Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I do, it's just something I haven't really thought of until I talked about it with like-minded people who use logic, so thank you all for that. He either made it out or he didn't, but in the end, he's with his Dad while holding his kids, and that's what he worked for from the beginning. He's now content with the world, so he's either free from all of it and gets to live his real life, or he's stuck in the dream with them, and he can be as happy as possible. I love it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes, if it's reality, he gets a happy ending with his kids. No, because if it's a dream, he's tricked himself (much like most of the movie is about him tricking Fisher). But we will never know because Nolan declined to make a choice.

The movie is not as clever as it thinks it is. Sure, the dreams within dreams within dreams are spectacularly rendered, but to end the entire 2-1/2-hour movie on "it could be a dream or it could be reality" is rather obvious.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 5,745
    echo wrote:
    Yes, if it's reality, he gets a happy ending with his kids. No, because if it's a dream, he's tricked himself (much like most of the movie is about him tricking Fisher). But we will never know because Nolan declined to make a choice.

The movie is not as clever as it thinks it is. Sure, the dreams within dreams within dreams are spectacularly rendered, but to end the entire 2-1/2-hour movie on "it could be a dream or it could be reality" is rather obvious.

You've obviously either failed to read my previous post or just decided to ignore it. Nolan did not leave it like that.

To keep it simply, the damn thing wobbled. If he's tricked himself into a dream, he's still happy.

Let's move on.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here's a great piece dealing with the mystery:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/plato-pop/201111/inception-and-philosophy-did-the-spinning-top-fall

*WARNING: DO NOT READ IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A HEADACHE*
    Wow, not even going to bother with that tonight.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Wow, not even going to bother with that tonight.

:)) This movie has messed my head up so much, and I can say that Inception beats out The Big Sleep as far as convoluted plots go, and that is considering that none of the screenwriters for that film even knew how the hell the victim of the case died!
    I stayed up for hours after my friend and I watched it one night, just pulling it apart, piece by piece, discussing every little question we had. It was one long, cigarette-fueled night.
    Sounds like me and my friend. We have talked about so many films, and spent almost two hours dissecting the trailers for The Dark Knight Rises using our knowledge of the Knightfall Batman comics story arc. Good times.
    Absolutely.

I just wish more of my friends around here were die-hard Bond fans like I am. Such a wasted art on so many people around here; it's disgusting.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sounds like me and my friend. We have talked about so many films, and spent almost two hours dissecting the trailers for The Dark Knight Rises using our knowledge of the Knightfall Batman comics story arc. Good times.

Having read Vengeance Of Bane and Knightfall before, I decided to reread it as preparation work for TDKR. I really want to see the character of Bane be given the proper treatment this time.
    I've seen both of the Nolan/Bale Batman films, and didn't find them funny. Nor did I see what was so special about The Joker. :-??

The Idea of Nolan directing a Bond film doesn't excite me at all. I'm not saying he'd be a bad choice, just that the announcement wouldn't have me jumping for joy.

I thought parts of Batman Begins were funny. Like the bit where he says "I don't need protection" and the guard points at the beaten up criminals and says "for them!"
    I've seen both of the Nolan/Bale Batman films, and didn't find them funny. Nor did I see what was so special about The Joker. :-??

The Idea of Nolan directing a Bond film doesn't excite me at all. I'm not saying he'd be a bad choice, just that the announcement wouldn't have me jumping for joy.

I thought parts of Batman Begins were funny. Like the bit where he says "I don't need protection" and the guard points at the beaten up criminals and says "for them!"
    Exactly. And I love when Batman is in the Narrows, gets a guard paranoid, who shouts "WHERE ARE YOU!!!", and Bats just goes "here", and dispatches him. The "nice coat" bit is also great.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    After watching Skyfall, and I've been noticing around the web people have compared Skyfall to The Dark Knight. There's been a lot of articles about Skyfall is the 007 version of the Dark Knight:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/11/skyfall-dark-knight/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/19/skyfall-was-influenced-by-the-dark-knight

I've watch Skyfall and notice the Dark Knight comparison (Silva is like the 007 version of The Joker). Sam Mendes has said the Dark Knight heavily influenced Skyfall.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a431894/skyfall-influenced-by-the-dark-knight-says-sam-mendes.html

So Skyfall is sort of the closest thing to a Christopher Nolan's James Bond (just like From Russia With Love was heavily influenced by Alfred Hitchcock, and give us an idea what a James Bond film would look like if directed by Alfred Hitchcock). Also, the producers had said they want to have Christopher Nolan to direct Bond film in the future.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a433438/christopher-nolan-as-bond-director-would-be-a-dream-says-producer.html

and Chris Nolan said he wants to direct James Bond, so there you go, Batman help reboot James Bond and Skyfall gave us a Nolan-esque James Bond, and the producers said they want Nolan to direct James Bond in the future

I would say what's the harm. Skyfall is 007 version of The Dark Knight, and Skyfall showed us a Nolan-style Bond. So if Chris Nolan wants to direct Bond (and the producers want it), let him. I'm sure he'll keep Daniel Craig as Bond and the rest of the cast (Harris as Moneypenny, Withshaw as Q, etc..). But I would love to see Marion Cotillard as a Bond girl, and maybe the bad guy should be play well maybe Christian Bale, Leonardo Dicaprio, or Mark Strong could play the bad guy, I wonder if they can get Cillian Murphy to play the henchman. Also I would like to hear Han Zimmer's version of the James Bond theme (the theme was covered many time, I don't see how Zimmer's version would be any different).
    JBFan626 wrote:
    What else will we get...Marion Cotillard as Bond girl or Moneypenny, Joseph Gordin Levitt as Felix.

If Skyfall had been directed by Chris Nolan, I could imagine the cast would differ from your. I don't think Joseph Gordon Levitt would fit as Felix.

-Aaron Eckhart would probably fit more as Felix Leiter.
    -Marion Cotillard as Sévérine
    -Cillian Murphy as Q (instead of Whishaw)
    -Michael Caine or Gary Oldman as M

Javier Bardem would still be Raoul Silva regardless (unless Heath Ledger was still alive and could play as something equivalent to Silva, and make the character as psychotic as Joker). Naomie Harris would still be Moneypenny (I don't think Ellen Page would fit, Emily Blunt or Hayley Atwell would be a good alternative Moneypenny). Rory Kinnear would still be Tanner regardless.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I love the idea of Bond classics being remade. Imagine the The Man with the Golden Gum bein done properly with a real actor!

They shouldn't remake any of them. End of.
    Bad adaptations must be remade into a proper adaptation.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    maxcraig wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I love the idea of Bond classics being remade. Imagine the The Man with the Golden Gum bein done properly with a real actor!

They shouldn't remake any of them. End of.
    Bad adaptations must be remade into a proper adaptation.

No they shouldn't. I think every film has it's place in the series and they should move forward instead of remaking past films. And I think the producers would agree with me. They can use stuff they didn't use in past book adaptions in new films.

Sorry to anyone who's a Fleming purist but as much as you might hate the 70s films don't expect a faithful to the book remake of MR or TMWTGG any time soon.

No they shouldn't. I think every film has it's place in the series and they should move forward instead of remaking past films. And I think the producers would agree with me. They can use stuff they didn't use in past book adaptions in new films.

Sorry to anyone who's a Fleming purist but don't expect a faithful to the book remake of MR or TMWTGG any time soon.
    But the more faithful the better. Every Bond movie that wasn't a faithful adaptation or not based on the books is a hit or miss.
  • maxcraig wrote:

Sorry to anyone who's a Fleming purist but don't expect a faithful to the book remake of MR or TMWTGG any time soon.
    But the more faithful the better. Every Bond movie that wasn't a faithful adaptation or not based on the books is a hit or miss.

There have been good and bad films in the series, some good based on the books, some bad based on the books, some good original films, some bad original films.

They can use stuff they haven't used from the books in new films. I think remaking past films is a stupid idea, and chances are it will never happen.
    There have been good and bad films in the series, some good based on the books, some bad based on the books, some good original films, some bad original films.

They can use stuff they haven't used from the books in new films. I think remaking past films is a stupid idea, and chances are it will never happen.
    I was talking about faithful adapations which made good films, not 'based on" or "elements borrowed from". MR YOLT, DAF LALD, TMWTGG are the ones based from the books by keeping the titles or the characters' names or 10% of the original plot. They ended up being the bad films.
  • maxcraig wrote:

I was talking about faithful adapations which made good films, not 'based on" or "elements borrowed from". MR YOLT, DAF LALD, TMWTGG are the ones based from the books by keeping the titles or the characters' names or 10% of the original plot. They ended up being the bad films.

Last time I checked based on meant the same as adaption.

There's no need to remake Bond films, and it won't happen. So no matter how much you might hate Moore's films or the later Connerys you're stuck with the films we got.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,333
    mdo007 wrote:
    So Skyfall is sort of the closest thing to a Christopher Nolan's James Bond (just like From Russia With Love was heavily influenced by Alfred Hitchcock, and give us an idea what a James Bond film would look like if directed by Alfred Hitchcock).
    I don't really see that many Hitchcock influences in FRWL other than the brief helicopter chase, which is likened to North By Northwest's crop duster pursuit of a suited and booted Cary Grant. It's certainly a classy film worthy of Hitchcock but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was Hitchcock inspired. Maybe Ernest Lehman should share some of the credit also?
    Last time I checked based on meant the same as adaption.

There's no need to remake Bond films, and it won't happen. So no matter how much you might hate Moore's films or the later Connerys you're stuck with the films we got.
    Well there's adaptation (or based on) and adaptation. See OHMSS and Moonraker. :D
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I don't think there there should be any remakes. Pick up unused things from the books for future films is OK, but nothing else.
    About SF being inspired by Nolan's films? Nolan's films have basically been his take on Bond films! I love Nolan's work, he's one of my favourite directors nowadays, but it always bothers me that he keeps casting the same people over and over in his films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Moonraker novel plot is outdated and over the top. It wouldn't work with Today's bond.
    An Italian journalist asked Babs about Nolan at the Skyfall premiere in Rome. She looked less then impressed/ I dont think he will be allowed near it anytime soon.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    An Italian journalist asked Babs about Nolan at the Skyfall premiere in Rome. She looked less then impressed/ I dont think he will be allowed near it anytime soon.

For some reason EON don't seem to like big directors, before it was Speilberg, now it's Nolan. Nolan could make a great Bond film.
    bondsum wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:
    So Skyfall is sort of the closest thing to a Christopher Nolan's James Bond (just like From Russia With Love was heavily influenced by Alfred Hitchcock, and give us an idea what a James Bond film would look like if directed by Alfred Hitchcock).
    I don't really see that many Hitchcock influences in FRWL other than the brief helicopter chase, which is likened to North By Northwest's crop duster pursuit of a suited and booted Cary Grant. It's certainly a classy film worthy of Hitchcock but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was Hitchcock inspired. Maybe Ernest Lehman should share some of the credit also?

I'm not familiar with Ernest Lehman, but many Bond fans have acknowledged that From Russia with Love had a lot of Hitchock style motif:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchcockian

From Russia with Love had these like Hitchcock:

The Cool blonde: Tatiana is one of them

Tension building through suspense to the point where the audience enjoys seeing the character in a life-threatening situation : We had seen this several time in FRWL.

Use of darkness to symbolise impending doom: Yep saw that too

Strong visual use of famous landmarks: The Orient express (if famous train count), and Hagia Sophia, and Venice.

Mistaken identity: Bond didn't know Nash was Red Grant.

Characters who switch sides or who cannot be trusted: Bond didn't trust Tatiana at several point, and Tatiana at the end killed Rosa Klebb, her boss.

Use of a macguffin or plot device that remains unexplained: The Lektor.

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    I say no. If he did direct, I would see it as nothing more than a publicity stunt to sell the next movie. But I could be wrong and he could do a great Bond film. But I think he is too intellectual.

I would sooner have Spielberg do a Bond film as he would achieve a better balance between light and dark. His Indiana Jones is super brilliant and in a way rivals Bond. And I am aware, it is his tribute to Bond. The irony of Sean Connery playing Indiana's dad is not lost on me.

And I think Harrison Ford would be an American actor that would be the perfect Bond had they cast him years ago. He is the exception to the rule that Bond has to be British actor played. The man is coolness personified.
    mdo007 wrote:
    I'm not familiar with Ernest Lehman, but many Bond fans have acknowledged that From Russia with Love had a lot of Hitchock style motif:

Tension building through suspense to the point where the audience enjoys seeing the character in a life-threatening situation : We had seen this several time in FRWL.

Strong visual use of famous landmarks: The Orient express (if famous train count), and Hagia Sophia, and Venice.

Characters who switch sides or who cannot be trusted: Bond didn't trust Tatiana at several point, and Tatiana at the end killed Rosa Klebb, her boss.

You make a valid defense of the Hitchcock comparison even though some of the examples are a little vague, such as cool blonde, tension building, use of darkness, famous landmarks. Also the plot of FRWL doesn't revolve around mistaken identity in the same way as FNBNW does. All thrillers build on "real life" tension so this isn't strictly exclusive to Hitchcock nor more than it is to say Fritz Lang, Orson Welles or W.S. Van Dyke. Of course trains feature quite heavily in Hitchcock movies including The 39 Steps; The Lady Vanishes; Shadow of a Doubt and Strangers on a Train so I can see a connection but not necessarily an influence.

Characters switching sides can be attributed to most wartime thrillers and again it isn't exclusively a Hitchcock trait but I can see a connection nevertheless. Darkness being used as a motif is not solely confined to Hitchcock and could be found in most thrillers of that period. Funny, I always thought the colour red was associated more with impending doom which Hitchcock used reservedly in his movies more so than shadows or night time? I know there's been countless books written that can go into far greater detail than I can afford to spend on the subject, but I do find some of the links rather tenuous in proving that FRWL is more down to Hitchcock than it is to the mighty pen of Fleming. Though I can see some attenuated examples I'm not wholly convinced that Hitchcock should get any credit for FRWL just because it features a train, a blonde, foreign locations and subterfuge. Maybe John Buchan had some influence but only a slight one. Basically, I see more connections that are incidental more so than influential - but I guess we see what we want to see.

PS. Ernest Lehman wrote North By Northwest.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 259
    bondsum wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

You make a valid defense of the Hitchcock comparison even though some of the examples are a little vague, such as cool blonde, tension building, use of darkness, famous landmarks. Also the plot of FRWL doesn't revolve around mistaken identity in the same way as FNBNW does. All thrillers build on "real life" tension so this isn't strictly exclusive to Hitchcock nor more than it is to say Fritz Lang, Orson Welles or W.S. Van Dyke. Of course trains feature quite heavily in Hitchcock movies including The 39 Steps; The Lady Vanishes; Shadow of a Doubt and Strangers on a Train so I can see a connection but not necessarily an influence.

Characters switching sides can be attributed to most wartime thrillers and again it isn't exclusively a Hitchcock trait but I can see a connection nevertheless. Darkness being used as a motif is not solely confined to Hitchcock and could be found in most thrillers of that period. Funny, I always thought the colour red was associated more with impending doom which Hitchcock used reservedly in his movies more so than shadows or night time? I know there's been countless books written that can go into far greater detail than I can afford to spend on the subject, but I do find some of the links rather tenuous in proving that FRWL is more down to Hitchcock than it is to the mighty pen of Fleming. Though I can see some attenuated examples I'm not wholly convinced that Hitchcock should get any credit for FRWL just because it features a train, a blonde, foreign locations and subterfuge. Maybe John Buchan had some influence but only a slight one. Basically, I see more connections that are incidental more so than influential - but I guess we see what we want to see.

PS. Ernest Lehman wrote North By Northwest.

Oh by the way, did you know Hitchcock was offered to direct James Bond film several time. Even Fleming wanted Hitchcock to direct a JB film, this was talk about on another topic:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/176026#Comment_176026

Without North by Northwest, I guess From Russia with Love wouldn't have been a good attention grabber. FRWL was influenced by Hitchcock's North by Northwest (and some of his other film) and Skyfall did it again (using The Dark Knight as a major inspiration).