Favourite Bond Moments - Round 26: NTTD- Part 2: Ranking

Comments

I love Octopussy from beginning to end, with Tarzan yell and gorilla suit included. I could highlight so many moments, but for now I'm just going to go with a) that great yo-yo fight scene, in which Moore is part of some very cool fight choreography, and b) that scene in which "you're on your own" as Bond crosses to East Germany; great little moment, perfectly scored.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2021 Posts: 6,759
    Aha one of my favourites:

- PTS
    - 009 gets the knife
    - Sotheby's
    - Soviet council
    - backgammon
    - Q scene
    - Magda tricks Bond
    - dinner with Kamal
    - Bond escapes, Orlov visits Kamal
    - infiltrating OP's island
    - assault at OP's island
    - 'no more problems'
    - M and Bond in Berlin/crossing Checkpoint Charlie
    - confronting Orlov
    - a Mercedes on the rails
    - crossing the Inner German Border/Orlov's demise
    - Alfa Romeo chase
    - Bomb defusing
    - Final showdown
    - a weakened condition
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,002
    1. The twins give chase and 009’s demise - one of the most suspenseful and expertly executed scenes in the franchise. Love the music too.
    2. 00Bozo defuses the bomb. To Roger’s credit, only he could pull off such a scene wearing that costume.
    3. Sotheby’s shenanigans.
    4. Dinner with Kamal.
    5. PTS
    Was reluctant to join in with the SF one but OP, oh yes, lots to enjoy here.
    The pts is wonderful, the most underrated theme song, brilliant opening of 009 pursuit, the auction scene, the Russian War room scene (one of the late, great Peter Lamonts superb creations) backgammon with Khan, Bond and Octopussy (probably Moores most convincing relationship with leading lady), bedroom fight sequence,Bond confronts Orlov on the train, the mercedes stunt scenes and the whole section on the train, the race to the circus and THE best bomb diffusing scene, the climactic stunt on the plane (love Bond chasing the plane on the horse!) Never fails to entertain!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I love Octopussy, very high up the tree for me.
    1, 009 stalked whilst dressed as a clown, very dark. (Perfectly bookended by 007 doing the same thing. I've never seen Bond dressed as a clown silly and will defend that sequence to the hilt)
    2, Sothebys scene.
    3, The scene with M in his office. Very nicely played as Bond shocks him by telling him he swapped the egg and then the little proud smile when Bond leaves.
    4, The backgammon scene. One of Sir Roger's finest moments as Bond when he calls double 6 without even looking, love it.
    5, Vijay's death. Again another dark moment.
    6, Stealing the Alfa and the following chase. (We are long overdue a vehicle being driven by Bond on two wheels. iMO)
    7, The fight on top of a plane. Done for real!! (Are you listening Mr Tamahori, if it can't be done for real don't bother. There, that told him)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    You mentioned already most scenes of the film, haha. There is even more love for the film than I expected.
    I watched it this week and had a great time. The gorilla suit is painful, the jungle action is a bit too much as was disussed enough in other threads. But the rest is full of good or even very good scenes.

I'm not as enthusiastic about the PTS as some of you are (it's good but doesn't stand out as a highlight for me, although I have to admit that Roger is perfect in the moment where he is smiling at the guard and "motivates" them to be distracted by the girl).

The first 20 to 30 minutes after the title sequence are very strong. The tense scene with the clown, Smallbone's eyes...followed by General Orlov and his vigorous war plans (Steven Berkoff deserved more screen time, although his final scene is also very good and surpsingly without Bond's direct involvement).
    The more I watch OP the more I love the auction of the egg. Bond is such a rascal:) Very amusing, and perfectly combined with Fanning's (and later M's) reactions. Afterwords, we jump to India and we get an even better scene than the one before: The backgammon "duel" is a perfect Bond moment. "It's all in the wrist"..."I prefer cash". TB had also a an amusing confrontation of the villain at the game table but can't compete against the one in OP. It's too good!

And is it only me, or is Maud Adams even more attractive here than she was back in 1974? Defintely a wonderful match for Roger and as mentioned by others: a very good way to end the movie. In, out. In, out. Completey free of any soap...

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,879
    I would hate the gorilla scene, but I'm too busy pissing myself laughing, what with the shuffling of the feet, the checking of the wristwatch etc. Great stuff.

edited January 2021 Posts: 4,378
    @QBranch Checking the wristwatch while hiding in the gorilla suit is a great gag in a comedy. But it feels wrong for me in a Bond movie. Too much slap-stick. But let's go back to the celebration of the best moments of OP. And there are many for me.

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 13: OP - Part 2: Ranking
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,608
    my suggestions:

- Bond hurrying to the US base by train and car
    - Gogol catches Orlov but not the train/Orlov death scene
    1. Opening scene with 009
    2. Auction sequence, Rog is great here!
    3. Confronting Orlov on the train.
    4. Diffusing the bomb dressed as a clown. John Glen does sterling work here.
    5. Clinging to the outside of the plane in the climax, thrilling stuntwork!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited January 2021 Posts: 3,985
    Spoilt for choice with the wonderful OP..

1. PTS
    2. Sotherbys auction
    3. Backgammon with Khan
    4. Confrontation with Orlov
    5. The entire chasing and diffusing the bomb sequence
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 pts
    2 Train fight
    3 Orlov s final scene/arrival of Gogol
    4 Bond listens in on Kamal and Orlov
    5 Plane fight
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1. 009's assassination.
    2. Bond races back to the US base/is trying to convince the Americans that a bomb's about to go off.
    3. Fight in Octopussy's bedroom.
    4. Bond confronts Orlov.
    5. Plane fight.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Aha one of my favourites:

- PTS
    - 009 gets the knife
    - Sotheby's
    - Soviet council
    - backgammon
    - Q scene
    - Magda tricks Bond
    - dinner with Kamal
    - Bond escapes, Orlov visits Kamal
    - infiltrating OP's island
    - assault at OP's island
    - 'no more problems'
    - M and Bond in Berlin/crossing Checkpoint Charlie
    - confronting Orlov
    - a Mercedes on the rails
    - crossing the Inner German Border/Orlov's demise
    - Alfa Romeo chase
    - Bomb defusing
    - Final showdown
    - a weakened condition

Ah Octopussy! Like a fine wine it gets better with every viewing, like a box of chocolates where every one of the chocolates is a favourite, no strawberry cremes that you leave to the last hoping someone else will eat them. Even the moments that often get criticised such as the clown suit, the gorilla suit (Bond does like dressing up in this film!) and the tiger are moments of sheer joy for me. Of course, it's thanks to Roger. No other Bond would get away with it, but I honestly think Roger's Bond could dress up in a ballet tutu and trip over whilst doing a rendition of Swan Lake and I'd still love it! (Was that a deleted scene anywhere??)

Anyway, I think all the highlights have been covered, only time for my top 5. As always I'm really struggling to pick just 5, and to try and accurately put them into some kind of order, but I'll have a go

1. 009 hunted and killed whilst dressed as a clown ... it's genuinely frightening, a scene worthy of any horror film. Pennywise can move over, because this clown sequence is the stuff of nightmares, the egg just adding an extra touch of the bizarre. What does it all mean? Who is that? Is that Bond? (I always thought it looked like him!) What's that egg? That's what I call a teaser, even if it is after the titles!

2. Orlov goes all Trump in the council room - I mean, that set for a start! I've always wanted a sofa that will revolve around my living room, and if I ever had one I would so dress up in a military outfit and recreate Orlov's outbursts! He also does petulance and pouting just as well as Trump can.

3. The bomb defusing - see what I mean? Roger's dressed up as a ridiculous clown in the middle of a circus performance and yet we still get a really tense, edge of the seat Bond moment ... just look at how serious Roger's face is when he's persuading Octopussy of the danger - with a big red nose and huge shoes on! Now that's acting!!

4. The tuk-tuk chase - hey, it's me! Of course I love the tuk-tuk chase! Of course it's in my top 5! Did you ever think otherwise!!!

5. The backgammon scene - again, it's pure Roger isn't it? This is why we love Roger so much. Need I say more, everyone clearly loves this scene!

And an honourable mention for all those Octopussy girls ... 'In! Out! In! Out!'

Thanks @goldenswissroyale for the chance to share yet more Moore love! We've not run out of Rog films yet have we??? Hope not! :)
    Great as always to read (and feel) your enthusiasm for Bond, especially for your favourite Bond actor @Max_The_Parrot. Did you realise that Roger is absent from your number one and two?? That's unexpected!
    There are still three more Roger movies to celebrate later. LALD, FYEO and a movie where Bond goes to space. I'm not sure if you have seen it already ;)
    Great read @Max_The_Parrot!

For me it's:

1. 009 gets the knife
    2. Orlov's speech
    3. Sotheby's
    4. Backgammon
    5. Alfa chase
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1. Pretitle scene
    2. 009
    3. Fight at villlian lair with Q Balloon escape
    4. Tuck Tuck
    5. Backgammon
    1. Bond races to the US base by train and car
    2. Gogol catches Orlov but not the train/Orlov death scene
    3. Mercedes on the rails
    4. Train fight
    5. PTS plane chase (and the PTS in general)
    @marc I see, you like the train sequence and everything around it...a lot ;)
    There is defintely some great stuntwork and I'm also a fan of Bond driving on the rails and his jump on the train with the car landing in the water.
    1. Backgammon
    2. Sotheby's
    3. Clown in the forest
    4. Bond on top of the plane (final showdown)
    5. Yoyo saw vs. Octopussy bed

It's crazy that the train scenes aren't part of my top 5. They would also deserve it
    @marc I see, you like the train sequence and everything around it...a lot ;)
    There is defintely some great stuntwork and I'm also a fan of Bond driving on the rails and his jump on the train with the car landing in the water.

Sure :)
    Of course, this also involves the nuclear bomb plot, the council room speech, setting the bomb etc. as honourable mentions. So many great scenes...
    Next round will start tomorrow. I didn't count the votes yet but the winner will be the PTS or 009's last minutes alive.

There is much appreciation for almost every PTS.
  • 1. Bond confronts Orlov (one of Moore's best performed scenes, inspired no doubt by Berkoff's superb turn as the mad general, and the shootout with the soldiers is a surprisingly tense bit of realistic action)

2. Orlov's first speech (Berkoff again, the shining jewel in Octopussy's plentifully filled repository; the war room with its revolving crescent of seats is beautifully designed and I love how Gogol slumps in his seat and rolls his eyes)

3. Defusing the bomb (the closest a countdown has ever been cut for Bond; any scene that can make you forget all about Bond wearing clown makeup demands serious respect)

4. Train roof fight and knifing Grischka (thrilling train-top action, even despite the occasional obvious back projection, but the real clincher here is Bond cold-bloodedly avenging the slain 009)

5. The Alfa Romeo chase (not often regarded among the series' better executed car chases, perhaps on account of its brevity, but this is one finely staged, filmed, and edited bit of vehicular action)

#s 4 and 5 also contain what I find two of the film's funniest moments: Bond so engrossed in the reveal of Kamal's plan that he checks his watch, forgetting he's in a gorilla suit, and Kamal's car failing to start the first time after they've just planted the bomb

Other highlights: the PTS, 009 hunted, and the auction
    5. The Alfa Romeo chase (not often regarded among the series' better executed car chases, perhaps on account of its brevity, but this is one finely staged, filmed, and edited bit of vehicular action)

Agreed. An exceptional chase also because, for once, police officers are actually portrayed as very skilled drivers.

And it puts Bond in an Alfa, of course. I have that particular James Bond Car Collection issue on a shelf in my living room. I love that car so much.

Is the german police the most talented one of the franchise?
    Is the german police the most talented one of the franchise?

West German though in this case ;) (1983), but yeah I'd say so.
    The votes of 15 members were included...

...And we have a clear winner:

1. 009-clown hunted and killed
    2. Sotheby's auction
    3. PTS
    4. Defusing the bomb
    5. Backgammon

It's time for another Connery round. Let's celebrate the ultimate classic of the Bond films.

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 14: GF - Part 1: Suggestions and discussion

(I believe that all my favourite scenes are from the glorious first half of the movie...)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another one where you can just mention the whole film.
    I agree that most of the good stuff comes in the first half. Pts, the opening intro of GF cheating at cards, Shirley Eaton covered in gold (with a mentionof that sweet little scene where Bonds nabs the keys from the maid), Q giving Bond his Aston, the Golf match (which is bound to be in everyone's list!) the car chase at night, the laser table, GF reveals his plan over a mint julep, the attack on Fort Knox and the electryfying exit of Oddjob!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,002
    1. “No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die” - greatest ever villain retort. The whole laser scene is legendary.
    2. Showdown with Oddjob inside Fort Knox.
    3. Golden girl - iconic as can be.
    4. Golf scene and statue decapitation.
    5. Mint julep.
    6. Miami card game.
    7. PTS and opening titles.

Restricted myself to 7 moments, otherwise the whole movie would have been included.
    FRWL and OHMSS are the only entries that I consider to be better films but GF remains the perfect Bond movie.