Christopher Nolan wants to direct a Bond

Comments

Please NO, his Batman movies are a depressing lot I do not want to see that happen with 007.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Please NO, his Batman movies are a depressing lot I do not want to see that happen with 007.

Have you seen any of his other work.. he does more than Batman.

Inception isn't depressing. You know, the film with scenes based on OHMSS.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Actually I have seen all his work and for that reason I can safely say that TDKR will be seen on dvd if at all.
    He does not speak my cinematic language.

SaintMark wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Actually I have seen all his work and for that reason I can safely say that TDKR will be seen on dvd if at all.
    He does not speak my cinematic language.

What are your interests?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:

They are depressing, they are emotionally gratifying. Films can have emotion and still avoid being depressing to watch. Lighten your horizons, mate, and don't be so dramatic about it.
    Nolan would be amazing. He is not only one of the best directors today (like Sam Mendes) and a huge Bond fan (like Sam Mendes) he also has a lot of experience with large action movies (unlike Mendes).

“It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things.” To me this sounds like he would want to cast a Bond actor himself.
    “It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things.” To me this sounds like he would want to cast a Bond actor himself.

I think it'd still be a good follow up to CraigBond though. It would be similar in style and tone, and the stories would likely focus on Bond's career. After all, that's what the books are about. I don't think he'd get into suicide girlfriend territory, but it wouldn't be Brosnan or Moore.
    Let's not have this turn into a Speilberg situation and have him talk about it only to never do it and leaving us Bond fans with the ultimate "what if" question
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I like the idea and he seems to be in no hurry. I can see Craig's era running it's course then Nolan can come in with a new Bond and a fresh start; I'm in.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 7,653
    SaintMark wrote:

They are depressing, they are emotionally gratifying. Films can have emotion and still avoid being depressing to watch. Lighten your horizons, mate, and don't be so dramatic about it.

removed by mod I just don't like Nolans work and I give the reason why. ANd your most intelligent response is: "Lighten up don't be dramatic"

You should stop being a removed by mod if somebody doesn't agree with you or your world vision.
    I respect your opinion about the movies the last sentence shows your immaturity towards different opinions.

O:-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I just don't like Nolans work and I give the reason why. ANd your most intelligent response is: "Lighten up don't be dramatic"

You should stop being a removed by mod if somebody doesn't agree with you or your world vision.
    I respect your opinion about the movies the last sentence shows your immaturity towards different opinions.

O:-)
    I'm fine with different opinions. I gave advice, because you seemed to be making too big a deal out of the situation. Bond will never get depressing, and I don't see how people find Nolan's Batman work depressing. That's all I said, so just pop in a Moore film if Skyfall is too emotional, but I like my films to have depth. And like I said, films can be emotional and avoid being depressing. Don't comment on maturity when I gave advice, while you said "removed by mod".
    Everybody wants to direct a Bond film, just because they say they want to, doesn't necessarily indicate that they will get the opportunity. I don't know much about this Nolan, I'm not even that familiar with any of his directorial resume, at least never watched any of his work, Batmans return, The Dark Knight etc, for a start I wouldn't watch anything like that now, but that's not to say I wouldn't say no if he attempted a Bond directorial duty, just a bit skeptical as to how it would turn out, I simply don't know enough about the man at this stage

Yesterday it was Tarantino, the week before someone else, and the week before that, another significant Hollywood name, and now this Nolan guy, tomorrow it will be someone else, could be Spielberg, McTiernan or John Smith etc

Bottom line is, Nolan wants a go at Bond, is it a good idea?, probably not, but that's maybe because I'm not all up on his work, he could be the best director in the world for all I know, but seems unlikely. In all probability he will get nowhere near such a project, you know how these stories go, but it seems to have generated a bit of a response

So Nolan wants to direct a Bond...
    Who doesn't?
    Tarantino, Nolan. Lets just bring out all the big names:
    SCORSESE
    OLIVER STONE
    MCTIERNAN
    JAMES CAMERON
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Heck if Stanley Kubrick were alive he'd want to direct a bond too.
    Shyyyyttt
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,979
    I find Nolan to be a cold director and not a good fit for Bond.

If Eon decides to go with other Oscar-winning directors, I would love to see Kathryn Bigelow direct one.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Who doesn't?
    SCORSESE
    OLIVER STONE
    MCTIERNAN
    JAMES CAMERON
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Shyyyyttt

This is basically it

If I had a dollar for every time someone wanted a shot at Directing a Bond film, I could be swimming in riches by now

The names must be into triple figures by now for sure

I'd like to direct a Bond film, but I'm guessing I'll never have that opportunity

I think it's just something directors invariably say, Bond movies are in production, they must fail to go unnoticed, and every director under the sun must think at some stage - 'I'd fancy a go at that' etc. It's only to be expected, even if only a percentage of them come out and actually mention it, but these instances are pretty frequent now I'm noticing

• edited June 2012 Posts: 660
    why not hire Nolan to be a writer instead? I sure he is way better than NP and RW
    why not hire Nolan to be a writer instead? I sure he is way better than PW and RN

Who?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Purvis and Wade.
    Nolan will be perfect to direct a Bond movie! Love all his movie.
    As long as he doesn´t let Zimmer do the score, I´m in.
    boldfinger wrote:
    As long as he doesn´t let Zimmer do the score, I´m in.

I'm sorry but Zimmer is one of the best, if not the best, in his work right now. For me he's the best with Alberto Iglesias. All of their work is simply wonderful, many don't know Alberto Iglesias though... (if you don't know him search him in youtube he's the one who scored Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for example).

And about Nolan, I think he is quite good, he's quite overrated though. I would rather see Zimmer coming than Nolan in direction, however if he was coming as a writer then I would be as pleased with him as with Hans.
    From what we have seen so far? I would like Mendes to do another if possible? If not? Why not let Nolan helm a Bond film. From his eagerness? I am guessing he has quite a few ideas of his own in mind?
    Well, this just sound perfect. The greatest match on earth in my opinion. The most talented director of our time and an franchise with incredible potential (a potential which has been thrown away so many times). Nolan would, I feel, also be a good continuation to Mendes. And someone mentioned Zimmer, please-please-please let him do the score! Just listen to Time from Inception...C´est parfait!
    I am not a huge Nolan fan but he is talented. Why not give him a shot? We seem to have already entered a period where u need to have directed a best picture to get the gig
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Don’t really see the reason for all the negativity here. Nolan has made a great fist of Batman and is big name director with a solid string of hits behind him. We should be happy that directors of this calibre want to work on Bond or would people here prefer a return to plodding journeymen such as Glen, Spottiswoode, Tamahori and, lets be honest here, Campbell?

Of course if he demands total creative control then EON should tell him to do one but I don’t see any harm in letting him write the script under EONs supervision (but then I would rather have a dyslexic blind man had access to the word processor for Bond 24 rather than P & W).

What we don’t want is a total reboot - we’ve just had that with CR - but his take on the Bond universe with a new Bond post Craig and a story with maybe a reborn SPECTRE and new Blofeld (don’t EON own all Kevins rights now?) as a trilogy gets me excited. Although that sounds perfect for Craig so maybe Nolan could come in for Bond 24 and start this off, although he doesn’t work terribly fast and I don’t think Daniel has 3 more Bonds in him.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,441
    No.

TDK mis action and humor. Batman Begins is better, stil i think it mis some entertainment to think he should do a Bond movie. If Nolan whant to make a change he should get more experience in other gerne's or at entertainment/humor to his thriller gerne (step a side from style like he did for Batman, The Prestige & Inception.) and mabey consider to work with other crew/cast members. Wally Pfister his cinematographer is not a problem to have to work on Bond, he also did The Italian Job who is uncredit written by Pervis and Wade. For example why not direct The Thomas Crown Afair 2 or Salt 2.

Also i don't whant Hans Zimmer and iam a fan of his music.

For DAD Eon try to make another Mi2, there hired the wrong editor and should have ask Stuard Baid (uncredit on Mi2 and finaly ask for CR and Skyfall) in the first place. If there ask Hans Zimmer it be another thing there try to get from Mi2.

OHMSS69 wrote:
    Who doesn't?
    SCORSESE
    OLIVER STONE
    MCTIERNAN
    JAMES CAMERON
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Shyyyyttt

Mctierman from this list is the only one i have consider for a Brosnan Bond movie, mabey then Nolan be second and mabey i have been happy if Ridley Scott have done Die Another Day. People like Oliver Stone i wil not accept making a Bond movie. To politic.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I think it'd still be a good follow up to CraigBond though. It would be similar in style and tone, and the stories would likely focus on Bond's career. After all, that's what the books are about. I don't think he'd get into suicide girlfriend territory, but it wouldn't be Brosnan or Moore.

No Bond tenure has been similar in style to its immediate predecessor. Moore was different from Connery, Dalton was different from Moore, Brosnan from Dalton and Craig from Brosnan.... the franchise only survives because it changes style with each new Bond..... I'm not saying they'll cast a new Sir Rog after Craig, but that it will most certainly be made in a different style... after all, Bond would be dead long ago if each Bond followed the style of Connery.... they change style so each Bond can make his marks on the franchise.

besides, those who love serious Bond film cannot hold the franchise hostage, and nor the ones who want more humorous Bond films.... with each new tenure, EON will please a part of the audience, and displease another part.... they won't please the same people over and over again for the next 50 years, otherwise the franchise will end up dead..... Bond has got to diversify itself, you know ? you have to realise that you won't get Craig-type movies forever... most likely when Craig will leave, the films will change style.

so the best chance to have Nolan direct a Bond film would be during Craig's tenure, as both their styles match. It's not certain that the style of the next Bond will match Nolan's style.
    Nolan would be perfect for directing a Craig Bond film. This is easily seen in his excellent Batman films.
  • PlykshowPlykshow Kent, United Kingdom
    No, just no. I don't think I can sit through another Christopher Nolan film, not even if it was a Bond one. Besides, its going be exactly the same as that crappy Lazenby film, except it will go on for four hours instead of two
    It's not certain that the style of the next Bond will match Nolan's style.

If Nolan will ever direct a Bond film I suspect he would want to cast a Bond actor himself. To quote him again:

"It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things.”