The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Toyota’s next-generation Mirai sedan has been confirmed for Australia, with the hydrogen-powered sedan due here before March next year
    2021-Toyota-Mirai-Australia.jpg

Meanwhile.........
    Volkswagen has revealed it is expanding its focus on electric vehicles, investing billions to retool its factories.
    In a call with investors and analysts on Monday, Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess said the car company was spending €73 billion (AU$118B) to convert two German factories to support production of electric vehicles, reports news outlet

Which do you prefer, hydrogen (betamax) or electric (vhs) ? :)]

Good question. Personally, I'll compensate my driving a petrol car by having our roof covered in solar panels....

If I'd have to guess, in the end hydrogen cars should be more fun to drive. But that's based on how heavy batteries are. And I haven't got a clue on how the store the h2.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,352

Toyota’s next-generation Mirai sedan has been confirmed for Australia, with the hydrogen-powered sedan due here before March next year
    2021-Toyota-Mirai-Australia.jpg

Meanwhile.........
    Volkswagen has revealed it is expanding its focus on electric vehicles, investing billions to retool its factories.
    In a call with investors and analysts on Monday, Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess said the car company was spending €73 billion (AU$118B) to convert two German factories to support production of electric vehicles, reports news outlet

Which do you prefer, hydrogen (betamax) or electric (vhs) ? :)]

Good question. Personally, I'll compensate my driving a petrol car by having our roof covered in solar panels....

If I'd have to guess, in the end hydrogen cars should be more fun to drive. But that's based on how heavy batteries are. And I haven't got a clue on how the store the h2.

Hydrogen cars seem complicated, just the way toyota wants so they can charge owners more service fees.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,930
    Chris Harris demonstrating how much fun that ace little Toyota is, and how great at car control he is!

mtm wrote: »
    Chris Harris demonstrating how much fun that ace little Toyota is, and how great at car control he is!

Fun on the racetrack, could have a harsh ride on the road ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Probably a little, but it is a sporty car:

Probably a little, but it is a sporty car:

He says: it’s a bit too firmly sprung for me..........then he says: Buy one.
    I bet he doesn't buy one with that bumpy ride for road use? It's probably just good for the track ?

Would you buy one ?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You missed out the bit where he says it’s superb.
    I’d love one, but then I already have a car which is a bit too firm! :) Very few things are perfect, you just pick the closest to what you’re looking for.
    You missed out the bit where he says it’s superb.
    I’d love one, but then I already have a car which is a bit too firm! :) Very few things are perfect, you just pick the closest to what you’re looking for.

I'd rather buy a second hand 370Z........
    2018-Nissan-370Z-manual-coupe-silver-James-Cleary-1200x800p-%281%29.jpg

Looks amazing......... :)>-
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Looks like quite a bit of fun, but as I usually don't go around roundabouts like that... I'll give it a miss ;-)
    Volkswagen confirms production of all-electric station wagon with 700km range....Nice range
    xzlbb9ewmbklkqo8wr3e.jpg

2021 Subaru BRZ
    WIDE-BRZ.jpg
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I am tempted to buy Bond Cars: The Definitive History by Jason Barlow, but I'd be really disappointed if OP's Alfa GTV isn't mentioned. Is there anyone who knows more?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I could see Hydrogen-powered vehicles like that in a Bond film.

On fire.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I am tempted to buy Bond Cars: The Definitive History by Jason Barlow, but I'd be really disappointed if OP's Alfa GTV isn't mentioned. Is there anyone who knows more?

It is mentioned and gets a couple of paragraphs and a photo, but not a huge amount of detail I'm afraid.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    2021 Subaru BRZ
    WIDE-BRZ.jpg

Interesting, I still don't love its looks but it does seem a lot better. It always looked a bit ungainly before. This seems a more flattering photo:

brz_031.jpg

I spent a day sliding a lot in one of those, they are good fun.

On fire.

If they direct the fire in the right way......

On fire.

Toyota Hydrogen-powered cars is a strange decision ?

On fire.

Oh personally I think H2 is definately the way foreward, the battery powered cars are an intermediate stage. Unless i.e. iron-combustion engines will come along.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a34597615/burning-iron-powder-fuel-renewable/

With all the piping we already have in this country for LNG, H2 would be a very good alternative.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

On fire.

Oh personally I think H2 is definately the way foreward, the battery powered cars are an intermediate stage.

Absolutely, I don't see why it would seem strange to pursue it. I believe at the moment it's still the process of packaging it up which uses too much energy, but hopefully they'll get there.

Interesting: I've not heard of that one before. Seems slightly magical in a way: a re-burnable fuel? Cool if they can get it to work though.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Interesting: I've not heard of that one before. Seems slightly magical in a way: a re-burnable fuel? Cool if they can get it to work though.
    Rust never sleeps.

Using electricity to make H2. then using H2 to generate electricity. It doesn't make any sense.
    It seems to me toyota is more interested in providing complex FIREBALLS so they can make money out of servicing,replacement parts etc

Having an accident in one of these cars is dangerous.
    Today, while doing my daily walk, I saw a Bentley Continentl GT W12 parked near the local school. Not the kind of car we see in this part of France. Still, very nice-looking car.

bentley-continental-gt-w12-560ch.jpg
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2020 Posts: 6,778

It is mentioned and gets a couple of paragraphs and a photo, but not a huge amount of detail I'm afraid.

Glad they didn't just forget about it. Thanks!
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,965

Using electricity to make H2. then using H2 to generate electricity. It doesn't make any sense.
    It seems to me toyota is more interested in providing complex FIREBALLS so they can make money out of servicing,replacement parts etc

Having an accident in one of these cars is dangerous.

It helps overcome one of the major issues with electricity: getting the energy to the right place at the right time. Solar energy, i.e. needs to be stored when overproducing during the day, whilst not-producing during the night. Now battaries are one option, but they need (for now) very rare metals. H2 could help fill that gap. As, apparently, iron. You no doubt know that most of the electricity produced today still comes from burning coal or LNG. Both are not very good for our climate. Burning H2 however doesn't produce CO2.

Having an accident in one of these cars isn't much more dangerous than one in a petrol car, as you could see in the video above. It burns very fast and hot, yes, but doesn't engulf it's surroundings like gasoline does.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Glad they didn't just forget about it. Thanks!

It seems like everything is decently covered in it although it doesn't really go in-depth hugely: I enjoyed the bit I read today about some of the vehicles planned for Moonraker- including a Winnebago-style thing with a mid-engined sportscar which would emerge from the front!
    Inside Aston Martin's Warwickshire factory, there is a glue-applying robot called James Bonder that is used to glue aluminium chassis and windscreen, and the company's bespoke vehicles operation, based at the old Newport Pagnell site, is called 'Q by Aston Martin'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspirations_for_James_Bond#:~:text=In the films and novels,of the German diplomatic code.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @007InAction , found the same wiki just an hour ago after watching the Brosnan/Leno interview and then googling "ian fleming 007 bus". Did you go the same route?
    zebrafish wrote: »
    @007InAction , found the same wiki just an hour ago after watching the Brosnan/Leno interview and then googling "ian fleming 007 bus". Did you go the same route?

Precisely. Great minds think alike :)>-
    Two ex-Aston Martin CEOs involved with comeback of a Bizzarrini car!
    Will it be a SUV, a GT or a supercar?

mg_8609_copy_preview-1-e1533372141869.jpeg?fit=1800%2C976

https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-cars/a34630669/bizzarrini-plans-comeback-with-ex-aston-ceo-dr-ulrich-bez-report-says/
    KFC is delivering socially-distanced chicken via 5G driverless trucks
    You've got to be joking man.......... :-O
    Em_J5kTUYAAi_GI-2.jpg
    https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/kfc-delivery-driverless-trucks
    Diana Rigg fans take note!
    The original Mercury Cougar, driven by Tracy Draco, in OHMSS, is for sale at Bonhams:

It has been carefully restored to how it looked like in the movie. They even found the matching pairs of skis. Let's see how much I am going to bid, and then I'm off with it to the Schilthorn.