Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Plykshow wrote:
    No, just no. I don't think I can sit through another Christopher Nolan film, not even if it was a Bond one.

Why? Can you give us a reason?
    Plykshow wrote:
    Besides, its going be exactly the same as that crappy Lazenby film, except it will go on for four hours instead of two

A) You are sure it will be another OHMSS? Why?
    B) "crappy" Lazenby film. Any arguments against OHMSS?
    C) And why would a Nolan Bond film play twice as long?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,691
    It's not certain that the style of the next Bond will match Nolan's style.

If Nolan will ever direct a Bond film I suspect he would want to cast a Bond actor himself. To quote him again:

"It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things.”

EON would never allow a new director to participate in the casting of the new Bond.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 4,619
    EON would never allow a new director to participate strongly in the casting of the new Bond.

Well, even Martin Campbell participated strongly in the casting of Bond back in 2005, even though he did not have the final word.

EON seems to give their directors more and more freedom with each movie since CR.

Also, people were saying last year: "EON would never allow a new director to replace David Arnold"....
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    EON would never allow a new director to participate strongly in the casting of the new Bond.

Well, even Martin Campbell participated strongly in the casting of Bond back in 2005, even though he did not have the final word.

EON seems to give their directors more and more freedom with each movie since CR.

Also, people were saying last year: "EON would never allow a new director to replace David Arnold"....

sorry but CR is the film where the director had the least amount of freedom. DAD and QOS were the ones where the director had the most freedom.

Campbell had no say whatsoever for the style that CR would take.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'd love Nolan for a Bond movie. I really liked Inception and it still grows on me. I think he would do a truly great job helming a Bond film.
    sorry but CR is the film where the director had the least amount of freedom. DAD and QOS were the ones where the director had the most freedom.

I was saying that Campbell was involved in the casting process regarding the new Bond actor. And that is a fact.

I was saying that Campbell was involved in the casting process regarding the new Bond actor. And that is a fact.

how so ? Daniel Craig was already a 'hot' candidate months before Campbell was chosen as director.

Craig was already a 'hot' candidate months before Campbell was chosen as director.

Martin Campbell was announced to direct CR on 3rd February 2005.
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_announced.php3?t=bond21&s=bond21

Craig was nowhere near being a hot candidate at that time.
    Craig was already a 'hot' candidate months before Campbell was chosen as director.

Martin Campbell was announced to direct CR on 3rd February 2005.
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_announced.php3?t=bond21&s=bond21

Craig was nowhere near being a hot candidate at that time.

it's common knowledge that Craig was strongly considered/talked about by EON once Layer Cake was released.... in october 2004...... 4 months before Campbell was chosen as director.....

and I seem to remember that Campbell said in early 2004 that he'd only direct the new Bond film if Clive Owen was Bond.... so obviously Campbell didn't participate much in the casting.......
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Plykshow wrote:
    Besides, its going be exactly the same as that crappy Lazenby film, except it will go on for four hours instead of two

Plykshow you are painfully misguided on more levels than the Burj Khalifa. A four hour film on a par with OHMSS would be Bondian Nirvana.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    He wants Bond but I'm confident he'll never get the chance, sadly. It's just a dream. He's too big of a name, now.
    I would not rule anything out these days. I could see it happening.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    He wants Bond but I'm confident he'll never get the chance, sadly. It's just a dream. He's too big of a name, now.

I couldn't disagree more. He wants to direct a Bond movie. EON is keen to hire a big name director (unlike in the past). It will happen. He won't direct Bond 24, maybe not even Bond 25, but once Craig is done, and he can choose (together with EON) a new actor to play the part, I'm sure we'll se a Bond film by Christopher Nolan.

and I seem to remember that Campbell said in early 2004 that he'd only direct the new Bond film if Clive Owen was Bond.... so obviously Campbell didn't participate much in the casting.......

He did participate in the casting, although if he had had the final word than Henry Cavill would be James Bond right now.
    Does Nolan need a new Bond? I suppose he would prefer something fresh to work with.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. He wants to direct a Bond movie. EON is keen to hire a big name director (unlike in the past). It will happen. He won't direct Bond 24, maybe not even Bond 25, but once Craig is done, and he can choose (together with EON) a new actor to play the part, I'm sure we'll se a Bond film by Christopher Nolan.

Maybe. It seems like too big of an idea to comprehend at the moment and so very far off in the future at the moment. At least Nolan has met with EON, this gives it some weight.

He's willing to wait his turn, so that's positive. I'd rather it be with Craig as Bond personally but perhaps it's best if he has his hand in casting the actor who will take over from him instead.
  • For him to even say this or suggest it would mean that he's throwing it out there to EON, if they haven't talked about the 2014 release already.

His homage and affection to Bond is obvious in most of his films and indeed the air jack scene in the new batman movie is proof of that. A director as talented as Nolan who has great respect for Bond - it's a no brainer really. He's got to be given the chance to do it with DC at his peak as Bond, hasn't he?

One thing though no to Di-Craprio as a baddy.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,990

[/quote]

What people? Once Eon let Forster not hire Daniel Kleinman, precedent was set. Arnold's nonhiring wasn't a surprise.

But back on topic, Nolan would demand more control (his wife is his producer, his brother his co-writer) than Babs and MGW would be willing to give up.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Does Nolan need a new Bond? I suppose he would prefer something fresh to work with.

My worry is that he would only do it if he could choose the Bond actor. He always likes to use actors/actresses he is familiar with.
    Getafix wrote:

My worry is that he would only do it if he could choose the Bond actor. He always likes to use actors/actresses he is familiar with.

My fear is he would pick Tom Hardy as Bond, or my hope would be he would pick Bale for Bond.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

My fear is he would pick Tom Hardy as Bond, or my hope would be he would pick Bale for Bond.
    Or try to get DiCaprio in there. Love the guy, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Getafix wrote:

That's true! It's like a Company of actors.

I'm ok with Nolan's Bond as far as it's not a reboot... gives us some continuity in the Craig timeline!
    echo wrote:
    What people?
    Basically everyone.
    echo wrote:
    Once Eon let Forster not hire Daniel Kleinman, precedent was set. Arnold's nonhiring wasn't a surprise.

Arnold's nonhiring wasn't only a surprise, it was a HUGE surprise. The composer is a far more important person on a movie than the main title designer.
    What else will we get...Marion Cotillard as Bond girl or Moneypenny, Joseph Gordin Levitt as Felix.
    Michael Caine as M, Ken Watanabe as a Chinese villain... the list is endless!
    echo wrote:
    What people?
    Basically everyone.
    echo wrote:
    Once Eon let Forster not hire Daniel Kleinman, precedent was set. Arnold's nonhiring wasn't a surprise.

Arnold's nonhiring wasn't only a surprise, it was a HUGE surprise. The composer is a far more important person on a movie than the main title designer.

you mean it was a relief for 80% of this forum ?
    JBFan626 wrote:
    What else will we get...Marion Cotillard as Bond girl or Moneypenny, Joseph Gordin Levitt as Felix.

Or...LIAM NEESON AS A BADDIE!

how so ? Daniel Craig was already a 'hot' candidate months before Campbell was chosen as director.

I heard Campbell was involved and he originally wanted Ewan Mcgegor.

Anyway, I'd love a Nolan Bond film, him, Tarantino, Katheryn Bigelow and John Mctierman are my top choices (although they probably won't happen).
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 176
    I found a few instances where Nolan reused actors but it's nothing major. He's not like Scorcese.

marymoss wrote:
    I was going to ask where Nolan reuses actors but I found some instances--Levitt, Caine is all I have now but I'm not really doing an in-depth search.

Michael Caine in inception and Prestige, Bale in Prestige, Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy from inception to dark knight rises.

edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    marymoss wrote:
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. Where does Nolan reuse actors except for Batman and you can't count that.
    Joseph, Tom, Michael, Cillian Murphy, and Marion are all in Batman and Inception. Bale is in BB, TDK, and TDKR after being in The Prestige, another Nolan film. Ken Wantanabe was in Inception and played Ra's aL Ghul's decoy in Batman Begins.