The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I saw a comment online, that in one of them, Pinhead looks like a cosplayer.

One of the non-Bradley ones popped up via streaming once and Pinhead legitimately looked like a bad cosplayer. Must be the same one.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    e4tQN2V.jpeg

Scream first look: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette join franchise newbies (and Ghostface) in fifth film

https://ew.com/movies/scream-exclusive-first-look/
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    so the new scream is called Scream... so w are just done with original interesting titles in all franchises or what?

I can fear now the next 3 bond films will be titled
    James bond
    Shaken Not Stirred.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    so the new scream is called Scream... so w are just done with original interesting titles in all franchises or what?

I can fear now the next 3 bond films will be titled
    James bond
    Shaken Not Stirred.

It's like having all those cool Bourne titles for the series and then getting, simply, Jason Bourne. How original, how inventive.
    I love the Scream series, and this looks very, very good. Seems to be a little on the more serious side from this look…
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Thing, Halloween, Candyman, ... Yes, just the brand title is what we get these days. It's supposed to not scare away the young ones by implying that they have to go and watch older stuff first. And once the film has started, they don't worry about that anymore.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited October 2021 Posts: 6,724
    We should do a full list of those kinds of titles.

-Candyman
    -Charlie's Angels
    -Halloween
    -Mortal Kombat
    -Scream
    -Shaft
    -The Thing
  • Ghostbusters
    Friday the 13th
    Evil Dead (just missing the “the”)
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

If you count those that aren’t supposed to be a sequel but just a remake, there are an astronomical number of them.

The Fly
    Poltergeist
    Suspiria
    Psycho
    Night of the Living Dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The Amityville Horror
    Total Recall
    The Thomas Crown Affair
    The Magnificent Seven
    Planet of the Apes
    Halloween is the funniest example, since there are 3 films in the franchise with the exact same name.
    I really enjoyed V/H/S 94 on Shudder
    Post Halloween Kills ranking of the classic series. Big gap between #7 and #8:

1. Halloween (1978)
    2. Halloween Kills (2021)
    3. Halloween (2018)
    4. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    5. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
    6. Halloween II (1981)
    7. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
    8. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
    9. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
    10. Halloween (2007)
    11. Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
    12. Halloween 2 (2009)
  • Whoa, sounds promising! I like your high placement of Season of the Witch, too.
    Whoa, sounds promising! I like your high placement of Season of the Witch, too.

Thank you, I love that one. I seem to be alone unfortunately about Kills, with most hating on it that I’ve seen. But I loved almost everything about it, with the exception of
    a lack of Laurie.
    Would love to talk more in depth about it when more have seen it.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,844
    I don’t know if I’ll catch this one in theaters, so it may be a while until I’ve seen it. I like III because of how steeped it is in early Carpenter vibes. I really like II for the same reason.
    I didn't have any sort of expectations for Halloween Kills - I saw the trailer once many months back and forgot just about everything from it before today - but I was very underwhelmed by the film. The two actors (Nick Castle returning is always appreciated) who starred as Michael were excellent and the film does a fine job of introducing new, insignificant homeowners as budding victims, who are slaughtered in the most gruesome and unforgiving ways, but beyond that, the script makes a real mess of this midway point in the trilogy, jam-packing it with cringe one liners and more philosophical waxing about how Michael is pure evil and not human. It gets tiring after a while. Speaking of tiring, I was blown away by how many past references and retread sequences are in this - some characters find themselves in eerily similar situations that they did 40 years ago. It's some blunt fan service that got old very fast.

I fear this series is far removed from the magic of the classic - no more subtle scares or looming sequences full of terror here, sans a few predictable beats - and is more of a gory, bloody slasher focused on inventive kills and forgettable characters meeting grisly fates. I'll check out Halloween Ends but I think this series can stop after that one. They've clearly run out of ideas.
  • I've heard Halloween Kills is more a bonkers bloodbath than anything and was deliberately trying to strike a different tone from Halloween '18.

Personally, I haven't absolutely loved any Halloween film that wasn't the original or from the '80s. Not even H20 or Halloween '18. I do think a great Halloween film could be made outside of that time period, but no attempts have resonated with me yet.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,268
    For me, Kills had the intrigue of the classics and the brutality of Zombie's, which made for a fun hybrid (characters, story much better and more interesting in Kills than either of Zombie's IMO). I'll be happy to be among the minority who enjoyed it quite a lot. The series is about half hit and half miss for me; I love '78, '18, Kills, and Season of the Witch, like H20, OG 2, and 4, but hate the rest. I'm going to come back here to post a Nightmare on Elm Street ranking sometime soon, which I've marathoned for the first time fully this year too. That one is the most consistent among the big three I think (Halloween, Friday, Nightmare).
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    I love '78, '18, Kills, and Season of the Witch, like H20, OG 2, and 4, but hate the rest.

This is about how I feel about the series as well. I think I probably like both 2 and 4 more than most do. I need to revisit H20 and this newest trilogy to cement my thoughts on them, and I haven't seen the Zombies yet. 5 was a bit of a frustrating mess with some redeeming features (though not many), and it's really where the series started to go off the rails and not really feel like Halloween anymore.
    Yes. Zombie’s films seems to have gotten some love over time, I just don’t see it; the unlikable characters drag them down a ton. Maine is a good Myers though. One big thing: my top 4 are all the only ones without the family drama BS, which unfortunately did start in 2, a movie I mostly liked but was marred by that and it continued to weigh down the series since.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,844
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Yes. Zombie’s films seems to have gotten some love over time, I just don’t see it; the unlikable characters drag them down a ton. Maine is a good Myers though. One big thing: my top 4 are all the only ones without the family drama BS, which unfortunately did start in 2, a movie I mostly liked but was marred by that and it continued to weigh down the series since.

They went overboard with it in Part 5 and especially in Part 6, but I never found it too irksome in 2 and 4. Unnecessary perhaps, but easy enough to overlook in light of the good stuff.

They went overboard with it in Part 5 and especially in Part 6, but I never found it too irksome in 2 and 4. Unnecessary perhaps, but easy enough to overlook in light of the good stuff.

Exactly. But it is the original sin of 2 nonetheless XP especially dumbfounding Zombie reused that element with a clean slate, given it was one of the most universally disliked decisions.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

Exactly. But it is the original sin of 2 nonetheless XP especially dumbfounding Zombie reused that element with a clean slate, given it was one of the most universally disliked decisions.

True, it's hard to put the worms back in the can once they're out.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Halloween Kills sounds like it is closer to the Rob Zombie films, than the original 78 Halloween. I'll wait for the DVD.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Tonally I thought Halloween Kills was great, the closest they’ve gotten to the original, but the script needed a lot of work, and I personally thought the kills were kinda stupid, and almost laughable.
    Halloween Kills sounds like it is closer to the Rob Zombie films, than the original 78 Halloween. I'll wait for the DVD.

It really is. Stay for the brutality but don't expect a remotely coherent or enjoyable story (or even characters, really).
    For me, Kills is like if the Zombie films were done well. I liked the story, themes, and characters, and the fact some new ideas were tried.
    For me, Kills is like if the Zombie films were done well. I liked the story, themes, and characters, and the fact some new ideas were tried.

I can agree with that, I just didn't care for it as a whole. It wasn't scary in the slightest for me and I thought most of these "new ideas" on display were retreading old ground - the same characters, 40 years on, getting in the same situations, a mob rising up to fight Michael, returning to Michael's house as an important locale. Been there, done that. I'd like to see this formula massively shaken up or the series to stop for a while.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I can agree with that, I just didn't care for it as a whole. It wasn't scary in the slightest for me and I thought most of these "new ideas" on display were retreading old ground - the same characters, 40 years on, getting in the same situations, a mob rising up to fight Michael, returning to Michael's house as an important locale. Been there, done that. I'd like to see this formula massively shaken up or the series to stop for a while.

I’d argue, as someone who’s seen them all, this film went to some places none of the others had in showing not only the physical damage but mental damage done to people from Michael. Though I wish some characters had more time, it was cool seeing the town at large consistently, and Michael himself was done really well in being shown to be more than man, but not wandering too far into supernatural territory.
    The scene with the escaped Sanitarium inmate killing himself was one of the most surprisingly affecting scenes to me.
    There was an artsy side to this film, operatic-like, that I think hadn’t really been seen before. I see and respect that not many others dig this entry, but I might even see it a second time for Halloween night, and I hope its reputation grows with time as (though I still don’t like them XP) Zombie’s did.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 23,545
    I'm a species soon to be extinct. Because I am he, the One, the Rob Zombie fan. I've seen all of his films and I capital-L love all of his films (except H2). I'm that person. You have found him, search no more. So yes, Halloween Kills could have been a Rob Zombie film. I'm not complaining. But what do I know? I'm not like you. I'll never be like you. ;-)