NTTD & Corona

Comments

That's the thing, expectations are building up to a point where this film is sort of mythical and there's no way it'll keep up with that, even if it's as good as it looks.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed or annoyed, but the overly dramatic nature of comments that place sole blame on EON or threatening to not see the film at all come across as childish considering the current worldwide climate. It's not the only film or franchise affected. I would love nothing more than for them to just get the film out at this point in whatever means possible (limited theatrical, VOD, Blu-ray, etc...), but all the same it will come when it comes. I'd also love to go back to live events and concerts, but if events currently scheduled for 2021 get delayed again I'm hardly going to place blame on the artists or threaten to give up on them. This entire situation is completely unprecedented.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I find a lot of the high horse rebukes equally childish as the irrational venting.. EON is not to blame for COVID and the confused mess of trying to release NTTD. Now, they are responsible for the confused mess that was the preproduction of NTTD. It’s just unfortunate circumstance that one serious train wreck follows another minor one we all care about. It’s time to switch off any anticipation of this movie for a long time, not April, probably not 2021.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 123
    I call BS on everyone claiming their excitement for NTTD will be "gone" by the time this thing is finally released and they won't see it in theaters. You know darn well that when things are back to "normal," when it's safe to go back to theaters (assuming the theater industry as we know it still exists by then) the sheer joy of finally getting to see a new Bond film after a six (possibly longer) year wait will drive each and every one of us to the cinema in droves.

Having said that, it is maddening that both times the film has been delayed this year, EON waited until what felt like the eleventh hour to make the announcement. Not a good look, especially this time around, what with the second marketing blitz and the insistence as recently as this week that it would still be out in November.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    I find a lot of the high horse rebukes equally childish as the irrational venting.. EON is not to blame for COVID and the confused mess of trying to release NTTD. Now, they are responsible for the confused mess that was the preproduction of NTTD. It’s just unfortunate circumstance that one serious train wreck follows another minor one we all care about. It’s time to switch off any anticipation of this movie for a long time, not April, probably not 2021.

But what bearing does that have on the COVID related delays? Had it not been for the pandemic, the film would have come out in April as planned and the initially troubled production would only be a footnote as we'd be busy discussing the film.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well it's not like they said "We're thrilled to announce..."
    Ryan wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed or annoyed, but the overly dramatic nature of comments that place sole blame on EON or threatening to not see the film at all come across as childish considering the current worldwide climate. It's not the only film or franchise affected. I would love nothing more than for them to just get the film out at this point in whatever means possible (limited theatrical, VOD, Blu-ray, etc...), but all the same it will come when it comes. I'd also love to go back to live events and concerts, but if events currently scheduled for 2021 get delayed again I'm hardly going to place blame on the artists or threaten to give up on them. This entire situation is completely unprecedented.

+ 1

Of course I’m sad about not getting a new bond film, especially during these times, but my only frustration with eon is the last two delays coming at the 11th hour after an ad blitz. I see the new April date the same way. I can’t imagine how it could possibly release then, as things aren’t going to be much better. Probably going to be fall/ winter 2021.
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    I don't think I will be watching NTTD in movie theaters in April. Not because I am angry at EON, this delay really isn't their fault. It's just that the excitement is all gone.

Seriously? I really can't understand this perspective or that from many other so-called fans. At what point does it just become trolling? I ask because it's only this user's second post. It's partly why I don't visit this thread that much because it's a lot of impatience and entitlement.

I honestly didn't think we'd get the film in November and who knows for April. It's out of mine, yours, his, her's, basically everybody's control. So why say now there's no excitement for a film that hasn't been released? I still get excitement from the 25 other Bond films that have been released: Though I've seen them countless times, Connery's introduction in DN; watching Bond and Grant slug it out on the Orient Express; the laser table in GF; and on and on I still get excited.

And like a lot of the other things we are missing due to this pandemic we used to enjoy, the way I see it, it will likely be even sweeter to experience than before. Having NTTD down the road gives me something to look forward to and isn't my only positive in life. It's just one of many.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I enjoy a good movie when I see a good movie. If NTTD is a good movie, I'll enjoy it when I see it, be it next April or in five years from now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    EON is not to blame for COVID

Do we really know that for certain, though?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    coco1997 wrote: »
    I call BS on everyone claiming their excitement for NTTD will be "gone" by the time this thing is finally released and they won't see it in theaters. You know darn well that when things are back to "normal," when it's safe to go back to theaters (assuming the theater industry as we know it still exists by then) the sheer joy of finally getting to see a new Bond film after a six (possibly longer) year wait will drive each and every one of us to the cinema in droves.

Having said that, it is maddening that both times the film has been delayed this year, EON waited until what felt like the eleventh hour to make the announcement. Not a good look, especially this time around, what with the second marketing blitz and the insistence as recently as this week that it would still be out in November.

Exactly, no matter what people say that they won't watch it or their excitement will be gone. The moment we sat in theatre, it will come back again.
  • Will the general public's excitement come back though, or will they have moved on from it or forgotten about it?
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    EON is not to blame for COVID

Do we really know that for certain, though?
    I say further research is needed.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Will the general public's excitement come back though, or will they have moved on from it or forgotten about it?

You could say that about any film that’s been delayed multiple times. BLACK WIDOW, TOP GUN 2, F9, WONDER WOMAN 1984, etc.

Let’s stop pretending this is only unique to Bond.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 10,588
    There were nine years between The Bourne Ultimatum and Jason Bourne, during which Matt Damon was absent from the part. I don’t see how Bond being absent for five to six can be enough to diminish audience interest in an established franchise.

People will go off and think about other things for a few months and when a final trailer and marketing campaign is launched, excitement and anticipation will inevitably go up again.
    jake24 wrote: »
    There were nine years between The Bourne Ultimatum and Jason Bourne, during which Matt Damon was absent from the part. I don’t see how Bond being absent for five to six can be enough to diminish audience interest in an established franchise.

People will go off and think about other things for a few months and when a final trailer and marketing campaign is launched, excitement and anticipation will inevitably go up again.

And we already saw what happened when six years take place between films. People aren’t going to miraculously forget about Bond just because the gap between releases was longer than usual.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    If anything, the opposite is more likely to happen.
    Will the general public's excitement come back though, or will they have moved on from it or forgotten about it?

You could say that about any film that’s been delayed multiple times. BLACK WIDOW, TOP GUN 2, F9, WONDER WOMAN 1984, etc.

"Godzilla vs. Kong" was filmed in the fall of 2018. It's first release date was March 2020, now it's May 2021. This movie is way older than NTTD and had more delays than Bond.

And "Ghostbusters 3", "Jungle Cruise", "West Side Story" and lots of others wrapped filming long before NTTD did.
    When we get to see Spielberg's version of "West Side Story", the images we see will be older, than the images we see in NTTD.
    "Jungle Cruise" was filmed in spring of 2018, and will be released in July 2021.

James Bond will still be the freshest movie of all the big movies, that may come out.
  • All these unreleased films that have been in the can for a while will feel like nostalgic period pieces whenever they come out.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    EON and MGM panicked because of Trump's diagnosis. Simple as that. They would have spared everyone if they had just delayed the film indefinitely from the get go. Everyone at the studios sees what the climate is like, so why spend so much money on ramping up something that is more than likely NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

The whole coronavirus situation will not be over by April 2, 2021. Are the execs. getting drunk and impulsively pushing the delay button with some random date? I would like to know if the higher ups are on the same planet as everybody else.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Troubling. Regal and Cineworld close theaters, citing Bond as the reason
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/3/21500538/regal-cineworld-theaters-shut-down-james-bond-us-uk
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 2,598
    Like this ad. Enjoy seeing Shanghai, the city this expatriate lives in. :)

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-dhl-commercial?id=04769

No Time To Die for April 2031! Seriously though, eventually when I am sitting in the cinema watching this film, it’ll be difficult to fathom that it’s actually happening...
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/3/21500538/regal-cineworld-theaters-shut-down-james-bond-us-uk

This could be partly the reason that Wilson, Broccoli, and Fukunaga signed their signatures on the letter to the US government to aid theater chains from going out of business.

This is the issue that some have been warning us about for months. Cinemas are businesses and like all businesses they cannot run indefinitely with no income. They still have to pay staff (or at least some staff), pay building expenses, rates, utility bills, security bills for their premises and so on. At some point they run out of money and they close for good.

If film distributors delay too long then there won’t be many big screens left to show their films. They seem to be assuming that delaying to spring/summer 2021 will be fine, but that might not be the case. Some cinema chains could go bust over the winter.
  • The film should have been brought forward to October, if not kept where it was in November.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I didn t have much interest in The New Mutants until the latest trailer came out. I really wanted to go see that one now, but ever since it debuted here there has been only one really late screening daily, and I am unfortunately not unemployed. I need sleep at night.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,021

This is the issue that some have been warning us about for months. Cinemas are businesses and like all businesses they cannot run indefinitely with no income. They still have to pay staff (or at least some staff), pay building expenses, rates, utility bills, security bills for their premises and so on. At some point they run out of money and they close for good.

If film distributors delay too long then there won’t be many big screens left to show their films. They seem to be assuming that delaying to spring/summer 2021 will be fine, but that might not be the case. Some cinema chains could go bust over the winter.

And yet, nobody is going to the theaters, because nobody feels safe going into a room full of people taking their masks off and eating garbage food.

This seems to be a case of damned if you do damned if you don't. This is why theater chains are looking for governments to bail them out so they don't die off.

Survivors of the 1918 pandemic have said that it took almost three years for any kind of normalcy to return to societies. So perhaps it'll be a very long time before theaters reopen. But then again, there was no such thing as VOD in 1918, so perhaps movie theaters in modern society will be seen as less than essential, and would opt to just watch at home.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 348
    The harsh truth is that cinemas need these films now, not 6 months or so from now (if they're lucky).
    I’m beginning to agree, I think that film distributors should release the films while cinemas are still actually a thing that exists.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,021
    The harsh truth is that cinemas need these films now, not 6 months or so from now (if they're lucky).

Another harsh truth is that cinemas need audiences, and they did not turn up enough for TENET, NEW MUTANTS, UNHINGED, or whatever. This was why studios have recently pushed back all their big films just a few days after TENET opened abysmally.

Until people feel safe going to the movies, theater chains are not going to be the place they want to go to no matter what films are out.

@DaltonCraig007 was spot on about this.