Quick Big Mi6 Music Score Ranking Game

Comments

• Chef's kiss, as they say @Thunderfinger
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Been awhile since I've commented, so I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

QoS I had at #19, so not very close with the group, but I do like it, particularly Night at the Opera. Agreed that it's Arnold's best.

GF I had in the 6th spot and was a little disappointed with the group ranking, but happy it made the top 10.

I was surprised to see FRWL beat GF, as I had it at #12 myself, but no doubt it's a very good score.

DAF was another disappointment, as it was my #4, but hey it wasn't too far off.

I had LALD exactly where it finished at #7 and I'm not ashamed to say I love it, but I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Lastly, I placed TB only one place higher than where it ended up and I agree it's definitely one of Barry's best.
  • As has been so perfectly described already, Barry truly captured the sensation of being on and in (and sometimes soaring high over) the water in Thunderball. It's music that immediately puts you there in the film, whether you're watching the film along with it or not. In addition to his underwater vibes and integration of the themes for "Thunderball" and "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," Barry also produced for this film what's perhaps the most arresting and most aggressive variation of the James Bond theme.

One additional beauty of a cue I haven't seen mentioned yet is "Death of Fiona" with its deceptively sinister dance take on "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" that steadily transforms into a bongo roll of death before snapping back to the cute dance music with all the deftness of Bond letting his friend sit this one out. It's storytelling through music at its finest.

The only factors that prevent Thunderball from climbing into the upper half of my favorite Barrys are the dizzying and quite endless 007 theme variations that dominate the action of the latter half of the film and how the underwater suspense music at times makes such scenes feel several times longer than they actually are. But by and large this score was a fantastic achievement of Barry's and a big step toward even greater Bond scores to come.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    A bit late, but maybe I should write something about why I gave the gold medal to Martin's LALD score and why I enjoy several tracks far more than all other Bond tracks.

When I listen to music, it's usually 19th century symphonies and piano concertos, and I guess Martin's 'soft' brass and his strings come closest to 19th century orchestra harmonies. A bit like the Dvorak sound, perhaps, to name one of my favourite composers.

Every time the 'boat chase' theme kicks in, it elevates the already great scene exceedingly. Apart from the sunny Louisiana/Caribbean locations (and some great action) it's the score that makes this movie, imo.
    I recently listened, for several days, to nothing but 'Whisper who dares'/'James Bond Theme'/'Bond to New York' and enjoyed it immensely. Makes even a taxi drive one of the best and most stylish Bond scenes.
    The instrumental part of the title theme has a great combination of dynamics and sweet melody, and the romantic cues aren't inferior to the franchise's best.

Altogether towering far above all other Bond scores, for me.
    It's odd that George Martin wasn't invited back, especially when John Barry was not available.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    vzok wrote: »
    It's odd that George Martin wasn't invited back, especially when John Barry was not available.

Jon Burlingame's truly epic book "The Music Of James Bond" elaborates on all the choices made, but I can't remember if he also talks about why Martin wasn't asked to return. Time for me to read the book again, I guess. ;-)
  • Excellent post @marc.
    You know the perfect time for George Martin to return would be in '77 for TSWLM. Would have loved to hear what he could have done there.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Jon Burlingame's truly epic book "The Music Of James Bond" elaborates on all the choices made, but I can't remember if he also talks about why Martin wasn't asked to return. Time for me to read the book again, I guess. ;-)

I’ve just had a flick through the book and cant see anything particular about it. I think Saltzman and Broccolli were just loyal to Barry.
    Bill Conti says in a video interview that Barry himself recommended Conti to Cubby Broccoli for FYEO. Being a fan of the FYEO music, I'm happy it worked out that way. I think Conti is a better composer than Martin, while Martin's greatest talent lie in being a producer and arranger, as seen in his amazing work with the Beatles.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Bill Conti says in a video interview that Barry himself recommended Conti to Cubby Broccoli for FYEO. Being a fan of the FYEO music, I'm happy it worked out that way. I think Conti is a better composer than Martin, while Martin's greatest talent lie in being a producer and arranger, as seen in his amazing work with the Beatles.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to side with @Thrasos on this. It's clear now that more people here reject the FYEO score in favour of the LALD score, but Conti is the better composer of these two in my opinion.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Mallory wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I’ve just had a flick through the book and cant see anything particular about it. I think Saltzman and Broccolli were just loyal to Barry.

@Mallory. That is my memory of it as well.

While we may never know all of the details, based on his record, I don’t think that George Martin really saw himself as a composer of film scores in the vein of John Barry, Hans Zimmer, etc. In fact (off the top of my head), I only know of three other George Martin film scores in addition to LALD: A Hard Day’s Night (1964), The Family Way (1966), and Yellow Submarine (1968). And not surprisingly, each involved The Beatles or Paul McCartney (solo).

According to “Some Kind of Hero” (Field, Chowdhury), by 1973 the former head of Apple Records – Ron Kass – was working for Harry Saltzman, and that plus Barry’s unavailability may have been Martin’s “in” (as it were). In addition, Martin did produce the single version of Bassey’s “Goldfinger”, so he was not an unknown to the Bond folks.
    I can easily believe the producers were loyal to Barry. But Hamlisch knew that and was disappointed when he was overlooked the next time JB was unavailable.
    It's weird to think that, even post-the breakup of the Beatles, what with there being no internet and not so much of a focus on "the man behind the band" type people, even just 50 years ago a sizable portion of the general public had no clue who George Martin was.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Excellent post @marc.
    You know the perfect time for George Martin to return would be in '77 for TSWLM. Would have loved to hear what he could have done there.
    You're welcome. Yes, would have been great, although I also like Hamlisch's score a lot.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited July 2021 Posts: 2,630
    It's weird to think that, even post-the breakup of the Beatles, what with there being no internet and not so much of a focus on "the man behind the band" type people, even just 50 years ago a sizable portion of the general public had no clue who George Martin was.

Part of the reason for this is attributable to George Martin himself. Prior to Martin’s work with The Beatles, the “producer” was front and center in deciding a band’s lead singer and in the selection of songs. Early on, however, Martin decided to leave The Beatles self-contained democratic structure pretty much alone. In fact, he was quoted on many occasions as viewing his role as more a “facilitator” than a task master. He also, until 1966 (IIRC) stayed on payroll at EMI as a standard employee, rather than go “independent”, and even then, his role for the artists he produced did not really change.

Another factor was the great success the individual Beatles had post breakup, and with the possible exception of the band “America”, he didn’t really have a ton of high-profile successes – and even then, nothing on the order of his Beatles work. Only later, during the 1980’s – as the Beatles receded into history - did he really speak about those days in depth and fans really come to appreciate his innovations.

Today, record producers are often a “brand” in and upon themselves. And while we can retrospectively assign that label to George Martin, he did not see himself like that.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Time to dive into the top 5 with:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    Music composed by
    JOHN BARRY

91g4H%2BDv-TL._SL1500_.jpg

I counted nine top 5's for TLD: two golds, two silvers, two bronzes, one 4th place and two fifth places.

Eight more top 10's were realised by Barry's swansong to the 007 franchise.

There was also a single bottom 5: a 23rd place.

In total the original music for TLD obtained 162 points.

John Barry won a BMI Film Music Award for this one. It was also nominated for an FMCJ Award for "Best Re-release of a Previously Existing Score" .
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited July 2021 Posts: 2,022
    TLD is a very good Bond score but top 5? Not so sure.
    In any case, anything else but YOLT and OHMSS finishing in the top two spots would be a travesty.
    These two are unsurpassable masterworks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It came in at #20 for me. Personal feelings aside, I'm very surprised it made the Top 5 somehow.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,312
    I can enjoy the TLD soundtrack, because it works in cues from not 1 but 2 great songs, one very energetic (the A-Ha tune) with 80ies drum machine sounds that work great in action scenes (and have aged only a little) and another (Pretenders) that, with its waltzy bits, fits perfectly for Bond and Kara falling in love in Vienna. I agree with Birdleson that the James Bond theme is underused. But I never realized that when watching the film. The soundtrack keeps the suspense going.

But not all is well here - how can MR be better than this???
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,564
    Oh, I absolutely love this score. I think Barry goes out with a bang. I find the theme song awesome; and what's more, Barry mixes it so delightfully well with the rest of the score. When I got my hands on that (almost) complete score release by Ryke discs in the very early 2000s, I could just cry of sheer happiness.

I love every bit of this score, including If There Was A Man and Where Has Everybody Gone and how these songs were absorbed into the score. Then there's that musically dramatic takeoff of the jet in Austria, followed by that little victory tune, followed then by the Bond theme is just an outstanding piece of work.

The action music that Barry provides for both the PTS and Bond's snowy escape with Kara has a really cool beat to it. Though slightly more experimental than usual and somewhat at risk of sounding a tad repetitive, this music is actually quite adequate when it comes to showing off with the new Bond.

Especially when Bond rides deeper into Afganistan, Barry elicits an emotional response from me that works the magic every time. The music he composed for the blowing up of the bridge is unbelievably powerful. And when Kara sneaks back into her room right before the end credits, and Barry's soft strings start playing ever so gently, I just wish I was there.

I had this score at #2.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Excellent to see TLD in top 5.

I don’t think anyone can argue with YOLT, OHMSS, and MR being the holy trinity of Bond scores.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2021 Posts: 6,791
    I'm a big fan of this one too. My favourite of the Barry scores, so by definition I'd say this is the best Bond score.

Love how Barry uses the three original songs in equal measures throughout the score. I also like the mix of traditional instruments with synth elements.

Happy it made the top 5!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Another problem for me is that I greatly dislike the title song (which is revisited throughout the film). Only NSNA and ATH are more unpleasant to my ears.

I've always enjoyed this song more than LALD. ;-)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,312
    While All Times High and NSNA are utter drivel, indeed, in my opinion Living Daylights is quite a clever composition. It has a driving beat that perfectly fits much of the action and immediately gets me in the mood for "new Bond" Dalton. Maybe you have to be a child of the 80s to enjoy this kind of music.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    My #2. Glad to see it do so well as I wasn't expecting it to crack the top 5. I love it.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Had it in the 11th spot. I quite like it, but am unsure about top 5 status. Still, Barry was able to make each score unique while keeping his trademark sound. That's not easy to achieve and of course people's preferences will vary. Trade winds.
    I do dig the title song, it's very catchy to me, and might've even bumped the score a couple ranks if we were taking it into account.
    This score has 3 great songs which Barry uses well throughout the movie. The music as the three 00s jump from the plane is sublime.
    This score has 3 great songs which Barry uses well throughout the movie. The music as the three 00s jump from the plane is sublime.

That's one of my favorite musical moments from the series, I'd say.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    There are some wonderful comments about your favourite scores. I'm not such a music pro like others here and I have most of the time not the slightest idea which instruments are used in which specific scene... Good that I can learn from others.

I ranked TLD as my #4, on a par with OHMSS (5). I only prefer two other scores from Barry: AVTAK and (especially) YOLT. All of them have some very catchy, even epic melodies. One of many moments I love so much in TLD is the music during the prison fight and the already mentioned moment when the bridge is destoyed is awesome, too.

I'm really wondering where Zimmer's score would end in this game. I hope it will be a top 10 score but the competition is very tough.