The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't know. This car was undamaged and yet has been completely refitted. They might as well have just built a new example if i read it correctly.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Diana Rigg fans take note!
    The original Mercury Cougar, driven by Tracy Draco, in OHMSS, is for sale at Bonhams:

It has been carefully restored to how it looked like in the movie. They even found the matching pairs of skis. Let's see how much I am going to bid, and then I'm off with it to the Schilthorn.

3 cars used for the film is a lot...
    Eon should buy it if they don't already have one.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    More Bond-related stuff to buy at Bonhams Automobilia auction:
    60126166-2-1.jpg&width=960

60126211-4-1.jpg&width=960
    60126211-10-1.jpg&width=640&height=480&autosizefit=1

60126218-5-1.jpg&width=640&height=480&autosizefit=1

60126211-2-1.jpg&width=640&height=480&autosizefit=1

The current bids are still kind of "cheap", except for the TB picture with Sean's autograph, which will fetch at least GBP 120.

The current bids are still kind of "cheap", except for the TB picture with Sean's autograph, which will fetch at least GBP 120.

There are a lot of fake autographs being sold.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,957
    Bonhams isn’t exactly ebay! :)
    I’m in love with that Roger one, but it looks like they sold a very similar one two years ago and it went for £812(!).
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Aston Martin in row over 'sock puppet PR firm' pushing anti-electric vehicle study

Report disputing green benefits of EVs attributed to company registered to wife of carmaker’s director

Oops.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,353
    James Bond's 2016 Aston Martin DB10 - Jay Leno's Garage

So I was just watching GoldenEye and not being super knowledgeable about cars I wondered whether it was at all realistic that an Aston Martin DB5 from 1964 could keep up with a Ferrari F355 GTS from 1994. From what a short search turned up they used real DB5s in those scenes, no replica chasis over BMW engines or the like.

So assuming Xenia and Bond were actually racing, is that in any way realistic or would the 30 years younger car just drive away in reality?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So I was just watching GoldenEye and not being super knowledgeable about cars I wondered whether it was at all realistic that an Aston Martin DB5 from 1964 could keep up with a Ferrari F355 GTS from 1994. From what a short search turned up they used real DB5s in those scenes, no replica chasis over BMW engines or the like.

So assuming Xenia and Bond were actually racing, is that in any way realistic or would the 30 years younger car just drive away in reality?

Not at all realistic, no! :) The Ferrari has about 100bhp more power, is much lighter, and can get to 60 about four seconds quicker. Plus it handles like an actual sportscar.

But hey, maybe the car has been supertuned by Q branch, maybe Xenia is a terrible driver (she does spin out after all!), and the other car does have James Bond 007 driving it! :)
    And they are supposed to be playing rather than racing for their lives I guess.

I actually think a slightly worse one is the opening of Quantum of Solace where Bond's V12 supercar can't pull away from some saloon family Alfa Romeos when it gets a clear bit of highway. It had twice the power of those cars.
    Both Rémy Julienne (who did the stuntwork on that) and James May said that no, a DB5 couldn't go wheel to wheel with a modern Ferrary (in fact, Rémy Julienne said that the DB 5 handled like a truck). So, I'll have to go with the experts on that.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 1,351
    Gerard wrote: »
    Both Rémy Julienne (who did the stuntwork on that) and James May said that no, a DB5 couldn't go wheel to wheel with a modern Ferrary (in fact, Rémy Julienne said that the DB 5 handled like a truck). So, I'll have to go with the experts on that.

Thank you. I assumed as much.
    mtm wrote: »

Not at all realistic, no! :) The Ferrari has about 100bhp more power, is much lighter, and can get to 60 about four seconds quicker. Plus it handles like an actual sportscar.

But hey, maybe the car has been supertuned by Q branch, maybe Xenia is a terrible driver (she does spin out after all!), and the other car does have James Bond 007 driving it! :)
    And they are supposed to be playing rather than racing for their lives I guess.

I actually think a slightly worse one is the opening of Quantum of Solace where Bond's V12 supercar can't pull away from some saloon family Alfa Romeos when it gets a clear bit of highway. It had twice the power of those cars.

Well, that chase takes them across at least 500 km. So the power imbalance isn't our only problem here 😅

And my headcanon for that GoldenEye chase is now that Xenia didn't want to outrace him, but rather have a bit of fun...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, for the DB5 and the Ferrari I'd definately say it would be very hard to keep up in the way they do. Perhaps possible, but indeed the acceleration and balance of the ferrari should be such that he wouldn't be able to keep up.

The QoS chase, I don't know. first, it isn't a given they were chasing him for the full 500 km, more likely they were called in and found him close to where we see them chase Bond. second, alfa's are very sporty cars, far more than other family cars. Another factor is traffic, which we can see clearly in the chase, limiting Bond's possible escape. I once gave chase to an audi A3 on a highway in a 20y/o Opel Corsa 1.4 and managed toe keep in sight, mainly because the audi wasn't able to go above 140km/h due to traffic, a speed I managed to match.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The QoS chase, I don't know. first, it isn't a given they were chasing him for the full 500 km, more likely they were called in and found him close to where we see them chase Bond. second, alfa's are very sporty cars, far more than other family cars. Another factor is traffic, which we can see clearly in the chase, limiting Bond's possible escape. I once gave chase to an audi A3 on a highway in a 20y/o Opel Corsa 1.4 and managed toe keep in sight, mainly because the audi wasn't able to go above 140km/h due to traffic, a speed I managed to match.

In the traffic yeah, Bond doesn't get a chance to pull away; but once he turns the hairpin and goes up the hill on the clear road away from the jam he should be able to disappear into the distance easily, the Alfas would be nowhere near him. They're really not that sporty! :)
    They weren't very quick either: a top of the range BMW M5 of the same vintage would get to 60 two seconds quicker and stand more chance of getting near Bond.
    I think the idea of going into the quarry was to try and even them up a bit.

It's like that bit where Bond's Lotus is troubled by a Cortina, only more so!

I'd actually quite like to see a Bond car chase where Bond goes for a gadget to dispose of a baddie behind him, but then thinks again and just puts his foot down!
    edited December 2020 Posts: 1,351
    Well, for the DB5 and the Ferrari I'd definately say it would be very hard to keep up in the way they do. Perhaps possible, but indeed the acceleration and balance of the ferrari should be such that he wouldn't be able to keep up.

To be clear, I am being facetious. There is no way that in the internal logic of the movie, the chase is supposed to be 500 km. The areas where they are shot (which are very famous and recognizable landmark-like areas. Lake Garda and the Carrara marble quarries) are just that far apart.
    If you wanted to do the entire QoS drive starting at the Villa at the end of CR and ending in Siena while hitting the spots we see in the sequence, you'd be on the road for a good 800 km.
    But I guess for Bond they are basically right next to each other.

In the traffic yeah, Bond doesn't get a chance to pull away; but once he turns the hairpin and goes up the hill on the clear road away from the jam he should be able to disappear into the distance easily, the Alfas would be nowhere near him. They're really not that sporty! :)
    They weren't very quick either: a top of the range BMW M5 of the same vintage would get to 60 two seconds quicker and stand more chance of getting near Bond.
    I think the idea of going into the quarry was to try and even them up a bit.

It's like that bit where Bond's Lotus is troubled by a Cortina, only more so!

I'd actually quite like to see a Bond car chase where Bond goes for a gadget to dispose of a baddie behind him, but then thinks again and just puts his foot down!

Found this site with all the performances.
    https://zeperfs.com/en/fiche1683-aston-martin-dbs.htm

best 159 would be the 3.2 litre petrol one, with a 0-100kph of 7.0 seconds. The dbs does it in 4.4.

So yes, up the pass Bond would easily run away, but irrc he tries to and then is blocked, forcing him into the quarry, where the floor clearing of the 159 would give it the advantage.
    The lotus and cortina is just... well....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, and they did use the V6 version of the Alfa for that, it just isn't a very quick car, like most Alfas of around that time- they only started getting as fast as their rivals with the Giulia. There is a shot where the two cars get onto clear road and I was always a bit annoyed that it didn't show the Aston streaking ahead as it clearly would do.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This is fun, I just came across this photo of one of(!) Elton John's old Astons:

2001_CKS_06438_0015_000(030239).jpg?mode=max

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-1984-aston-martin-v8-volante-2068201/

Check out the numberplate; only a few away from Bond's! :)

EpIf5DxXIAIVX0h?format=jpg&name=900x900
    I didn't know Elton had such good taste in cars!
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,312
    Mostly British cars, but he HAD to have 1 Ferrari.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

£1,275 for the Roger photo; I'd hate to think what the others went for! :)
    Holy sh...

10.500 Euro for the signed Thunderball picture, and it is not a charity auction. This was a serious Bond fan.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which is £ 9,562 - wow! You can't even see him in the photo! :D It's a very cool shot though.
    Which is £ 9,562 - wow! You can't even see him in the photo! :D It's a very cool shot though.

Almost certainly a fake too.
    I've heard a lot about james bond fake autographs being sold around the world.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No.

No.

There is a lot of forged signed stuff in the world.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34531/autograph-reference-section/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No.

Yes there is, but that does not mean that all autographs are forged. This is not an eBay action from Derek in Doncaster, it's a Bonhams auction. They are professional auctioneers who sell high end cars and associated ephemera all the time and will have made the utmost efforts to verify the veracity of everything they sell.
    Unless you have a specific reason to doubt this is a genuine autograph there's no point in suggesting it isn't.

No.

Yes there is, but that does not mean that all autographs are forged. This is not an eBay action from Derek in Doncaster, it's a Bonhams auction. They are professional auctioneers who sell high end cars and associated ephemera all the time and will have made the utmost efforts to verify the veracity of everything they sell.
    Unless you have a specific reason to doubt this is a genuine autograph there's no point in suggesting it isn't.

Just my opinion on the research i've done on autographs.

It's typical white collar crime.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No.

But surely you understand that because, say, fake Burberry coats exist, it doesn't mean that all Burberry coats are fake? And if you buy a coat from Burberry, or an authorised Burberry reseller, it's more likely to be genuine than fake?
    In your well-researched opinion, where would you buy a genuine autograph from?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,353

No.

But surely you understand that because, say, fake Burberry coats exist, it doesn't mean that all Burberry coats are fake? And if you buy a coat from Burberry, or an authorised Burberry reseller, it's more likely to be genuine than fake?
    In your well-researched opinion, where would you buy a genuine autograph from?

Rittenhouse, upper deck cards are more likely to be real like this.
    They do a lot of autos from sports to movies.
    s-l1600.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And of course nowhere else sells authentic ones. 8-|