Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

By problem with TLD is that except for Timothy Dalton as James Bond everything else about the movie is more-or-less forgettable. Boring Bond girl, some of the weakest villans in the series, bland credits and song, and hands down the worst Felix Leiter. Jonathan Rhys Davies is good but gets too little screentime. Had this movie not had it's one saving grace in Dalton and starred a babyfaced Pierce Brosnan it could've been horrible.

IDK I used to like TLD alot more. It just hasn't aged well for me. I prefer LTK.
    This one's close. I'll go with TLD, just because of Maurice Binder and the better PTS.
    14. Goldfinger
    13. The Living Daylights
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    By problem with TLD is that except for Timothy Dalton as James Bond everything else about the movie is more-or-less forgettable. Boring Bond girl, some of the weakest villans in the series, bland credits and song, and hands down the worst Felix Leiter. Jonathan Rhys Davies is good but gets too little screentime. Had this movie not had it's one saving grace in Dalton and starred a babyfaced Pierce Brosnan it could've been horrible.

IDK I used to like TLD alot more. It just hasn't aged well for me. I prefer LTK.

I agree with you on these. I also thought JDB was FARRR better suited to play Jack Wade in GE. Somehow him as a villain doesn't really...feel right. BUT the kitchen fight between Necros/Green4 is pretty memorable and Dalton wasn't in sight.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm going with TLD for this round. GF's a great movie but I do think it's overrated.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TLD much better film, Bond doesn't spend half the film captured and although the PTS is not as good as GF (it's saving grace) it's definitely one of the best of the series and a cracking intro for Timothy.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I've never understood why GF gets the bashing it does on these boards.

Bond actor - GF
    Bond girl - GF
    Song - GF
    Baddie - GF
    Action - Hmm...TLD (but a close call)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    I'm going with TLD for this round. GF's a great movie but I do think it's overrated.

I do find it (GF) overrated as well. And following on from FRWL, GF comes off as a bit wolly jumper by comparison. It feels like Bond has lost that edge that he had in FRWL.

There really is no contest, TLD wins easily.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I'm horrified that TLD is somehow winning this match-up! Goldfinger is clearly the better film in every conceivable way: better actors, better story, better time period, better villian, better henchmen, better Bond girls, and above all, a better Bond. Goldfinger is the quite possibly the best Bond film ever made, while TLD is quite possibly one of the most mediocre, if not worst Bonds ever made. This is the easiest choice any sain human can make, Goldfinger by lightyears!!!

While I completely disagree with your assessment of Dalts and TLD, both of which are excellent, I do agree that it is very weird to see so many people on a Bond forum placing TLD above GF. I don't understand where this dislike of GF is coming from. First GE wins over Spy in the previous round and now GF gets a kicking and placed below TLD.

Any outsider looking in and reading half these posts would assume the world's gone mad! GF is one of THE definitive Bond movies. Overrated? Total insanity.
    Both good Bond movies, but I have to give my vote to Goldfinger.
    @Getafix Goldfinger is just a plain and simple, dull and boring James Bond release. I'm a big fan of Bond as we all are, but the truth be told, it's a wasted two hours of some watchers time as Connery spends half the duration sitting around or looking bored, it only livens up at the end when they arrive at Kentucky and the Fort Knox finale, but it is a rather long wait until the end, Blackman's Pussy Galore character does nothing at all to liven things up and just weighs it down with some more banal and uninteresting scenes and character, I really fail to see the furore this 1964 release causes sometimes
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I've never understood why GF gets the bashing it does on these boards.

Bond actor - GF
    Bond girl - GF
    Song - GF
    Baddie - GF
    Action - Hmm...TLD (but a close call)

The only thing I agree with is baddie and action.

I think GF gets bashed alot by the people who hate all the unrealistic films, since without it we probably wouldn't have had any. I like GF, it's my favourite Connery film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,513
    How can action be compared, though? I do love and enjoy GF, but aside from the PTS, a short car chase, Bond sneaking into the plant, and the finale, that's about all the action we see.
  • while TLD is quite possibly one of the most mediocre, if not worst Bonds ever made.

You were doing quite well up until that remark.

I have to agree. GF is my #1, but TLD is a top 5 Bond film to me and many others. It isn't GF, but still a great film and a classic to me.
    @Getafix Goldfinger is just a plain and simple, dull and boring James Bond release. I'm a big fan of Bond as we all are, but the truth be told, it's a wasted two hours of some watchers time as Connery spends half the duration sitting around or looking bored, it only livens up at the end when they arrive at Kentucky and the Fort Knox finale, but it is a rather long wait until the end, Blackman's Pussy Galore character does nothing at all to liven things up and just weighs it down with some more banal and uninteresting scenes and character, I really fail to see the furore this 1964 release causes sometimes

Errr... yeah. Right.

Just as long as you ignore a magnificent Barry song and score, beautiful iconic title credits, possibly the best PTS in the series, a endless string of classic lines, Connery at his physical peak, the DB5, Gert Frobe, Oddjob, some of the most iconic and memorable production designs ever from Ken Adam (including the laser room, ranch and Fort Knox sets), some of the best Bond girls AND vintage scenes with Q, M and Moneypenny.

TLD is absolutely one of my favourite Bond movies but there is no conceivable way in which I could ever describe it as superior to GF.

I mean seriously, what on earth is going on around here?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:

Errr... yeah. Right.

Just as long as you ignore a magnificent Barry song and score, beautiful iconic title credits, possibly the best PTS in the series, a endless string of classic lines, Connery at his physical peak, the DB5, Gert Frobe, Oddjob, some of the most iconic and memorable production designs ever from Ken Adam (including the laser room, ranch and Fort Knox sets), some of the best Bond girls AND vintage scenes with Q, M and Moneypenny.

TLD is absolutely one of my favourite Bond movies but there is no conceivable way in which I could ever describe it as superior to GF.

I don't think Sean was at his physical peak in GF! He didn't do anything the entire time! Was he flexing his muscles in his cell the whole film? The PTS one of the best? Ha! It makes no sense at all. The only good thing is the last bit, and Bond in a dinner jacket, which only Sean could pull off.
    'Best pre credits sequence'

'Connery at his most peak of condition'

'endless string of classic lines'

'some of the best Bond girls'

Someone was obviously watching a different movie to me is all I can add

From the moment 007 (what could be the best James Bond ever) emerges from some water with a plastic duck on his head, it's all downhill, until near the very end and a decent sequence at the Fort Knox depository, it's a largely forgettable series release

I will not, and can not, buy into the hype this third Bond release generates sometimes
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:

Errr... yeah. Right.

I love GF but I think Daylights is a better film. So what? I think GF is unfairly praised as the greatest Bond film ever in the media and everything, it's good, I like it and without it the series might not even have gotten this far, but parts of it are pretty boring.
  • Love it or hate it, if it was not for Goldfinger, there would not have been the resulting "Bondmania" that made the series iconic and enduring. So if you're one who doesn't like Goldfinger, which is your choice, at the least show some respect and give it the credit it deserves.
    Love it or hate it, if it was not for Goldfinger, there would not have been the resulting "Bondmania" that made the series iconic and enduring.

That's sort of my point. I like GF, but I think people overrate it because it started the whole Bond formula that made the films so popular. But just because it started the formula in no way does it mean it was the first to perfect it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote:

I do find it (GF) overrated as well. And following on from FRWL, GF comes off as a bit wolly jumper by comparison. It feels like Bond has lost that edge that he had in FRWL.

Agreed. This is where the silliness really took off and yes, I agree, Bond did lose a bit of his raw edge in this film. Something about him lacked the serious determination he had on he 2 previous films.

'Best pre credits sequence'

'Connery at his most peak of condition'

'endless string of classic lines'

'some of the best Bond girls'

Someone was obviously watching a different movie to me is all I can add

From the moment 007 (what could be the best James Bond ever) emerges from some water with a plastic duck on his head, it's all downhill, until near the very end and a decent sequence at the Fort Knox depository, it's a largely forgettable series release

I will not, and can not, buy into the hype this third Bond release generates sometimes

Tough for the Daltonites when TLD is mostly a forgotten 007 movie and Goldfinger is the sheer classic that did create "the formula". Only in the mind of small group of people that are blind for any form of reality is TD and his two movies worth anything. Even Lazenby's effort is better remembered.

Even Sean Connery as 007 in itself is better than anything TLD has to offer.

Of course IMHO. O:-)

doubleoego wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Agreed. This is where the silliness really took off and yes, I agree, Bond did lose a bit of his raw edge in this film. Something about him lacked the serious determination he had on he 2 previous films.

The 'silliness' (if that's what you want to call it) is part of what came to define Bond and make him such an enduring and global success.

I don't understand some people's obsession with 'seriousness', as if Bond would ever have survived had the films just been straight-faced, conventional thrillers.

This thread feels very surreal right now.

The Bond fans that hate Goldfinger - you couldn't make it up.
    How many times must it be said - that there is no hate for any James Bond release, such a word does not exist in Bond fans vocabulary

It's just a boring and mundane Bond release, that's gets a bit silly, overrated and some don't understand the hype of it all, that's not to say it's a bad release, i can see why some think it's of legendary status, that's all very well and good, but simply not for all
    @Getafix, I only skimmed, but who here hates GF? Most of us have stated that we love it, but _____ bother us, or we didn't like _____. I haven't seen anyone express pure hatred for the film.
    The absence of love for GF is tantamount to hate.
    How many times must it be said - that there is no hate for any James Bond release, such a word does not exist in Bond fans vocabulary

It's just a boring and mundane Bond release, that's gets a bit silly, overrated and some don't understand the hype of it all, that's not to say it's a bad release, i can see why some think it's of legendary status, that's all very well and good, but simply not for all

Quite possibly the silliest statement I have ever heard from a poster whose opinions I normally take rather seriously.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Getafix wrote:

Quite possibly the silliest statement I have ever heard from a poster whose opinions I normally take rather seriously.

He isn't wrong. Everyone here knows I would fight a damn war for Sean, no matter the cost, but the film is just okay, not spectacular.
    And so you should (take seriously) as I give candid answers on the Bond series and try not to get involved in any monkey business, but the fact remains, whether anyone wants to agree or disagree, and that's what we're all here for, Goldfinger is simply a dull and uninteresting Bond movie

Even Brady himself, the epitome of Sean Connery appreciation, can see his third outing was a poor release and not above boring and mundane, go and have another watch and see for yourself

It's just how some feel about it, there's no sense in lying
    @Getafix, but it isn't the same. To enjoy something is not the same as to hate it. Just because I have a few complaints about the film doesn't mean I hate it, it's just how I feel. Relax.
    This is a tough one because they are two of my favorites: TLD #5 and GF #6. While the later is an absolute classic (by no means a perfect one but definitly a memorable one), the former is an superb return to the classics.
    GF has very good scenes like the golf match, the dialogues of Goldfinger, the golden girl and the fight with Oddjob, but as a whole TLD has a better and more exciting story.
    So TLD for me.