Feedback and Suggestions V2

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm surprised they haven't complained about you in that Internet café yet @QBranch ;)
    The internet cafe is where I do all my best work. ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,804
    QBranch wrote: »
    I'm surprised they haven't complained about you in that Internet café yet @QBranch ;)
    The internet cafe is where I do all my best work. ;)

Watch this space for the next J. K. Rowling. ;)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited July 2021 Posts: 3,675
    jake24 wrote: »
    Thanks! It worked.

Thanks! It worked.

A real red letter day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Why not open up a new forum, and just leave this one to the bots?
    Why not open up a new forum, and just leave this one to the bots?

Operation Mothball.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Thanks! It worked.

A real red letter day.

I honestly don't know what happened there.
    Thanks! It worked.

A real red letter day.

I honestly don't know what happened there.

It must be BB Code or something?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Happy to say that the bots that have infected the activity page, have been cleaned up.
    Fingers crossed we can keep such attacks to a minimum.
    Thank you all for your patience and understanding.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A hearty well done to all who helped in keeping the Bots at Bay =D>
    Well done indeed! They've been exiled to Botany Bay. ;)
    Quick question
    I'm ashamed to say I forgot how to post a spoiler comment.
    When do I search for that information?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Six symbols along above your comments box there is a drop down arrow which gives you the option of a
    spoiler
    NicNac wrote: »
    Six symbols along above your comments box there is a drop down arrow which gives you the option of a
    spoiler

Found it! Thanks!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Is it possible for thread creation to go through mods first, until NTTD releases in all territories, to avoid trolls posting spoilers in thread titles?
    I see our old "friends" the spambots are getting active again on the Activity Page posting more links to their useless websites.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,609
    (NTTD spoiler)

Such a pity Bond is dead now. Can't get rid of the bots.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I see our old "friends" the spambots are getting active again on the Activity Page posting more links to their useless websites.

Thanks for the heads up Draggers. Mission received and understood. :-h
    Benny wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up Draggers. Mission received and understood. :-h

That's fine, @Benny. It looks like the same ones as we had earlier in the year a few times so thought I'd flag it up before it gets too bad.
    Was sorry to learn that @Birdleson's entire contribution to this forum was accidentally deleted. Not only did all his posts disappear, but every thread he created too - which means that everyone else who posted in these threads has had their comments disappear too.

If anyone can remember any of his topics, please make a list so we can get them going again.

A couple of @Birdleson's threads I can remember just off the top of my head:

Ranking Bond Performances By Film
    Caught Looking: The Awkward Extras of Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 17,804
    I'm very sorry to hear that too. @Birdleson is one of my favourite members here and someone I hold in much respect. We share a deep passion for the literary Bond.

It's awful to think that a member could have all their years of contributions to the forum, including discussions, posts and private messages irretrievably deleted in one fell swoop. What a bitter blow this is for @Birdleson and indeed for all of us as a community at large. He is one of our most prolific posters here. He had some great and erudite threads. I was just thinking about contributing to his latest topic which he'd kindly tagged me in a while back. Sadly I hadn't yet gotten around to typing up my reply to that thread on how much Fleming the Bond films really contained.

I'm certainly all for helping @Birdleson get his topics back up and running again. I'll have a look through my phone and see what I can find as I often screenshot posts and threads of interest to look back on later. Hopefully there'll be something in there to jog my memory.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll share more once I hear back from him but as of now, that was done by @Birdleson's hand alone and there was nothing malicious or accidental about it thankfully. It's a damn shame those threads were lost, though, I didn't even think of that when he mentioned it to me.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    That is terrible what's happened to @Birdleson
    Is he alright?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, he's fine, just a sort of internal issue that was going on, nothing serious. He got back to me and said him deleting his account wasn't an accident but that the now-deleted threads definitely were; he also didn't think of that and had no intention of wiping out such good discussions as a result.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Guys, thank you all for your concern, but I think my message got a little confused. I decided to step down as a moderator, for a few reasons. I decided to deactivate my account, but wasn’t able to. The only option I had was to delete my content. So I did that, thinking that was the only way for me to cut my account off. Which didn’t happen but my content was deleted. The accidental part, which I tried to explain to a member, and I think it got a little confused, what is that I totally forgot it was going to take out all the threads and pages that other people are depending on. I apologize for that. I am very sorry for any inconvenience that has cost. Please don’t feel sorry for me, as Creasy said, this was my own decision. I’ve had a great time here. But some of the frustrations were a bit overwhelming.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Thank you @Creasy47 for the update. As a fellow Whooligan, I've grown rather attached to @Birdleson
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Was sorry to learn that @Birdleson's entire contribution to this forum was accidentally deleted. Not only did all his posts disappear, but every thread he created too - which means that everyone else who posted in these threads has had their comments disappear too.

If anyone can remember any of his topics, please make a list so we can get them going again.

A couple of @Birdleson's threads I can remember just off the top of my head:

Ranking Bond Performances By Film
    Caught Looking: The Awkward Extras of Bond

and Bond Films By...

Losing threads and comments doesn t matter, but it would be a shame to lose @Birdleson altogether. I didn t see this until now, as many notifications don t update, as indeed stated earlier.
    Exactly what I was thinking. It would indeed be a shame to lose a member and moderator as valued and respected as @Birdleson. Of course accidents happen and posts and threads can always be recreated again but losing prolific and knowledgeable members like this feels like the lifeblood of the community is being drained away that little bit more. I hope @Birdleson will reconsider leaving altogether as a member and will continue to be a contributing part of our community. Of course we have to respect his decision either way but, like James Bond himself, I certainly hope he will return.

As an aside I too have noticed that threads aren't updating how many posts have been made since one has last clicked on the link. I've also noticed that it doesn't automatically update to show you've clicked on a thread and seen the new posts within it since you last clicked on it like it used to do. I thought perhaps it was just my phone playing up but it seems that others have had the same issue recently too.
    As an aside I too have noticed that threads aren't updating how many posts have been made since one has last clicked on the link. I've also noticed that it doesn't automatically update to show you've clicked on a thread and seen the new posts within it since you last clicked on it like it used to do. I thought perhaps it was just my phone playing up but it seems that others have had the same issue recently too.
    I'm getting that too, on the PC and phone, but about half of them show the yellow highlight.
    I'm getting that too, on the PC and phone, but about half of them show the yellow highlight.

Yes, it must be a more pervasive issue than I initially thought. Luckily I've had this thread bookmarked for years so that I'm immediately aware of any website issues. That way I get a notification each time someone posts in it. It's a failsafe while the other regular forum features seem to be down.