NTTD & Corona

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Here I see that restaurants and bars are crowded, but the cinema is almost empty. Weird.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Here I see that restaurants and bars are crowded, but the cinema is almost empty. Weird.

It really makes me wonder if society will begin to see theaters as being less than essential than previous generations did. People do need to eat. People do not need to pay $13 to see a movie they can rent online for $4 three months later.

Death of cinema.

It really makes me wonder if society will begin to see theaters as being less than essential than previous generations did. People do need to eat. People do not need to pay $13 to see a movie they can rent online for $4 three months later.

Death of cinema.

Well, people can also eat at home.

Death of cinema.

Restaurants also offer something theaters don't: The ability to converse without being shunned.

Death of cinema.

Restaurants also offer something theaters don't: The ability to converse without being shunned.

Also very true, but on the other hand a cinema trip is much safer than a bar/restaurant trip if one fears getting the virus. Then again, people aren t going about this in a logic way regardless.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,025
    Another problem: People don't want to spend money at a theater. It's expensive, especially with unemployment up and people being more selective of what to spend on. As less safe as restaurants are, they're cheaper than theaters.

And again, watching at home is even more cheap.
    Another problem: People don't want to spend money at a theater. It's expensive, especially with unemployment up and people being more selective of what to spend on. As less safe as restaurants are, they're cheaper than theaters.

I can assure you that going to a bar or restaurant here in Norway isn t cheap.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Is there that much of a price difference? Here, where I am at least, there's little difference in price between a decent meal and a cinema ticket with the extra indulgences on the side. However, I guess you could argue you get more for your money in a restaurant if you're just looking to get out.
    Only a proven vaccine will resolve this crisis. Cineworld and now Odeon are looking likely to close for a undisclosed amount of time.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Only a proven vaccine will resolve this crisis. Cineworld and now Odeon are looking likely to close for a undisclosed amount of time.

There's a blast from the past. Hope you are well @RogueAgent :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote: »

There's a blast from the past. Hope you are well @RogueAgent :-bd

I have literally resurfaced this morning. Been mad at work with the pandemic. Family been up and down but thankfully we are all ok. Been long overdue for me to come back. Have missed you all and glad to be back. Looks like i got alot of catching up to do! @-) :-bd

Hope all is good with you WillyGalore? :D
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    There’s also a chance cinema chains will be bought by Disney, Amazon etc etc at a ridiculous price once they bankrupt next year.
    matt_u wrote: »
    There’s also a chance cinema chains will be bought by Disney, Amazon etc etc at a ridiculous price once they bankrupt next year.

True, unless they find a more profitable way to stream movies?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    We’ll see. I’m certain people will start again to go see films in theaters once going to the movies will be fun again. Because to see a film now with masks, distancing, restrictions, people coughing and sneezing with a pandemic goin on it is not fun, not anymore. That’s not something people look forward to do.
    Personally I think cinema may be finished as we knew it. For good. In the same way Music Hall and variety theatre was huge in the 1920s-50s. Or physical video rental was in the 90s.

Hollywood has known this for a while hence the fads for 3D/imax/sequels. Ticket prices and concessions are unbelievably expensive.

The truth is not all industries are going to be able to survive the next few years. Bearing in mind their business model is based on lots of strangers sitting next to each other, I think cinema is one of them. I think the studios that are going benefit, as with all businesses, are the nimble ones that bend and adapt.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,279

Death of cinema.

Here in Norway, cinema numbers in general (pre-Covid) were in decline amongst younger audiences. In a survey done for NRK (the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) in 2019, there were some interesting numbers:
    - It turns out that only 5 percent of young people between the ages of 15 and 25 most often watch movies in cinemas. 65 percent say they most often watch movies on streaming services.

- In 2017, the Norwegian Film Institute conducted a survey that also showed that cinema visits among young people are declining. At the beginning of the 2000s, young people between the ages of 16 and 24 went to the cinema on average ten times a year.

In 2017, this number was five times a year.

- According to Statistics Norway's Norwegian Cultural Barometer, the proportion of Norwegians who go to the cinema has increased steadily from the 1990s until today. In 1991, 58 percent of the population had been to the cinema during the year. In 2016, the figure was 72 percent.

Film og Kino's figures for 2018 show that the number continued to rise after the last cultural barometer was made. Last year (this was 2018), 76 per cent of the population visited the cinema at least once during the year.

But if we look at how often each of us goes to the cinema, the trend is different. In 1991, each cinema-goer saw an average of 4.3 films, while this had dropped to 2.8 visits in 2016. Last year (2018), Film og Kino's figures show that this has continued to fall to 2.3 visits a year.
    for what it's worth - a 'put Bond back to November' narrative is forming amongst parts of the UK critic community
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Here in the US, only about 9% of people have coronavirus antibodies. (It's more like 33% in NY.)

How many people in the 91% (wrongly) feel safe enough to go about their normal lives?

We have a long way to go with masks, social distancing, and lockdowns...and hopefully scientists will find a vaccine that works someday.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/09/few-americans-have-coronavirus-antibodies-study-finds.html

This is why NTTD was postponed, and probably will be again.
    antovolk wrote: »
    for what it's worth - a 'put Bond back to November' narrative is forming amongst parts of the UK critic community

Exactly, and seeing before the latest push back happened? I thought it was quite telling that the latest poster said coming November without a year attached!
  • Death of cinema.
    You're a cheerful person, aren't you.
    Another harsh truth is that cinemas need audiences, and they did not turn up enough for TENET, NEW MUTANTS, UNHINGED, or whatever. This was why studios have recently pushed back all their big films just a few days after TENET opened abysmally.

Until people feel safe going to the movies, theater chains are not going to be the place they want to go to no matter what films are out.

@DaltonCraig007 was spot on about this.
    The thing is, this virus could be with be with us for potentially years, so people have got to some degree to learn to live with it (whilst also being cautious). If the cinemas suffer or go under, it's partially down to the public's fear or apprehension about going to the cinema. It's a chicken and egg situation.
    Don't feed DaltonCraig007's ego even more, please. He was a very unpleasant person to me - I'm glad to not be reading his superior, self-righteous, bullying posts on this situation.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Movie is in the can, only that matter's.
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Movie is in the can, only that matter's.

Thank goodness for that! \:D/
    I dont buy that people are not going to the theaters.That chinese film The Eight Hundred has made a killing worldwide with over 400 million in the bank and Tenet has made as of today over 300 million.Is that what WB wants? No,but thats damned good for an original film not based on an existing IP.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I dont buy that people are not going to the theaters.That chinese film The Eight Hundred has made a killing worldwide with over 400 million in the bank and Tenet has made as of today over 300 million.Is that what WB wants? No,but thats damned good for an original film not based on an existing IP.

Well, what I feel got lost in all of that is the fact that Cineams were slowly dying before Covid even started, with only biggest blockbusters making money. There is a reason why Martin Scorsese had to go to Netflix- film studios know that expensive projects that are not blockbusters will simply not make them money. And now we are in the pandemic where not all theatres open, movies that are being released wouldnt be breaking bank even before covid. The problem is not the pandemic itself, it's the studios that are not willing to take the risk and hoping that if they delay long enough they will be making the same money they would before the pandemic
    The movie releasing 6 months from now is wildly unrealistic. At the very least it will be a year. It that means there’s no more theaters then that’s the universe eon should be planning for, not releasing in April, which is laughable.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    RedNine wrote: »
    Well, what I feel got lost in all of that is the fact that Cineams were slowly dying before Covid even started, with only biggest blockbusters making money. There is a reason why Martin Scorsese had to go to Netflix- film studios know that expensive projects that are not blockbusters will simply not make them money. And now we are in the pandemic where not all theatres open, movies that are being released wouldnt be breaking bank even before covid. The problem is not the pandemic itself, it's the studios that are not willing to take the risk and hoping that if they delay long enough they will be making the same money they would before the pandemic

The studios are showing their true colors. It's clear that they don't know what the f**ck they're doing. Neither EON, MGM nor Universal have any earthly idea when the general public will be safe to enter a movie theater. I'm just trying to wrap my head around their way of thinking. Nearly every Bond fan and movie goer on the planet came to peace with the film coming out when it is "safer." Any executive decision needs to have a basis and I don't think anyone believes that anything supports the new release date.

If they can pull the plug whenever they please, after re-vamping promotion, they should be able to call a slot whenever they please as well. So, what they should have done, at the first sight of uncertainty, is delay the film's release indefinitely. That way, when there's an actual sign of promise, they can spend money when it's worth spending and no one would be pissed off and out of a job. Right?
    OOWolf wrote: »
    RedNine wrote: »

The studios are showing their true colors. It's clear that they don't know what the f**ck they're doing. Neither EON, MGM nor Universal have any earthly idea when the general public will be safe to enter a movie theater. I'm just trying to wrap my head around their way of thinking. Nearly every Bond fan and movie goer on the planet came to peace with the film coming out when it is "safer." Any executive decision needs to have a basis and I don't think anyone believes that anything supports the new release date.

If they can pull the plug whenever they please, after re-vamping promotion, they should be able to call a slot whenever they please as well. So, what they should have done, at the first sight of uncertainty, is delay the film's release indefinitely. That way, when there's an actual sign of promise, they can spend money when it's worth spending and no one would be pissed off and out of a job. Right?

Exactly
    OOWolf wrote: »
    Nearly every Bond fan and movie goer on the planet came to peace with the film coming out when it is "safer."

It will not be "safer" than now for about 1,5 years, I believe.
    But it is safe enough now to go to the movies now.
    Distributors and people just don't seem to realise this.
  • 2021 Film Calendar (as of 4/10/20):
    JANUARY 15 (USA): Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway
    FEBRUARY 12: The King's Man
    FEBRUARY 29: Antlers
    MARCH 5: Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    MARCH 12: Raya and the Last Dragon
    MARCH 19: Morbius
    APRIL 2: No Time to Die
    APRIL 23: A Quiet Place Part II
    MAY 7: Black Widow
    MAY 21: Godzilla vs. Kong
    MAY 28: Cruella
    MAY 28: Fast & Furious 9
    JUNE 4: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
    JUNE 18: Luca
    JUNE 25: Venom: Let There Be Carnage
    JULY 2: Top Gun: Maverick
    JULY 2: Minions: The Rise of Gru
    JULY 9: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    JULY 9: The Forever Purge
    JULY 30: Jungle Cruise
    AUGUST 6: The Suicide Squad
    OCTOBER 1: The Batman
    OCTOBER 15: Halloween Kills
    ??? Candyman
    NOVEMBER 5: Eternals
    NOVEMBER 19: Mission: Impossible 7
    DECEMBER 10: West Side Story
    DECEMBER 17: Spider-Man Untitled Sequel
    DECEMBER 22: Black Adam

That's not even all of the films scheduled for the next year - see how cramped it is in places!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It'll only get worse if some of those films are inevitably delayed yet again.