Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

Dwayne wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I rated it the highest of every participant. Just like SP has grown immensely on me, so has the song. Used to put it dead last, not anymore though: 15th for me.

Mind you, I rated another much-loathed EON song higher than anyone else. I almost don’t dare to share it when we’re there.

"Madge"??? ;)

Looking forward to the reveal. Coming very, very soon.
  • I didn't have either of these quite this low, but double-checking my list I see I didn't have them all that far off from here either. I do like both of these songs to some degree.

NSNA has a catchy theme that's incorporated nicely into the score by Legrand. The song doesn't scream Bond, but it does scream '80s.

"The Writing's on the Wall" actually has a pretty fantastic instrumental melody. It's big, bold, dramatic, at times quite ominous even. I dare say it captures much of the essence of what Bond music is all about. But I agree the song suffers from the strained falsetto. A Bono/Tina Turner situation might have worked wonders here. Guess we'll never really know, though there are some terrific covers on YouTube.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    "The Writing's on the Wall" actually has a pretty fantastic instrumental melody. It's big, bold, dramatic, at times quite ominous even. I dare say it captures much of the essence of what Bond music is all about. But I agree the song suffers from the strained falsetto.

I had to look up what "falsetto" means, so I've learned something new. Thanks for that, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero! ;-) Indeed, I think the instrumental layout of the song is pretty good. When Kleinman suddenly zooms in on Blofeld at the end of a large table, the song turns darkly dramatic, which is my favourite moment of the entire composition. I also like the soft piano slowly "coming down" (I'm not musically educated) while Smith is doing his "falsetto" thing (see, I'm a quick learner ;-) ), and especially how Newman worked that into his score. The moment when almost all the sound is pulled from the film and we see the desert train ride into the sunrise, this piano cue is pretty much all we hear, and it lands ever so gently in the warm grip of soft strings. Another great moment for me.

Adele's Skyfall is a far better song in my book, but the confusing thing is that I think it wasn't mixed in with its score as well as WOTW. Also, Skyfall (the song) follows a moment of musical silence while Newman lifts the tone of his music when Bond has taken control over the helicopter and is now flying away victoriously to build an organic bridge between the earlier action music and Smith's serene ballad. I'm less enthusiastic about the bombastic opening of the song pushed to the background while Bond examines the Spectre ring, but I absolutely adore the sudden clarity of Smith's voice breaking open the title sequence. I'm just not a big fan of his reach for those high notes.

Indeed, the high notes, the "falsetto" (thanks again, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero ;-) ), is less my thing. (I'm not a Beegees fan either if that makes any sense). But everything else about WOTW, is really good in my opinion.
  • Agree very much regarding the powerful use of the orchestral and piano version over the train scene and how Newman segues into the title song, @DarthDimi. Two of the film's very best musical moments. I'm not much of a musical person myself, technically speaking, but I sure do enjoy it!
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Agree very much regarding the powerful use of the orchestral and piano version over the train scene and how Newman segues into the title song, @DarthDimi.

That is the only moment the score really works for me, and even begins to sweep me away. Then it just peters out, never to return.
    Does anyone prefer Writing’s On The Wall if it’s sung by someone else?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Finishing out our bottom 3 is:

DIE ANOTHER DAY
    From Die Another Day
    Performed by MADONNA.

MADONNA_DIE%2BANOTHER%2BDAY-422449.jpg

Continuing our journey through the title tracks with another not-so-popular entry. DAD received two bottom finishes, four penultimate places and nine more bottom 5’s.

Two participants gave Madonna’s electroclash effort a spot in their lower top 20; one 16th place and one 19th place.

It appears there is also one fan since DAD managed to secure one 5th place, making it the lowest placed participant with a top 5 spot.

DAD’s title song obtained 45 points in total.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Drat, the hat trick didn’t come off. But DAD was next on my list. Thinking AWTD could be next.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    It appears there is also one fan since DAD managed to secure one 5th place, making it the lowest placed participant with a top 5 spot.
    @SigmundFreud
    Analyze this
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Great, now I can grab my pop psychology manual so we can discuss Freud.

Look, Madonna is a terrific artist, a legendary show icon and a very good singer. But DAD, along with that phase of her career, is an absolute low point for her. Electro pop with voice distortions, assaulting beats, and a "singer" who talks rather than sings? No, we deserve better.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 207
    #22 for me. Definitely in that 22-27 bottom tier on my list.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    #26 for me. While I love Madonna ("Madge"), the song doesn't really work for a Bond film. Not that all Bond themes must come from the same mold mind you, but it just never hit it with me. Oddly, I quite enjoy the song itself - on it's own and away from the context of the film.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,682

It wasn't you?! Damn, I was sure it was you (tears betting slip).

Anyway, I absolutely love this song. The backing strings; the melody and chord progression; the flamenco stomping; Madonna's edited, processed vocals (it's a very simple melody, but she does sing!); the dramatic and cheesy lyrics... everything works for me!
    WHERE THE F#$% IS AWTD

This is giving me anxiety at this point.
    WHERE THE F#$% IS AWTD

Wasn't Sanchez the top villain last time around? Anything can happen in these games. Who knows, perhaps AWTD is a highly appreciated song in these forums... first place?!

I'll go get a bucket to throw up.
    @SigmundFreud
    Analyze this

The guilty one is your host. I have eclectic tastes, in terms of music that includes both orchestral compositions as well as full-on electroclash, this one is right up my alley and I regularly listen to it.
    @SigmundFreud
    Analyze this

The guilty one is your host. I have eclectic tastes, in terms of music that includes both orchestral compositions as well as full-on electroclash, this one is right up my alley and I regularly listen to it.

beer-cheers.gif

It's a great song!
    Thanks @mattjoes :)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    I've warmed to it over the years, to the point that I actually enjoy it. @GoldenGun , can you send me a copy of my list back, that particular message was taken away with my posts for some reason (other messages weren't). I don't recall where I actually ranked it, but definitely not in the bottom five.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    WHERE THE F#$% IS AWTD

Soon my friend....very soon IMO. :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TWOTW came in at 27th, dead last, for me. Mewling, dull song, easily the worst in the entire series for me.

DAD arrives at 19th for me. It was incredibly catchy to me as a kid, and I loved watching the music video when it aired on TV, but there are so many stronger candidates in the series.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    @SigmundFreud
    Analyze this

beer-cheers.gif

It's a great song!

Cheers indeed! I apparently rated it second most highly. This is one that has really grown on me over time. It stands out among all the love ballads and big, Bassey-esque corkers, as great as many of them are, and it works really, really, really well against Kleinman's titles.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    WHERE THE F#$% IS AWTD

Wasn't Sanchez the top villain last time around? Anything can happen in these games. Who knows, perhaps AWTD is a highly appreciated song in these forums... first place?!

I'll go get a bucket to throw up.

From sheer joy that AWTD is a much-loved song? I'll reserve my praise for that one for when we get there.
  • To WOTW's detriment, it follows such a stunning opening sequence and thematically the lyrics have absolutely no link to the film so far. Lana Del Rey's and Radiohead's songs would have worked better.
  • To WOTW's detriment, it follows such a stunning opening sequence and thematically the lyrics have absolutely no link to the film so far.

I hadn’t thought about that before, but you’re right, the lyrics are actually much more appropriate for what goes down with Bond and Madeleine in NTTD.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    WHERE THE F#$% IS AWTD
    I've placed it #10, I hope I'm not the only one :)
    DAD, wich I like as a Madonna song outside the 007 context, is my #24 here
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    DAD is at #25. Madonna could do much better, I dislike all parts she is singing/talking. But the beat isn't bad and works surprisingly well with the titles, especially the beginning.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    WHERE THE F#$% IS AWTD
    I've placed it #10, I hope I'm not the only one :)
    DAD, wich I like as a Madonna song outside the 007 context, is my #24 here

AWTD was #27 for me. Music is a very subjective matter. I am curious to find out what others find in it. Cannot be long now, can it?
    DAD!!! Ugh, bottom of the list for me! Awful song, if you can even call it a song!
    Madonna was a good choice, and can do some catchy tunes, but this is drivel!
  • Benny wrote: »
    Drat, the hat trick didn’t come off. But DAD was next on my list. Thinking AWTD could be next.
    I had DAD in 25th and NSNA in 27th spots. I don't dislike Sam Smiths song as much as others around here, 18th for me.

Was never a fan of Garbages TWINE, hoping to see it next!