Feedback and Suggestions V2

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It'd be nice if there was some mini questionnaire you had to fill out upon joining, with basic, simple questions any fan would know. Facebook Groups work that way, definitely helps cut down on the BS and bots.

I'm deleting one or two a minute now, it seems, so hopefully they grow tired eventually.
    Is there a way to stop new members from joining or is that at the admin level?

That's up to the admins.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

The problem with that is it'd stop genuine Bond fans from joining up here too. We always need new blood to secure the future of the forum. I like @Creasy47's suggestion of having a Bond questionnaire before joining. That might stop some of these type of spambots from joining in the first place. Something for the admins to consider maybe?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

The problem with that is it'd stop genuine Bond fans from joining up here too. We always need new blood to secure the future of the forum. I like @Creasy47's suggestion of having a Bond questionnaire before joining. That might stop some of these type of spambots from joining in the first place. Something for the admins to consider maybe?

Considering the admins aren't on here daily, I think it'd be best to put that sort of control in the hands of mods. That way, anytime we're on, we can sift through new additions and accept them accordingly. It's better than us having to delete new bots every minute or so, anyway.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Considering the admins aren't on here daily, I think it'd be best to put that sort of control in the hands of mods. That way, anytime we're on, we can sift through new additions and accept them accordingly. It's better than us having to delete new bots every minute or so, anyway.

Yes, that sounds like a good practical solution to the problem these annoying spambots present. Hopefully such a change can be introduced to reduce the workload of the mods having to delete spamming account individually.

I was thinking just temporarily, until the bot attack is over, seems there are hundreds of them!
    Bandai%2BBattle%2BDroid%2B%2526%2BSTAP%2B%25281%2529.png

I was thinking just temporarily, until the bot attack is over, seems there are hundreds of them!
    Bandai%2BBattle%2BDroid%2B%2526%2BSTAP%2B%25281%2529.png

Yes, I was thinking that's probably what you meant after I posted that. Hopefully it won't come to that. If it gets any worse we may have to raise a militia to help fight off the hordes of bots.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I take it these spambots are clever enough to pass the Captcha 'I am not a bot' test when signing up?
    Benny wrote: »
    I’m deleting any with links as fast as I can.
    But thanks for the heads up.
    Was it painful? Banning those spammers who selected Octopussy as their favourite Bond film?
    edited June 11 Posts: 14,436
    QBranch wrote: »
    I take it these spambots are clever enough to pass the Captcha 'I am not a bot' test when signing up?
    Was it painful? Banning those spammers who selected Octopussy as their favourite Bond film?

Out of over 600 throws of the (loaded) dice I'm sure the chances are a good few picked Octopussy as their favourite Bond film. Some of these spambots aren't all bad. Maybe I misjudged them?! ;)
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyAdministrator, Moderator

Hahhaha. I had to look away when I did it.
    I've been in contact with the admin and they seem to have cleared up the onslaught of Bot members. Hoping it stayed that way. I spent along time yesterday removing them. Along with many others from the mod team.
    Fingers crossed this stops them for as long as possible.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matthaujoes
    Some of these spambots aren't all bad. Maybe I misjudged them?! ;)
    I actually became friends with some of them.

I actually...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It seems once again our gallant MODs have used their Goldeneye and Goldfinger, on
    seeing the SPECTRE of defeat with the Spambots. The writings on the wall for them as if a Skyfall had landed on them. with that in mind I've contacted our usual friend on YouTube. ;) as Nobody does it better

Observe, Mr. Bot, the instruments of Armageddon!

tenor.gif
    Observe, Mr. Bot, the instruments of Armageddon!

tenor.gif
    :))
    ...He was cut off--permanently.
    Who will be the lucky moderators to do all the banning this time?
    Who will be the lucky moderators to do all the banning this time?

Lucky me. ;)
    Cleaned up for now.
    It gave me no pleasure in banning @tabledonkey5
    With a name like that they could’ve brought a lot to the forum.
    We’ll never know what we missed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I've just done a ton of new ones. Is there a pattern @Benny ?
    Sadly not. Bots used to be noticeable as they would leave the favourite novel and film section blank. And they’d all have Sean Connery as their favourite Bond.
    These new ones have a favourite novel, film and different Bonds.
    Even their emails change. Though a lot do use the same one.
    It’s a nightmare. I cleaned up maybe 40 or 50 earlier.
    The admin cleaned up a load last week, but they just keep coming. Other than a are you a human tick box. I’m not sure what we can do.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    We can't do anything other than keep banging on at admin :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes matthaujoes
    Tons of pesky bots logged in right now.
    Boy but those spambots are getting really annoying. They've hijacked two of the Activity pages with their spam web links. They're such a plague and there seems to be no end of them in sight unfortunately.
    Just cleared it up. Thanks for the heads up @Dragonpol
    Another day, another banning.
    Five* more every week.

*hundred
    Just cleared it up. Thanks for the heads up @Dragonpol
    Another day, another banning.

Thanks @Benny. I really feel for the mods and admins having to clear away all of this detritus. Thanks again for all your good work in keeping the site free from such litter. It's much appreciated.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Joe Don Baker Street
    sdsZ3d.gif
    sdsZ3d.gif

If that's the guy who sent the army of spambots he needs a slap with a wet lettuce!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sadly the bots seem to have returned on the activity page.
    Please ignore, don’t engage with them and we’ll clear it up as quickly as possible.
    Thanks for your patience and understanding.