Z is For sleep: your WORST movie EVER

Comments

There a couple of films I can barely stand to watch. Any interesting ideas or elements they might feature just can't make up for the experience of watching them. I find them grating, really. They are Sleuth (1972) and The Fisher King. I'm sure I've seen worse, but I don't remember which.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Fisher King is one of my favourites.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    The Grey and I Am Legend. Loathe both films with a passion.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Supernova (2000) starring James Spader, Angela Bassett, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Pater Faccinelli. Director Walter Hill refused to put his name on it: that should have been a sign right there.

Indy IV, even though I deny its very own existence.

It´s the worst cause it did the worst thing, ruin Indiana Jones.

DUD comes in second for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Remington wrote: »

Enjoyed The Grey (need to give it a rewatch) but absolutely love I Am Legend.
  • I Am Legend was chiefly a disappointment because of its absolutely abominable uses of CGI. Other than that, the music, the atmosphere, Will Smith's performance...all good. But I cannot get my head around the fact he's being chased by cartoons. I presume it's these other things along with the story that compel you, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I'd recommend Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth which is a faithful and moody 1960s adaptation of the same novel/novella and above all else the novel itself if you haven't read it—it's a favorite.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I Am Legend was chiefly a disappointment because of its absolutely abominable uses of CGI. Other than that, the music, the atmosphere, Will Smith's performance...all good. But I cannot get my head around the fact he's being chased by cartoons. I presume it's these other things along with the story that compel you, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I'd recommend Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth which is a faithful and moody 1960s adaptation of the same novel/novella and above all else the novel itself if you haven't read it—it's a favorite.

@Some_Kind_Of_Hero, I don't have an issue with CGI that some do with the film. I've seen far worse in movies that just came out in the last couple of years. It's not about the effects so I don't get bothered by it and I think some if it is actually quite great, like some of the close ups of the creatures, not to spoil anything.

But yes, it's the story that is compelling to me when it comes to I Am Legend. It's a great premise, where we get to see one man living life on his own and get to see just what that lonely and existential experience would be like. We see him walking around abandoned homes, crossing property lines to get what he needs, not trusting anything around him and always searching for contact; I feel his isolation. I also love the moments where Neville sets up mannequins and pretends they're real; we can see the cracks forming in his psyche, of what being alone has done to him and why he must pretend that he isn't alone. He also pops in old taping of shows to give his life some normalcy, to distract from the crumbled world he exists in. As a fan of quiet character studies with an existential edge, I find the film a very well crafted and clever one with a nice use of theme and motif as well as the messages it delivers of hope and understanding.

I think it's one of Will's better performances too, around a time in his career that was really challenging and full of great dramatic roles. My favorite of all his performances was from a year before this movie, in The Pursuit of Happyness. I miss that Will.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I quite enjoyed I Am Legend but I haven't seen it in ages. Can't stand the ending, I much prefer the alternate ending. CGI wasn't too bad but I did prefer it when Johnny Depp was slated to play the lead vampire and the effects for the other vampires would be done via prosthetics and makeup. I always heavily appreciate the effort with that in the end.

I liked The Grey but was definitely disappointed by the ending, especially since the trailers show you what was originally going to happen and you spend the whole film waiting for that moment. Despite it, it's well directed, shot and acted. Always a fan of Liam Neeson.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Thought I was the only person on this planet who thought The Grey was a load of overrated bilge.

"Shall we stay sheltered from the elements and the Wolves in the wrecked Plane fuselage and wait to be rescued or shall we venture out into the wilderness......uum..."

"Oh what a surprise, we've all died!!!!"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Grey was ok. I Am Legend was rubbish.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 7,653
    I am legend was awful I prefer Hestons take with the Omega man, in which the content is closer to the original book, which is brilliant.

Most of Smiths scifi movies have been dire, I kind of not watch his movies if he is headlining them.
    I'm very surprised to see Birdman and Sleuth (1972) mentioned....both great films to me.
    @barryt007 Have you seen the Sleuth remake? If so, what did you think of it?
    mattjoes wrote: »

No ,never bothered with it ..I had heard bad things about it and didn't think it was necessary.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Batman23 wrote: »
    The Wicker man (the Nicolos Cage one )
    lol that movie is awful

A really bad film that actually got worse as it went on. Watched in open-mouthed horror.
    "BITCHES!" so, so bad (loved the original though).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed I Am Legend but I haven't seen it in ages. Can't stand the ending, I much prefer the alternate ending. CGI wasn't too bad but I did prefer it when Johnny Depp was slated to play the lead vampire and the effects for the other vampires would be done via prosthetics and makeup. I always heavily appreciate the effort with that in the end.

Have you read the book? If not you should, you're opinion of the film will surely go down after reading it. Could have been so good…
    I've not seen that film but I have watched the Nostalgia Critic review of it.

The repeated truck collision flashback in random locations is hilarious.
    The Omega Man is 100000% better than I am Legend.
    By its main actor,Chuck Heston, and Antony Zerbe alone,even before we get to the atmosphere ,plot and script etc..
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    barryt007 wrote: »

No ,never bothered with it ..I had heard bad things about it and didn't think it was necessary.

I saw both and thought that the Branagh remake might have been ok, were it not for the obvious urge to constantly compare it to the 1972 Mankiewicz classic (not Tom! his father), which is rather brilliant in my book and probably in my top tier of movies overall rather than anywhere remotely close to the bottom. Both, of course, are really just film adaptations of an intimate theater play, so if one expects action rather than acting, I can see why one does not take too kindly to either. And then, combining the talents of Michael Caine and Jude Law simply does not add up to the same level as combining Caine with Laurence Olivier.

Have you read the book? If not you should, you're opinion of the film will surely go down after reading it. Could have been so good…

I have not, but I've no doubt of that. The book is almost always better, and if I wanted a proper edition I could fire up the Heston version instead. I'm sure I Am Legend dips pretty far from the source material.
    There's also the Vincent Price version, The last Man on Earth, which is rather good. But then, it's Vincent Price, right ?
    Gerard wrote: »
    There's also the Vincent Price version, The last Man on Earth, which is rather good. But then, it's Vincent Price, right ?

Exactly. I've only caught bits and pieces of this before, but as you said - it's Price, so I can only surmise the entire film is rather good.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I have it on good authority that I Am Legend is in fact a masterpiece.

I have it on good authority that I Am Legend is in fact a masterpiece.

The Omega Man is the masterpiece mate.

I have not, but I've no doubt of that. The book is almost always better, and if I wanted a proper edition I could fire up the Heston version instead. I'm sure I Am Legend dips pretty far from the source material.

The Heston film goes way off too, but is still a watchable film. Do recommend you check out the book though.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

The book (or novella) 'I Am Legend' is well worth reading. Neither of the adaptations are particularly faithful to it.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

Exactly. I've only caught bits and pieces of this before, but as you said - it's Price, so I can only surmise the entire film is rather good.

It is quite good. Very much so a precursor to Romero's Night of the Living Dead, and scene for scene probably the most faithful adaptation of Matheson's novel. A highlight is Vincent Price sitting by himself with the vampires moaning outside and pounding at his door: he begins to laugh, first softly, then madly, and gradually his laughter turns to sobbing. A bit slow in parts, especially during the long flashback in the middle, but again, probably the closest approximation of the book. And yes, if you really want the I Am Legend experience, you'll have to just read it.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

I saw both and thought that the Branagh remake might have been ok, were it not for the obvious urge to constantly compare it to the 1972 Mankiewicz classic (not Tom! his father), which is rather brilliant in my book and probably in my top tier of movies overall rather than anywhere remotely close to the bottom. Both, of course, are really just film adaptations of an intimate theater play, so if one expects action rather than acting, I can see why one does not take too kindly to either. And then, combining the talents of Michael Caine and Jude Law simply does not add up to the same level as combining Caine with Laurence Olivier.

The original Sleuth had a promising premise, but its execution has a number of problems:
    - The film's first part (the robbery) is just too riddled with dialogue. I like dialogue, but when it comes at such rapid rate, there is not enough time to have it register and relish it. It just becomes words being shot at you with a machine gun.
    - Milo, without any convincing context or explanation being provided, starts jumping frantically when he puts on the clown disguise. Furthermore, this goes against the calm, collected presence he projects at the beginning of the film. This sort of theatrical approach might be suited for the stage, but in a film, without an explanation for it, it just seems strange.
    - The disguise of Inspector Doppler doesn't work. The voice, the eyes and the accent give it away. These scenes are much better written than the first act's, but Wyke looks foolish talking with the guy and not realizing who he actually is. While I understand this may have, to some degree, been intended by the filmmakers (making the characters look a big pathetic by engaging in these games), it just undermines the level of investment one might have on the characters and the events unfolding, something important to preserve in a film that hopes to generate some level of suspense.
    - Between the part with Doppler and the part with the object-finding game, the film's narrative stops and starts in such a way that dramatic momentum is lost. For a while, the movie has nowhere to go, or at least it feels like it.
    - The shots of the dolls "watching" the characters grow a bit monotonous as the film goes along.

The remake shares plenty of problems with the original, and adds a new one: Wyke's character is undermined by thinking his strategy of seducing Milo had a chance of working, at least when nothing he tells him sounds especially convincing and especially different from anything he's told him before. On the other hand, crucially, the film's dialogue sounds and flows much better (thank you, Pinter). Also, Milo is an actor in this version, and his flamboyant behavior is better accomodated into his character than in the original film. The disguise is a bit more convincing (even though it's very difficult to fully overcome). And there are no shots of dolls; instead, there is a redesigned house, with moving walls and fluctuating light patterns. It feels, appropriately, like a funhouse of sorts.

Oh, and Caine as Wyke is less grating than Olivier as Wyke, with his ever-changing voice and accent.