NTTD & Corona

Comments

As you read in Australia No time to Die release there will be in December Christmas time2021
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Without a day and date streaming release on D+, Free Guy drops a very solid 50% on its 2nd weekend. That’s good. This day and date streaming release strategy should be abandoned as soon as possible.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Without a day and date streaming release on D+, Free Guy drops a very solid 50% on its 2nd weekend. That’s good.

That's really good.
    For NTTD only 50% on the 2nd weekend would be better than SF and SP.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Without a day and date streaming release on D+, Free Guy drops a very solid 50% on its 2nd weekend. That’s good.

That's really good.
    For NTTD only 50% on the 2nd weekend would be better than SF and SP.

Yes. On the other hand is worth mentioning that a 50% drop from a $90 million opening is a different story compared to a 50% drop from a less than $30 million opening. Anyway that’s really encouraging!
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    There's no chance I will go into a theater for this. What's the ETA on the DVD or release to streaming platforms?
    There's no chance I will go into a theater for this. What's the ETA on the DVD or release to streaming platforms?

Minimum 45 days I'd guess to PVOD - so Thanksgiving. Then Blu-ray/DVD late Dec/early Jan.
    antovolk wrote: »

Minimum 45 days I'd guess to PVOD - so Thanksgiving. Then Blu-ray/DVD late Dec/early Jan.

I think EON doesn't want a streaming- or Blu-ray-release before 2022.
    They want to see the movie still in theatres during the holiday season, I believe.
    And they don't want a digital copy online when the film just got the australian theatrical release in November.
    How is this premiere going to work? I mean I presume everyone attending is vaxxed but surely this means fans can’t congregate outside and ask the stars to pose for selfies and shake hands.

And is everyone going to wear masks while they watch the film in the Royal Albert?
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    How is this premiere going to work? I mean I presume everyone attending is vaxxed but surely this means fans can’t congregate outside and ask the stars to pose for selfies and shake hands.

And is everyone going to wear masks while they watch the film in the Royal Albert?

As there are no covid-rules anymore in England, they can do the premiere like in pre-covid times.

But of course it's not forbidden to wear masks.

Why?

They want to see the movie still in theatres during the holiday season, I believe.
    And they don't want a digital copy online when the film just got the australian theatrical release in November.

hence minimum. But even looking at it pre-COVID, Spectre and Skyfall both landed on home ent in the US in January with a late Oct/early Nov theatrical release.

hence minimum. But even looking at it pre-COVID, Spectre and Skyfall both landed on home ent in the US in January with a late Oct/early Nov theatrical release.

Wonder if they'll try to get NTTD on physical media for Christmas.

Why?
    Well, you think long and hard on it; I'm sure you'll come up with the answer.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Well, if you think long and hard on it I'm sure you'll understand that sitting in a movie theater, with a mask or even two on, is a safer place to stay than most of other public spaces.
    Some folks may choose to avoid public spaces. In the US, one cannot count on the folks around you having been vaccinated, or wearing masks (which you won't know until you pay and go in), or whether they've taken care along the way. Hospital ICU wards are quite full in states where vaccination rates and the rates of taking pre-cautions are low. (Full of people who did not vaccinate, and some die) In other words, in some parts of the US, not a good time to go to public spaces.
    Still, a movie theater* is safer than a restaurant.

And it’s kinda hard to avoid restaurants. :D

*with a reduced capacity, obviously.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Hospital ICU wards are quite full in states where vaccination rates and the rates of taking pre-cautions are low. (Full of people who did not vaccinate, and some die) In other words, in some parts of the US, not a good time to go to public spaces.

But the rate of people getting severe ill or die, when fully vaccinated, is very low.
    So when you yourself are vaccinated, you would not have to be afraid of going to the movies at all, I would say. Not more, than before the pandemic.

As a non-vaccinated person it's a riskier business, of course.
    Point is that with a mask on is almost impossible to get COVID in a movie theater with a reduced capacity.
    Point is that with a mask on is almost impossible to get COVID in a movie theater with a reduced capacity.

And in addition you have air-exchanging systems in almost every cinema.
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-box-office-projection-august-2021

As I’ve been saying over the last couple of months, unfortunately, Bond will be lucky to hit the $500 million mark. Looks like it… :(
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Oh well.

It’s not like this is going to hurt Bond in the long run. It’s understandable why it can’t make its ROI. Every film is “underperforming” so it’s not like people will treat Bond differently.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Well, again, that $928m figure is totally made up and not worth referring to. I have no idea how much money this movie will make, but I don't think anyone else does either. The "average between SF/SP box office multiplied by various restrictions" is just not meaningful.
    "Almost" > not good enough

The $928 figure comes from the return on investment approach, which is different from simply breaking even.

Say you put $20 for a lottery ticket, but you only win $20. You essentially got your money back, but you didn't make MORE money than you spent. That's kind of where MGM is at. If the movie makes $600m, it broke even, but it didn't make anyone richer than they already were.

At least, that's my rough understanding of ROI.
    "Almost" > not good enough

We will never in our lifetime see a time where the risk is down to 0.
    So "almost" is as good as it gets.
    Oh well.

It’s not like this is going to hurt Bond in the long run. It’s understandable why it can’t make its ROI. Every film is “underperforming” so it’s not like people will treat Bond differently.

Underperforming is obviously the new normal. F9 has now crossed the $700 million mark, something NTTD would never remotely achieve given the current times, and that’s still the lowest grossing for a F&F film over the last 10 years (F6 in 2013 almost hit the $800 million mark).
    If Bond ultimately manages to do $700m, that’s impressive given the times. No ifs or buts about it. Saying it didn’t make its ROI will be more of a footnote than a reflection of what a failure it is.
    If Bond ultimately manages to do $700m, that’s impressive given the times. No ifs or buts about it. Saying it didn’t make its ROI will be more of a footnote than a reflection of what a failure it is.

Right.
    If it tops F&F9 it would be the most theatrical seen movie of 2021 (besides the chinese "Hi, Mom") worldwide.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    So many industries have been decimated by the virus. The movie industry is one of them.

I'm sure NTTD will make a lot of money post-theatrical release. MGM et al may just have to re-negotiate deals...perhaps they already have, which might be why we are seeing the release now.