NTTD & Corona

1646567697072

Comments

  • Posts: 364
    Any idea when tickets will go on pre sale here in the UK for the 30th?
  • Kananga wrote: »
    Any idea when tickets will go on pre sale here in the UK for the 30th?

    Last time when I bought tickets for NTTD 2020 release (in Canada) it was 39 days before release date.
    Going by this math, you could possibly get tickets Sunday, August 22, 2021
  • Posts: 364
    Kananga wrote: »
    Any idea when tickets will go on pre sale here in the UK for the 30th?

    Last time when I bought tickets for NTTD 2020 release (in Canada) it was 39 days before release date.
    Going by this math, you could possibly get tickets Sunday, August 22, 2021

    Thanks man.

  • edited August 2021 Posts: 1,176
    ertert wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    World Premiere on the 28th at the Royal Albert Hall: https://thesincuragroup.com/tickets/film/premiers.html

    It's really happening! [/quot

    That’s what they said February/March 2020!



  • edited August 2021 Posts: 434
    TR007 wrote: »

    Jesus, this is such a mess. Funny how the movies can't be back but no problem cramming into workplaces...

    Wonder when the absolute latest they could make a decision would be? Last I knew situation in UK was looking better, but who knows.

    It's a feedback loop. The studios keep delaying movies which means no one goes to theaters which means box office looks poorly which means more delays. Someone's just going to have to pull a "Tenet" and go! We have many efficacious vaccines, what are we doing here?
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490
    TR007 wrote: »


    Not a good sign. This uncertainty is frustrating for all of us. But they've already spent $$$ on adverts during the olympics and supposedly booking the RAH.
  • Posts: 490
    THR is reporting that Venom was indeed pushed to 10/15, just one week after Bond in the U.S. This doesn't look good.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 434
    ertert wrote: »
    THR is reporting that Venom was indeed pushed to 10/15, just one week after Bond in the U.S. This doesn't look good.

    Better than being pushed to January, I suppose. Shows at least some confidence in that time horizon. Wonder if NTTD would move up a week in the States. We shall see...
  • Posts: 1,176
    BMB007 wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »

    Jesus, this is such a mess. Funny how the movies can't be back but no problem cramming into workplaces...

    Wonder when the absolute latest they could make a decision would be? Last I knew situation in UK was looking better, but who knows.

    It's a feedback loop. The studios keep delaying movies which means no one goes to theaters which means box office looks poorly which means more delays. Someone's just going to have to pull a "Tenet" and go! We have many efficacious vaccines, what are we doing here?

    We have the vaccines,but social distancing in theatres is still a thing which = less bums on seats.Also,many are still nervous about heading out to theatres despite being vaccinated.And no one wants to be the one to “ pull a Tenet “ cos that means losing money.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 38,241
    Yes, more delays isn't a good look for the future, but NTTD seems committed to keep its current date. I guess anything can happen.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    I believe it will stick and it’s gonna be Daniel’s lowest grossing Bond film.
  • Posts: 434
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »

    Jesus, this is such a mess. Funny how the movies can't be back but no problem cramming into workplaces...

    Wonder when the absolute latest they could make a decision would be? Last I knew situation in UK was looking better, but who knows.

    It's a feedback loop. The studios keep delaying movies which means no one goes to theaters which means box office looks poorly which means more delays. Someone's just going to have to pull a "Tenet" and go! We have many efficacious vaccines, what are we doing here?

    We have the vaccines,but social distancing in theatres is still a thing which = less bums on seats.Also,many are still nervous about heading out to theatres despite being vaccinated.And no one wants to be the one to “ pull a Tenet “ cos that means losing money.

    It seems like bs to me, though. Sports venues are open up stateside with no occupancy restrictions. So, why are movie theaters different? Why can a sellout crowd of 18,000 be at the NBA finals (indoors) but not a movie theater?

    Seems to me like the studios see this as an opportunity to kill theaters for good!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 38,241
    Surely something has to be better than nothing for them at this point. I don't know how feasible it'd be to delay it another six months to a year, but I've no idea how all that works behind the scenes, so time will tell. I'll be seeing it in theaters if it keeps that October 8th date here in the U.S. or whether it's delayed further. Either way, I'm excited.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years. There will be other variants after Delta, we'll be in this mess for a long time.

    Really hoping they choose option A.

    Also, I'm curious how it works behind the scenes. Surely as of today they're still on track given all the $$$ they've spent lately on the RAH and marketing, and allowing the 007 podcast to announce it is resuming. I don't think they've already made the decision to delay and they're just waiting for the right time to announce it. I do believe as of this moment they're still moving forward.
  • Posts: 434
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years. There will be other variants after Delta, we'll be in this mess for a long time.

    If studios wait years to put major releases in theaters, there won't be theaters to return to.

    To quote Silva — they have changed our nature. People won't see a need to go back. People aren't going to theaters now, partially, because there's nothing good there! Or, the big stuff that does get released is all also on streaming.

    Someone will have to experiment, a la F9. It's going to lose money whenever it's released, that's inevitable now.
  • Posts: 490
    BMB007 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years. There will be other variants after Delta, we'll be in this mess for a long time.

    If studios wait years to put major releases in theaters, there won't be theaters to return to.

    Exactly my point. Which is why I really hope they've accepted the reality that it just isn't gonna make a billion dollars. Also, as others have said, all eyes are on NTTD as a barometer for the industry as a whole, so delaying again would be a huge morale and PR disaster for the industry.
  • Posts: 625
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years.

    I'm confident, that "Avatar 2" (Christmas 2022) will be the first $1bn-hit at the box office since Covid started. James Cameron will save the cinemas again and again.

    I'm also confident, that NTTD will be the lowest grossing of the Craig-movies.
    The alternative would be to postpone to 2023 (!), because as I said I'm not sure, that any movie before "Avatar 2" will make $1 billion.
  • Posts: 490
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years.

    I'm confident, that "Avatar 2" (Christmas 2022) will be the first $1bn-hit at the box office since Covid started. James Cameron will save the cinemas again and again.

    I'm also confident, that NTTD will be the lowest grossing of the Craig-movies.
    The alternative would be to postpone to 2023 (!), because as I said I'm not sure, that any movie before "Avatar 2" will make $1 billion.

    Agreed. Either they cut their losses and proceed on time and not waste more marketing $$$ or wait 1-2 more years. If their goal is $1bil box office then even a 6 month delay seems unrealistic.
  • Posts: 434
    ertert wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years. There will be other variants after Delta, we'll be in this mess for a long time.

    If studios wait years to put major releases in theaters, there won't be theaters to return to.

    Exactly my point. Which is why I really hope they've accepted the reality that it just isn't gonna make a billion dollars. Also, as others have said, all eyes are on NTTD as a barometer for the industry as a whole, so delaying again would be a huge morale and PR disaster for the industry.

    Especially with
    ertert wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years.

    I'm confident, that "Avatar 2" (Christmas 2022) will be the first $1bn-hit at the box office since Covid started. James Cameron will save the cinemas again and again.

    I'm also confident, that NTTD will be the lowest grossing of the Craig-movies.
    The alternative would be to postpone to 2023 (!), because as I said I'm not sure, that any movie before "Avatar 2" will make $1 billion.

    Agreed. Either they cut their losses and proceed on time and not waste more marketing $$$ or wait 1-2 more years. If their goal is $1bil box office then even a 6 month delay seems unrealistic.

    If we're assuming MI6HQ numbers are accurate (which, to be fair, who knows), if they delay it a year we can assume they'd still lose money on a billion. It's going to lose money whenever they release it! Unfortunate that's the case, but that's the case. They're not alone.
  • Posts: 1,479
    More reasons not to imitate ANYTHING about TeneT -- in no particular order.
    (1) Christopher Nolan -- as he came off in articles, mind you -- sounded so film- and self-focused that he seemed either arrogant, way too high on himself and the film, out-of-touch and uninformed, or some combination of all the above. He seemed to think HIS movie, his GREAT movie, would compel audiences to disregard their own concerns for their personal health, in a day and age when large flat-screen TVs and all the other comforts and conveniences of home viewing ALREADY, pre-pandemic, appeal to many people. No movie will bring audiences back. Audiences bring themselves back.
    Audiences will return when and if they feel comfortable being in a theater. Will all the theaters install super-quiet fans, suck the air out quickly and efficiently, install seats that slide to facilitate distancing while letting groups who know each other sit together, clean the place/door handles/bathrooms, etc. frequently and well ? That would call for a great deal of expensive renovation. The expense might be justifiable with a long-term view not only re: Covid but for general cleanliness.
    (2) TeneT was C. Nolan Jumping the Shark. Not with regard to the things discussed above, but the content of the film itself. Mind you -- I always enjoy his films, and the case -- as always with his films -- was fantastic. But, yeah. JTS.
  • Posts: 434
    Since62 wrote: »
    More reasons not to imitate ANYTHING about TeneT -- in no particular order.
    (1) Christopher Nolan -- as he came off in articles, mind you -- sounded so film- and self-focused that he seemed either arrogant, way too high on himself and the film, out-of-touch and uninformed, or some combination of all the above. He seemed to think HIS movie, his GREAT movie, would compel audiences to disregard their own concerns for their personal health, in a day and age when large flat-screen TVs and all the other comforts and conveniences of home viewing ALREADY, pre-pandemic, appeal to many people. No movie will bring audiences back. Audiences bring themselves back.
    Audiences will return when and if they feel comfortable being in a theater. Will all the theaters install super-quiet fans, suck the air out quickly and efficiently, install seats that slide to facilitate distancing while letting groups who know each other sit together, clean the place/door handles/bathrooms, etc. frequently and well ? That would call for a great deal of expensive renovation. The expense might be justifiable with a long-term view not only re: Covid but for general cleanliness.
    (2) TeneT was C. Nolan Jumping the Shark. Not with regard to the things discussed above, but the content of the film itself. Mind you -- I always enjoy his films, and the case -- as always with his films -- was fantastic. But, yeah. JTS.

    > Audiences will return when and if they feel comfortable being in a theater.

    This is the problem — why will people go to theaters if there is nothing to see. That's why I used the "Tenet" example, it was a big film that *actually* released. Other, far more reckless public venues are open and bustling. Why are movie theaters different than an indoor sporting venue or a bar?

    The studios see an opportunity to kill movie theaters, bust the unions (since you brought up Nolan — look up what he said about streaming and labor unions), and make more money for them while screwing everyone else (see ScarJo and Disney). That's what's going on here. It's not a COVID thing. If it was COVID, arenas would be shutdown and restaurants back to takeout only.

    It's greed. Plain and simple.

    People will go to movie theaters if they have movies worth going to.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,487
    Nolan didn t overrate his film. He overrated the audience.
  • Posts: 625
    Since62 wrote: »
    Will all the theaters suck the air out quickly and efficiently?

    I don't know where you live, but that's the case already with 99% of all theatres for years, long before covid.
    Here in Germany the air gets exchanged about ten times per hour. So every 6 minutes you breath completely new fresh air from the outside. And those ACs don't make any noise.
    They made lots of tests over the last year and the experts say, that it's almost impossible to get infected while sitting in the auditorium. Another reason for that is, that the air gets sucked out from the ceiling, so no used air will spread out in the room.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,292
    At this point I wouldn’t take any upcoming release for granted, except for the films with a streaming day and date release.
  • Posts: 434
    James00789 wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years. There will be other variants after Delta, we'll be in this mess for a long time.

    If studios wait years to put major releases in theaters, there won't be theaters to return to.

    Exactly my point. Which is why I really hope they've accepted the reality that it just isn't gonna make a billion dollars. Also, as others have said, all eyes are on NTTD as a barometer for the industry as a whole, so delaying again would be a huge morale and PR disaster for the industry.

    Especially with
    ertert wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    The choices are either release it knowing it will not make nearly enough money to be profitable, or delay until a $1bn box office is possible, which could easily be 1-2 more years.

    I'm confident, that "Avatar 2" (Christmas 2022) will be the first $1bn-hit at the box office since Covid started. James Cameron will save the cinemas again and again.

    I'm also confident, that NTTD will be the lowest grossing of the Craig-movies.
    The alternative would be to postpone to 2023 (!), because as I said I'm not sure, that any movie before "Avatar 2" will make $1 billion.

    Agreed. Either they cut their losses and proceed on time and not waste more marketing $$$ or wait 1-2 more years. If their goal is $1bil box office then even a 6 month delay seems unrealistic.

    If we're assuming MI6HQ numbers are accurate (which, to be fair, who knows), if they delay it a year we can assume they'd still lose money on a billion. It's going to lose money whenever they release it! Unfortunate that's the case, but that's the case. They're not alone.

    So they might as well release it and have done with it

    Exactly my logic, yeah. You're gonna have to rip off the band-aid eventually.
  • Posts: 1,479
    ,
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »
    Will all the theaters suck the air out quickly and efficiently?

    I don't know where you live, but that's the case already with 99% of all theatres for years, long before covid.
    Here in Germany the air gets exchanged about ten times per hour. So every 6 minutes you breath completely new fresh air from the outside. And those ACs don't make any noise.
    They made lots of tests over the last year and the experts say, that it's almost impossible to get infected while sitting in the auditorium. Another reason for that is, that the air gets sucked out from the ceiling, so no used air will spread out in the room.

    People still would be concerned about the persons next to or near them. Did those tests account for persons sitting right next to each other ? So close that the arm-rests cannot be shared, and one person or the other gets to use it.
  • I understand the difficulty with moving the opening again but surely the box office would benefit from the 2022 60th anniversary publicity. + this year respiratory infections are expected to be a real issue as we go into Autumn/Winter. Many older people are unlikely to risk going back to the cinema this year particularly for a film lasting 163 minutes.

    Isn't next Summer a possibilty? It used to be the choice for Bond openings
  • Posts: 434
    I understand the difficulty with moving the opening again but surely the box office would benefit from the 2022 60th anniversary publicity. + this year respiratory infections are expected to be a real issue as we go into Autumn/Winter. Many older people are unlikely to risk going back to the cinema this year particularly for a film lasting 163 minutes.

    Isn't next Summer a possibilty? It used to be the choice for Bond openings

    Bond has never done a summer release since LTK.

    Frankly, if you're trying to gamble on when rates will improve — good luck. There's been no correlation of seasonality with it. I also think fans overestimate how much impact a "60th anniversary" will really have.

    It's going to lose money whether released now, a year, or five years from now. It's unfortunate, but there's nothing they could have done to stop it. There comes a time to recognize the sunk cost.

    If it is a good movie (which all indications are it is), people will spend money to see it. Simple as that.
  • Posts: 632
    I’d like to believe NTTD will hold firm. My Corgi DB5 from the movie arrived yesterday! It was previously delayed to coincide with the film’s release. The Venom 2 move is baffling to me. What’s changing in 3 weeks? Plus, it’s a week after Bond, so I’d assume 007 should be safe where he’s at. Everyone seems to realize NTTD isn’t going to get the response financially that it would have gotten in a pre-Covid world. Here’s hoping the PTB see that and hold to the current date.
Sign In or Register to comment.