song drop so low here. ;-) Musically (orchestrally, whatever the correct word), this is a splendid song. The vocals seem "off" here and there, with Smith forcing himself high up there--and while I know that's "a thing" and many people like that, I've always struggled with that a bit. I don't hate this song, in fact, I didn't rate it quite this low, but I guess it's being squashed by fierce competition.
    I think it's atrocious that anything other than AWTD could possibly be the first EON song to go.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 6,760
    I rated it the highest of every participant. Just like SP has grown immensely on me, so has the song. Used to put it dead last, not anymore though: 15th for me.

Mind you, I rated another much-loathed EON song higher than anyone else. I almost don’t dare to share it when we’re there.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I rated it the highest of every participant. Just like SP has grown immensely on me, so has the song. Used to put it dead last, not anymore though: 15th for me.

Mind you, I rated another much-loathed EON song higher than anyone else. I almost don’t dare to share it when we’re there.

"Madge"??? ;)
    Got this one in the same position!
    The music is not bad, but the singing...ugh!
    Will be really surprised if DAD is not next, had it last on my list!