Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I just remember hearing that line when I saw the film again and thought...urgh!

I think Moore had some of the worst girls in the franchise..... so many irritating voices !! poor Rog no wonder he rogerized them to have some peace....

I'd roger Britt Eklund that's for sure, I don't care how annoying she is.

I have a memory of Rog referring to her as a "silly cow" at a talk I was at with him in 2008.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,686
    JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I think Moore had some of the worst girls in the franchise..... so many irritating voices !! poor Rog no wonder he rogerized them to have some peace....

my point was that Rog rogerized them so they'd stop talking ;)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Tough one, I love both, but looking at my ranking.

1. LTK
    2. TLD
    3. GE
    4. GF
    5. TSWLM

So GE wins this time round.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I've got mixed feelings about Dalts. I admire him more than I like him. Upon my last viewing of his films he came off as a bit...stuffy tbh. In LTK he was totally upstaged by Davi too.

Funnily enough, having been a long-term fan since TLD, these forums have put me off him a bit. His supporters seem to be a bit too serious and (dare I say it) humourless, which has coloured my view of Dalts himself. By contrast, you crazy Brozza fans seem genuinely cheery and just have a straight-forward love for your Irish rascal, which is actually much nicer than the cerebral justifications given for why Dalts is the 'best'. You can't really explain it (understandably, as it's totally irrational), but you just love your guy. I've actually come to respect that.

Dalton and Brozza are the best. Nobody can beat them!
    JBFan626 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

my point was that Rog rogerized them so they'd stop talking ;)

And that's why Rog is Rog. Nobody does it better.
  • The best Roger Moore film up against the 2nd best Brosnan film. (in my opinion)...the winner for me is TSWLM. No competition really. Moore's film is bigger,better...I prefer the overall feel and tone of TSWLM. The villain and the henchmen are great....Barbara Bach is hot...the scenery is more exotic...the action is more entertaining...the effects work is better....the oscar nominated music is better than the disaster of a score by Eric Serra (even if some of it sounds a bit dated today)...the oscar nominated art direction by Ken Adam is stunning and lets not forget the oscar nominated song...GE is a very good Bond film but for me TSWLM is a big, fun and far more exciting Bond adventure.
    TSWLM. I just like it more.
    Easily GE for me.

Spy is one of my least favourites in the whole series. Highly overrated.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Have I voted for GoldenEye? No? Well, I have now.

I agree with @slyfox too.
    I find it very difficult to understand how one can both profess to be a Bond fan and a critic of TSWLM at the same time. I had always assumed that these two positions were mutually exclusive.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    I find it very difficult to understand how one can both profess to be a Bond fan and a critic of TSWLM at the same time. I had always assumed that these two positions were mutually exclusive.

I say that's utter nonsense. just because someone dislikes one Bond film doesn't make him/her a lesser Bond fan.... Germanlady dislikes Dalton. so she's not a Bond fan ? MajorDSmythe dislikes OHMSS, so he's not a Bond fan ? Getatix, you dislike GE, so you're not a Bond fan ? I dislike CR, so I'm not a Bond fan ?
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Just out of curiosity @DaltonCraig007, where does Spy stand in your rankings? I figured it would still be pretty high for you on the merits of it having Rog in the lead role.

*1000th post! Woohoo!*
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity @DaltonCraig007, where does Spy stand in your rankings? I figured it would still be pretty high for you on the merits of it having Rog in the lead role.

*1000th post! Woohoo!*

well done !! <:-P

as for TSWLM, I'd say it's about 7th in my rankings.
    JBFan626 wrote:

*1000th post! Woohoo!*

well done !! <:-P

as for TSWLM, I'd say it's about 7th in my rankings.

Thank you sir.

I was under the impression that maybe Spy wasn't ranked as highly for you and I gathered it probably had something to do with Ms. Bach. But glad to hear you still give it top marks! If not as high as GE. I mean afterall Spy paved the way for MR!
    TSWLM & GE are both responsible for rejuvenating the franchise. In the case of Roger Moore it was not his best while in the case of Brosnan it turns out to be his best overal.
    Hence my choice for GE.
    GoldenEye. Easy choice for me.
    TSWLM definitley, I'll take the real Roger Moore over the impersonator in GE.
    SaintMark wrote:
    TSWLM & GE are both responsible for rejuvenating the franchise. In the case of Roger Moore it was not his best while in the case of Brosnan it turns out to be his best overal.
    Hence my choice for GE.

But Brosnan's best is still not as good as Moore's weakest movie...
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Hence my choice for GE.

If it had been MR vs GE I would make a different choice.

SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Hence my choice for GE.

So you rate MR over TSWLM? Spy is Roger's finest hour IMO - a brilliant example of OTT Bond that manages to work really well. I like most of his movies but I think overall, all things considered (Ken Adam production design being an important factor), Spy is his best film.
    MR gets a lot of love on this site @Getafix. You'd be surprised at how many ppl here would rate it above TSWLM.
    Getafix wrote:
    Spy is his best film.

Barry's MR soundtrack alone puts that film ahead of TSWLM.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    MR gets a lot of love on this site @Getafix. You'd be surprised at how many ppl here would rate it above TSWLM.

Very odd that. I'm not gonna beat up on MR because elements of it are very good, but to my mind there is no question that Spy is the far superior film. A masterpiece of 70s Bond. The blancmange that didn't collapse in the oven.
    Getafix wrote:
    Spy is his best film.

Great soundtrack without a doubt, just an inferior film.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Spy is his best film.

Great soundtrack without a doubt, just an inferior film.

c'mon, how can you not like watching Sir Rog totally enjoying himself for 2 hours, almost winking at the camera, having the fun of his life ? Sir Rog is so awesome in MR, a genuinly mood-lifting guy !!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I actually agree with @Getafix on this. MR has a great soundtrack (I actually listened to it the other week on my iPod while I was having my teeth drilled by the dentist - that's how soothing it is) but as an overall film the silliness let's it down.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I actually agree with @Getafix on this. MR has a great soundtrack (I actually listened to it the other week on my iPod while I was having my teeth drilled by the dentist - that's how soothing it is) but as an overall film the silliness let's it down.

now that I think about it.... maybe you are right. while I like the more humorous outings, MR did go a bit too far. Rog's acting, the soundtrack, the sets, the locations and the cinematography are all outstanding.... but I think you are right, it was a bit too 'out there' at places. I'll have to watch TSWLM and MR again, maybe TSWLM will rise and MR will drop from 2nd to maybe at the limit of my top 5..... I have rewatched GE the other day, and it really went up in my rankings..... next up FRWL, OHMSS and FYEO, which could also go up, since I don't remember everything from them, only that they felt like really great films.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Moonraker did have superb acting (especially by Michael Lonsdale as Hugo Drax), pretty good sets (I had minor problems with the space station), and decent locations (I often forget what South American country he travels to just before the space station, and that's even while watching the film). I hated the song "Moonraker", but other than that cannot remember the soundtrack in anyway.

MR's biggest problems: Drax's motivation (yippie, Space Nazi!), the overall "Drax is obviously the villain" vibe. Most Bond villains are obvious, but Bond villains in Lewis Gilbert films (especially Drax and Stromburg) are painfully obvious, and make little effort to hide their evildoing. The other problem is the stupid gondola-car thing.
    Speaking of MR and TSWLM, have we done a match-up with these two? The two great epci Lewis Gilbert-Roger Moore adventures of the 70's. Arguably the two first real summer blockbusters of the Bond franchise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GE, absolutely.

Would have been upset if I missed this thread; Internet has been out for a while.

But yes, GE is my favorite Bond film, and nothing can beat it.
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Hence my choice for GE.

So you rate MR over TSWLM? Spy is Roger's finest hour IMO - a brilliant example of OTT Bond that manages to work really well. I like most of his movies but I think overall, all things considered (Ken Adam production design being an important factor), Spy is his best film.

MR is in many parts far better than TSWLM, and they have a lot of dimilarities as well.

MR has with Drax a far better written villain (Curd Jurgens is really bland), the special effects on MR are bloody brilliant and still stand up (with the exception of the cablecars). The Bondgirls are better looking, and Corinne Dufours' demise has a coldness about it never surpassed in any 007 movie yet. The soundtrack is brilliant. The locations are great and the movie is actually quite a lot of fun.