Favourite Bond Moments - Round 26: NTTD- Part 2: Ranking

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I agree that most of the good stuff comes in the first half. Pts, the opening intro of GF cheating at cards, Shirley Eaton covered in gold (with a mentionof that sweet little scene where Bonds nabs the keys from the maid), Q giving Bond his Aston, the Golf match (which is bound to be in everyone's list!) the car chase at night, the laser table, GF reveals his plan over a mint julep, the attack on Fort Knox and the electryfying exit of Oddjob!

Pretty much summed up everything that I like too.

Except maybe for two more things: following Goldfinger through the Alpine roads and investigating his factory.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Pts
    Bond and M drinking with Smithers
    Golf scene with GF try to cheat, but Bond knows.
    Drived to and Kild at Car graveyard
    Meeting Tilly Masterson (Bond destroyd wheels of her car)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Yes, Bond and M drinking and talking about gold is another good scene.

I love everything about the first half. Before Bond lands in Kentucky. The first half is a perfect film for me and the second half is a good film.
    The golden girl and the laser table are VERY iconic. But which one is the better moment? And would you rank them even higher than the great golf duel? I'm not sure yet how to rank my favourite moments.
    I'm not a big fan of the final fight against Oddjob but his death is one of the best of the series.
    The golden girl snatches it for me. Revealing that gold-painted body with that eerie music cue is a truly chilling moment. While the exchange in the laser scene is great, it doesn't have quite as much of an impact for me.
    The golden girl and the laser table are VERY iconic. But which one is the better moment? And would you rank them even higher than the great golf duel? I'm not sure yet how to rank my favourite moments.
    I'm not a big fan of the final fight against Oddjob but his death is one of the best of the series.

The Golden girl scene would nab it for me too!
    Stunningly realised sequence.
    Agree about the Oddjob fight, not as good as it could have been, but his death is one of the best staged!
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,378
    Yes, the laser scene is cool because of the dialogue while the golden girl fascinates me even more due to the perfect combination of sound, image and Bond's facial reaction. I believe that the laser scene must have been very thrilling on the first watch on the big screen. It remains a strong scene of course (also after many many rewatches) but the fascination of the golden girl reveal is almost as high as when I would watch it for the first time.

I asked the same question around a year ago in my weekly Bond poll and the laser scene got 13 votes while the golden girl got 12.
    Yes, the laser scene is cool because of the dialogue while the golden girl fascinates me even more due to the perfect combination of sound, image and Bond's facial reaction. I believe that the laser scene must have been very thrilling on the first watch on the big screen. It remains a strong scene of course (also after many many rewatches) but the fascination of the golden girl reveal is almost as high as when I would watch it for the first time.

I asked the same question around a year ago in my weekly Bond poll and the laser scene got 13 votes while the golden girl got 12.

You forgot to mention Barrys music, which also plays its part!
    Yes, Barry knows how to increase the thrill in a very effective way there. However, I have to admit that I don't like the laser table score that much when I listen to it on vinyl.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 6,844
    Goldfinger is one classy affair all around, and yes Barry's iconic music plays a large hand in that. Somehow Barry's score manages to suggest both the shimmering luminosity and the harsh metallic composition of gold, filling one simultaneously with awe and dread—a perfect combination especially for those two well-contested scenes you're debating, the death of Jill and the laser table. I'd give the edge to the laser table myself just for the sheer tension of the scenario and the palpable sweat on Connery's brow.

The PTS of course is a classic. It was the first time the teaser played like a mini-movie and is one of the few occasions the PTS has nothing to do with the rest of the film (apart from a reason for Bond to be in Miami). In three and a half minutes it's a self-contained Bond classic in its own right full of iconic moments and imagery: stripping out of the wetsuit into a white tuxedo with dashing red boutonnière, squeezing out the plastic explosive to Barry's ticking clock tempo, lighting up and glancing at the watch just in time for the explosion, and of course the enduring "Shocking...positively shocking" before the door slam heralds in Barry and Bassey's equally arresting title song.

But several other scenes command attention too, such as Bond strolling into Goldfinger's suite to find Jill lounging on the balcony with binoculars and radio, an opportunity for Connery's best "Bond...James Bond" in my opinion and his first tête-à-tête with Goldfinger. The briefing with M and Smithers is beautifully staged and filmed. The first glimpse inside Q Branch is rife with humor and its own share of classic dialogue. The pursuit of Goldfinger down the winding alpine pass is full of gorgeous views and backed by Barry being alternately playful and breezily sweeping in his orchestration. The first bit of banter with Pussy Galore aboard the Lockheed Jetstar and toying with the peeping Mei-Lei while shaving are up there too among the film's most enjoyable scenes.

Though my favorite likely remains Bond facing Oddjob in Fort Knox's vault as Goldfinger's bomb ticks away with tension-filled inevitability. Ken Adam's tremendous set aside—and it may very well be his finest achievement, at the very least up there with Dr. No's tarantula room and the volcano lair of You Only Live Twice—it's seeing Bond up against such tremendous odds that makes this standoff the highlight of the film for me. With both his impossible gold brick-deflecting, golf ball-pulverizing strength and his wickedly lethal long-range headwear, Oddjob has been built up as the deadliest of Bond's foes. Add to that Bond hastening to free himself of his handcuff and the persistent ticking of the bomb in the background through it all and you have one of the series' most suspenseful and most riveting showdowns.
    Thanks @Some_Kind_Of_Hero Not only is GF full of highlights, your comment is a highlight, too.
  • You're very kind, @goldenswissroyale. This thread was a great idea. I've enjoyed thinking about my favorite parts of each film in the series, and it's great seeing what everyone else's favorite parts are too.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    - Plot reveal at the Fort Knox model
    - Bond and Tilly on the Alpine roads
    - GF's airforce ready for the air raid
    A few other interesting scenes mentioned by @marc. Isn't Sunday a good day to think about the best of the best GF moments? And try to rank the top 5!

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 14: GF - Part 2: Ranking
    1. Golf scene with GF try to cheat, but Bond knows
    2. Meeting Tilly Masterson (Bond destroyd wheels of her car)
    3. PTS
    4. Drived to and Kild at Car graveyard
    5. Bond and M drinking with Smithers
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1. Playing Golf, making a bet and winning
    2. Meeting Jill and watching Goldfinger from her balcony
    3. Jill covered in paint... Gold paint...
    4. Waking up strapped to a table and facing off against the laser
    5. Fight with Odd Job inside of Fort Knox
    @M_Balje Is your number 4 about the murder of Mr. Solo and the car that is crushed?
    1. PTS
    2. Jill Masterson
    3. Golf
    4. Auric Enterprises chase
    5. Fort Knox climax
    @M_Balje Is your number 4 about the murder of Mr. Solo and the car that is crushed?

Yes.

1) PTS
    2) Shirley covered in gold!
    3) Golf match
    4) Night time car chase
    5) Goldfinger reveals his plan over a mint julep!
  • 1. Fighting Oddjob in Fort Knox and countdown of bomb
    2. The PTS
    3. Meeting Jill on balcony and intro to Goldfinger
    4. The laser scene
    5. Meeting Pussy on the Lockheed and shaving business
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 PTS
    2 Fight with Oddjob in Fort Knox
    3 Bond gets knocked out by the refrigerator
    4 Car chase by Auric Enterprises
    5 Laser table
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    1. The laser table (“….No Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!....”)
    2. Fort Knox and the Bomb countdown
    3. PTS
    4. The golf match between Bond and Goldfinger
    5. Jill’s covered in gold

How could I leave off Shirley Bassey’s title song and Robert Brownjohn’s titles? But that speaks to the strength of this film. Also, while not an “iconic” moment, I always enjoy Tania Mallet’s (Tilly Masterson) smile as Bond operates the Aston Martin. Its just a sweet moment.

Any more votes for this all time classic?

1. Golf match (the whole scene! including the discussion afterwords, where we see how Oddjob's hat works and the moment where Bond returns the ball :D
    2. Meeting Jill and watching Goldfinger from her balcony
    3. Golden girl
    4. Oddjob's death
    5. Welcome to Miami (First minute after the titles, great aerial shot with a smart cut after the jump in the pool; and the music tells me"hey, the main part of GF starts now, enjoy")

Honourable mention: Driving through the swiss alps (since I met the spots last summer, as you can see on my photo)

1 PTS
    5 Laser table

Do you also include the golden Jill or only the knock out?
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,609
    1. Plot reveal at the Fort Knox model
    2. Battle for Fort Knox
    3. Bond and Tilly on the Alpine roads (at daytime)
    4. GF's airforce ready for the air raid
    5. Golf game

Honourable mention: 'Mint Julep' plot reveal
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 PTS
    5 Laser table

Do you also include the golden Jill or only the knock out?

Let s include it. The whole sequence is great, and the score and photography play a huge part. It all comes together so nicely. Love the Oddjob theme. Simple, chilling, effective and memorable. Connery is also perfect here.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond gets knocked out by the refrigerator

tenor.gif
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Well revenge is best served Cold ;)
    @Thunderpussy Nice to meet a relative of Thunderfinger. Would be a pleasure to read about your five favourite GF moments, too.