Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    LALD

No Shirley Bassey
    No stupid space scenes
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    <b>LALD</b>

Pound for pound MR actually beats LALD: better locations, more comfortable performance from Moore, all around better Bond girls, better megalomaniac villain, better action, impressive special effects, better John Barry score and title song...My favorite Shirley Bassey performance.

But.......LALD has a more interesting plot to me. It's a lot more low-key, and it feels like they are trying something new, with Bond getting out of his element. As @00Beast says, there is a better pace in LALD. The story flows smoothly from start to finish. There are also little nuggets that are so quirky in LALD, such as the voodoo jungle scene, Baron Samedi or the crocodile scene. MR just feels like it ticks all the Bond boxes, but doesn't offer any of much substance.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,513
    00Beast wrote:
    Live and Let Die

Better 007 performance: LALD
    Better Villains: LALD
    Better Soundtrack: LALD
    Better Pace: LALD

And on side notes, LALD also does not include half the cheese that MR does.

Oh, Beast, how we always seem to agree.

And you can't forget the beauty that is Jane. She still looks incredible to this day.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Live And Let Die is the better of the two in my view. More straight to the point as well.
    Live and Let Die. Just more-believable story and darker plot.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,107
    Moonraker definitely
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Live & Let Die for me.
  • 00Beast wrote:
    GF- 12 votes
    TLD- 22 votes

And '80s Dalton trumps '60s Connery!

Next round: Live and Let Die vs. Moonraker

Blasphemy! Oh well, there is no accounting for taste :-?

For this round, any Bond film short of DAD beats Star Wars Jr.

Live And Let Die
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MR
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    LALD It's a guilty pleasure. :3
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    00Beast wrote:
    GF- 12 votes
    TLD- 22 votes

And '80s Dalton trumps '60s Connery!

Oh yes, that't almost twice as much more votes. \:D/ Take that, Connery.

For this round, i'd go with LALD (though I wish I didn't have to). I find MR to be one of the worst films in the cannon.
    LALD for me as it was my first ever experience of BOND. Still remains one of my personal favourites.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm going to go against the trend here, and vote for Moonraker.
    I love them both, but for some reason MR wins.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    While MR has the better score and some great work from Ken Adam and some impressive cinematography I much prefer LALD, it's not even that great a Bond film but compared to MR it's a competent film, I have grown tired of the Moore era over the last 10 years but this and SWLM are the ones I could still watch and enjoy, MR just makes me groan with embarrassment although it does look good.
    This one's easy, the worst Bond movie vs. a great start for Moore
    22. Moonraker
    21. Die Another Day
    20. Licence To Kill
    19. You Only Live Twice
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    17. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever
    15.The World Is Not Enough
    14. Goldfinger
    13. The Living Daylights
    12. Live And Let Die
    Moonraker has tons of sentimental value for me as it was my first Bond film but LALD just barely edges it out.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It appears that LALD might sweep this one, as well. We had an extremely close vote followed by two landslides.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It appears that LALD might sweep this one, as well. We had an extremely close vote followed by two landslides.

Yeah, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. My judgment on some of the movie battles here seems to be off every now and again, haha. I thought we had a good amount of Moonraker lovers on here, but I guess they don't consider it better than Moore's debut.
  • DB5DB5
    Great theme song by Paul McCartney and Wings, Jane Seymour, Yaphet Kotto, the alligator stunt. Live and Let Die.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I will vote for MR because we did not see Drax's head blow up.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely Moonraker. Bigger budget, widescreen Panavision, more exotic locations, more epic in feel(like the TB/YOLT/OHMSS triumvirate), Moore at his most super-confident, John Barry music score.
    How can I vote with two Bond releases when one half of it is my own personal favorite Live and Let Die, although Moonraker is also up there in high regard

It could well be a case of Jane Seymour vs Lois Chiles.... pretty simple math
    How can I vote with two Bond releases when one half of it is my own personal favorite Live and Let Die, although Moonraker is also up there in high regard

It could well be a case of Jane Seymour vs Lois Chiles.... pretty simple math

Agree to the full on that last note. Aside from just the looks department, Lois annoys me greatly. I always hope every time I watch MR that she'll get roasted by the rocket thrust in the exhaust pit so I can be rid of her!
    But that would mean James Bond would perish also............ :O

What would we do for an action hero then..
    But that would mean James Bond would perish also............ :O

What would we do for an action hero then..

But she was in it long before 007 was. ;)
    BUT NOT WHEN THE MOONRAKER SHUTTLE TOOK OFF :O
    BUT NOT WHEN THE MOONRAKER SHUTTLE TOOK OFF :O
    But 007 has invincibility, so he would have lived. :p

MOONRAKER
    LALD
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    LALD wins pretty easily for me.