Z is For sleep: your WORST movie EVER

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The Grey was ok. I Am Legend was rubbish.

I have it on good authority that I Am Legend is in fact a masterpiece.

The Omega Man is the masterpiece mate.

You're out of the loop on this one, @barryt007. Now I know what M feels like dealing with the cheeky bastard of Craig Bond.

I called the film a masterpiece of its genre, by the way, @Mendes4Lyfe, so it would do you well to quote someone correctly while attempting to be cheeky. At least I didn't call it the film of the century.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,894
    The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Miss Osbourne (1981). I can't think of another film off the top of my head, where I stopped watching the film long before the ending.

Edge Of Sanity was also a lurid take on the Jekyll & Hyde story, but it makes the seedyness work in it's favour. The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Miss Osbourne, on the other hand, is a horrid film.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited June 2021 Posts: 6,716
    I was thinking about another film I dislike, The Seventh Victim. While the atmosphere is pretty cool and there are some interesting ideas at play regarding the character of Jacqueline, a couple of major things in the film are so underdeveloped or absurd that it ends up being terrible.

Edit: Things like a romance that comes out of nowhere, and a bunch of devil worshippers that abhor personally inflicting violence, but are fine with sending other people to do their dirty work. But especially --especially-- a scene in which one of the good guys recites the Lord's Prayer to them, and the head of the evil group, who only a moment ago was so confident in his convictions, lowers his head and looks repentant while uplifting music plays. I didn't know Satanists were so weak-willed!

The_Seventh_Victim-866377849-large.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tenet: I wish I walked out (and I am a fan of Nolan). He should have watched Inception to see how world-building is done, and, although character has never been his strong suit, there were no characters in Tenet. Just caricatures.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    peter wrote: »
    Tenet: I wish I walked out (and I am a fan of Nolan). He should have watched Inception to see how world-building is done, and, although character has never been his strong suit, there were no characters in Tenet. Just caricatures.

Can't comment on Tenet since I haven't felt an urge to see it, regardless of Corona. But I'm definitely not a fan of Nolan's. I liked Memento, thought Insomnia was ok. thought Batman Begins was the best Batman film ever, but thought the other two of the franchise grew gradually worse. Inception seemed ok, but Interstellarwas positively and idiotically pretentious crap. I even bought the Blu-ray of Dunkirk, but haven't watched it yet. Maybe I shouldn't. He's had hits and misses for me, but the misses alone make him the most overrated director in history, replacing James Cameron.
  • Tenet was a pretty rough one. No real characterization, warbled or drowned out dialogue serving only to obfuscate the narrative, and no standout set piece either to make it worth the while for those who don't intend to study the screenplay and rewatch the film five times to work out the deliberately tangled storyline. The movie's basically a string of Christmas lights you have to spend an afternoon tediously unwinding. Other things I'd rather do.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I've heard it said that Highlander 2 is the worst movie ever....
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    I have a very long list of what I consider the worst movie ever, but my main offender is....

Love Actually - A movie so schmaltzy and saccharine laced that it made me want to puke as a 19 year old when one day (a Friday afternoon), my college year was forcibly subjected to Hugh Grant, Martine McCutcheon, Bill Nighy, and that guy from The Walking Dead demean themselves with a rom-com. I needed repeated viewings of Aliens to cleanse my eyeballs of the previous sickly sweet love fest.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero you nailed my feelings with the Christmas lights analogy. Put a smile on my face, 😂!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The movie's basically a string of Christmas lights you have to spend an afternoon tediously unwinding. Other things I'd rather do.
    Like actually spending an afternoon tediously unwinding a string of Christmas lights.

chrisisall wrote: »
    I know its reputation, but I want to watch it. It just seems fun to me (that Katana scene in the subway...). And the premise of Highlander is enjoyable in that it allows a film to take place in the 16th century as well as in the future. I only need to decide which cut to go with.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

The "renegade cut" is pretty awesome when viewed today. It's got that nostalgic "bad sci-fi" vibe from way back when. Just don't take any of it seriously. It's not that kind of film. ;-)
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 6,844
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero you nailed my feelings with the Christmas lights analogy. Put a smile on my face, 😂!

Haha, I'm glad. It's an apt metaphor!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The movie's basically a string of Christmas lights you have to spend an afternoon tediously unwinding. Other things I'd rather do.
    Like actually spending an afternoon tediously unwinding a string of Christmas lights.

Hey, you could do 'em both at the same time!
    I have a very long list of what I consider the worst movie ever, but my main offender is....

Love Actually - A movie so schmaltzy and saccharine laced that it made me want to puke as a 19 year old when one day (a Friday afternoon), my college year was forcibly subjected to Hugh Grant, Martine McCutcheon, Bill Nighy, and that guy from The Walking Dead demean themselves with a rom-com. I needed repeated viewings of Aliens to cleanse my eyeballs of the previous sickly sweet love fest.

It's schmaltzy, yes, but my everyone was on fire in that film. From Alan Rickman to Emma Thompson to Colin Firth to Hugh Grant to Liam Neeson to Rowan Atkinson to Bill Nighy to Laura Linney. I'll put up with the schmaltz for all those great performances.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I still haven't even watched Highlander 1, but history shows that sequels aren't necessarily as good or better than the original. Possible exceptions to this rule are The Godfather II, maybe Aliens, The Empire Strikes Back. Not to mention individual Bond movies better than Dr. No. But given the sheer number of movies turning into franchises, these are certainly exceptions.
  • The Courier, 2019. What an embarrassingly awful film. Gary Oldman was really scraping the barrel. Yeah, Highlander 2 is shockingly bad too. As is The Exorcist 2. I'd also put forward Die Another Day. I know, it's only one. Sorry.
    Exorcist 2 is an unintended comedic gem, a laughoutloud fun fest full of hillarious nonsense.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    That Tony Scott film, 'Domino' about a female bounty hunter was pretty grim.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,687
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Exorcist 2 is an unintended comedic gem, a laughoutloud fun fest full of hillarious nonsense.

Yes, it's full of MST3K fun to be had...
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 15,801
    Although extremely popular and there's several sequels upcoming, my least favorite movie of all time is.......

Just not my cup of tea.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Although extremely popular and there's several sequels upcoming, my least favorite movie of all time is.......

Just not my cup of tea.

Then I take it you've never seen Forbidden Zone, Highlander 2, American Hot Wax, Deer Hunter or Steel Magnolias-? ;)

Just not my cup of tea.

Then I take it you've never seen Forbidden Zone, Highlander 2, American Hot Wax, Deer Hunter or Steel Magnolias-? ;)

LOL. Didn't care for those either. I think I missed American Hot Wax.
    I agree , the movie 2012 was just waste of time , nice SFX but that's about it
  • peterpeter Toronto

Just not my cup of tea.

@ToTheRight … I couldn’t stand the first film. Beautiful visuals, but that’s about it— for me.

Just not my cup of tea.

@ToTheRight … I couldn’t stand the first film. Beautiful visuals, but that’s about it— for me.

I'm a bit biased towards the film. Back in '09, I was dating someone who couldn't stand Bond, yet thought AVATAR was the greatest movie she'd ever seen. It didn't last needless to say. :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,864
    Tenet would be my biggest offender of recent films. Mindless set pieces with no character integration. Dull.
    Quite a surprise from Nolan, as he usually has all the boxes ticked.
    Wonder Woman 1984. After the rather good first film, this was just a lot of meh!
    Films like this are supposed to be fun. This was well below par. Disappointing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »
    Tenet would be my biggest offender of recent films. Mindless set pieces with no character integration. Dull.
    Quite a surprise from Nolan, as he usually has all the boxes ticked.
    Wonder Woman 1984. After the rather good first film, this was just a lot of meh!
    Films like this are supposed to be fun. This was well below par. Disappointing.

Tenet was a masterpiece, but agreed about WW84. It was like something Neil Breen could have made.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,787
    That Tony Scott film, 'Domino' about a female bounty hunter was pretty grim.

Based on a true story too, about the actor Laurence Harvey's daughter, Domino Harvey. Perhaps that adds to the grimness?
    The Goonies. Two hours of annoying American brat kids screaming and shouting. Why is it so many directors think that kids screaming and shouting at everything is funny. It's not, it's just bloody annoying. It's like putting a bucket on your head and getting someone to bash it with a hammer for two hours
  • cooperman2 wrote: »
    The Goonies. Two hours of annoying American brat kids screaming and shouting. Why is it so many directors think that kids screaming and shouting at everything is funny. It's not, it's just bloody annoying. It's like putting a bucket on your head and getting someone to bash it with a hammer for two hours

This is apparently one of those movies you had to have seen as a kid to have fallen in love with it. I watched it as an adult and could not see the appeal. The scrapped giant octopus attack sounds like it might have made the movie more interesting though.
    cooperman2 wrote: »

My 'thesis' would be that only if you've ever loved this film as a child, can you love it as an adult. I agree about the screaming and shouting. It's as if Donner fed those kids a diet of Red Bull and sugar.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,554
    One of the few films I literally walked out on. I don't know what was dumber: the film or me buying a ticket to see it.

512lS2JOIxL._AC_.jpg