NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions NO SPOILERS please

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I haven’t posted in quite some time but I’m happy to report I’ll be seeing the film in less than 30 minutes. Exciting times!

Enjoy!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I haven’t posted in quite some time but I’m happy to report I’ll be seeing the film in less than 30 minutes. Exciting times!

Edit:
    Just had a glass of Macallan 12 at dinner to get the feeling right.
    Welcome back. I'd like to have a special bevvy before the film, but would guarantee a toilet break.

Did anyone miss parts of the film going to the toilet? I only just made it to the end of SP by taking small sips of a large cola.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    QBranch wrote: »

Edit:
    Welcome back. I'd like to have a special bevvy before the film, but would guarantee a toilet break.

Did anyone miss parts of the film going to the toilet? I only just made it to the end of SP by taking small sips of a large cola.

I try not to drink during films at the cinema for that very reason! Especially for those pushing the three hour mark.

However, for my second viewing, I decided to enjoy myself and that included a beer. I opted to use Q's home visit for a quick rest stop despite enjoying that scene. It was tough to decide which part I wanted to miss!
    Ryan wrote: »
    It was tough to decide which part I wanted to miss!
    One of many great reasons to see the film multiple times!
  • For my second viewing I consumed, three '007' martinis. Had to get in that Daniel Craig mindspace. :))

Edit:

My plan was: have the necessary special bevvy before the film, pop into the washroom just before going into the theatre, and no drinks in the theatre (I usually do have something in the theatre).
    I can't go in without some liquid or my lips will shrivel up from the popcorn.
    I went in empty-handed.
    Yeah I figured Blofeld should have just been Waltz’ age, a guy still in his 20s living with pops. Even a photo they bring up of young Oberhauser does NOT look like a man pushing 40.

The alpine air obviously keeps you young and freshfaced, as well as making you nuts.

:))
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    For my second viewing I consumed, three '007' martinis. Had to get in that Daniel Craig mindspace. :))

I was munching on the Joe & Seph 007 martini popcorn 🍿
  • Heading out soon to see it! Very excited, it’s been a looooong wait.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 40,372
    I can't go in without some liquid or my lips will shrivel up from the popcorn.

I had to buy myself a giant, overpriced, lukewarm bottle of water for that reason alone.

@SomethingThatAteHim, I hope you love it!
  • Just finished it. Did not care for it much :( Thought it was really good through Cuba and then it went largely downhill sadly
    Just finished it. Did not care for it much :( Thought it was really good through Cuba and then it went largely downhill sadly

This seems to be a recurring criticism for those who don't like it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Curious if anyone has seen the 3D version, and if the effect was any good.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Mallory wrote: »
    Curious if anyone has seen the 3D version, and if the effect was any good.

I'm generally not a 3D fan, but my local cinema is offering it in 3D so I might make that my next showing just for fun.
  • Just finished it. Did not care for it much :( Thought it was really good through Cuba and then it went largely downhill sadly

This seems to be a recurring criticism for those who don't like it.

It makes sense, it stops being a propulsive, fun James Bond movie in the classic mold after that sequence and becomes a dour mess of garbled exposition and half-cocked emotional sequences instead. The third act rights things somewhat, but is very hamstrung by a script that was clearly run through a blender and then pieced back together, and an over reliance on overly-precious melodrama (when this is supposed to be a finale to a Bond film that was celebrated for how un-precious it was!)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    I don't agree that the middle part of the film drags. Yes, it's heavy on exposition, but it's not like the scenes are uneventful. In fact all of them are great, very different from another and packing new and exciting revelations.
    jobo wrote: »
    I don't agree that the muddle part of the film drags. Yes, it's heavy on exposition, but it's not like the scenes are uneventful. In fact all of them are great, very different from another and packing new and exciting revelations.

This is how I felt watching the film both times as well.
    All scenes are necessary, but there are too many of them if you also care for some scenes to breathe. And some characters really didn't need to be there for the story to progress. Nomi and Paloma could/should have been one character and having two villains, both underdeveloped?
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Zekidk wrote: »
    All scenes are necessary, but there are too many of them if you also care for some scenes to breathe. And some characters really didn't need to be there for the story to progress. Nomi and Paloma could/should have been one character and having two villains, both underdeveloped?

Too many characters is my main issue with the film. I wrote a comment about it earlier on one of these threads. But in that sense the issue is that the film moves too fast. I am honestly a bit stunned when people say the movie moves too slowly or is boring. :-/ But sense of entertainment is subjective, obviously...
  • I don’t see how there are too many characters. Most Bond movies have these many characters:
    Bond, a couple of Bond girls, the MI6 crew, the Villain, his or her henchmen, some scientist type, a traitor. I don’t see a problem here.
    The film certainly didn’t feel like it had too many characters.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    jobo wrote: »
    I don't agree that the muddle part of the film drags. Yes, it's heavy on exposition, but it's not like the scenes are uneventful. In fact all of them are great, very different from another and packing new and exciting revelations.

This is how I felt watching the film both times as well.

+1
    JazzyBond wrote: »
    I don’t see how there are too many characters. Most Bond movies have these many characters:
    Bond, a couple of Bond girls, the MI6 crew, the Villain, his or her henchmen, some scientist type, a traitor. I don’t see a problem here.
    You can even have a lot of more characters if you don't care about character development.
    I'll post this in the spoiler thread, too, but after four times through it, I have come to the conclusion that No Time to Die is...

...the greatest Bond film ever made.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think it is one of the best certainly. Top 10 material and for me currently higher. It may shift around, of course. And rankings will vary by us all. But I believe this is one of the best Bond movies, yes.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It has risen to #11 after my last watch. It is going to take at least several more viewings in a more familiar setting (Home) before it will find it's comfortable spot. But I do imagine it will land somewhere between 10 (though it seems unlikely to pass SF) and 14.
    Glad to see you enjoyed it after what a trainwreck SP was for you!
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,594
    Based on the non spoiler reviews I’ve read and watched, it certainly sounds like an interesting film…for better or for worse. I’m all for character movement but it seems that there’s dialogue from Bond in this about having a certain life that I’m not going to like which doesn’t reflect Fleming’s Bond. I’ve always wanted more character development in Bond films but it just seems typical that they’ve potentially given us the wrong kind of character movement. I just mentioned the potential content of this dialogue to my Chinese friend and she laughed and said, “Not cool”. LOL. Still, we’ve never had a 100% portrayal of the literary man on screen for varied reasons anyway so one can look at it as just another example of this. Thankfully, I don’t feel as strongly about the movies like I used to. It’s the books that I really care about.

Been listening to the soundtrack on YouTube. The action cues are okay but aren’t anything to write home about but then most of them haven’t been since The Living Daylights when Barry bailed. The slower bits are nice but, and even though I thought I was probably be getting my hopes up about this, I was a bit disappointed to not hear a reference to the Living Daylights since Bond uses the Vantage. A brief instrumental snippet of TLD theme song or ‘Where Has Everybody Gone’ would have been nice seeing there are other nods in the score. The Living Daylights has always been a special film to me. I love the score, the Vantage, the Cold War atmosphere and Dalton.
  • Bounine wrote: »
    Based on the non spoiler reviews I’ve read and watched, it certainly sounds like an interesting film…for better or for worse. I’m all for character movement but it seems that there’s dialogue from Bond in this about having a certain life that I’m not going to like which doesn’t reflect Fleming’s Bond. I’ve always wanted more character development in Bond films but it just seems typical that they’ve potentially given us the wrong kind of character movement. I just mentioned the potential content of this dialogue to my Chinese friend and she laughed and said, “Not cool”. LOL. Still, we’ve never had a 100% portrayal of the literary man on screen for varied reasons anyway so one can look at it as just another example of this. Thankfully, I don’t feel as strongly about the movies like I used to. It’s the books that I really care about.

Been listening to the soundtrack on YouTube. The action cues are okay but aren’t anything to write home about but then most of them haven’t been since The Living Daylights when Barry bailed. The slower bits are nice but, and even though I thought I was probably be getting my hopes up about this, I was a bit disappointed to not hear a reference to the Living Daylights since Bond uses the Vantage. A brief instrumental snippet of TLD theme song or ‘Where Has Everybody Gone’ would have been nice seeing there are other nods in the score. The Living Daylights has always been a special film to me. I love the score, the Vantage, the Cold War atmosphere and Dalton.
    Yep, TLD and GE are pretty much the last 2 truly great Bond movies. And is it a coincidence that both of them touch on the Cold War topic? Granted the latter is post-Cold War but that flavor is still there.