Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

It has to be Spy. How can any one rate Brozza's depressing debut above one of THE greatest Bond movies ever made?

TSWLM is a work of art. GE, if it weren't for the fact that the central character has been amusingly given the name James Bond, could easily join Brozza's other early straight to DVD action-thriller bargain-bin offerings.
    Getafix wrote:
    It has to be Spy. How can any one rate Brozza's depressing debut above one of THE greatest Bond movies ever made?

TSWLM is a work of art. GE, if it weren't for the fact that the central character has been amusingly given the name James Bond, could easily join Brozza's other early straight to DVD action-thriller bargain-bin offerings.

And how did I know what you would vote for =))

Anyway, I love both but I voted for GE because I like Brosnan better than Moore (although Moore was great), and Sean Bean is in it, plus I like the plot better.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Getafix, because GE is the film that introduced me to the world of Bond, because Brosnan is my favorite James Bond and standalone actor, and because GE is better than TSWLM, in my opinion.

See? Opinions.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Getafix, because GE is the film that introduced me to the world of Bond, because Brosnan is my favorite James Bond and standalone actor, and because GE is better than TSWLM, in my opinion.

See? Opinions.

Here is an opinion: Police Academy 3 is a far superior film to Citizen Kane.

Conclusion: Some opinions are total nonsense.
    I really hope you aren't comparing TSWLM to Citizen Kane. You prefer TSWLM and don't really care for GE. I prefer GE way more than TSWLM. We'll agree to disagree.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Saying 'DAD' is a better-made film than FRWL is wrong, yes, but saying 'I prefer DAD to FRWL' is totally correct and is up to personal taste.

It's like saying you prefer Zac Efron to Robert De Niro... perfectly acceptable, unless you say that Efron is more talented than De Niro, which is just plain wrong.

Nothing wrong with preferring an actor or a film over another.

If we only ranked films by quality, it would be pretty boring as everyone would put the same films at the top. Ranking films by personal preference is much more interesting, as in this case people may have totally different favorite movies.
    @DC007, exactly. Thank you for elaborating.
    DB5 wrote:
    Well in that case I'll put in my vote for GE as well, if for no other reason than I find all the Moore movies silly.

This. And because the Moore era did more to engender the Austin-Powers-"dolphins-with-freakin-laser-beams" reputation that almost did in the entire Bond franchise.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Saying 'DAD' is a better-made film than FRWL is wrong, yes, but saying 'I prefer DAD to FRWL' is totally correct and is up to personal taste.

It's like saying you prefer Zac Efron to Robert De Niro... perfectly acceptable, unless you say that Efron is more talented than De Niro, which is just plain wrong.

The Police Academy analogy above does not make sense, because Police Academy never sets out to be a movie on the scale of Citizen Kane. Completely different genres: PA is a lighthearted comedy and CK is an epic drama. It's comparing apples to oranges.

GE and TSWLM is an acceptable comparison because both set out to make a really entertaining Bond experience of a movie: it's the same faire, same genre, same series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

See? Opinions.

....which is the perfect explanation for your opinion that GoldenEye is even anywhere close to being a straight to DVD bargain bin offering.
    JBFan626 wrote:

The Police Academy analogy above does not make sense, because Police Academy never sets out to be a movie on the scale of Citizen Kane. Completely different genres: PA is a lighthearted comedy and CK is an epic drama. It's comparing apples to oranges.

GE and TSWLM is an acceptable comparison because both set out to make a really entertaining Bond experience of a movie: it's the same faire, same genre, same series.

My point was that although I respect everyone's right to an opinion, that is something different from respecting that opinion.

If you see what I mean.

Yes, we can agree to disagree, but surely the point of this thread is to argue about the relative merits of the movies and debate our points of view.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ok, wouldn't beast expect one of us to use our initiative and introduce the much needed, long overdue round as he's been away for some time? Out of respect for the fella, can one of the mods set up the next match?
    Next match up! Please.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Ok, wouldn't beast expect one of us to use our initiative and introduce the much needed, long overdue round as he's been away for some time? Out of respect for the fella, can one of the mods set up the next match?

He's only been away for a few days...
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:

TSWLM is a work of art
    . GE, if it weren't for the fact that the central character has been amusingly given the name James Bond, could easily join Brozza's other early straight to DVD action-thriller bargain-bin offerings.

I love Spy but quite a few people on here would disagree with you and call Spy an overrated cash cow which remakes YOLT and features an "ugly" lead (Luds and Shark to name two). There are others who aren't as extreme...you'd be very suprised.

I'd put GE miles ahead of Brozza's pre-Bond work too. True its not Brozza's best performance but it has a cracking supporting cast and a woman who doesn't sound like a robot when she delivers a line. Every single time I watch it I come out smiling. Have done for the last 15 years and continue to do so.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

TSWLM is a work of art
    . GE, if it weren't for the fact that the central character has been amusingly given the name James Bond, could easily join Brozza's other early straight to DVD action-thriller bargain-bin offerings.
    y
    I love Spy but quite a few people on here would disagree with you and call Spy an overrated cash cow which remakes YOLT and features an "ugly" lead (Luds and Shark to name two). There are others who aren't as extreme...you'd be very suprised.

I'd put GE miles ahead of Brozza's pre-Bond work too. True its not Brozza's best performance but it has a cracking supporting cast and a woman who doesn't sound like a robot when she delivers a line. Every single time I watch it I come out smiling. Have done for the last 15 years and continue to do so.

Are you referring to the delectable Barbara Bach as sounding like a robot? Outrageous!

Any one who criticises Bond movies for being 'cash cows' is clearly loopy. They are cash cows - that is actually the reason they've carried on making them.

Any way, I know you love Brozza, which is fine. I just continue to find it bizarre the extent to which some people (not you) have little or no appreciation of Spy. It is a masterpiece. And yes it may well be a remake of YOLT, but remaking similar stories is what EON has essentially been doing for 50 years. Again, it is a bizarre criticism to throw at Bond.
    I love TSWLM. It has one of my favorite finales in a Bond film, and Jaws is one of the more entertaining villains in my eyes. But, I grew up on GE and the Brosnan era. After rewatching GE countless times as a child, I checked out more of his non-Bond films, and it just stuck with me: Brosnan has been my favorite actor ever since, and GE is my favorite film that can't be beat. It's what got me into Bond, and it holds a special place in my heart. That's why I would select it over anything else; but, I still appreciate every other Bond film, whether others love them or everyone has disregard for them, such as MR or DAD.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

TSWLM is a work of art
    y

Are you referring to the delectable Barbara Bach as sounding like a robot? Outrageous!

Any one who criticises Bond movies for being 'cash cows' is clearly loopy. They are cash cows - that is actually the reason they've carried on making them.

Any way, I know you love Brozza, which is fine. I just continue to find it bizarre the extent to which some people (not you) have little or no appreciation of Spy. It is a masterpiece. And yes it may well be a remake of YOLT, but remaking similar stories is what EON has essentially been doing for 50 years. Again, it is a bizarre criticism to throw at Bond.

Spot on response my friend.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

See? Opinions.

Not really, mate. Some opinions may be nonsense to YOU, but they are not in actuality. I know some things are hard to swallow in regards to the beliefs of others that don't coincide with yours, but just let it go before we have another fight on our hands.
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

See? Opinions.

Not really, mate. Some opinions may be nonsense to YOU, but they are not in actuality. I know some things are hard to swallow in regards to the beliefs of others that don't coincide with yours, but just let it go before we have another fight on our hands.

What is the point of the thread if not to argue over the merits of the films in question?

Oh dear, after reading the prior posts, all I can do is apologize! Sorry guys, I've had driver's ed class all week long and the last day was today, so now I can be back on more regularly! Forgive me for my absence, I know it's been a killer wait, and I'm sorry for that! Uhhh....(rubs forehead), does anybody know who won? Haha, sorry, since this is my own thread, but after not having been on in a few days, and seeing how this particular battle sparked more than two pages, anybody got a clue? If not I'll just sift through all the pages and determine the winner.
    He's back! :D I think GE won.
    GE won by one or two votes. Welcome back, @00Beast!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,762
    He's back! :D I think GE won.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    GE won by one or two votes. Welcome back, @00Beast!

Thanks guys! Nice to have such good friends on here! Well everyone, you heard the men, it seems like GoldenEye (best Bond movie ever, cough cough!) has taken the win! <:-P

EDIT Whoops, almost forgot. Ahem, um well, let's see, the next round shall be:

Goldfinger vs. The Living Daylights
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TLD
    The Living Daylights for me

I almost needn't even explain myself, because any old hat around here knows my feelings towards Goldfinger. ;)

If not, let me just say that TLD outdoes GF on the action, the locations, the pacing, the soundtrack, and Bond himself. The only factor GF takes the edge on is the villains. As for the girls, neither main girl is a prize winner, but at least GF has Jill Masterson!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Goldfinger
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    The Living Daylights for me

I almost needn't even explain myself, because any old hat around here knows my feelings towards Goldfinger. ;)

If not, let me just say that TLD outdoes GF on the action, the locations, the pacing, the soundtrack, and Bond himself. The only factor GF takes the edge on is the villains. As for the girls, neither main girl is a prize winner, but at least GF has Jill Masterson!

Even Oddjob's bowler??

I will actually have to give this some more thought. It's a toughin'.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,473
    I'm going to go with TLD.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it was indeed tough. Had to think about it for a little while.
    Goldfinger

There's just more that sticks in the mind