Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Even with it's iconic status, GF does nothing for me. FRWL would've put up a better fight, but in the end, it still would've gone the same way...

TLD.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I am actually going with TLD as well.

I watched GF more recently and it just didn't get me into the Bond mood that much. Granted, I was sleepy that day after hardly any rest, and watching the scenes where Bond does literally nothing were hard to watch. It reminds me of The Great Gatsby, where the protagonist goes to different locations doing little to nothing in between. Bond has such a monotonous film, being jailed and paraded around in Kentucky in the latter half bending to Goldfinger's plots. He only succeeds when almost all else goes wrong, and Goldfinger almost gets the last laugh. In DN and FRWL, there are those great moments where Bond checks his hotel room, and snuffs out traitors with spy instinct. That is largely absent in GF. He gets beat out by Oddjob, gets knocked out at least 5 or 6 times, to the point where you could get drunk playing "take a shot" every time Bond goes lights out. He gets captured soooo many times it becomes dull and uninteresting, and at the end of the film you see Bond hardly succeeded at all. His victory was Pyritic, where he won the battle, but at a large cost to himself and his peers. I respect the trends it started, with the DB5, the car gadgets, the verbal Bond themes, but that isn't enough. It has Sean, Bond's best suit, Pussy (both the woman and the anatomy ;) ), and some cool Bond moments and quotes, but it still doesn't succeed like Connery other Bond films circa 1962-63, and 65. When compared the masterpieces of DN, FRWL, TB, and in this instance, TLD, GF just can't stand stand up, no matter how classic people want to tell themselves it is.
    Grrrr....this is a tough one alright.

But in the end it has to be <b>Goldfinger</b>. It, along with the other first 4 Connery films set the benchmark so high for what a Bond film could be.

Goldfinger, along with all the Connery films tower above any <b>John Glen</b> directed production any day.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I love GF. Connery at his best, and it's my 4th or 5th favourite overall (I need to rewatch TSWLM and GF).

But up against Dalton, nothing compares. His two films are in a league of their own. Daylights was one of the first films I ever saw, my first Bond film, my first trip to the cinema, it was my favourite up until I saw LTK. It also holds alot of emotional value for me. Top it of with some great gadgets and action, a great cold war plot, a great memorable henchman, a crazed military villian, hot girls and an amazing performance from my favourite James Bond, and you have a masterpiece.

TLD.
    GOLDFINGER of course.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The Living Daylights
    GF
    Saaahhh-weeet! We've got a killer match going right now! What an awesome way to restart this thread!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ah such an iconic classic with Goldfinger, but for me I am going to saying TLD. I think overall a better film and I enjoy it more. Good match up, though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Living Daylights!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It appears TLD is in the lead, as of now. This was still a good choice, @00Beast, made me think about it for a little while, at least.
  • DB5DB5
    Oh this is a tough call! I love both films. GF was the first Bond movie I ever saw when i was nine years old. I've seen it countless times since then. I agree that the part between Bond on the laser table and the fight with Oddjob at Fort Knox drags. But everything else is top notch. On the other hand I love Dalton's take on Bond, and the first part of the film really engages you. In a very close decision though, I have to give it to the movie that mafde me a Bond fan, Goldfinger.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Aaaaaaaahhhaaaa The Living Daylights!!!!

Here's why... Dalton, John Barry and Miriam d'Abo.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    There can be only one film to choose in this match.

The Living Daylights.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Oh thank goodness you're back 00Beast. Some weirdo was trying to take over and start a FRWL vs DAD contest.

As for the match at hand, I will vote for The Living Daylights because Afghani opium tastes better on Wheaties than banana flavored heroin.

Or so I've heard.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Kerim wrote:
    Oh thank goodness you're back 00Beast. Some weirdo was trying to take over and start a FRWL vs DAD contest.

As for the match at hand, I will vote for The Living Daylights because Afghani opium tastes better on Wheaties than banana flavored heroin.

Or so I've heard.

@Kerim, these are the moments where I am proudest to know you here on MI6.
  • Much as I love TLD, the king is in the house.

Goldfinger

And getting psyched to see it on the big screen Sunday. Probably 40 years since I last saw it like that.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, just the opening and the first notes of Bassey singing that song - seeing it on the big screen with theatre sound - would be enough to give me chills. I've never seen Goldfinger in a theatre; I'd love to.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well, just the opening and the first notes of Bassey singing that song - seeing it on the big screen with theatre sound - would be enough to give me chills. I've never seen Goldfinger in a theatre; I'd love to.

While it wasn't very extravagant, I used to host weekly movie nights at my college, and I did a GF and CR double feature in a smaller theatre. It was pretty enjoyable; small crowd, fortunately, so there was no talking. They hosted 'Insidious' there one night, and it was honestly one of the worst movie goings I've ever experienced because of the talking.
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS!
    (GF is a little boring, and Honor Blackman is too old)
    Very close but GF wins.

List of ratings.
    GF - 4.
    TLD - 5.
    Ah this is a tough one. A year ago I would've choosen The Living Daylights in a heartbeat but after rewatching it last month it just didn't have the same punch it used to. Im a huge Daltonite but Im gonna have to go with Goldfinger.
    Two gilt edged Bonds up against each other.

I go with Daylights.

GF is class, top notch etc..

But Daylights has the 'murder at the Prater' scene which is one of my favourites.
    Benny wrote:
    There can be only one film to choose in this match.

The Living Daylights.

God, I miss Patrick Allen doing the trailer voiceovers for the British version.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Living Daylights.

I'm a Daltonite. Sue me.
    Huge Dalton and TLD fan that I am, I will have to go for Goldfinger.

Frankly, despite TLD being excellent, there isn't really any competition here.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TLD. Better made film, no Shirley Bassey, no Goldfinger, no Guy Hamilton.
    I would rather look directly into the sun than watch Goldfinger more often than not

The Living Daylights is just about better on every level, but does share some similarities, i.e a dull, bland and uninteresting Bond girl, a most supreme and convincing James Bond and an arch nemesis who's a bit of a heavyweight lard ass threat, and also the music by Bassey and A-HA respectively is sort of not too bad a listen, but nothing special. Also, Bond goes up in the skies for both and has to make an emergency escape, but all said, The Living Daylights is a clear winner
    I'm horrified that TLD is somehow winning this match-up! Goldfinger is clearly the better film in every conceivable way: better actors, better story, better time period, better villian, better henchmen, better Bond girls, and above all, a better Bond. Goldfinger is the quite possibly the best Bond film ever made, while TLD is quite possibly one of the most mediocre, if not worst Bonds ever made. This is the easiest choice any sain human can make, Goldfinger by lightyears!!!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    while TLD is quite possibly one of the most mediocre, if not worst Bonds ever made.

You were doing quite well up until that remark.