Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    I find it very difficult to understand how one can both profess to be a Bond fan and a critic of TSWLM at the same time. I had always assumed that these two positions were mutually exclusive.

I say that's utter nonsense. just because someone dislikes one Bond film doesn't make him/her a lesser Bond fan.... Germanlady dislikes Dalton. so she's not a Bond fan ? MajorDSmythe dislikes OHMSS, so he's not a Bond fan ? Getatix, you dislike GE, so you're not a Bond fan ? I dislike CR, so I'm not a Bond fan ?

The Major dislikes On Her Majesty's Secret Service? Finally! I thought I'd never find someone who shared my opinion! And yes, just to support DC on this one, I do agree, it is ridiculous to say that one is not a Bond fan if they don't like The Spy Who Loved Me. It's a good Bond movie in my opinion, but not top ten worthy in my book. Barbara Bach's wooden acting really does it in, but there are other factors, including the fact that I simply don't always get the Bond sensation whenever I watch TSWLM. Sometimes I feel a little bored when watching it, though let it be known I said sometimes.
    Don`t worry, you are not on your own when it comes to not liking OHMSS, it is bottom of my list too.
    Back on topic.......
    I vote GE, as it is my second favourite Bond film. Spy is top 5 though!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I find it very difficult to understand how one can both profess to be a Bond fan and a critic of TSWLM at the same time. I had always assumed that these two positions were mutually exclusive.

I say that's utter nonsense. just because someone dislikes one Bond film doesn't make him/her a lesser Bond fan.... Germanlady dislikes Dalton. so she's not a Bond fan ? MajorDSmythe dislikes OHMSS, so he's not a Bond fan ? Getatix, you dislike GE, so you're not a Bond fan ? I dislike CR, so I'm not a Bond fan ?

The Major dislikes On Her Majesty's Secret Service? Finally! I thought I'd never find someone who shared my opinion! And yes, just to support DC on this one, I do agree, it is ridiculous to say that one is not a Bond fan if they don't like The Spy Who Loved Me. It's a good Bond movie in my opinion, but not top ten worthy in my book. Barbara Bach's wooden acting really does it in, but there are other factors, including the fact that I simply don't always get the Bond sensation whenever I watch TSWLM. Sometimes I feel a little bored when watching it, though let it be known I said sometimes.

He has it at #4 overall in his rankings. How does he hate it?
    00Beast wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

He has it at #4 overall in his rankings. How does he hate it?

I think that's his 2012 rankings because he's rewatching the films.
    GE vs QOS next maybe, if it hasn't been done before.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, I think that one would be too obvious of a win.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yeah, GE would definetly win, but it is the better film. I was gonna say CR vs GE but CR vs anything on here is unfair because of how many Craig fans there are.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,473
    I'm sure CR would win, in that case, but I favor GE over anything else. Plus, there are a few heavy Brosnan/GE fans such as myself here, so I know there are definitely two votes for GE: @00Beast and myself.
    I'm guessing any Bond release in a rivalry with Quantum Of Solace would be too obvious of a win <):)

But some do genuinely dislike Goldeneye so why not give it a whirl, those same people might hold QOS in high regard and it could be a close contest
    @Baltimore_007, what about something like DAD or MR against QoS? Those former two films seems to get a lot of flak, as well.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm sure CR would win, in that case, but I favor GE over anything else. Plus, there are a few heavy Brosnan/GE fans such as myself here, so I know there are definitely two votes for GE: @00Beast and myself.

I would vote GE too, my 3rd favourite Bond film, and Brosnan is my 2nd favourite Bond. But sadly alot of members on here love Craig, and others (or some of the same people) bash Brosnan.
    No!

Moonraker is a good fun and lively effort and a hundred times better than QOS in all sorts of ways I don't need to elaborate on

But Die Another Day - I think we've already done that, and they're quite so equally bad I wouldn't know quite what to pick anyway

Ideally, Beast should pick something like, er

The Man with the Golden Gun VS Octopussy

now, that would be a good debate, if it hasn't been done that is
    @Baltimore_007, but see, that's an opinion. I have seen a lot of flak from MR on here, but I did enjoy the film. You hate QoS, while I thoroughly enjoyed the film.
    Will people stop with that, I don't hate it

I merely disapprove, or hold it in a less favorable light than some others

It's a bad Bond release with a whole lot of shakin' going on, but I don't have any real loathing for it, I don't hate any Bond release, I just think it's poor and one of the weakest entries of the entire franchise, Hate is too strong a word, it's still a part of the James Bond series, it may be a piece of crap release even, but nevertheless, still part of the Bond series

Let's hope they do better next time and all, but I have a range of opinions on Bond, but never usually anything so extreme, it is still Fleming's creation after all..
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yeah, GE would definetly win, but it is the better film. I was gonna say CR vs GE but CR vs anything on here is unfair because of how many Craig fans there are.

That's not true. I think QoS would put up a good fight, and CR has lost before. It wouldn't beat GE because Craig has more fans than Brosnan. It would win because it is the better Bond and film.
    Will people stop with that, I don't hate it

I merely disapprove, or hold it in a less favorable light than some others

It's a bad Bond release with a whole lot of shakin' going on, but I don't have any real loathing for it, I don't hate any Bond release, I just think it's poor and one of the weakest entries of the entire franchise, Hate is too strong a word, it's still a part of the James Bond series, it may be a piece of crap release even, but nevertheless, still part of the Bond series

Let's hope they do better next time and all, but I have a range of opinions on Bond, but never usually anything so extreme, it is still Fleming's creation after all..

Well when someone experiences distaste for QoS, I surmise they just don't like the film, as many on here don't. My apologies.
    Creasy47 wrote:

That's not true. I think QoS would put up a good fight, and CR has lost before. It wouldn't beat GE because Craig has more fans than Brosnan. It would win because it is the better Bond and film.

Your opinion. Me and alot of others prefer GE and Brosnan.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Your opinion. Me and alot of others prefer GE and Brosnan.
    I know, but I will get really tired of putting "in my opinion" at the end of every post.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    So when's the next round, 00Beast?
  • Speaking of Moore era women
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Spy is his best film.

Barry's MR soundtrack alone puts that film ahead of TSWLM.

Great soundtrack without a doubt, just an inferior film.

c'mon, how can you not like watching Sir Rog totally enjoying himself for 2 hours, almost winking at the camera, having the fun of his life ? Sir Rog is so awesome in MR, a genuinly mood-lifting guy !!

Agreed with MR's soundtrack being better than TSWLM's, but that's where I draw the line. Spy is much more Bondian, and as far as Bond movies go, I don't want a farcical send up of Star Wars and Matt Helm. Bond movies should never be a farce or a spoof, that's best left to to other film makers. MR is a spoof of Bond spoofs and that is what makes the film a joke that I don't find amusing at all. Brosnan's first two movies put MR to shame, even TWINE is a lot more watchable. Only DAD is worse than MR, and in quite a few parts it's much better and more Bondian.

So when's the next round, 00Beast?

I do think a new round of Bond movies is much needed too

I like the ones that are too close to call rather than having one release that is going to cream it's rival etc. A good example of this for me, would be for instance, From Russia With Love and Live and Let Die. Something for Beast to consider maybe
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @00Beast Time for a new round :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    so what's the score thus far?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Have we done DAF and TND?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Hmmm... One of Moore's best vs Brosnan's best. I'm going to go with GoldenEye.
    doubleoego wrote:
    so what's the score thus far?

I don't think anyone knows. There seemed to be more discussing than voting.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    By my count, it's 22-22 each. But I had to trawl through numerous posts of Bond girl talk and music talk, so I might have missed out on some votes. But either way, it's quite close.

Funny that, I got the impression TSWLM was running away with the win until I actually started counting the votes. Maybe everyone should keep the discussion to another thread in the next time, it makes it very hard to keep count of votes.
    Unless I've been checking out the wrong threads, I don't think @00Beast has been on very much these past few days.
  • DB5DB5
    Maybe everyone should keep the discussion to another thread in the next time, it makes it very hard to keep count of votes.

The discussion is why I enjoy the thread. But I do think each competition should have the same amount of time, after which we move on to a new one. If it's a tie it's a tie, that has happened on this thread before (TSWLM and FYEO). how about the three "golds" (GF, TMWTGG and GE). I think we may have done GF v GE already, but TMWTGG v each of the others might be interesting.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Can we put out an unofficial battle between YOLT and DAF just for the sake of something different?