Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Getafix wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Man, I love Ken Watanabe and want him in any Bond film; that is fine with me! Tom Hardy in a side role would be great. But I want Craig as Bond for at least 2 more.

As Tiger Tanaka, Bond's Japanese contact ;)

That would be good. I'd like to see Tiger return in a new story.

Seriously, I'd LOVE Bond to come back to Japan! There are some amazing places to film here, gorgeous scenery, unique culture, etc. I wouldn't want a remake of YOLT but a new story set here, yes! And wasn't one of the later Bond novelists set on some island in Japan? I cannot remember. And no matter what, more Watanabe for me.
    What is it about people on here and REMAKES of films already made? If that started to happen it would signal the beginning of the end for the franchise. How about Star Wars being remade? Or Lord of the Rings? There would be an outcry to leave them well alone.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote:
    What is it about people on here and REMAKES of films already made? If that started to happen it would signal the beginning of the end for the franchise. How about Star Wars being remade? Or Lord of the Rings? There would be an outcry to leave them well alone.

I for one am not for Bond remakes, let me make that perfectly clear. I am all for using thusfar unused Fleming material from novels already filmed though. There's a brilliant story in MR, the novel, but they left it mostly untouched for the film. Would a differently titled adaptation of MR upset me? Not at all. But it would it be a remake? No, it wouldn't be.

That said, I don't think the parallel holds. Star Wars and LOTR are each episodes of one large story, much more enslaved to nearly perfect continuity than the Bonds. Every detail matters, there's little room for creative freedom as fans leave little oxygen for the filmmakers to go nuts with the established material. The Bonds, however, can be allowed a bit of freedom to try something new. Each film is different from the previous one and few are connected, even in the most subtle of ways. Star Wars and LOTR are very rigorous in many respects. To alter a sacred element is to commit professional suicide. We may have our complaints from time to time, but in the end EON makes the call and we swallow it.

Really not impressed with the idea of Tom Hardy as Bond. He didn't leave much of an impression on me in Inception. He just looks like a goon to me. Daniel Craig borders the line of thug, but still has enough class about him to carry the Bond role. Tom Hardy not so much. There's nothing suave about him. But he does seem to be a good villain, from what I've seen in TDKR trailers.

Tom Hardy for my money would be best served as a return to the classic blond henchmen: ala Necros, Kriegler, Hans, etc. We haven't seen that in a while, and it would be a nice homage.
    Nolan would be one of the best choices around by far. I've been saying this for years, and every film he makes convinces me of this point that much more. He is an extremely skilled filmmaker and has that rare ability to implement an art-house sensibility into big-budget studio filmmaking. Also, he works very well with actors, which in the Craig era is a big asset. Best of all, he is a self-admitted Bond fan, and his work shows it. It's a perfect fit. I truly, truly hope this happens at some point.

The only caveat to him is that he is too big already, too much of an auteur, and I'm not sure how well that will go over with EON, even though they have loosened the reigns a bit in recent years. I'm just going to hope for the best.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I for one am not for Bond remakes, let me make that perfectly clear. I am all for using thusfar unused Fleming material from novels already filmed though. There's a brilliant story in MR, the novel, but they left it mostly untouched for the film. Would a differently titled adaptation of MR upset me? Not at all. But it would it be a remake? No, it wouldn't be.

That said, I don't think the parallel holds. Star Wars and LOTR are each episodes of one large story, much more enslaved to nearly perfect continuity than the Bonds. Every detail matters, there's little room for creative freedom as fans leave little oxygen for the filmmakers to go nuts with the established material. The Bonds, however, can be allowed a bit of freedom to try something new. Each film is different from the previous one and few are connected, even in the most subtle of ways. Star Wars and LOTR are very rigorous in many respects. To alter a sacred element is to commit professional suicide. We may have our complaints from time to time, but in the end EON makes the call and we swallow it.

I can see what you are saying DD. I am happy for unused material to be used certainly, and similiar action sequences incorporated into a new movies. But a full blown remake of original movies is a no no for me.

Its quite obvious that Bond is gonna be in situations where he uses a car, bike, boat, plane.....etc. But to repeat an entire story already done, and having to convince a movie studio to finance it? When they could finance a brand new adventure in the series? I would take a new one everytime.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    The more I think about it the more I think they should give Nolan a go.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I can see what you are saying DD. I am happy for unused material to be used certainly, and similiar action sequences incorporated into a new movies. But a full blown remake of original movies is a no no for me.

Very much seconded.

Any new film, whether fully original or not, should be substantially different from the existing films. When remakes are the only way to go, they got nowhere left to go...

...unless perhaps in a different medium. As discussed before and in other threads, they could re-adapt the novels into material for a TV series or whatnot, but then totally disconnected from the films. That said, I'm not so sure that a faithful adaptation of the novels would indeed be a remake of any of the films, as most of the films are themselves not very faithful adaptations of Fleming's novels (or no adaptations at all.)

DarthDimi wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Very much seconded.

Any new film, whether fully original or not, should be substantially different from the existing films. When remakes are the only way to go, they got nowhere left to go...

...unless perhaps in a different medium. As discussed before and in other threads, they could re-adapt the novels into material for a TV series or whatnot, but then totally disconnected from the films. That said, I'm not so sure that a faithful adaptation of the novels would indeed be a remake of any of the films, as most of the films are themselves not very faithful adaptations of Fleming's novels (or no adaptations at all.)

If they turned them to TV? Would you get the big expensive stunt and action sequences too? I would also guess the inevitable comparrisons to the movies both positive and negative would happen too.
    Firstly, I don't think a faithful adaptation of Fleming's books requires all that much stunt work. Only very occasionally would they have to bring out the big money.

Secondly, TV crews can handle quite a bit these days. They seem to be working a lot more efficiently and the results are often of cinematic quality.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Firstly, I don't think a faithful adaptation of Fleming's books requires all that much stunt work. Only very occasionally would they have to bring out the big money.

Secondly, TV crews can handle quite a bit these days. They seem to be working a lot more efficiently and the results are often of cinematic quality.

If they had a 24 kind of pace and intensity? I could well be interested as i love that show, and look forward to the film when it arrives. :-bd
    As already stated by someone else, why not go back to the Fleming novels and use the full stories but with a different name. This way they can stretch Fleming out for years to come. Everyone knows there are only few (six?) basic story lines. Why not recognise this and accept that at some level we have to remake the existing stories. Elements of the different films are always repeated any way. How many films include a Royal Navy ship under mysterious attack at the start? At least three.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm all in favour of taking un-used material and characters from the books and use them in the films. Remakes? No chance.
    I think Nolan would be a great shout. Love some of his earlier work. As for comments about using some of Flemings as yet unused storylines, I'm all for that but think as many others do that this should be woven into an original movie plot with original movie title and no attempt should be made of alternative remakes (i.e Moonraker) etc should be attempted.
    I think if Nolan can get a Heath Ledger Joker performance out of a future actor again, this would be perfect for a Bond villain. In fact, this is exactly what Bond needs--a maniacal, over-the-top villain. Nolan is often perceived as super-serious and dark, but there was a lot of humour in Ledger's performance. He was highly entertaining in that role. I would like to see that element brough to the screen in a Nolan-Bond film.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I think if Nolan can get a Heath Ledger Joker performance out of a future actor again, this would be perfect for a Bond villain. In fact, this is exactly what Bond needs--a maniacal, over-the-top villain. Nolan is often perceived as super-serious and dark, but there was a lot of humour in Ledger's performance. He was highly entertaining in that role. I would like to see that element brough to the screen in a Nolan-Bond film.

I agree with your comment. Heath Ledger's performance was fantastic and very memorable. Bond could do with a maniacal over the top villain of similar impact. Both CR and especially QOS have villians that lack the presence of the more memorable villians of the classic Bond films. Time to redress the balance.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would love for Nolan to do a Bond film, but I'm taking it one step at a time and waiting to see how Mendes does.

I was reading an interview with him in the Empire, and he stated that, after Craig approached him about directing the film, he said he would only do it if he were absolutely sure he could do his absolute best job with the film, and wouldn't for a second consider such a commitment if he knew it wouldn't be the best it could be.

That's what I like to hear.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I would love for Nolan to do a Bond film, but I'm taking it one step at a time and waiting to see how Mendes does.

I was reading an interview with him in the Empire, and he stated that, after Craig approached him about directing the film, he said he would only do it if he were absolutely sure he could do his absolute best job with the film, and wouldn't for a second consider such a commitment if he knew it wouldn't be the best it could be.

That's what I like to hear.

So Craig approached Nolan? That changes things. Perhaps he is not as keen on the job as I thought.

It is incredible how mjch say Craig seems to have. It must put a lot of strain on him to feel that he has so much responsibility - helping choose directors, working on scripts etc.

Dalton certainly didn't have this kind of input. Apparently he saw the LTK script for the first time 10 days before filming began.

This all sort of makes you wonder what BB and MGW actually do.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,568
    Getafix wrote:
    So Craig approached Nolan? That changes things. Perhaps he is not as keen on the job as I thought.

It is incredible how mjch say Craig seems to have. It must put a lot of strain on him to feel that he has so much responsibility - helping choose directors, working on scripts etc.

Dalton certainly didn't have this kind of input. Apparently he saw the LTK script for the first time 10 days before filming began.

This all sort of makes you wonder what BB and MGW actually do.

Let's not jump to conclusions too fast. BB and MGW still do most of the work but they collaborate with Craig. Connery had some saying in DAF back in the day but in the end, the actor won't get producer's credit just yet. ;-)

Getafix wrote:

Looks like you misread that, Getafix. He meant Craig approached Mendes, not Nolan.
    @Getafix, @bondsum was right. I was speaking of how Craig approached Mendes, because of their history together on 'Road to Perdition'.
    I love the idea of Bond classics being remade. Imagine the The Man with the Golden Gum bein done properly with a real actor!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I love the idea of Bond classics being remade. Imagine the The Man with the Golden Gum bein done properly with a real actor!

TMWTGG or YOLT yes, but FRWL or OHMSS?
    Well he did say he'd like to work with Bane..sorry Tom Hardy (he'd make a good Bond for sure, saw it in Inception) I for one would love it.
    LeChiffre wrote:

They shouldn't remake any of them. End of.
    I think the official Bond films are along a line of movies that just should not be remade in any way, shape, or form, along with classics such as Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Psycho (wait a minute...), etc.

But, time will tell, and I can't say I'll be too shocked if Hollywood ever decides to remake any of them. Seems to be the approach they take these days: prequels, reboots, remakes, etc.

On topic, I still stand with the thought that Nolan would be an excellent choice to helm a Bond film, but like he says, it would have to be under the right circumstances at the right time.

I also read that Spielberg stated he would have loved to do a Bond film, but he never did, and now, they "can't afford him."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I have heard from my friend that there is a COLORED VERSION OF CASABLANCA!!! Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be sent to the gallows. If there is ever a remake of any of the films I listed the "what's wrong with the youth" thread, I will see some jail time, I am certain. I heard about a Some Like It Hot remake, and that had best not happen either. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. X(
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think the official Bond films are along a line of movies that just should not be remade in any way, shape, or form, along with classics such as Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Psycho (wait a minute...), etc.

But, time will tell, and I can't say I'll be too shocked if Hollywood ever decides to remake any of them. Seems to be the approach they take these days: prequels, reboots, remakes, etc.

On topic, I still stand with the thought that Nolan would be an excellent choice to helm a Bond film, but like he says, it would have to be under the right circumstances at the right time.

I also read that Spielberg stated he would have loved to do a Bond film, but he never did, and now, they "can't afford him."

Aren't several of the Bond movies already essentially remakes of themselves though?

I agree that 'remakes' using the same title is not a good idea, but re-using stories and plots is basically what's been going on since the Roger era.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Aren't several of the Bond movies already essentially remakes of themselves though?

I agree that 'remakes' using the same title is not a good idea, but re-using stories and plots is basically what's been going on since the Roger era.

Certainly YOLT-TSWLM-MR, and arguably DAF-DAD. But are these virtual remakes a good thing?
    Spy was successful and to a certain extent MR. DAF was bad to start with so no wonder DAD was total crud.