Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Getafix, I'm speaking of strict remakes: taking, say, GE, and totally remaking it, redoing the dam scene, few new or cut scenes here and there, new tank chase, new satellite battle, etc. It just should not be done.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I love the idea of Bond classics being remade. Imagine the The Man with the Golden Gum bein done properly with a real actor!

They shouldn't remake any of them. End of.

Oh I so agree. No actual complete remakes, period.

LeChiffre wrote:
    I love the idea of Bond classics being remade. Imagine the The Man with the Golden Gum bein done properly with a real actor!

They shouldn't remake any of them. End of.

Oh I so agree. No actual complete remakes, period.

Agree too. No scene by scene remakes or reuse of titles.
    Has anyone ever realized the similar plots of GF and AVTAK. It's almost a modern remake. Instead of destroying gold to increase the price of his own stocks Zorin destroys the mines to increase the price of his microchips. Also the scene in the blimp where one guy pulls out and is then killed is very similar to the GF scene with Solo.

Sorry to get this further offtrack. I think it would be interesting to see what Nolan would do but i doubt it would happen but you never know.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,637
    Well to be fair, YOLT and TND share very specific plot elements as well. I'm not calling TND a remake of YOLT, however, because so much of the rest of both films is entirely dissimilar. But yeah, they sometimes proceed with simply 'steeling' elements from previous Bonds to tie up loose knots in modern films. DAD insisted on going with a killer laser satellite. They could have foretold that we'd get flashbacks to DAF on the spot.

The only remake I can legitimately think of is NSNA. Not only did it dive into the same source material as TB, but it actually also borrowed concepts that were first introduced by TB the film, not the novel. E.g.: the wicket vixen (Fiona, Fatima).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    AussieBond wrote:
    Has anyone ever realized the similar plots of GF and AVTAK. It's almost a modern remake. Instead of destroying gold to increase the price of his own stocks Zorin destroys the mines to increase the price of his microchips. Also the scene in the blimp where one guy pulls out and is then killed is very similar to the GF scene with Solo.

Sorry to get this further offtrack. I think it would be interesting to see what Nolan would do but i doubt it would happen but you never know.

Yes. Also, isn't the gassing of the gangsters a little like the killing of the miners?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,461
    Christopher Nolan whant to make Bond movie without Daniel Craig.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24145/nolan-says-no-to-more-batman

While 'Rises' caps off the Bat-trilogy for the 41-year-old, the British filmmaker shows no signs of slowing down. Last week came word that he's abandoned his plans for a Howard Hughes biopic but would be open to having a go at the long-running James Bond franchise. In that case however, he told Empire that "it would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things" and thus has lead to speculation that the earliest opportunity would be when Daniel Craig eventually steps down from the role.

That article doesn't necessarily mean that Nolan only wants to do one with the seventh James Bond actor, but it would be a great fit, and we could use an excellent director for a new Bond actor's first film. Campbell handled both GE and CR with beauty, and I love them both. I just don't think that, because of his cancellation of plans for the Hughes biopic, that he will wait around for the next few years for a new Bond. Let's hope he's still interested when the time comes, though.
    DC is Bond! If he wants to do one as he says he does? Do it with DC!
    RogueAgent wrote:

Craig won't be Bond forever. I think Nolan would be the perfect guy to introduce a new actor when DC retires.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Craig won't be Bond forever. I think Nolan would be the perfect guy to introduce a new actor when DC retires.

Be interesting to see if he will wait that long? Could he be another Spielberg? A missed opportunity? Then again ofcourse Mendes could stay on?
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    I want to see a Nolan Bond. It'll be three hours long, will have flashbacks within flashbacks and Michael Caine will be in it. What's not to like.
  • SharkShark Banned
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Inception isn't depressing. You know, the film with scenes based on OHMSS.

INCEPTION isn't depressing? It's about a man whose dead wife haunts his subconscious, sabotaging his job.

The problem with Nolan's films is they're almost entirely humourless, colourless, pretentious, and literal minded. Antitheses of Bond.
    Shark wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

INCEPTION isn't depressing? It's about a man whose dead wife haunts his subconscious, sabotaging his job.

The problem with Nolan's films is they're almost entirely humourless, colourless, pretentious, and literal minded. Antitheses of Bond.

I couldn't agree more.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have laughed during Nolan's films. Batman Begins is hilarious in parts, even when the moments are supposed to be funny. Watching The Dark Knight, I have a great big smile on my face whenever I see Heath, giddy to see how brilliant he was in it and how much justice he did to the character.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've seen both of the Nolan/Bale Batman films, and didn't find them funny. Nor did I see what was so special about The Joker. :-??

The Idea of Nolan directing a Bond film doesn't excite me at all. I'm not saying he'd be a bad choice, just that the announcement wouldn't have me jumping for joy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've seen both of the Nolan/Bale Batman films, and didn't find them funny. Nor did I see what was so special about The Joker. :-??

The Idea of Nolan directing a Bond film doesn't excite me at all. I'm not saying he'd be a bad choice, just that the announcement wouldn't have me jumping for joy.
    Are you a Batman fan, if you don't mind me asking? Like, to a fanboy level?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I don't mind. No, i'm not a Batman fan. I did like Keaton's two films, Kilmer's film was ok and the least said about B&R the better. But I prefer The Shadow, even if he's not had the cinematic luck that Batman has had.

I don't mind. No, i'm not a Batman fan. I did like Keaton's two films, Kilmer's film was ok and the least said about B&R the better. But I prefer The Shadow, even if he's not had the cinematic luck that Batman has had.
    I think that is why I love the films more than you. I spent my childhood disappointed when Batman couldn't catch a break in film and video games, but other Batman nerds like me have been blessed with the Nolan films that do justice to the lore, and the Rocksteady Batman games. To put it simply, I have never been more proud to call myself a Batman fanboy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Shark wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. It would almost kill Bond having Nolan at the helm. I say no to Nolan.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Shark wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

And what your supposed to take from completion of the film is him overcoming her. Embracing her death, realizing he was at fault, and moving on to more important things in life like his family.

The film is about a man who haunts himself with memories of his dead wife, and embraces and fights through an opportunity to overcome his guilt and reunite with loved ones.

It starts depressing, and ends enlightening. You were probably too busy marking down derogatory opinions of the film when it ended to catch Nolan's point.
    Shark wrote:

It's an extremely dry humor, yes, and is rarely used. But all of his films don't really strive to be comedies. And I could see his films as the antitheses of FilmBond, but book Bond is extremely literal minded, and every Bond comes off as pretentious, constantly trying to impress M and others in his presence with his habit of knowing something about everything.
    Unless the entire thing was in Cobb's head and he is an insane manic depressive.

Unless the entire thing was in Cobb's head and he is an insane manic depressive.

Nolan has stated that he almost didn't want to put the ending scene in the film, with the spinning top. He did it to confuse those who didn't catch on or weren't paying attention. But other notes in the film guarantee Cobb is in fact based in reality, like him meeting his father, who was in Paris, in the airport in America, and finally seeing his children's faces when they turn.

It wasn't all in his head unless you want to read it that way. Nolan intended the film to end with a happy note. ^see previous comment on the ending enlightenment one is supposed to acknowledge at the end^
    I've always thought that Cobb wasn't in the dream world at the end, but all this time, I've been under the impression that Nolan left the ending ambiguous, just so people would create all these theories as to why he is either in the real world or in the dream world.

If Nolan truly wanted the film to end on a happy note, we would have watched the spinning top fall.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 6,008
    Creasy47 wrote:
    If Nolan truly wanted the film to end on a happy note, we would have watched the spinning top fall.

Bingo.

And this is the essence of my problem with Nolan. He leads his audience into a trite "Is it a dream or is it real?" debate instead of providing an actual cathartic (or alternately, dreary) ending. Nolan takes the cold, intellectual approach over the emotional one every time.
    @echo, I would have preferred it either keep spinning, and we are heartbroken that he didn't make it back, or it stops, and we are ecstatic that he made it back to his kids. Ambiguity and cliffhanger endings are wearing on me: it seems like any sci-fi/horror/thriller I see anymore has these, and I'm tired of it. Go the emotional route, whether it makes me happy or sad. Pull a fast one on me and make me lose my mind, if you have to (The Mist, I'm looking at you.)

With endings like this, it just makes me expect a sequel I'm sure I'll never receive.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've always thought that Cobb wasn't in the dream world at the end, but all this time, I've been under the impression that Nolan left the ending ambiguous, just so people would create all these theories as to why he is either in the real world or in the dream world.

It was definitely put in for speculation, but I think it's wobble is proof enough. It definitely wobbles, and doesn't budge when he's dreaming. I'm confident I've read from either him, or a film reviewer that it's likely there just to keep you questioning.

But look people:

Cobb goes to see his Dad in Paris to get an architect. He's in reality at this point. There he meets Page's character after telling his dad his plan for going back to America. When the plane lands at the end, Cobb's Dad is there waiting for him. That's the first sign he's not dreaming.

Then, the entire film Nolan hinges on the fact, and at one point even has Cobb say that he can't see his children's faces in the dream. Yet, when he gets home, they turn and shout 'daddy!'. The second sign he's in reality.

The most obvious and overplayed one is the final scene -the wobble. The damn thing wobbles. It didn't wobble in the opeing scene on the table, nor in the Mel's safe, and it falls every time he's in reality. It wouldn't wobble in a dream unless someone had interfered with it's balance, which the film plays no sign of. HE WASN'T DREAMING. It's not up to debate.

AND even if he was dreaming, you know the film ends with Cobb in a better state of mind, dream or reality. Either way he's gotten over his guilt and reunited with his family -so its not an intellectual unemotional ending.

Dream or no dream, he's still happy at the end. Can we move on..

Nolan is a big name, and would guarantee revenue. He'd be the Halle Berry in DAD to Bond 24. 'Look, we got the Batman Mind-F**k guy to direct!'.

His films are all critically successful, and are known for good writing. Whether or not you like the elements of the story, you can't deny the stories are properly structured and the characters are well developed. People always assume directors are only good at one style, whether its Tarantino, Fincher, Nolan, Spielberg, etc, and that's exactly what directors hate. No one wants to be known for one thing, especially when they have the capacity to expand their creativity.
    There is no cliffhanger at the end of Inception. As the camera pans closer to the top you see it teeter out, ready to stop turning. Plus, I like open ended efforts like that, which makes me think about the movie constantly afterwards.
    But it's an ending that I see as ambiguous: I believe he's in reality, and I most certainly believe it starts to wobble at the end. On the other spectrum, I have a good bit of friends who believe it's all a dream, and he never makes it back to his kids. Call them pessimists or what have you, but that's how they feel, so I see it as something left unanswered.

But, in my own world, he made it out. I do enjoy speculation of a film I liked in some way, the most recent one being Prometheus.

Nolan for Bond __. I would pay to see it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    But it's an ending that I see as ambiguous: I believe he's in reality, and I most certainly believe it starts to wobble at the end. On the other spectrum, I have a good bit of friends who believe it's all a dream, and he never makes it back to his kids. Call them pessimists or what have you, but that's how they feel, so I see it as something left unanswered.

But, in my own world, he made it out. I do enjoy speculation of a film I liked in some way, the most recent one being Prometheus.

Nolan for Bond __. I would pay to see it.

Yes but do you not agree the film has an emotional ending? Either dream or reality he's in a happy state of mind..