'I'm Too Old For This ****' Lethal Weapon 5 aka Lethal Finale...

Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
edited November 2020 in General Movies & TV Posts: 23,102
I had missed this story prior to reading about it today, so it looks like there is a 5th film happening. I have mixed feeling as I am a big fan of the series (not so much part 4), my initial feeling is this is 10 years too late though I will remain open minded.

The first film personally I think is one of the very best in the cop/buddy cop genre, it strikes the perfect balance of humour and deadly seriousness and is quite harrowing at times.

This thread is to discuss the up coming Lethal Weapon 5 and all the films and actors in the series.

*Mods feel free to delete if a thread on this subject already exists though I could not find one.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mel Gibson confirms Lethal Weapon 5 is 'absolutely on the way'... 22 years after last instalment was released
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8962067/Mel-Gibson-reassures-fans-Lethal-Weapon-5-absolutely-way.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Richard Donner wants to make it? He’s 90!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Wow! Not bad, but I don't if it's necessary though. Well, but sequels and remakes are now the new normal, so I'm not surprised.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,102
    Yeah I know it surprised me too, whether Donner will maybe write and be less hands on with directional duty's.

Though look at Clint Eastwood he defies age behind the camera.

A part of me would like to see Riggs and Murtaugh again, the chemistry between the actors was brilliant.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Murtaugh: "I'm too old for this shit!"
    Riggs: "What are you talking about, you're nearly a teenager again!"

Looking forward to it, I enjoyed all the films. I wore a Lethal Weapon 4 shirt to the film of the same name. It looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f4/2d/6c/f42d6c7c95ccb3b9fbc30c5cd20af0ac.jpg
    QBranch wrote: »
    Murtaugh: "I'm too old for this shit!"
    Riggs: "What are you talking about, you're nearly a teenager again!"

Looking forward to it, I enjoyed all the films. I wore a Lethal Weapon 4 shirt to the film of the same name. It looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f4/2d/6c/f42d6c7c95ccb3b9fbc30c5cd20af0ac.jpg

I totally forgot I had a T shirt as well, I am pretty sure it was for the third film. I also had all the posters.

I remember the build up before I watched Lethal weapon 3 at the cinema as there were at the time rumors Riggs was going to die in the film.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,102
    I have all the Lethal Weapon films on DVD, though only the first one on Bluray the extended version. I am in the mood for a rewatch of the series going to have to buy the others in HD or 4K if possible.

My ranking is pretty straight forward...

1. Lethal Weapon
    2. Lethal Weapon 2
    3. Lethal Weapon 3
    4. Lethal Weapon 4

I watched random episodes of the TV series, I was not impressed.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The first two, particularly 1, are classics; the third was good but definitely a slip in quality. The fourth film was a disaster; it devolved into a yuck fest and wasted a great villain in Jet Li.
    As “Rocky Balboa” did for the Rocky saga, if there is going to be a LW 5, hopefully it returns to the tone of the first two.
    talos7 wrote: »
    The first two, particularly 1, are classics; the third was good but definitely a slip in quality. The fourth film was a disaster; it devolved into a yuck fest and wasted a great villain in Jet Li.
    As “Rocky Balboa” did for the Rocky saga, if there is going to be a LW 5, hopefully it returns to the tone of the first two.

I agree the later films especially the 4th became overly sentimental and the villain and so called main plot really did suffer. It was one of Jet Li's first western films if I remember correctly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I agree the later films especially the 4th became overly sentimental and the villain and so called main plot really did suffer.

Yeah I remember the poster for that having photos of all of the cast members it had picked up through the sequels (so as well as the main two, Pesci, Russo, Rock, Li) and a tag line something like "All the faces you love.." - it was really strange, as if it was just a sort of personality-based drama/sitcom than an action film.
    I enjoy all 4 of the LETHAL WEAPON films. At the time I thought the 4th was the weakest, but it's really grown on me.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,247
    One thing I've always liked about Lethal Weapon is, with all the comedy on display, the action scenes are big-looking and usually innovative.
    Unlike the possibility of an Indiana Jones 5 with an aged Harrison Ford, another Lethal Weapon seems a pretty desperate idea. Whereas the Indy following is still strong, Lethal Weapon probably didn't even have the same enthusiastic fan base as Die Hard did. Rocky has also been able to hang on as well with the Creed spinoff. I tried to watch a couple episodes of the recent Lethal Weapon TV series and Damon Wayans was fine but the other guy was a poor Gibson wannabe.

Last I saw, Gibson looked really rough and his reputation hasn't been real great over the last decade or so. Glover is pretty ageless. Would they have them running around with some next generation team or something?

Problem with this series is after 2, it went more for comedy than thrills and even diluted some of the action with comedy - I'm looking at you, teaser for 3. Can anybody even remember the plot for that one? Some rogue cop thing is all I remember. When I recall 4, it's the scene with the laughing gas, pregnancy comedy and Riggs getting owned by Jet Li.

The first two films were exciting in the '80s and maybe that's where this series should've stayed. I guess I'd watch 5 as a Netflix project, but I just don't see this attracting a wide audience.
    mtm wrote: »

I agree the later films especially the 4th became overly sentimental and the villain and so called main plot really did suffer.

Yeah I remember the poster for that having photos of all of the cast members it had picked up through the sequels (so as well as the main two, Pesci, Russo, Rock, Li) and a tag line something like "All the faces you love.." - it was really strange, as if it was just a sort of personality-based drama/sitcom than an action film.

Its been years since I watched the last two films, though I recall a very sentimental montage seeing out the 4th film that always stuck in my mind.

I know the first two movies extremely well I have watched them both hundreds of times, it will be interesting to see how I regard the last two films when I re-watch them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They met about L5 inside of the last year, but if it’s given a green light, they’re at least a year out from starting pre-production.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm still hopeful this really does happen. While the first two are undoubtedly in a league of their own, I enjoy all four more or less equally. Great characters, great action, and great direction.
    I actually quite enjoy 4 and am a huge fan of the series, but I don't think we need a 5, which will surely end in someone dying for the drama of it all. 4 brought everything full circle-Riggs, now joined by Murtaugh, fights the baddie in the rain, visits his wife's grave, and realizes he has a family. The arc is complete. I'd hate for this to be a Kingdom of The Crystal Skull.
  • They should go the Logan route and make it uncompromisingly brutal and dark. Just dispense with the silly levity. 1 and 2 are fantastic films; 3 and 4 are pretty bad. Have levity, but make it organic and truthful. I'd love to see them go out on a high. Don't aim to please all people, because in doing so, you please no one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not sure a dark, no-laughs Lethal Weapon would please anyone! :)
    1 and 2 were tough but heart; there were light, comedic moments but they were not intrusive. By the 4th, Murtaugh was acting like a chicken in the rain to distract a guy in a suit of armor brandishing a flamethrower. Good grief...
    They should go the Logan route and make it uncompromisingly brutal and dark. Just dispense with the silly levity. 1 and 2 are fantastic films; 3 and 4 are pretty bad. Have levity, but make it organic and truthful. I'd love to see them go out on a high. Don't aim to please all people, because in doing so, you please no one.

Great post.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I quite like all four films, though I agree with the general opinion that the first two are a couple of steps above the others. The second one is my favourite.
  • @talos7 Thank you.
    Richard Donner has confirmed he will direct ‘Lethal Weapon 5’
    "It's the last one, I'll promise you that"
    https://www.nme.com/news/film/richard-donner-has-confirmed-he-will-direct-lethal-weapon-5-2846786
    I think Gibson's mullet should make a comeback with this being the final film and all.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No doubt Riggs child who’ll be in their 20’s now will make an appearance and will likely be key to the story some how.
    I’m not against it, but the story was complete with #4
    I hope this doesn’t go KOTCS on us.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It feels like one I don't think I'm going to believe is happening until they actually start shooting.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's not possible for them to be serving police officers in this one, surely?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Betting they’ll be a “We’re too old for this shit.”
    Gag in there somewhere
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m working with Mic Rodgers on a project; he is LWs second unit director, stunt coordinator and Gibson’s personal stunt double.
    He said this is at least a year out from going into production.